The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Attack coach' Rob Howley wants to stay with Wales

5 posters

Go down

'Attack coach' Rob Howley wants to stay with Wales Empty 'Attack coach' Rob Howley wants to stay with Wales

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 24 Oct 2011, 8:22 am

Am I alone in being disappointed about this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/15423605.stm

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

'Attack coach' Rob Howley wants to stay with Wales Empty Re: 'Attack coach' Rob Howley wants to stay with Wales

Post by maestegmafia Mon 24 Oct 2011, 8:27 am

No this is good news.

Howley is responsible for all the good work done prior to and at this RWC.

He has been trying to encourage the backs to run lines from deeper in attack, and it works. What doesn't work is backs receiving the ball on the gain line with no pace which is what they do when they dont listen to howley.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

'Attack coach' Rob Howley wants to stay with Wales Empty Re: 'Attack coach' Rob Howley wants to stay with Wales

Post by Glas a du Mon 24 Oct 2011, 8:32 am

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 24 Oct 2011, 8:32 am

I like Howley alot and think that he has been doing a great job for Wales. The only complaint i have about him is that as a for 9, he doesnt seem to stress to Phillips the importance of quick distribution. When Lloyd Williams came on against the Aussies, his quick distribution had way more influence in Wales going forward than Phillips did.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 24 Oct 2011, 8:37 am

Not overly keen on it myself but would be happy if they again stayed as a whole Unit.

With Edwards, Howley and McBrydes' contracts all up for renewal who is out there if they didn't get new deals?

I would love to see Ashton instead of Howley

Charvis is free

who else.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 24 Oct 2011, 8:37 am

Ditto Hook. Just as Phillips does he takes a lateral step or two to assess his own chances of making a break and if there aren't any ships the ball, rather than distributes it. He telegraphs everything making it just too easy for the opponents defence.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 24 Oct 2011, 8:41 am

Maesteg, Howley's been in situ for years now and we still don't see any backline moves off first phase other than getting Roberts (or North) crashing the ball up. When the opposition know what to expect, it's easier for them to contain it. Roberts is in such good form but we never use him as a decoy, which is a serious oversight.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 24 Oct 2011, 8:43 am

The reason i mentioned Phillips Glas is because Howley is a former 9 and really should be trying to teach Phillips this. Hook is also slow in his distribution.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Oct 2011, 8:59 am

I know he's probably years from being good enough for interntaional rugby, but have a look at Matthew Morgan's distribution next time. It is lightening. Yes, he has a snipe now and then, but most of the time when he gets the ball it's left his hands almost instantly because he's surveyed his options before he gets the ball. This means that often in the games I've seen him play the centres and wings get the ball well before the defensive line is set which opens up all sorts of opportunities. It also does away with the need for a crash ball centre, but they're always useful I guess! It also helps him having Rhys Webb at scrum half as he distributes quickly too.

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 24 Oct 2011, 9:06 am

I havent seen much of Morgan but what i have seen is very promicing. He appears very clever and as Griff says, seems to survey his options before receiving the ball. I think that RP is the way forward but Wales would do well to put Morgan in to see how he goes.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down