The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland - What Next

+25
eirebilly
Thomond
Irish Curry
The Great Aukster
Gibson
Rory_Gallagher
Ferris+O'Brien+Heaslip
kiakahaaotearoa
Glas a du
Standulstermen
B91212
funnyExiledScot
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Sin é
Feckless Rogue
rodders
ultra
red_stag
Nos na Gaoithe
Don Alfonso
doctornickolas
ScarletSpiderman
Boyne
LondonTiger
ME-109
29 posters

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Go down

Ireland - What Next - Page 8 Empty Ireland - What Next

Post by ME-109 Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:20 pm

First topic message reminder :

In a recent exchange with Mr Gibson (the poster) with regards to what DK should do next in terms of the teams development Gibbo has consistently argued that DK should drop everyone who is more than likely not going to be around for the 2015 WC and start playing youngsters or new players in the national team. This is regardless of how well the geriatrics are doing. His arguement is that even if we come fourth or fifth in the 6ns for a couple of years we will eventually see the team develop. I guess you could take Australia as a recent arguement for this or even Wales to an extent.

My problem with this is as follows.
1. We already have a well structured player development approach as follows...
Clubs -> Provincial Academies -> Provincial A -> Pro12 League -> HC -> A Internationals (occasional) -> Full International.

For me regardless of how old someone is (young or old) if they are good enough they should start. For example everyone says DOC should be dropped now. But if he is the best lock then he should play. If Ryan or others are not getting his position in the Munster HC team then this is a no brainer. The same for BOD, Darcy and others.

The other aspect is the commercial side. The 6ns is the IRFUs bread and butter it builds the interest in the team and the support. As with EOS, DK has the same pressure which is to do well in the 6Ns, imagine a couple of years experimenting (cos thats what it is) with bad results = poor attendances for some games which would have a knock on effect for November internationals and overall support for the game.

In addition if you look at the Welsh and Aus approach. The players the coaches picked were the best players in those positions. Including McFadden now because he is possibly the way forward while Leinster still pick a Darcy/BOD combo is farcical.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Ireland - What Next - Page 8 Empty Re: Ireland - What Next

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:48 pm

Dom Ryan? I can see him taking Jenno's blue jersey soon

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:51 pm

And when he takes Jennos blue jersey I'll welcome him with open arms.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:03 pm

Happy days. Alright Dom we got the go ahead, start making it happen.

Just since we are doing this whole prediction thing I'm going to take silliness to a new level and....

Healy-Best-Ross
Ryan-POC (c)
Ferris-SOB-Ryan
Murray-Sexton
Marshall-Spence
Earls-Jones-Bowe

Hagan-McAllister-Sherry-Tuohy-POM-TOL-Keatley-Gilroy

.....and predict the 2015 world cup team..... Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:05 pm

I seriously doubt Ross will be in the team beyond 2013.

IMO he is a very talented stop gap who will do more for us off the pitch than on the pitch.

I also don't think Ferris will still be there. Don't see him being able to keep going after the injuries.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:13 pm

Those were the 2 I was worried about.
Put in SOB at 6, POM at 8, Heaslip bench.
And Hagan 3.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:17 pm

Ferris may have to retire early, but then again he came back into the international stage showing true class and you would never have thought he was absent for nearly an entire season. He may yet pull through. Ulster need him more than Ireland atm Sad

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:50 pm

I'm surprised this was missed!

O’Driscoll: 'I'm not finished'
O’Driscoll hits back at critics calling on him to retire and targets elusive All Blacks scalp

By Hugh Farrelly , exclusive

Thursday November 03 2011

BRIAN O'DRISCOLL has rounded on critics calling for his retirement and has set his sights on a first Ireland win over new world champions New Zealand next year.

The 117-times capped centre led Ireland to the World Cup quarter-finals last month and says he will play on for as long as he is worth his place in the team. Ireland have never beaten the All Blacks and the 32-year-old, who admits to being irritated by calls that he should quit, believes next summer's three-Test tour is a chance to achieve something special.

"Just because you get to a certain age it's 'oh, he should go now'," said O'Driscoll. "It is a bit (irritating) but, whatever. I was still worth my place in the World Cup team and I don't have any aspirations to hang up my boots.

"People were trying to retire me when I was 29 but I still enjoy it too much and still feel as though I have something to offer, and as long as I have something to offer and coaches want to select me, well that combination is important enough for me to continue to play on.

"Maybe I'm not as quick or as sharp as I used to be in the past, but I think I have other attributes that I didn't have back then, so it's about trying to maximise what you do have," added O'Driscoll.

"I don't want to look back in three or four years' time and wish that I had played one more year. The other thing is that I don't want to look back and wish that I had one less year. It's about trusting your head and your body, and I am certainly not ready to go yet.

"The great thing is that there's always a carrot there. I know it's a three-Test tour down in New Zealand, which is no easy feat, but to be able to go down and hopefully do something that an Irish team hasn't done before excites me and it excites other guys."

O'Driscoll's Leinster take on Munster in tomorrow night's Pro12 clash at Lansdowne Road in a match that is set to reunite the majority of Ireland's World Cup squad.

JOE SCHMIDT

"He would be very good in that role (Ireland backs coach). He has given Leinster great shape to the way we are going about playing the game."

MOVING TO 12

"People get a bit too focused on the number on your jersey. No-one picked up on the fact that I played 12 with John Kelly at 13 against New Zealand a few years ago (2002). I'll play where I'm picked, it's not 13 or bust."

RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT

"It's not on my mind. I'm looking forward to Michael D doing an excellent job and I think he's going to be a great president. He's got big shoes to fill after Mary McAleese but he's a smart man and I think that's half the battle."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/orsquodriscoll-im-not-finished-2924824.html
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:42 am

So, He IS moving to 12. Mcfadden outside him? Did not impress tonight. In fairness. I think he's an out and out inside-centre. O Malley is a far better 13. And I hope that Macken shows he can help us get over BOD when he retires.

It looks like he's saying a year more and he is thinking about next year. Just hope he leaves when he is still the able genius that he is. Like Denis Hickie before him. "He's a smart man." He'll know.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:57 am

Again we have the do you pick on form or Reputation,on the theory class will tell.BUT there will come a time when the incumbent will be injured,or lose form.THEN you have to give some one else a chance,if the said player
is back to fitness and form play them.
It is a case of replacing as and when required and building depth,especially
with the numbers of test matches now.
Some sort of rest and rotation will be required as part of player welfare.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:10 am

Very true Emack. Also, I think Schmidt is priming a few lads ready to take up the mantle. They will spare him in the PRO12 and use him in the Big games. They have been doing that for a while now.

BOD, Darcy and Shaggy are nearing the end of their brilliant careers together. That will be a huge loss to Leinster. Big feet to fill.

That's what the Academy is all about.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:02 am

Why have you treated Carr so badly then? It's as if only BOD is allowed to have flair.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8