The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Djokovic's success explained!

+6
bogbrush
noleisthebest
Djoker is in Nadal's head
gallery play
laverfan
Tenez
10 posters

Go down

Djokovic's success explained! Empty Djokovic's success explained!

Post by Tenez Fri 28 Oct 2011, 11:47 pm

What makes Djokovic the ultimate tennis player? In no particular order...

1 - His shots. There is something quite special in Nole's shots that is not that obvious to the eye at first. Whether we talk about his FH or Bh, his shots are actually quite spiny. But unlike Nadal his shots don’t require as big and powerful a swing. The torque is essentially in the wrist more than the whole arm. However he generates nearly as much power as Nadal simply by taking the ball earlier than the Spaniard. The difficulty is to generate the spin early after the bounce, yet the spin allows him to keep the ball in court and find those excellent angles.

2 - His mind. Clearly that was obvious well before 2011, as soon as he arrived on the tour. It was so clear he wanted to be number one and woudl do anything to get there. He went through a bad year or two but personally never doubted his resolve. Unlike most players, he doesn’t seem to "crack" in the toughest moments, on the contrary, he sees an opportunity in all situations and seems to block any negative thought or idea of defeat until the match is over. In fact I would even say that he only think about his victory to the point of even learning of his surprised defeat only through the referee's reading of the final score.

3 - Athletics - He has in terms of agility no equal. As NITB said, he is light footed and can be as quick as anybody but more so his aptitude to change directions and pull powerful shots while unbalanced. This is the result of his talent and hard work combined. He is not moving as well as Federer but he can get to balls Federer can't and more importantly can hit those balls with more power than Federer when stretched.

4 - Stamina. That's clearly what has made all of the above so efficient in 2011 as this was his weak point, Achilles’ heel, in the previous years. We saw in that USO final and in most of his spring campaign how much running and hitting he can do. His key advantage over Nadal is the fact that his economical game (essentially taking the ball earlier to generate as much power as Nadal) allows him to stay with the Spaniard and force this one to end the rally earlier than he is used to or would like to. Nadal being rushed to finishing the point? not something I could have imagined just 9 months ago. Of course Djoko can win his matches v Nadal by hitting winners like he did prior to 2011 but that's a risky business. Engaging in rallies and choosing when hitting easy winners is much more secure, especially as the match goes on, if you kill your opponent physically, the win his more and more secured as the match goes on...as we saw in USO 11 final.

So who will be able to challenge him in the months to come? I fear he is going to get tougher to beat as he will certainly improve as well. Who could test him next year? Maybe Federer on a good day? Murray maybe? more likely when this new generation gets physically ready as they have the weapons to shake him off. Of course, he needs to stay injury free and nowdays there is no guarantee but I don't think his back problem of his last DC is anything serious.

I am certainly curious to see how the rest of the year is going to pan out.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Djokovic's success explained! Empty Re: Djokovic's success explained!

Post by laverfan Sat 29 Oct 2011, 12:16 am

If you watched the Murray-Nadal Tokyo final, Murray's BH seems to have become more accurate than when I saw it at USO 11. Also Murray's FH was generating more power. Not sure if it was Nadal being a bit less of himself.

Murray may also prove to be a good challenge for Djokovic.

Federer on a 'good' day will take anyone out.

Berdych and Tsonga can also be dangerous to Djokovic.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Sat 29 Oct 2011, 12:21 am

Certainly not dismissing your points T, but what I am curious about is for how much longer players won’t have an answer to Djoko’s fast straight in the middle return. He basically always hits the return right to the server (and with pace) and it’s clearly incredibly effective. He almost wins half of the return games he plays, which is amazing and imo the key of his succes. Nadal, on serve, didn’t had a single second to breathe in the USO final due to that return and it killed Rafa in the end.

Will Djoko’s return remain as deadly or will it be decoded one day, like what happened to Roddick’s once so unplayable serve?

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by Djoker is in Nadal's head Sat 29 Oct 2011, 10:02 am

Djoko always had the game to take it to fed and nadal. Against nadal he had beaten him in the past as well.
The main change in my opinion is Djoko getting his serve back. nadal only get advantage against Fed because of that loopy ball on the backhand but at present Murray and Djoker both are competley un affected by it and that expalins rafa's downfall.
And Djoko always beileved in him which has done the trick in the end.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat 29 Oct 2011, 10:07 am

Good point about the returns GP. That's something I mentioned in a post here after the USO final.

Federer was able to handle those with a flick half-volley BH or FH whereas Nadal in those finals versus Djoko lost many points as his reactions were not quick enough but also probably cause after his serve grip and grounds shot grip are too different and could not adapt quickly enough.

An example here at 19mn20sec

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UAtKUhAHvY

That was a point for 3/0 for Nadal in the second set.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Sat 29 Oct 2011, 10:29 am

Yeah, although this is a winning return, usually it's not a winning shot but a shot that puts the opponent on the back foot. Djoko's return puts himself in the same position as if he's on serve.

I remember Tipsy (against Djoko at the USO) tried to mix it up now and then by stepping a yard left/right from his normal "serving-point" and create a different angle for his second shot. Sooner or later the players find a way how to serve against Djoko. That'll change things i suppose. Djoko's game is under the magnifying glass from now on. Let's see what happens.

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat 29 Oct 2011, 10:57 am

There are two things a player must do to have a chance of beating an in-form Nole:
1) take away time from him (which only the in-form Federer can do, still couldn't pull it of in the best of 3 at USO)
2) outlast him ( read: hit with insane consistency and line-painting as Nole) which noone can do in the best of 3 sets

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Sat 29 Oct 2011, 11:21 am

noleisthebest wrote:There are two things a player must do to have a chance of beating an in-form Nole:
1) take away time from him (which only the in-form Federer can do, still couldn't pull it of in the best of 3 at USO)
2) outlast him ( read: hit with insane consistency and line-painting as Nole) which noone can do in the best of 3 sets

You meant a best of 5 i assume?
I dunno, i'm probably one of the very few but i don't think his game is totally unplayable. He still has to work his butt off to get it done.

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat 29 Oct 2011, 11:30 am

Perhaps what will do him is that the amount he has to put in to have a year like 2011 isn't sustainable. I mean, he started to fall apart near the end didn't he, which kind of wrecked what would otherwise have been up there with a monster Fed or McEnroe year.?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 29 Oct 2011, 3:37 pm

Cincinnati, USO 2011, DC 2011 (against Argentina), there are many instances of the physical exertion getting to Djokovic.

Will Djokovic have a killer partial season from now on, till he is knackered? Erm Nadal's season is/used to be similar on Clay.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat 29 Oct 2011, 5:48 pm

Yes Djoko is beatable...but it;s a tall order. Look at the way Federer played in the FO and USO this year, and it was never straight forward, win or lose.

In 2010 when he was a tiny less agile and had less stamina, Federe was always there with a good chance...but now....Tough work which also put huge pressure mentally.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by mthierry Sat 29 Oct 2011, 7:14 pm

In terms of match-up, Fed and Murray look the best bets but I wouldn't write him off if Nadal could somehow reclaim the 2010 US Open serve. Watching Nole's matches with Fed, the Fed serve was firing in the French and US Opens and was a great platform to control his service games. Nadal's serve on the other hand was absolutely abused at the US Open and he was consistently on the back-foot in his service games.

The serve-return dynamics of the Nole- Rafa rivalry is an important one Rafa must master to edge ahead. I can't honestly say I see Rafa surmounting it.

mthierry

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sat 29 Oct 2011, 7:42 pm

noleisthebest wrote:There are two things a player must do to have a chance of beating an in-form Nole:

Actually, I believe an in-form JMDP is the one to scare Nole the most. Look at what an out of form Delpo did to Nole at Fo this year before the rain came...
The question is can JMDP return to true form again.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 29 Oct 2011, 8:05 pm

mthierry wrote:Nadal's serve on the other hand was absolutely abused at the US Open and he was consistently on the back-foot in his service games.

The USO 2010 Nadal serve had some severe consequences, for example, the shoulder tendonitis resulting in the Paris withdrawal. It took him a great effort to call up reserves to serve like that.

Djokovic, in 2011, has out-Nadaled Nadal, but look at the consequences and toll paid in terms of injuries, etc.

Attrition tennis exacts severe penalties, the withdrawals/injuries/retirements in USO 2011 are a witness to that.

JMDP's and Murray's wrist injuries, Berdych injured in Cincinnati, Tipsarevic and Tsonga retirements during US HC season.

Shylock extracting his pound of flesh, if you ask me. Where is Tennis going? chin Even WTA has it's unfair share.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Djoker is in Nadal's head Sat 29 Oct 2011, 8:48 pm

WTA is a joke. There is not a single player who is worth mentioning. Atleast during the dyas of Graf and Evert, women tennis was captivating.

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sat 29 Oct 2011, 9:02 pm

Good post LF...its not the number of matches the guys are playing, they are similar to the 70s/80s/90s. Its the length of ralleys due to slower conditions...but the ATP/ITF sit back and do nothing, except slow them down further in the false belief its making the game better! The lay-watchers say they got bored of Pete vs Goran in the 90s but give me that brand of tennis anytime.

We need the return of out and out attacking tennis or rather allowing those types of players to be rewarded on today's courts, for the ATP and WTA, but it isnt going to happen whilst they send the game backwards.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 29 Oct 2011, 9:19 pm

Lydian... you may want to put your observations on this one, if you feel so inclined. I know you have done quite a few of these on 606v1.

https://www.606v2.com/t17179-have-the-hard-courts-of-the-us-open-and-australian-open-slowed-down-over-the-past-twenty-years

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat 29 Oct 2011, 9:31 pm

lydian wrote:

Actually, I believe an in-form JMDP is the one to scare Nole the most. Look at what an out of form Delpo did to Nole at Fo this year before the rain came...
The question is can JMDP return to true form again.
Delpo is no problem for a 1st class returner slike NOle. Delpo never beat Nole.
Murray is the same (no problem with Delpo)

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 29 Oct 2011, 9:35 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Delpo never beat Nole.
... unless the DC 2011 (Serbia-Argentna) retirement can be considered a win. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sat 29 Oct 2011, 9:44 pm

Will do LF.

NITB, maybe but JMDP gave him a mighty scare at FO and I believe will continue to trouble him in the future. JMDP isnt just about a big serve either.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Sat 29 Oct 2011, 9:46 pm

laverfan wrote:
Djokovic, in 2011, has out-Nadaled Nadal

I like that expression LF. It tells the whole story. Besides: in a way, you're making a compliment to both players.

BTW; has Federer ever been out-Federered? Wink

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sat 29 Oct 2011, 10:07 pm

No GP but he's been out-Nadaled, lol Wink

PS...actually maybe twice...Nalbandian at WTF and Safin at AO05
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat 29 Oct 2011, 10:23 pm

laverfan wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:Delpo never beat Nole.
... unless the DC 2011 (Serbia-Argentna) retirement can be considered a win. Wink

I wouldn't read much into that LF, it was a between the rock and a hard place for poor, battered Nole. He really shouldn't've played the match, Delpo was obviously meaning business, but Nole was semi-dead and hurting. Delpo can give Nole a competitive match but the 2011 Nole is way to consistent and impregnable for most.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Sat 29 Oct 2011, 10:34 pm

lydian wrote:No GP but he's been out-Nadaled, lol Wink

PS...actually maybe twice...Nalbandian at WTF and Safin at AO05

I was thinking of the Madrid/Paris double in 2007. Nalby happily volunteered to exchange FH-FH rallies, against Federer... He out-Federered Federer big time. Nalby actually out-Federered Nadal too those 2 tourneys...I admire him Wink

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sat 29 Oct 2011, 10:36 pm

Indeed!

Nalby...what a talent...what a shame...I always wonder had he won that Wimby final how different his career might have been.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 29 Oct 2011, 10:56 pm

Poor old Nalby, has a softer mental side than our ol' Andy (jokin'), but he definitely had a good year's worth in 05/06 and 07 beating fed in Madrid Masters and winning Paris masters too.

Why did he never win the FO? he was in a strong era of clay courters which didnt help.

Hey Lydian, check yar inbox Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 29 Oct 2011, 11:09 pm

gallery play wrote:BTW; has Federer ever been out-Federered? Wink

Yes, out-Federered in Paris 2010, by Monfils.

Out-Nadaling incidents as Lydian mentions. OK

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 29 Oct 2011, 11:22 pm

Jubbahey wrote:Why did he never win the FO? he was in a strong era of clay courters which didnt help.

Lost to Gaudio in 2004, Federer in 2006, Davydenko in 2007. 2005 to Hanescu is a strange one.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/David-Nalbandian.aspx?t=pa&y=0&m=s&e=520#

Hard and Clay seem to be equal, but Grass is the best (despite low number of matches) Erm

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/David-Nalbandian.aspx?t=mr

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun 30 Oct 2011, 10:14 am

Finally, let me add something to the actual topic, rather than comment on varioius comments on it:

Novak of 2011 is just a natural climax of his talent he has had all those years. He has simply matured, honed the game a bit, got stronger (natural physical development) and fitter. Just chose to dedicate his talent 100% this year to his biggest love: tennis.
You could have written the same thing 4 years ago, and not a lot will have changed. If it could, everyone would be doing it.
Nole burst on the scene in Toronto 2007, just truned 19 (can you think of any 19 year old players doing it today?), beat world number 3 (Roddick), 2 (Nadal) and 1 Federer, yes not the aged, slowed down etc Federer. Nole actually outplayed him in that match.
He lost to him due to sheer choking/slam final inexperience in the USO final a few weeks later.
So, in short, like it or not (and I know most of you here don't like it) Nole is a tennis prodigy, and only the blinded will not admit it.
Yes, Federer's game was more deadly in his peak, but so what?!
I won't put it down, or try to belittle it even though I could, what's the point?
I love tennis, and I love both Novak and Federer, they can happily exist and get on in my tennis world; I'll never write an article trying to explain any players "success" or downfall", predicting or hoping for their retirement.

Tennis has moved on, it always has been. It's not as bad as some like to portray it.
It was a lot worse in the "fast" conditions era of Sampras.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun 30 Oct 2011, 11:25 am

I dont think people doubt Nole is a tennis prodigy as all the top 4 were. Yes he has matured and found his space at the top through sheer effort and talent. The key is whether he can sustain tremendous seasons one after the other from 2012...we'll see.

I dont agree about the fast era of the 90s. It wasnt just grass tennis in the 90s, you had true variety between the slams...slow Rebound Ace, fast DecoTurf of USO, fast grass and slower French Open...they all presented different challenges and most fans miss the specialists and the variety we used to have in the game. I used to love watching the sheer aggression of Sampras in full flight, or the ability of Muster to grind guys down. Now the game just seems to be about a grind period. Lets not forget it was much harder for the guys to get a career slam back then under those conditions until the courts slowed from around 2001 onwards...after all just look at the range of talents who couldnt get the career slam...Borg, Lendl, Connors, McEnroe, Becker, Edberg, and of course Sampras...am I to believe that the current breed are really more talented than those guys or that convergent conditions have simply made it easier for todays guys to win all the slams using the same game and approach now?
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun 30 Oct 2011, 12:43 pm

"I dont think people doubt Nole is a tennis prodigy as all the top 4 were. Yes he has matured and found his space at the top through sheer effort and talent. The key is whether he can sustain tremendous seasons one after the other from 2012...we'll see."
That's the whole point, WE DON'T NEED TO WAIT AND SEE.
It's just sore Federer and Nadal fans that can't hack the fact they are bettered by somebody who was "behind" them for a few years.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Positively 4th Street Sun 30 Oct 2011, 1:06 pm

noleisthebest wrote:"I dont think people doubt Nole is a tennis prodigy as all the top 4 were. Yes he has matured and found his space at the top through sheer effort and talent. The key is whether he can sustain tremendous seasons one after the other from 2012...we'll see."
It's just sore Federer and Nadal fans that can't hack the fact they are bettered by somebody who was "behind" them for a few years.

It's not unreasonable for people to be interested in what lies ahead, and to see how Djokovic goes in comparison to his immediate predecessors as the top dog, Federer and Nadal. It was ever thus that the future piques interest and so do comparisons. This doesn't denigrate Djokovic in any way, he has been magnificent this season. Do you want this year to read as the full stop on tennis?

Positively 4th Street

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun 30 Oct 2011, 2:22 pm

Positively 4th Street wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:"I dont think people doubt Nole is a tennis prodigy as all the top 4 were. Yes he has matured and found his space at the top through sheer effort and talent. The key is whether he can sustain tremendous seasons one after the other from 2012...we'll see."

It's not unreasonable for people to be interested in what lies ahead, and to see how Djokovic goes in comparison to his immediate predecessors as the top dog, Federer and Nadal. It was ever thus that the future piques interest and so do comparisons. This doesn't denigrate Djokovic in any way, he has been magnificent this season. Do you want this year to read as the full stop on tennis?

Even you don't believe what you've written...I don't remember seeing any of this sort of articles regarding Federer or Nadal a few years ago, do you?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun 30 Oct 2011, 2:41 pm

NITB, I hope you're not classing me as a sore Nadal fan there.

My point is that before we assign him "great" status lets wait to see him string multi-slam seasons together as before 2011 his record, given his potential, was patchy. For the record I enjoy watching him play and have tracked his progress since he appeared on tour. I'm sure he'll do it, even more so given Federer and Nadal are moving past their "peak plateau's" given their length of time at the top (both have been winning slams for 7-8 years now continuously), and also with no real young challengers emerging as threats yet - surely, his obvious talents aside, the stage is perfectly set for him?
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Positively 4th Street Sun 30 Oct 2011, 4:07 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
Positively 4th Street wrote:

Even you don't believe what you've written...I don't remember seeing any of this sort of articles regarding
Federer or Nadal a few years ago, do you?

Of course I believe it. I always look forward to matches yet to be played, that's one of the great things about sport. We may have an idea of what might happen but watching it unfold live is, for me, the essence of sport. I genuinely don't understand your bone of contention here. You are a fan of the current man of the moment, and kudos to him for a great year, but what do you want from the rest of us? Even if you're not interested in what happens from here, plenty are.

There were plenty of articles or comments last year speculating about whether Nadal could repeat what he did last year this year, and further back plenty looking at whether Federer could break Sampras's record, or win the French Open.

Positively 4th Street

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon 31 Oct 2011, 1:54 am

Surprising lack of confidence and shades of contradiction after a wonderful year so far... Erm

"I don’t feel unbeatable and I don’t think anybody is," the Belgrade native continued. "It’s just a matter of the right momentum, the confidence that you have, that you’re building up by winning this many matches. I could rely on that confidence in most of the matches I was playing because when you are confident, sometimes you see the ball as a watermelon. You feel so good on the court, you trust every shot."

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2011/11/44/Basel-Preview-Djokovic-Back-In-Action.aspx

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Mon 31 Oct 2011, 2:58 pm

Djokovic success is his confidence, he had a similar run like this in 2008 beating Fed in AO semi, had a better run this time coz his competitors were rusty or injured in early part of season and he started to believe he is invincible, and once he started to believe he is invincible he really looked invincible beating Rafa in the two clay courts was a real show piece, once thats executed, media started to believe, fans started to believe [which Djokovic really wanted] and finally Djokovic had no more pressure in making people believe he is the next big thing.

The problem with Nole is trying to convince people he is that good, ever since he convinced with this invincible run till the clay courts, he started to enjoy his success and it reflected on Wim and USO finals, he didn't appear in Wim as the first time finalist facing a five time finalist [and 2 time winner] and looked the vice-versa, no time during Wim finals he appeared nervous and thats all due to his confidence in his own ability which finally starting to deliver results he imagined of.

The results will come as long as he feels confident, and it will come to a halt the day his confidence is halted. 2012 would be interesting as the wounded tigers will return to haunt the new Lion or wolfpac.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down