The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Khan: I may fight Manny!

+11
joeyjojo618
Valero's Conscience
coxy0001
Khan's Driving Instructor
huw
School Project
Fists of Fury
Rowley
JDandfries
Michaels, Sean
cave_man_KO
15 posters

Go down

Khan: I may fight Manny! Empty Khan: I may fight Manny!

Post by cave_man_KO Wed 19 Oct 2011, 2:23 pm

Amir has today come out and claimed a fight could be on the cards with Manny, and they are no longer allowed to spar as manny's team "seem to want to keep them apart." and there are tensions in camp etc

Seems an odd claim to make,

No legs in it for me for a number of reasons

Most obvious Freddy Roach would not go for this,

Second, one is Top Rank the other Goldenboy, and Bob arum doesnt pay out to non top rank fighters these days.

there are others.

Your thoughts?? Could we see this?? I'd be intrigued but can only see a manny knockout victory, Amir cannot handle his power.

cave_man_KO

Back to top Go down

Khan: I may fight Manny! Empty Re: Khan: I may fight Manny!

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 19 Oct 2011, 2:29 pm

If Khan got his jab going I don't see why he couldn't dominate Pacquiao
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Wed 19 Oct 2011, 2:31 pm

I am starting to like Amir Khan, the amount of dog doo he comes out with is starting to become funny!!

Khan v Klitchko Sept 2012??

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 19 Oct 2011, 2:32 pm

Still think the Mayweather fight is more likely, as you have alluded to cannot imagine a Golden Boy TopRank fight would be too easy to make, and Floyd avoids this. Would also think stylistically Amir would fancy his chances more with Floyd who has been troubled by speed in the past (Judah). He has also expressed an interest in fighting in the UK, have to think a mega fight at Wembley would appeal to any and all British fighters.

That said I am actually pleased if this is the case, don't like seeing fights ruled out on stuff like they are mates or share the same gym.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 19 Oct 2011, 2:32 pm

He may do ok for a little while Sean, but there is no way Khan stands up to some of the shots Manny throws. Khan is definitely hittable, and if Maidana can tag him then Pacquaio demolishes him.

Can't see it happening, anyway.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Wed 19 Oct 2011, 2:40 pm

Khan can talk about it, but before he even thinks about fighting Manny or Floyd, be needs to think about fighting another Top 10 Welter in Berto or Ortiz. Rather than the possibility of Matthew Hatton.

Khans all mouth and its getting a bit boring.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 19 Oct 2011, 2:47 pm

School Project wrote:Khan can talk about it, but before he even thinks about fighting Manny or Floyd, be needs to think about fighting another Top 10 Welter in Berto or Ortiz. Rather than the possibility of Matthew Hatton.

Bit harsh, accept he sometimes puts his foot in his mouth but struggle to see what more anyone could have really asked from him at light welter, Bradley aside and not too sure how much blame for that rests at Amir's door. Think it would be a bit harsh to criticise him for his time at welter before he actually joins the division.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Wed 19 Oct 2011, 3:04 pm

Maybe Khan is talking about this to make him seem a better option for Mayweather?

If he makes the US think he's a realistic option for Pacman then he'll also seem more realistic for Floyd.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Khan's Driving Instructor Wed 19 Oct 2011, 3:09 pm

I'm sure I read somewhere that Roach said should Khan and Pacquiao get it on, he'd be in Manny's corner, which is more than understandable so not liking Khan's chances there!

I think Roach has also said that Pacman's people don't let him spar with Amir so you would have to think that they are preparing for the possibility of a match-up, somewhere down the line.

Back to top Go down

Post by Khan's Driving Instructor Wed 19 Oct 2011, 3:10 pm

Here we are:

http://www.boxingscene.com/freddie-roach-i-see-pacquiao-khan-happening--44755

Back to top Go down

Post by cave_man_KO Wed 19 Oct 2011, 3:20 pm

I agree with him taking on the best names at welter, i think he will carry the weight well, keep his speed and perhaps increase power.

A fight with Berto could be a good one. think he would destroy ortiz (who has fought on khans undercards lets not forget) Think he beats berto aswell.

Manny and floyd are a different kettle of fish though as we all know.

We all know that it is likely to be manny vs bradley next, arum doing his veyr best to keep his cash cow well away from the only fighter who is above manny

cave_man_KO

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Wed 19 Oct 2011, 3:22 pm

If he splits with Roach it's gotta be now, otherwise he comes into a big fight without a trainer he knows.

Can't see it happening though

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 19 Oct 2011, 3:51 pm

A friend of mine asked why so many people are not keen on Khan and I say it's because of all his dribble that leaves his mouth.

He's got a proven track record of saying stupid comments and then when backed into a corner about it, refutes his previous comments i.e. fighting Mayweather next and then when asked saying he meant 3 or so fights away i.e. when Mayweather is retired or in terms of how often he fights about 37 years old!

He's an exceptional fighter and within a fight or two will be Top 10 P4P IMO but his ego is irritating. Probably not helped by the fact he has a large number of hanger-on's and yes-men probably fuelling his comments.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyjojo618 Wed 19 Oct 2011, 4:03 pm

Why is it stupid or egotistical for Khan to say 1) He might fight Manny or 2) He will fight Floyd in three or so fights?

You might have a good point, but I cant see it at the moment.

joeyjojo618

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 19 Oct 2011, 4:07 pm

joeyjojo618 wrote:Why is it stupid or egotistical for Khan to say 1) He might fight Manny or 2) He will fight Floyd in three or so fights?

It isn't, we slate fighters on here for staying at home and not fighting the best but when one of our fighters does express a desire to do the opposite he is a jumped up little upstart who's ego is out of control. Damned if you do, damned if you don't as I believe the saying goes.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Wed 19 Oct 2011, 4:21 pm

It's not abnormal to have feelings that Khan could win this fight if Manny (getting no younger) starts feeling shopworn or the spinach he's taking is no longer gives him the Popeye strength he's used to, having climbed 16 weight categories from miniature flyweight to cruiserweight in just a few years.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 19 Oct 2011, 4:41 pm

joeyjojo618 wrote:Why is it stupid or egotistical for Khan to say 1) He might fight Manny or 2) He will fight Floyd in three or so fights?

You might have a good point, but I cant see it at the moment.

Because IMO he wouldn't fight Manny so just says it to draw attention to himself and if he was questioned about by a reporter he'll no doubt back track and say something entirely different.

With regards to Mayweather it's not stupid to say you want to fight him but is when you say fight him next and then say "oh well, umm, I didn't mean right next, I mean in 3 or so fights", which is completely different.

I would like to see both fights and although I think both Manny and Mayweather would beat Khan, the more I think about it I don't think it'll as one sided as most think, although he's slack defence will most likely see him getting sparked in the championship rounds.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Wed 19 Oct 2011, 4:42 pm

Here's a link to the article in question?

http://www.espn.co.uk/boxing/sport/story/116775.html

Maybe Manny/Manny's people are not happy because Amir is closer at getting a shot at Mayweather than he is. You never know!

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Wed 19 Oct 2011, 5:06 pm

Super D Boon wrote:It's not abnormal to have feelings that Khan could win this fight if Manny (getting no younger) starts feeling shopworn or the spinach he's taking is no longer gives him the Popeye strength he's used to, having climbed 16 weight categories from miniature flyweight to cruiserweight in just a few years.
What are you trying to say Super D, its all that chicken and pasta Manny eats that gives him his strength and power to knock bigger blokes out at higher weights and not flinch when they connect on him. Wink

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 19 Oct 2011, 6:13 pm

if khan fought the manny that turned up against mosley i dont think he would have a problem with him. however dont think you can really judge pac man by one performance. khan for me is making a real effort at becoming p4p, and i think he should be applauded for trying to get these fights, i dont see why mannys team would stop him sparring with khan unless they were serious about him as a opponent, otherwise they are just blocking him excellent sparring practice which isnt logical. khan could well be perfectly positioned to become THE man after mayweather and paqciuao, there both on the verge of retirement, and no one will blame him for having a few fights at welter before taking on those two so they will be even older by the time he's ready.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Wed 19 Oct 2011, 6:49 pm

rowley wrote:
School Project wrote:Khan can talk about it, but before he even thinks about fighting Manny or Floyd, be needs to think about fighting another Top 10 Welter in Berto or Ortiz. Rather than the possibility of Matthew Hatton.

Bit harsh, accept he sometimes puts his foot in his mouth but struggle to see what more anyone could have really asked from him at light welter, Bradley aside and not too sure how much blame for that rests at Amir's door. Think it would be a bit harsh to criticise him for his time at welter before he actually joins the division.

Granted he's done well at LWW and Bradley clearly wants no part of Khan. But let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

The kid is saying he'll fight Mayweather, he'll fight Pacquiao, he wants the best etc etc. Why NOT take on Berto or Ortiz or Zaveck or even Mike Jones?

Instead there's talk of him fighting Matthew Hatton??

Like I said, he's all mouth. Wins over the likes if Mcklosky and Matthew Hatton shouldn't boost him straight into the big fights at Welterweight. Remember, Pacquiao and Mayweather aren't World class fighters, they are Elite. Khan won't learn anything by fighting bums before getting in with these guys.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down