The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

is frankie gavin the biggest waste of raw potential we have seen?

+12
Steffan
TRUSSMAN66
AlexHuckerby
The Galveston Giant
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
School Project
oxring
Fists of Fury
Rowley
Scottrf
alfredperami
16 posters

Go down

is frankie gavin the biggest waste of raw potential we have seen?  Empty is frankie gavin the biggest waste of raw potential we have seen?

Post by alfredperami Thu 27 Oct 2011, 4:25 pm

Frankie has pulled out of his first fight under the Tibbs(personal reasons)

sorry ill have to keep this short as im working, as first GB fighter to win a gold at the ams Gavin looked to me the real deal.

it seems after that gold his focus was lost not making weight at the Olympics the first sing of a slide followed by weight issues as a pro i personally think the kid should be at least one or two divs lower than he fights, he still seems to struggle with weight he has looked poor against fighters well below the level he suggested he would operate in the ams and hasn’t impressed me at all since making the switch.
I don’t see this a the wrong style for the pro game more a lack of ambition, drive and hunger that are the hall marks of top fighters/sportsmen he was talking the talk going into this one and i was hoping to see some improvement from the Tibbs involvement. it seems Frankie is letting him self down to a large extent, i don’t know the issues that have stopped him fighting this time round (so don’t want to jump on it to soon but its another in a long line of problems) but he did sound up for it (boxing hour) that has been the case before his last three or four saying things like this time you will see the real Frankie Gavin.

my question is did you see him being a special talent that is wasting it or do you think we have seen the real Gavin all along?
alfredperami
alfredperami

Back to top Go down

is frankie gavin the biggest waste of raw potential we have seen?  Empty Re: is frankie gavin the biggest waste of raw potential we have seen?

Post by Scottrf Thu 27 Oct 2011, 4:27 pm

His anticipation is Mayweather like, he’s so good as judging distance and timing when on form. But his head clearly isn’t in the right place.

Looks like a poor bill tomorrow now.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

is frankie gavin the biggest waste of raw potential we have seen?  Empty Re: is frankie gavin the biggest waste of raw potential we have seen?

Post by Rowley Thu 27 Oct 2011, 4:34 pm

I think he has talent to burn but appears to have a level of dedication that would make James Toney look committed, as you say is operating one or two weights above what would appear to be his optimum weight. Is clear his lifestyle is wrong outside the ring. Really hope he can get his act together as I genuinely believe he is special but he needs to do it sooner rather than later because bad habits become ingrained in young fighters.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 27 Oct 2011, 4:35 pm

To be frank, he has been incredibly boring, out of shape and all round poor in his last few fights. He hasn't looked anywhere near this high quality boxer that we are told he is.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Thu 27 Oct 2011, 4:47 pm

Hold your horses folkses. Lets let the man fail first, surely!
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by alfredperami Thu 27 Oct 2011, 4:55 pm

oxring wrote:Hold your horses folkses. Lets let the man fail first, surely!
would you say he isnt wasting his potential right now?
alfredperami
alfredperami

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 27 Oct 2011, 4:55 pm

Don't think anyone is writing him off just yet Oxy but by the same token we cannot ignore the signs, labouring against guys like Woodhouse and Mutley, operating in a division he seems ill suited to, changing trainers etc. There is enough there to infer that perhaps he is not treating the game as seriously as he should be doing.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Thu 27 Oct 2011, 4:56 pm

That's the thing Oxy, I don't think people want to see him fail... he's already on his way!

That said, the biggest disappointment surely has to be Audley Harrison? We were looking to fill the void Lennox left and we were told he wad the man. Instead he spent all of his time looking at his drawing board and lingering at domestic level like a wet fart!

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Thu 27 Oct 2011, 4:59 pm

struggled to impress against 2 domestic level fighters who he really should have wiped out. He doesn't have the hunger or the desire and its a shame as he has so much potential, he has natural ability, he just knows everything that's going on in the ring when hes on top form. He can counter, slip punches, pressure, throw great combos, set the range, dictate the tempo. So many boxers would kill for that talent and he's wasting it. Changes trainers and needs to bounce back after a very bad show and he just pulls out. Warren is fuming, everyone seems to be turning on him now, hes a promoters nightmare. He's not that young either, hes 26 with 11 fights against B level domestic opponents. He is out of shape and given he won't fight now till early next year (if warren doesn't give up on him), he wont be hitting world level for a couple year. after the woodhouse show and mutley i wouldn't bet against fighters like Place, Cook, Daws and theophane to beat him as they are all better than woodhouse, mutley and Lomax and they are still only domestic fighters.

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 27 Oct 2011, 5:03 pm

Its sad to see such a talented Irishman throw his career away.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 27 Oct 2011, 5:18 pm

To keep stepping up the ladder you need to improve, i think Frankie has been under the impression he just has to turn up. Unless he gets the head down and starts working hard he'll be the biggest waste of boxing talent this country has had for a while.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 27 Oct 2011, 6:25 pm

Think he's looking down at the slide to disappointment... Most certainly appears to be wasting his potential, although it doesn't always mean to much but I'm harder than him around the middle, he looks a bit fleshy, which shows that he probably isn't putting enough in the gym or taking things seriously.

Needs to lose the Funtime tag and start knuckling down to some Worktime, otherwise he's going to lose his "0" to a fighter he most surely shouldn't be getting a loss to...

Incredible talent but you've got to wonder has he already shortened his potential in the long run with slowing his career down already?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 27 Oct 2011, 6:29 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Think he's looking down at the slide to disappointment... Most certainly appears to be wasting his potential, although it doesn't always mean to much but I'm harder than him around the middle, he looks a bit fleshy, which shows that he probably isn't putting enough in the gym or taking things seriously.

Needs to lose the Funtime tag and start knuckling down to some Worktime, otherwise he's going to lose his "0" to a fighter he most surely shouldn't be getting a loss to...

Incredible talent but you've got to wonder has he already shortened his potential in the long run with slowing his career down already?

Good point about the Funtime tag Alex, he obviously has that tag for a reason, he needs to get a new one with a new attitude.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 27 Oct 2011, 6:34 pm

The Galveston Giant wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:Think he's looking down at the slide to disappointment... Most certainly appears to be wasting his potential, although it doesn't always mean to much but I'm harder than him around the middle, he looks a bit fleshy, which shows that he probably isn't putting enough in the gym or taking things seriously.

Good point about the Funtime tag Alex, he obviously has that tag for a reason, he needs to get a new one with a new attitude.

Apparently it's because he always has a laugh in the gym and such, also he said when he was with his last trainer he lost his drive to box, couldn't be bothered getting up in the morning to do it anymore, since he changed trainers he reckons that has changed but I'm not too sure...

Sad, because when he turned pro I was thinking beyond world titles I was automatically thinking top P4P places...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 27 Oct 2011, 6:38 pm

He hasn't lost yet....The kid is just immature and likes to party..he's young!!!

He'll either realise to late he has decent skill (not top quality) or maybe he'll get some tough love off his close family etc....who'll tell him to knuckle down..

A draw with the useless Woodhouse should tell him but alas I don't think it will..

Still these days not the end of the world with the belts on offer..he can come again later if not now..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 27 Oct 2011, 6:46 pm

Admittedly yes he can still be successful, but I could see the guy being a top 10 P4P fighter, but now I'm really getting the feeling that isn't coming to fruition.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by alfredperami Thu 27 Oct 2011, 6:48 pm

The Galveston Giant wrote:

he's lost it already the first thing the Tibbs did was get him to chuck it, thats part of the reason im so peeved i thought they would have him focused on fighting again.
alfredperami
alfredperami

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 27 Oct 2011, 6:50 pm

Isn't he supposed to be focused!!! It's his career..

Can't babysit the guy..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 27 Oct 2011, 6:52 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Isn't he supposed to be focused!!! It's his career..

Can't babysit the guy..

Not everyone is 100% motivated and needs people around them that motivates them. He is supposed to be focused but to be fair I imagine in your day job there are plenty of times you can't be bothered or have slacked off a little bit. I know I have.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 27 Oct 2011, 6:58 pm

All the time but I'm lucky to be in a position where I'm left to get on with it...

Although since I've been back I've been trying to catch up so I've not been able to educate on here in the daytime.....The guy who filled in for me was sadly lacking..

Then again he was British..

However at the end of the day whether the person be a fighter, looking for a job, or a substance abuser..they have to do it for themselves Mate.....

Can't do it for them..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Thu 27 Oct 2011, 7:03 pm

alfredperami wrote:
would you say he isnt wasting his potential right now?

He's not doing well - but he's got time to improve, surely. A sad world when someone so oung gets written off so soon.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 27 Oct 2011, 7:05 pm

He is only 26. Plenty of time

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 27 Oct 2011, 7:10 pm

I don't think people are worried he's running out of time or isn't facing decent challenges, or isn't good enough, just that his attitude appears to be wrong and he's had a few wake up calls already, he certainly has the talent, so it's a bit confusing.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Thu 27 Oct 2011, 9:48 pm

Not a waste of talent,just needs someone to put a foot up his jacksy to get him focused and back on track, Warren and Tibbs need to read the riot act.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Thu 27 Oct 2011, 10:37 pm

Scottrf wrote:His anticipation is Mayweather like, he’s so good as judging distance and timing when on form. But his head clearly isn’t in the right place.

Looks like a poor bill tomorrow now.

How do you know so much about boxing? I don't, I just like watching it. Not being gay but you're a freak with all round knowledge.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 27 Oct 2011, 10:44 pm

looks like i'm on a limb here, and i didn't see him as an amateur, but i've been unimpressed with him since day 1 as a pro... couldn't see what the fuss was about... i can't comment on his potential as frankly, no pun intended, i haven't really seen it.

Of the golden boy amateurs coming through, i saw more potential (as a pro) in billy joe saunders than the others.

Only judging on what i've seen. Clearly others have seen the talent and i hope he proves me wrong... wouldn't be the first.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Thu 27 Oct 2011, 11:01 pm

milkyboy wrote:looks like i'm on a limb here, and i didn't see him as an amateur, but i've been unimpressed with him since day 1 as a pro... couldn't see what the fuss was about... i can't comment on his potential as frankly, no pun intended, i haven't really seen it.

Of the golden boy amateurs coming through, i saw more potential (as a pro) in billy joe saunders than the others.

Only judging on what i've seen. Clearly others have seen the talent and i hope he proves me wrong... wouldn't be the first.

I agree to a certain extent. I wasn't impressed with him too begin with, thought he wouldn't pack enough of a punch in the pro's. However he did go up in my estimations later on, picked his shots really well and the power seemed to be improving. But the last few fights he seems to have gone backwards. Whether it's personal problems or a lack of dedication, he needs to sort it out.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 27 Oct 2011, 11:09 pm

milkyboy wrote:looks like i'm on a limb here, and i didn't see him as an amateur, but i've been unimpressed with him since day 1 as a pro... couldn't see what the fuss was about... i can't comment on his potential as frankly, no pun intended, i haven't really seen it.

Not even against Lomax or Kelly?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 27 Oct 2011, 11:22 pm

im with you on billy joe saunders think he is the best of the lot. not faced anyone of major note but i reckon he is a bit special

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 27 Oct 2011, 11:26 pm

Michaels, Sean wrote:How do you know so much about boxing? I don't, I just like watching it. Not being gay but you're a freak with all round knowledge.
Cheers (if genuine). I dedicate a large portion of my time to boxing, and watch most legal Rolling Eyes fights I can.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 28 Oct 2011, 1:33 am

Scottrf wrote:
Michaels, Sean wrote:How do you know so much about boxing? I don't, I just like watching it. Not being gay but you're a freak with all round knowledge.
Cheers (if genuine). I dedicate a large portion of my time to boxing, and watch most legal Rolling Eyes fights I can.

Very quick to point that out Sean...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down