The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NFL Draft- explained

+10
The Mangler US_UK
mikeygnfl
BamBam
Pr4wn
Number-25
crazy_dave23
Colan (niner)
Derbyblue
Good Golly I'm Olly
Thomond
14 posters

Go down

NFL Draft- explained Empty NFL Draft- explained

Post by Thomond Thu 01 Mar 2012, 6:42 pm

This might be useful for people who look at these boards and are wondering the draft is about and are interested in the basics of it.

In just a few weeks time, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell will utter the words "with the first overall pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Indianapolis Colts select....." while it is a mystery who the Colts will pick (most likely Stanford Quarterback Andrew Luck) the anticipation surrounding the Draft is huge. Some fans have been looking forward to this since early October, when their teams were effectively ruled out of playoff contention.

So, what is the Draft all about? Well, essentially, the top 256 players in College Football are picked by the 32 NFL teams. There are seven rounds to each draft and each team has one pick to start with in each round. Teams are allowed to trade their picks for a current NFL player or to move up on the Draft board. (Last year for example, the Atlanta Falcons traded their 2011 first round draft pick, their 2011 second and fourth round picks as well as their 2012 first and fourth round picks to take the Cleveland Browns pick at number six overall). Teams will also "trade back", i.e. a team with say the 6th overall pick may trade back to the 15th overall pick and could pick up a second/third round pick or even more in exchange Usually, Draft order is dictated by a team's win-loss record over the season. However, as is the case this season with both the Colts and St. Louis Rams both finishing with a 2-14 win loss record, tie-breakers had to be used.

There are several ways the NFL decides which team is weaker and therefore more deserving of a higher pick. The main one being Strength of Schedule. This is the combined win-loss record for all 16 of the team's opponents in the previous season. The team with the lower strength of schedule (i.e. their opponents compiled fewer wins) is given the earlier pick. Division tiebreakers(if the teams are in the same division), Conference Tiebreakers (if teams are in same conference) are also used. If there is still no way of figuring out which team is worse, a simple coin toss is used with the loser of the toss getting the higher pick. This is only the case for the first round however. Teams that end with the same record usually end up "cycling" picks. This means that the Rams will end up with the first pick of the second round and the Colts will end up number one in the first round and so on.

Prior to the Draft, the NFL holds its Annual Scouting Combine. Certain college footballers are invited to the Combine held in Indianapolis every year, and undergo a series of physical and mental tests. The tests include:

Prospective players also engage in interviews with teams and injury evaluations. In modern times, players tend to train heavily for the combine, knowing that great scores could amaze teams and make up for deficiencies that the players may have in their game. The term given to players like this is a "workout warrior". Infamous workout warriors include Mike Mamula, who wowed the Philadelphia Eagles in the 1995 Draft and traded up to get him, trading with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. With the picks they received, the Buccaneers selected two future cornerstones of their Super Bowl winning team in Warren Sapp and Derrick Brooks.

Teams will take a good combine performance into consideration but they realise that a lot of the drills have little relevance to a football game. Most teams will look at a players performances against other college teams first. They will look and analyse game film for hours on end determining a players. They will look at a guys flaws as well as the good signs of his play. They will also look at how good a guy could be. Some things can be corrected i.e. you can get a Quarterback to stop staring down his receivers (Buccaneers fans hope their QB Josh Freeman can anyway!) but you can only do so much to help improve his accuracy. Similarly, you can make a wide receiver stronger with an NFL weight lifting regiment but little can be done to increase his ability to create separation from defensive backs. Unless the Offensive Co-ordinator notices this and calls specific routes like curls and slants to try and get him the ball quickly, although in reality a receive who can't create separation probably won't be kept by a Franchise.

http://www.sportpulse.net/content/wha-nfl-draft-2946

Thomond

Back to top Go down

NFL Draft- explained Empty Re: NFL Draft- explained

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 01 Mar 2012, 6:43 pm

What day is the draft on?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 01 Mar 2012, 6:47 pm

It's on over 3 days. Starts April 26th ends April 28. So it will be on during the early hours of April 27th,28th and 29th for those in Uk and Ireland.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 01 Mar 2012, 6:53 pm

I miss the early morning NFL followed by no work at school on Monday Mornings!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 01 Mar 2012, 7:01 pm

I'm in a similar scenario but anyway you can find it out after school or on your phone/iTouch/iPad/whatever.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Thu 01 Mar 2012, 7:25 pm

Thomond wrote:I'm in a similar scenario but anyway you can find it out after school or on your phone/iTouch/iPad/whatever.
Or stay up until potentially about 5 talking in the ChatBox, laughing at someones reaction to a pick (hoping we can rely on Pr4wn for another cracker) and go without sleep.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 01 Mar 2012, 7:28 pm

What actually happened there? I looked at the mock draft he did for the Bucs and I'm wondering what the hell is he thinking with Jenkins!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Thu 01 Mar 2012, 7:28 pm

I hope that im still off on fridays next semester for Uni. This sounds incredibly bad but ive got a job interview next week and I think i might actually say I cant work Fridays because of the draft. I dont want to work weekends either, they are going to love me

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Thu 01 Mar 2012, 7:42 pm

Thomond wrote:What actually happened there? I looked at the mock draft he did for the Bucs and I'm wondering what the hell is he thinking with Jenkins!
Last year he was just less than impressed with Clayborn at #20 and he was willing to voice that frustration on the box, much to everybody else's amusement, it was probably the highlight of the night but probably more of a "have to be there" moment, however to everyones disappointment he calmed down and now likes Clayborn.

niner wrote:I hope that im still off on fridays next semester for Uni. This sounds incredibly bad but ive got a job interview next week and I think i might actually say I cant work Fridays because of the draft.
Just say you can't work that one friday? I'm in at 11 on Friday's I may look like death but I'm sure it will be worth it, as long as we don't trade away the #22 pick I have something to keep me up.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 01 Mar 2012, 7:46 pm

I hope the Bucs don't listen now anyway. Clayborne was very solid last year and he picked Jenkins,ffs!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Thu 01 Mar 2012, 7:51 pm

Nah, its not just that, Thursday is a cheap night for all students in Glasgow so I'd struggle with quite a few fridays. I might not stay up for it all on the friday, maybe just the 2nd round before I get up early to go the gym.

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Thu 01 Mar 2012, 7:52 pm

Derbyblue wrote:
Thomond wrote:I'm in a similar scenario but anyway you can find it out after school or on your phone/iTouch/iPad/whatever.
Or stay up until potentially about 5 talking in the ChatBox, laughing at someones reaction to a pick (hoping we can rely on Pr4wn for another cracker) and go without sleep.

Best moment of 606v2 ever was Pr4wn on the chatbox

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Thu 01 Mar 2012, 8:09 pm

This thread hasn't been good for me..... all this talk about school and Uni is making me feel ancient!! I'll probably be awake to keep tabs on the draft but it'll be nothin to do with cheap student night in Glasgow (which I have very fond memories of from 15 years ago!!!)! Nope, for me it'll most likely be my youngest daughter keeping me awake by insisting on letting the whole house know she's teething!!!

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Thu 01 Mar 2012, 9:24 pm

You don't think Janoris Jenkins is a good pick? Kid really seems to have matured since he moved school. I watched some interviews with him and he seems totally solid, a lot more mature and very sorry for his actions.

As for his talent, you can't question it. He could well be the best cover corner in the whole draft. His hip movement is excellent.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 01 Mar 2012, 10:02 pm

The guy is 22 has 4 kids with 4 different women and we have enough problems with potheads. Very talented but I don't think he will end up there nor do I want him there. Gruden would have sorted him out or maybe Dungy but don't know about Schiano. I would be in favour of trading the pick to gain more, the Bucs need help.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 01 Mar 2012, 10:03 pm

Jenkins will be a Top 5 Cornerback in the NFL Whistle
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 01 Mar 2012, 10:09 pm

I wasn't sure where to put this but anyway. There was a rumour that the Eagles might have been looking to get Robert Griffin III (RG3). Apparently they were open to trading Vick but were hoping he would help nurture RG3. Could be bull, but what do we think of that?

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Thu 01 Mar 2012, 10:15 pm

Thomond wrote:I wasn't sure where to put this but anyway. There was a rumour that the Eagles might have been looking to get Robert Griffin III (RG3). Apparently they were open to trading Vick but were hoping he would help nurture RG3. Could be bull, but what do we think of that?

Crazy talk. Would have to give up a bundle, wouldn't be worth it. They would be better off protecting Vick either by stopping him doing silly runs and dives or by blocking better. Then improve there linebackers!

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 01 Mar 2012, 10:18 pm

That's what I thought, one thing that interests me is that while RG3 is a big enough guy, he is not incredibly bigger, could he suffer like Vick does?

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Thu 01 Mar 2012, 10:26 pm

He could suffer a bit long term... but he does have the arm and technique to rein things in and become slightly more of a pocket passer longer term.

I'm sure that would have happened a little sooner with Vick if it was not for his "issues"

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 01 Mar 2012, 11:13 pm

crazy_dave23 wrote:
Derbyblue wrote:

Best moment of 606v2 ever was Pr4wn on the chatbox

Definitely the highlight of the early months of 606v2

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeygnfl Fri 02 Mar 2012, 12:27 am

Thomond wrote:I wasn't sure where to put this but anyway. There was a rumour that the Eagles might have been looking to get Robert Griffin III (RG3). Apparently they were open to trading Vick but were hoping he would help nurture RG3. Could be bull, but what do we think of that?
There is a possibility that Jackson to the Rams could be part of the deal.
mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Fri 02 Mar 2012, 12:58 pm

maybe a stupid question but do any pubs ever get a license to show the draft. I go with my m8's sometimes to see games and the superbowl but nowhere ever seems to show it, would be great to see on a 50" plus screen somewhere

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Fri 02 Mar 2012, 5:12 pm

niner wrote:maybe a stupid question but do any pubs ever get a license to show the draft. I go with my m8's sometimes to see games and the superbowl but nowhere ever seems to show it, would be great to see on a 50" plus screen somewhere

Highly unlikely. Sky only starting showing round one last year and it doesn't kick off until about 1/2am and doesn't finish till 4/5am and that's just round 1! Some diehard American sports bars will show it but it basically starts too late

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Fri 02 Mar 2012, 5:58 pm

Thats what I thought but a place called PJ Champs was open til after 3 for the Superbowl so was just hoping really, knew i would be disappointed. Yeah the time is annoying, ive managed to stay up for it the last few years myself but would be cool to have a draft party or something

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 02 Mar 2012, 6:06 pm

If Sky don't have it, get it on a stream and hook it up to your TV. Then you can have a party.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by The Mangler US_UK Fri 02 Mar 2012, 6:41 pm

Well, I was watching RG3 talk to ESPN and he among the teams he said that interviewed him -- ta da! The Eagles. Dunno if I'd make anything out of it, but I was wondering at the time why they even bothered talking to him.

The Mangler US_UK

Back to top Go down

Post by The Mangler US_UK Fri 02 Mar 2012, 6:42 pm

crazy_dave23 wrote:
niner wrote:maybe a stupid question but do any pubs ever get a license to show the draft. I go with my m8's sometimes to see games and the superbowl but nowhere ever seems to show it, would be great to see on a 50" plus screen somewhere

Highly unlikely. Sky only starting showing round one last year and it doesn't kick off until about 1/2am and doesn't finish till 4/5am and that's just round 1! Some diehard American sports bars will show it but it basically starts too late

I'm in America and much preferred it when they started it on a Saturday morning. Since I'm out on the west coast, now I'm at work when it gets underway.

The Mangler US_UK

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Fri 02 Mar 2012, 7:57 pm

I've got ESPN and Sky throughout my house so im sorted for that but i just think it would be fun thing to be able to go somewhere and watch with friends, especially because i have a few friends wanting to get into the sport

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 02 Mar 2012, 7:59 pm

I'll stream it off the internet I suppose or listen to it on 5 live king
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Fri 02 Mar 2012, 9:03 pm

ollyrules wrote:I'll stream it off the internet I suppose or listen to it on 5 live king
There is the official stream on NFL.com.

Let's not mention any others. thumbsup (not aimed at you Ollyrules but the thread in general)

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 02 Mar 2012, 9:03 pm

Derbyblue wrote:
ollyrules wrote:I'll stream it off the internet I suppose or listen to it on 5 live king
There is the official stream on NFL.com.

Let's not mention any others. thumbsup (not aimed at you Ollyrules but the thread in general)

Wouldn't dream of it censored
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Fri 02 Mar 2012, 9:06 pm

crazy_dave23 wrote:

I didn't even realise Sky had it, but lets be honest the draft is rather different to the Superbowl for a normal pub it has no guaranteed end time and it's not guaranteed to bring in any customers, plenty of people will be just as happy catching who their team drafts the next day as they would watching it live especially when their team could pick at around 5am.

The Mangler US_UK wrote:
crazy_dave23 wrote:

I'm in America and much preferred it when they started it on a Saturday morning. Since I'm out on the west coast, now I'm at work when it gets underway.
Do your work let you listen to it/keep track of it in the office?

Last edited by Derbyblue on Fri 02 Mar 2012, 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Fri 02 Mar 2012, 9:12 pm

didnt think sky had it either but someone mentioned it

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Mangler US_UK Fri 02 Mar 2012, 11:12 pm

My work is pretty lenient with web use, so I can probably watch/keep track of it on my 2nd monitor. Even if they didn't, I might be able to watch it on my cell phone.

The Mangler US_UK

Back to top Go down

Post by TM Moot Sun 04 Mar 2012, 7:20 pm

Thomond wrote:So, what is the Draft all about? Well, essentially, the top 256 players in College Football are picked by the 32 NFL teams. There are seven rounds to each draft and each team has one pick to start with in each round.

informative OP, couple of queries if i may..

how exactly are the 256 players selected?
what happens to the unselected college players, can they get into the nfl another way?
can a player on the draft not be selected? i.e. if no team wants them
realistically, how many players will be starters or atleast get significant playing time in their rookie year (first, second & third rounders?)

TM Moot

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBrownTown Sun 04 Mar 2012, 7:44 pm

TM Moot wrote:
Thomond wrote:So, what is the Draft all about? Well, essentially, the top 256 players in College Football are picked by the 32 NFL teams. There are seven rounds to each draft and each team has one pick to start with in each round.

informative OP, couple of queries if i may..

how exactly are the 256 players selected?
what happens to the unselected college players, can they get into the nfl another way?
can a player on the draft not be selected? i.e. if no team wants them
realistically, how many players will be starters or atleast get significant playing time in their rookie year (first, second & third rounders?)

They are selected an an event in New York that runs for three days, the first round is a Thursday night, the second and third rounds are Friday night and the final four rounds are on the saturday.
All undrafted college players who were eligible for the draft can be signed after the draft much like a normal NFL free agent, often teams will sign a large number of these players but only keep one or two by the time the season starts, so yes players in the draft don't have to be selected.
It depends on the team but usually a team will have around 3 rookies starting on their team but that is often less and occasionally more, players can become starters no matter where they are drafted, the number of rookies that become starters really depends on the quality of that draft class.

TheBrownTown

Back to top Go down

Post by Leedscowboys Sun 04 Mar 2012, 8:09 pm

ESPN shows live coverage of the draft, rounds 1 & 2 the later rounds I watch 3-7 on NFL.com

I cant see any pubs opening for the draft as it's a real anorak event, a better idea would be to have a draft party like a Superbowl
Leedscowboys
Leedscowboys

Back to top Go down

Post by TM Moot Sun 04 Mar 2012, 9:12 pm

cheers guys, but i didn't make myself clear on my first query

who actually decides which 256 college players are selected for the draft, is there like a pre-draft draft?!?

TM Moot

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Sun 04 Mar 2012, 9:26 pm

Players can declare for the draft once they've been out of high school for three years(?). There are then 7 rounds (256 picks in all) where teams choose from that pool.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Sun 04 Mar 2012, 9:55 pm

To clarify, whilst 256 players are selected they come from a much wider pool of around 400-500+ players who have either graduated or left college early to pursue an NFL career.

So a couple of hundred simply wont be selected as part of the actual draft. They will become undrafted free agents who can then be signed after the draft because during the preseason an NFL teams roster is 80 players so there is plenty of space. As TheBrownTown says, most teams will end up with around 10 or so of these undrafted free agents, plus their approximately 7 draft selections - so say 17 rookies. Most of the undrafted guys and maybe some of the actual drafted players will then be cut preseason as part of the roster reduction rules leading into the regular season

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Sun 04 Mar 2012, 10:00 pm

TM Moot wrote:cheers guys, but i didn't make myself clear on my first query

who actually decides which 256 college players are selected for the draft, is there like a pre-draft draft?!?
"Football players who have been out of high school for at least three years are eligible for the NFL draft. The rules do not state that a player must attend college, but virtually all of the players selected in the NFL draft played college football. A year as a redshirt player in college counts toward eligibility even though the player was not allowed to participate in games during that year. Therefore players who have completed their redshirt sophomore year can enter the NFL draft. A few players are also selected from other football leagues like the Arena Football League or the Canadian Football League." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nfl_draft#Eligibility

Pretty much every college player who has graduated will give the draft a shot but some who have completed the three years out of high school declare early if it's likely they'll get drafted high, they can also ask to be ranked by the Draft Advisory Board which will tell them where they think they'll get taken as if you're going in the first /second most will think there's little point staying in college.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down