The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bristol sign Ruki Tipuna from Llanelli Scarlets

3 posters

Go down

Bristol sign Ruki Tipuna from Llanelli Scarlets Empty Bristol sign Ruki Tipuna from Llanelli Scarlets

Post by Shifty Tue 08 Nov 2011, 3:43 pm

Bristol Rugby have bolstered their backline options further with the capture of scrum-half Ruki Tipuna from Llanelli Scarlets.

The 28 year-old has represented New Zealand Sevens, widely regarded as the finest sevens team in the world, and New Zealand Maori. He has provincial experience with Bay of Plenty and Wellington, facing the British Lions on their 2005 tour.

Tipuna joined the Scarlets on a short-term contract in the summer of 2011, making his debut against Connacht in September. Providing cover for World Cup absentees, he made a total of six appearances for the Welsh province, including four starts in the RaboDirect Pro12.

Head Coach Liam Middleton commented: “We’re pleased to add Ruki to the squad – he’s a talented player with International experience, representing New Zealand Maori in their victories against England and Ireland in 2010. He captained a very successful New Zealand Schoolboys team so he will bring some leadership to our group.

“Ruki is sharp around the fringes and will cause problems for opposition defences. I think his style will suit the way we want to play and I am sure he will fit into our culture very quickly.”
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Bristol sign Ruki Tipuna from Llanelli Scarlets Empty Re: Bristol sign Ruki Tipuna from Llanelli Scarlets

Post by Shifty Tue 08 Nov 2011, 3:45 pm

He hadn't long arrived at the Scarlets, I'm guessing the Scarlets decided they didn't need him and will continue to develop their young players.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Bristol sign Ruki Tipuna from Llanelli Scarlets Empty Re: Bristol sign Ruki Tipuna from Llanelli Scarlets

Post by Turkster Tue 08 Nov 2011, 3:52 pm

he was signed for 3 months as world cup cover, it actually says that in the article, probabaly news of Rhodri Gomer-Davies leaving will be heard soon as well.

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 08 Nov 2011, 3:54 pm

Quite annoyed with that and no wonder he wasn't on the bench against the Ospreys - such a shame we lost him as Rhodri Williams is def not upto this standard yet and if we could have kept him on it would have been really good during the 6 Nations - though I suppose Davies will be back by then

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 08 Nov 2011, 3:55 pm

I hope we've seen the last of Gomer - I knew he wasn't good when we signed him but I thought he'd offer a bit more of an experienced head for the youngster than he did, he was awful.

I've heard Aled Thomas is going to Carmarthenshire Quins as well

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Tue 08 Nov 2011, 4:14 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:Quite annoyed with that and no wonder he wasn't on the bench against the Ospreys - such a shame we lost him as Rhodri Williams is def not upto this standard yet and if we could have kept him on it would have been really good during the 6 Nations - though I suppose Davies will be back by then

I think the big hope they've got is Aled Davies, rather than Gareth, Gareth is very aggressive, quick around the fringes but Aled seems to be that with an excellent pass too. Rhodri's still a kid really and has to earn his place in the Llanelli team first, good thing for him though is that he's getting all this experience.

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 08 Nov 2011, 4:18 pm

Yeah hopefully this experience will help Rhodri really kick on and he did look a lot more composed when he came on against the Ospreys (in an admittedly poor game), haven't seen much of Aled Davies, but isn't he really young?

I like the look of Gareth Davies and think he's going to be very good, but obviously can't compare him to Aled.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 08 Nov 2011, 4:33 pm

I actually thought Rhodri was really good when he came on agains the O's, certainly added a bit of zip to our game.

Good luck to Tipuna when he goes to Bristol. He's not a bad player and certainly did a good job for us when he was needed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 08 Nov 2011, 5:50 pm

Agree just wish hed stayd with us for the full 3months.do u know when g davies is back

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 08 Nov 2011, 5:55 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:I actually thought Rhodri was really good when he came on agains the O's, certainly added a bit of zip to our game.

Good luck to Tipuna when he goes to Bristol. He's not a bad player and certainly did a good job for us when he was needed.

I think it's fair to say it's much easier to come on in the last 10-15 minutes and do well as a scrum half, rather than start the game and do all the hard graft. Welsh fans (me included) were baying for Mike Phillips bloody during the 6 Nations and making a case for Knoyle based on him coming on as a second half replacement. But Knoyle was no better when he started games.

There must be something in Rhodri Williams, to be given a chance so early in his career, but to be he is no where near ready for Rabo direct level yet, he has been awful in most of the games I have seen him play.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 08 Nov 2011, 6:20 pm

He's been a mixed back. Against Ulster at times he was incredibly slow to get the ball away from the breakdown, but he is a very good sniping scrum half and set up one of our tries for us, the one before half time which proved crucial.

You can't teach that instic to go for the sniping runs so it's brilliant he's alraedy got that. You can work on him speeding up his passes though, and he was certainly quicker last Saturday. More exposure at this level can only help him, but it is a big risk taken by Nige.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 09 Nov 2011, 12:26 pm

He wasn't just slow against Ulster - everyone around where I was sitting were groaning everytime there was a ruck as by the time he managed to get the ball out we'd lost all momentum, the Ulster defence was set and they were right on top of the 1st reciever. He did score, but to be fair it more of an opportunistic try.

He is an instinctive back who snipes well, but Knoyle was the same when he came on to the scene, so it's a skill (or way of playing) which can come and go.
I think he needs a full season in the Prem before coming back a bit stronger and ready to challenge.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down