The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How the teams are shaping up for Formula one 2012

3 posters

Go down

How the teams are shaping up for Formula one 2012 Empty How the teams are shaping up for Formula one 2012

Post by Bentyf1 Tue 25 Oct 2011, 9:59 am

With the big players such as Red Bull, Ferrari, McLaren and Mercedes all confirming their driver line - ups for 2012 the attention turns to teams such as Lotus Renault GP, Williams, Toro Rosso, Force India, Marussia Virgin and Hispania.

Lets start with Lotus Renault, tricky season with Heidfeld, Petrov and Senna. Showed pace in early stages with Petrov gaining his maiden podium in Australia and the veteran Heidfeld getting the second podium in Malaysia. Gone off the boil ever since really, and you do ask yourself, what if Robert Kubica was in that car? Would they be up there? possibly. But we will never know. We can assume if Kubica is fit, then Renault would have no issue with him being part of their line - up completed with arguably Petrov who in my opinion has become solid - ish, but can still improve. However if Kubica is still not fit then the question is who can Renault get? Well they could have Bruno Senna for a full season who is slowly building himself a reputation of being a driver not living of his famous name or Romain Grosjean seeking another crack of the whip at Formula one after a harsh debut in 2009.

Prediction for 2012: Vitaly Petrov and Robert Kubica

Williams is a interesting one. After years of being in the wilderness they seek a new dawn. Mike Coughlan just one of a number of new personnel within the team.The return of the historic name Williams - Renault sends shivers down the spine, the team reunited with Renault power once again can Williams once again shoot up the Formula one hierarchy? Driver - wise, Pastor Maldonado has shone through his Venezuelan sponsorship and showed a fair bit of talent, In my eyes he has earnt a second season with the team, the same cannot be said with his team - mate Rubens Barrichello. Barrichello looks very unlikely to be retained with the team, a mediocre season sprinkled with a few lowly points positions and mostly complaining, I think its time for Rubens to step aside gracefully. But who to replace him? 2 years have passed since Kimi Raikkonen last drove a Formula One car, driving a poor Ferrari around Abu Dhabi in a lowly 12th position was not the way to go out, demotivated and bored of the politics of Formula one, Kimi took to another passion. Rallying. 2 years have passed and we have heard little from the Iceman, apart from trying the NASCAR Truck Series. Little success in Rallying and a brief stint in NASCAR has led us to believe maybe he has discovered the grass is not always greener on the other side and maybe a return to Formula One is his best option. I would welcome a return of Kimi Raikkonen, hopefully a rejuvenated, refreshed Kimi ready to finish his unfinish business in Formula one. Can he be the man to take Williams forward? I wouldn't count him out for a second.
Other names include, Adrian Sutil and Charles Pic but they seem unlikely.

Predictions: Kimi Raikkonen and Pastor Maldonado

Toro Rosso face a potentially four - way shoot out for two of their seats for Formula one 2012. Jaime Alguesuari and Sebastian Buemi are currently fighting for all there worth with Young Aussie Daniel Ricciardo breathing down their necks and new french superstar Jean - Eric Vergne cannot be ruled out either. Alguesuari in my opinion is slightly more impressive than Sebastian Buemi but they are very similar and both very young which Toro Rosso need to take note of. Ricciardo has been okay in Hispania, but its hard to judge in a poor car, however he did beat his more experienced team - mate Vitantonio Liuzzi at Korea. Vergne seems to be one for the future and Toro Rosso seem quite keen to promote him, however it seems a little to quick. A Friday role would seem more realistic for the young Frenchman who is bound to have his eyes on a seat sooner or later, whether it be at Toro Rosso or elsewhere.

Prediction: Jamie Alguesuari and Sebastian Buemi

Force India have a massive decision to make. Paul Di Resta has proven he is a top driver and one for the future, but Adrian Sutil's future looks bleak. Sutil has been a solid driver for the team since 2007, and Vjay Mallya will know him inside out but with the temptation of a talent like Nico Hulkenburg make him realise he needs to look to the future? maybe. Sutil has proven himself a solid driver in Formula one but he is in serious danger of losing his seat for 2012, Adrian undoubtedly is a good driver but there has been no real stellar results he has on his CV that stand out. That incident in Shanghai early this year could come back and haunt Adrian, a test role at Mercedes for 2012 could be a option if he is dropped, then 2013 a seat at Mercedes could be available.

Prediction: Paul Di Resta and Nico Hulkenburg

Virgin have contracted Glock for another year, while D'Ambrosio's future looks tense. Jerome seems a good driver, always seems to be near Glock and can has respectable pace in Virgin. Other drivers Virgin could potentially hire maybe the Dutchman Giedo Van Der Garde bringing sponsorship could be tempting to Virgin, Charles Pic another name in the hat or Robert Wickens would be suitable.

Prediction: Timo Glock and Jerome D'Ambrosio

I believe Liuzzi is contracted with Hispania and will be their in 2012. Second driver could be anyone that brings sponsorship!

Prediction: Vitantonio Liuzzi and ???

Thoughts?

Bentyf1

Back to top Go down

How the teams are shaping up for Formula one 2012 Empty Re: How the teams are shaping up for Formula one 2012

Post by The Special Juan Tue 25 Oct 2011, 10:25 am

First of all I wouldn't be surprised if HRT folded at the end of the season. Their lack of pace is pretty shocking.

I agree with what you said about Renault, Kubica is a "must have" if he's fit and well. Petrov is proving decent in an F1 car too.

However, we all know that Kimi loves to win and I really can't see him coming back to F1 in a team that probably won't be challenging for race wins/podium places at the very least.

Jaime will probably keep his seat but Buemi might be chucked. Maybe if they learned to keep their drivers for a few seasons instead of chucking them would benefit RB...

Di Resta's a given and apparently Hulkenberg has signed a contract so it looks bleak for Sutil. Personally, I'd like to see Timo Glock in a decent car. He's underrated, I think.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

How the teams are shaping up for Formula one 2012 Empty Re: How the teams are shaping up for Formula one 2012

Post by dyrewolfe Tue 25 Oct 2011, 1:05 pm

Personally, I couldn't see Raikkonen coming back unless it was for one of the top teams, where he would have a chance of challenging for the title.

Williams would have to demonstrate they had made a Herculean leap forward for him to consider them. I think he'd rather take up snowmobile racing than return to F1 with a midfield team.

Other than that, the predictions seem pretty sound. I can't see Barrichello staying at Williams and I reckon Hulkenberg could give Di Resta a run for his money.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down