The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scarlets sign Tongan wing Viliame Iongi

4 posters

Go down

Scarlets sign Tongan wing Viliame Iongi Empty Scarlets sign Tongan wing Viliame Iongi

Post by pioden gorllewin Sat 22 Oct 2011, 2:58 pm

The Scarlets have signed Tonga utility back Viliame Iongi on a long-term contract.

Iongi has won nine caps for Tonga and represented his country at the World Cup in New Zealand.

The 22-year-old has played at full-back and centre as well as on the wing for Tonga and is expected to arrive in Wales in early November

"It's a great opportunity for me and as my first professional rugby contract," said Iongi.

"I'm now going to get the chance to play in Europe and hope the way I play will fit in well with their style.

"I'm looking forward to being part of such a professional set-up and will give it everything I can. The Scarlets play great rugby and I'm looking forward to being part of the team."

Iongi has also been capped by Tonga at Under-20 level and has also played for the Brumbies Academy Team in Canberra.

He will link-up with fellow Tongan Sione Timani, who joined the Scarlets in June and head coach Nigel Davies said he was delighted with Iongi's signing.

"He is certainly an exciting prospect for us and his attacking ability will fit in with the style and brand of rugby we seek to play," said Davies.

"He's impressed with his pace and will provide us with some new options."
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Scarlets sign Tongan wing Viliame Iongi Empty Re: Scarlets sign Tongan wing Viliame Iongi

Post by pioden gorllewin Sat 22 Oct 2011, 3:08 pm

does that make five oversea players for us? Lamont,Ruki Tipuna,Deacon Manu,Sione Timani and now this new guy. I'm pretty happy with the signing, sure he wouldn't have commanded a huge salary. I wouldn't mind if Lamont didn't have his contract renewed (how long is left on it?) sure he is on a big salary, and i don't think we need him anymore. Current wingers are:

G North
A Fenby
Viliame Iongi
M Stoddard
S Lamont
Lee Williams
L Rees
Liam Williams

pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Scarlets sign Tongan wing Viliame Iongi Empty Re: Scarlets sign Tongan wing Viliame Iongi

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sat 22 Oct 2011, 3:13 pm

and reynolds and ford

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sat 22 Oct 2011, 3:16 pm

I think we need to keep Lamont as he's a very good player, can come into the midfield as well, offers us a lot of physicality, experience, speed - he's also been playing very well for Scotland and a back 3 of Stoddart, North and Lamont is quite fearsome.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Sat 22 Oct 2011, 3:44 pm

smirnoffpriest:

see nic reynolds more of a 13 and dale ford more of a 15. but your right as well as scott williams they can cover on the wings too.

pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Sat 22 Oct 2011, 8:04 pm

Lamont is quality for Scarlets. It's all very well having the rapier but it helps to have a cannon along side it
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sat 22 Oct 2011, 8:56 pm

Only Lamont and North are up to Hieneken standard as Stoddart is a long term injury. This new Tongan could be very busy in the big games.

With everyone fit though the Scarlets can pick from: Stoddart, Priestland, North, Lamont, JD2, Scott Williams, Jones and Tavis. Not a bad squad!

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Sat 22 Oct 2011, 9:49 pm

lamont does play well for us, and is quality(heineken). but guess just being pragmatic, and the region cutting it's cloth accordingly. know the non - playing staff of the region took a pay cut about a month ago. think lamont salary would be better spent on a lock (mainly area the squad needs strengthening). think we can cover the centres and wings without him. although agree with other posters he is quality for us, runs hard and straight & always gives 100%. this is all hypothetical though, cause don't know how long his contract has got left to run? also has anyone heard what's happening with deacon's contract?
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sun 23 Oct 2011, 12:03 am

I see where your coming from Pioden, good points - I'm hoping this new fijian (?) lock helps solve our lock problems, but from what my parents tell me of his 1st game he doesn't look up to much. Thats not good news about the non-playing staff.

I was wondering about Manu as well, as I think he's a very good member of the team but there was news he was going in the summer and then nothing after that and he's still here, but you'd think that a decent int TH would be snapped up by some club if there was a chance to sign him.

I hope he stays anyway (even tho Gardiner looks quite good)

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down