The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The next star?

+5
Mad for Chelsea
laverfan
legendkillar
Tenez
wow
9 posters

Go down

future no. 1

The next star?  Vote_lcap13%The next star?  Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 2 ]
The next star?  Vote_lcap67%The next star?  Vote_rcap 67% 
[ 10 ]
The next star?  Vote_lcap7%The next star?  Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 1 ]
The next star?  Vote_lcap0%The next star?  Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
The next star?  Vote_lcap13%The next star?  Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 15

The next star?  Empty The next star?

Post by wow Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:03 pm

Although this has been discussed few times before however I am putting this question to predict for next year.

IMO there are few contenders for this - Dimitrov, raonic, Tomic and Young/Harrison/Sweeting etc. So far Raonic and Tomic has made better progress than anyone else in the pro tour but I think that Dimitrov will be the one for the future. I watched his matches recently and he does seems to have a complete game. At the moment he is lacking the belief to make a significant impact 2012 might become a different stroy if he will get some good wins under his belt.

Tomic has already done well and progressing into higher ranks. He has beaten the seeded players as well. When he played that close match against Cilic at Aussie open 2010 many said that Cilic was playing bad but tomic too is a good player and have got lot of variety. Djoko had a tough time against him at US open and Fed also have complimented him.

Raonic has a booming serve but to me he seems like another power player and he might be more suited to grass courts owing to his faster serve. He has played few close matches and made good progress so far. Hip injury during Wimby was a setback but he seems to be getting his confidence back.

I am unsure on the prospects of young, kudla, sweeting, harrison or anyo ther rising star. I did not mention Nishikori, Dolg as they are already over 20 and havent managed much so far.

Last edited by wow on Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:53 am; edited 1 time in total

wow

Back to top Go down

The next star?  Empty Re: The next star?

Post by Tenez Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:18 pm

I am not a fan of Raonic but he seems to have mental strength to back up his power game.

I quite like Harisson who I thought when I first saw him would never have the mental strength to reach the top but I may have been wrong there.

Young will struggle in my view against the other top players though again, on the day can blast any player off the court. Just inconsistent...I believe.

Tomic, saw him versus Djoko live at Wimbledon. Good certainly but not a fan of his game.

I am hoping Dimitrov will take off but I would not bet my house on that!

Above all I hope the conditions will change soon with a pacier game allowing more varied styles to thrive.

But I think those young players are going to catch up the top 4 quicker than one might think!

Watch 2012...shoudl be even tougher at the very top!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:21 pm

so who is your bet then?
My bet will on Dimi.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:27 pm

I hope Dimitrov does. To me he has the most in his game to offer. Dolgo and Tomic I think will be up there in time. Love them or hate them have got the mentality to go with their game. Like Raonic. The Americans concern me because they haven't really taken off like their predicessors.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:36 pm

Dolgopolov (a bit older) has the carefree style, which also results in inconsistency, that is beautiful to watch, like AO 2011 (took out Tsonga, Soderling, and Murray - almost).

Some fans of Federer hope that baby Federer = Dimitrov succeeds.

There are some younger stars, like Berta, Boluda, Minna (remember him @FO), Vesily, Golding, Thiem, et al, who are already knocking on the doors of professional tennis.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:46 pm

Minna has not taken off from that FO. And yes I am a fedfan and I want Dimi to do well.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:55 pm

Should have mentioned Jack Sock as well. Wink

Dimitrov should do well. He does have a lot of expectations, though. Hopefully, he can handle the pressure of expectations and play well. Stockholm was a reasonable outing, but Raonic overpowered him.

Raonic almost had Monfils today and was up a set and a break. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:59 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqYE7E2NR7s

The guy has variety in his shots and can volley as well. Brave play but he should win as well. I think 2012 will be a turnaround year for him.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:26 pm

I think it's going to be between Harisson, Raonic and Tomic in the current conds, Dimitrov if the conds pace up.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:02 am

Can't see Dimitrov ever making it to the very top. He strikes me almost as another Gasquet: great talent, very aesthetically pleasing game, but lacks that extra something that will take him to the very top of the game. Doesn't strike me as being strong enough mentally unfortunately.

Raonic could make it if he manages to stay injury-free, but I have my doubts. Think Tomic is the best bet, seems to have really stepped it up this year, and he certainly has the game to succeed.

Dolgopolov will be a fixture in the top 10/20 but a bit too much of a maverick for me. He'll play some great matches and beat the very best, but won't be consistent enough to dominate.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Positively 4th Street Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:11 am

I agree with MfC in that my vote goes to Tomic. Raonic will cause damage now and then, but will struggle on clay and be a bit inconsistent in my view. Don't think Dimitrov or Harrison will be stars as such, but both should make the top 20, even 10, in due course.

Positively 4th Street

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:43 pm

wow - when you say sweeting are you talking about ryan sweeting? the 24 year old american who is older than dolgo and nishikori by 1 and 2 years respectively. He is a one dimensional power player who i can't see making a big impact on the game.
If you are talking about another sweeting my bad!

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:52 pm

LuvSports! wrote:wow - when you say sweeting are you talking about ryan sweeting? the 24 year old american who is older than dolgo and nishikori by 1 and 2 years respectively. He is a one dimensional power player who i can't see making a big impact on the game.
If you are talking about another sweeting my bad!

Completely agree. This guy is awful.

I think Raonic is the most likely one to break into the top 10. He has a huge weapon with his serve and appears to be strong mentally.

Tomic has potential but he needs to become more offensive minded. He won't be able to grind it out with the best of them from the baseline unless he takes more risks; he is just too big and does not have the movement.

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:56 pm

Sorry I mixed him up with Harrison Smile

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:24 pm

You mean Harisson Wink

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:52 pm

Tenez wrote:You mean Harisson Wink

Grammar policing, tenez Smile besides that I have spelt his name right.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:03 pm

Ouch you righ!! I swear I saw it written the other way around somewhere!

my bad!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:58 pm

I'm impressed with Bernard. I saw him in a junior Wimbledon final in...2008 maybe. He looked like a good player then.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:20 pm

wow - 'I am unsure on the prospects of young, kudla, sweeting, harrison or anyo ther rising star. I did not mention Nishikori, Dolg as they are already over 20 and havent managed much so far'.
You are getting mixed up with sweeting and harrison? why put them both in there then?
Personally i believe that the future of the game atm doesn't look to great as right now there arent any 19-21 year old's capable of winning a slam now as there was when the likes of roger, rafa and novak to name a few did so at that age

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:39 pm

Have gone for Tomic only cos I actually saw his win over - an admittedly under-the-weather - Soderling at Wimbledon and subsequent matches at SW19 on TV.
Reminded me of the young Murray. Prepared to rally, lots of court craft and still growing into his body. Looked mature beyind his years. Fitness and experience will come and we could have a real player on our hands.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down