The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scarlets poised to sign Argentina ace Manuel Carizza

+4
Welshmushroom
Bathite
Rava
pioden gorllewin
8 posters

Go down

Scarlets poised to sign Argentina ace Manuel Carizza Empty Scarlets poised to sign Argentina ace Manuel Carizza

Post by pioden gorllewin Thu 05 Apr 2012, 12:34 pm

From walesonline:

ARGENTINA star Manuel Carizza is set to link up with the ambitious Scarlets for next season.

The 6ft 7in Biarritz lock forward, who played in last year's World Cup, has been lined up as a high-quality replacement for Blues-bound Wales international Lou Reed and Bath recruit Dominic Day by the Llanelli-based region.

Rosario product Carizza, 27, has been capped 23 times by Argentina

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2012/04/05/scarlets-poised-to-sign-argentina-ace-manuel-carizza-91466-30700911/

Would be a good signing, only one problem though. With the Four Nations this summer he wouldn't be available until early October, would miss pre season and also would be away during the AI's. That's the only reason Biarritz are letting him go this summer apparently.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Scarlets poised to sign Argentina ace Manuel Carizza Empty Re: Scarlets poised to sign Argentina ace Manuel Carizza

Post by Guest Thu 05 Apr 2012, 12:42 pm

6ft 7!! a lock!! am I dreaming????

oh my giddy days, please let this be true. I don't usualyl want us to sign any NWQ player, but we are so desperately in need of a good lock.

We could cope I think until December without him, just I think. Hmmmmm, an interesting one.

This is the most solid rumour I've read with regards to us signing anyone in a while though.

Back to top Go down

Scarlets poised to sign Argentina ace Manuel Carizza Empty Re: Scarlets poised to sign Argentina ace Manuel Carizza

Post by Rava Thu 05 Apr 2012, 12:45 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:6ft 7!! a lock!! am I dreaming????

oh my giddy days, please let this be true. I don't usualyl want us to sign any NWQ player, but we are so desperately in need of a good lock.

We could cope I think until December without him, just I think. Hmmmmm, an interesting one.

This is the most solid rumour I've read with regards to us signing anyone in a while though.

Dreamer, that's actually quite topical given the discussions elsewhere.

Its OK to sign a non I/W/S/E qualified player as long as he is a good one Rolling Eyes
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Thu 05 Apr 2012, 12:51 pm

Good player, been very solid for Biarritz and gained most of his caps off the back of his time there. They have had a weird old season though, so not suprised that they are letting a few go.

Good signing in my book.

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Thu 05 Apr 2012, 12:54 pm

Carizza would be a great signing. I really rate this guy at Lock. Very hard nosed.

If got no problems with these kind of signings.

The plus side is that while he would be away for preseason, up to October and would probably also need a break during Nov/Dec for recovery and traning he would be available for the remainder including the 6 Nations period which could work out in Scarlets favour.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Thu 05 Apr 2012, 12:58 pm

On the topic of Scarlet's locks, what is the general opinion on Day? Seemed pretty unlucky that Reed got picked ahead of him. Is he a lineout technician or enforcer type? I'm hoping he is good in the set piece and can lead a lineout.

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 05 Apr 2012, 12:58 pm

What a beast. Him and Timani will knock a few of the opposition down, the front 5 is exactly where you needed some muscle and now you have it. I am usually against NWQ players however not only do the Scarlets develop a lot of players for Wales they have also started doing it for England (Morgan, Day and Gilbert Wink). Should Scarlets win the Amlin this year I believe it will really set them up for greater things next season. Well done bois and Nige.

Anyway, until late October who will get the nod at 2nd row?

*EDIT - Bathite, D Day is good in the lineout and set-piece. I'd say he is more of work horse than enforcer. He should show up well for Bath.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Apr 2012, 1:02 pm

Rava wrote:
rugbydreamer wrote:6ft 7!! a lock!! am I dreaming????

Dreamer, that's actually quite topical given the discussions elsewhere.

Its OK to sign a non I/W/S/E qualified player as long as he is a good one Rolling Eyes

It's not quite as simple as that in this case Rava. We've tried for 3 seasons now to stick with the Welsh ones in Day and Reed and they were simply just not up to scratch. And it's the one position in our academy that we're struggling to develop players.

Non I/W/S/E qualified players have a place in every squad, but I would much rather they be a last resort, then my team just looking to make a big name signing (like we've done in the past).

As it stands next season we'll only have Manu (if he stays), Timani, Gilbert and Iongi as our NWQ. That's barely any at all! (and as it should be Smile )

Bathite - Day is an all round solid lock, and he's really stepped up this season (tis a shame he's left it so late with us though!) he's very athletic. I'd have loved for him to stay to see if he could kick on more, I reckon Bath might be getting the best years out of him OK

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Apr 2012, 1:04 pm

Until late October? We've got Timani and Welch left (if Reed is deffo leaving). We signed up a kid from Cross Keys and I'm not sure if we'll use Pugh from Carmarthen Quins.

Otherwise I can see us playing Shingler in the 2nd row a fair bit.

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 05 Apr 2012, 1:10 pm

I have read good things about the Cross Keys product and Pugh from the Quins, who Scarlets are yet to approach. Shingler is not a 2nd row IMO.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Thu 05 Apr 2012, 1:12 pm

So some rate Day, others think he isn't up to scratch. Jury's out then! Thanks for the knowledge though lads

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Apr 2012, 1:14 pm

Which Crosskeys lock have you signed? Dan Hodge?

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Thu 05 Apr 2012, 1:16 pm

risca:

lewis rawlins apparently from cross keys - on the same note the dragons have shown an interest in haydn pugh the lock from carmarthen quins.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Apr 2012, 1:16 pm

He wasn't up to scratch until this season Bathite, he's really upped his performances this year OK

He's a good supporting forward as well (see his try against the Blues just a couple of weeks ago!)

He also very nearly scored against Saints in the LV semi-final. He's a good guy. Think we're all sad (including him) that he's leaving Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 05 Apr 2012, 1:18 pm

pioden gorllewin wrote:risca:

lewis rawlins apparently from cross keys - on the same note the dragons have shown an interest in haydn pugh the lock from carmarthen quins.

I think it's a case of you nick one from our Region we'll nick one from yours.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Thu 05 Apr 2012, 1:19 pm

Day is a modern athletic lock. does well in lineouts,tackles well (occasional big hit too), carriers well, has a good engine on him.....but his problem is he blows hot and cold too often. also sometimes lacks aggression/grunt that you want from your second row. but he's played well this season, and was unlucky not to make the welsh squad ahead of his team mate lou reed in my opinion. like dreamer has mentioned, bath have probably signed him with his best years ahead of him.

pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Thu 05 Apr 2012, 1:22 pm

morgannwg:

it looks that way - but it's good to see the regions developing players from the premiership.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu 05 Apr 2012, 1:45 pm

Dreamer I don't have an issue with signing non qualified players for the reasons you state. It was just an interesting development for me given the amount of flak Ulster are getting from the Southern Irish press about over reliance on NIQ's and the damage being done to Irish rugby. furious
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Apr 2012, 2:02 pm

well, to be fair Rava, you do have quite a lot of NIQ's in your squad Wink Run

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Apr 2012, 2:11 pm

pioden gorllewin wrote:risca:

Ah cheers. I am hoping that the Dragons take a look at Hodge sooner rather than later. Well a lot of the Crosskeys front five deserve a shot really.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu 05 Apr 2012, 2:21 pm

Manu (if he stays), Timani, Gilbert and Iongi as our NWQ. That's barely any at all! Plus you forgot Manuel Carizza.

4/5 next year is good, its very close to the 4+1 Irish provinces are allowed next year, so not sure it could be labled barely any at all. But it should be the target for regional/Proviencial/District/Superclub teams.

Ulsters current 5+1, plus another 1 (as injury cover to the end of the season) isn't really a big deal, jsut some people like to clutch at straws to try and turn then into a rod to beat you with.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 05 Apr 2012, 2:25 pm

I believe 5 NWQ is the ruling Kingshu. Like I said I have no problem with particular teams doing it so long as they keep developing Welsh players, which in the Scarlets case they have done and still do. Having some overseas players helps when you have games on international weekends and a small player pool. Scarlets should again next year be able to put put a decent XV whilst players are on Wales duty.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu 05 Apr 2012, 2:45 pm

My personal opinion is if your allowed 5NWQ you should get the very best 5 NWQ you can, in positions you need them. These guys are the leaders and experienced players when the 6 nations are on and your internationals are rested.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Apr 2012, 2:53 pm

Kingshu - when you factor in that Iongi and Gilbert aren't first choice but seen more as squad cover, you'd be looking at 3 starting at most (and we tend to rotate Timani a lot) for the Scarlets. All the rest in the most part are local lads, which is what the supporters want to see OK

I don't buy the whole, if you are allowed a certain quota you should fill it. You should only buy them if you really need them (as we do in the 2nd row position)

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Thu 05 Apr 2012, 4:24 pm

Interesting to see the stance on Argentinian players by English and French clubs.

Personally I think the upside is much bigger than the negatives. Lets have a look:-

Negatives - Not available for pre season conditioning, away for the beginning of the league and first 2 rounds of the HC.

Positives - Lack of suitors probably means they are very affordable, 4 Nations exposure will make them better players in the long run, available for the Janauary to May title run ins. International calibre players so will also increase exposure of current club when participating in world events.

No Brainer really.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Apr 2012, 4:25 pm

Nigel has announced he knows nothing of Carizza, but he has confirmed that we are looking at signing two top locks, apparently.

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 05 Apr 2012, 5:44 pm

Welshmushroom wrote:Interesting to see the stance on Argentinian players by English and French clubs.

Personally I think the upside is much bigger than the negatives. Lets have a look:-

Negatives - Not available for pre season conditioning, away for the beginning of the league and first 2 rounds of the HC.

Positives - Lack of suitors probably means they are very affordable, 4 Nations exposure will make them better players in the long run, available for the Janauary to May title run ins. International calibre players so will also increase exposure of current club when participating in world events.

No Brainer really.

The English clubs seem to be more a case of if they're first choice players then keep them. If they're squad players it's not worth keeping them. There don't seem to be THAT many Argentinos in England (most are in France I think). Comacho, Mieres, Ayerza are first choice probably. Then there's Vallajos (not great IMO), Aguilla (ok but not worth it for the Tigers when he's replaced with Benjamin and Thompson). I'm sure there are more but can't think off the top of my head.

Regarding this guy, I assume summer tours will still go to Argentina, then 4-nations, then AI. That's going to be continuous playing almost from June/July. Is he going to be able to keep going from Dec-May? Certainly not in the long run.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Apr 2012, 11:47 am

Rawlins is on the bench tomorrow for the Keys, so I guess he isn't first choice there. I guess your management have seen enough somewhere though.

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Fri 06 Apr 2012, 12:14 pm

Could do with a decent tight had as well. Manu isn't really up to it and Paul john had never really set the world on fire.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Sat 07 Apr 2012, 4:05 pm

mckay:

manu hasn't been offered a contract so far, the managment are hoping that they can find a better alternative for the same money. the "B plan" is to convert rhodri jones into a TH. there is also pete "the meat" edwards and simon gardiner, but i believe no decision has yet been made whether to retain them for next season.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down