The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ulster v Connacht Saturday 5.35pm at Ravenhill.

+13
clivemcl
Notch
WillyGilly
UlstermaninGlasgow
Standulstermen
greybeard
The Great Aukster
Don Alfonso
red_stag
Kingshu
Rory_Gallagher
rodders
Rava
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Ulster v Connacht Saturday 5.35pm at Ravenhill. - Page 2 Empty Ulster v Connacht Saturday 5.35pm at Ravenhill.

Post by Rava Tue 01 Nov 2011, 1:46 pm

First topic message reminder :

Brian McLaughlin has announced a 31-man squad ahead of this Saturday's RaboDirect PRO12 match against Connacht at Ravenhill.
The extended squad boasts a full complement of international players this week with Irish internationals Rory Best and Stephen Ferris, who were rested last week as part of the IRFU's Player Management Programme, named along with All-Black John Afoa who will jet into Belfast on Wednesday and who is set to feature during Saturday's match at some stage.

The Ulster starting XV and replacements will be named on Friday.

FORWARDS

Tom Court, John Afoa, Paddy McAllister, Adam Macklin, Callum Black, Andi Kyriacou, Nigel Brady, Rory Best, Johann Muller, Tim Barker, Lewis Stevenson, Dan Tuohy, Neil McComb, Chris Henry, Robbie Diack, Mike McComish, Pedrie Wannenburg, Willie Faloon, Stephen Ferris

BACKS

Ruan Pienaar, Paul Marshall, Ian Porter, Ian Humphreys, Paddy Jackson, Paddy Wallace, Ian Whitten, Nevin Spence, Darren Cave, Andrew Trimble, Craig Gilroy, Simon Danielli, Adam D’Arcy
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Ulster v Connacht Saturday 5.35pm at Ravenhill. - Page 2 Empty Re: Ulster v Connacht Saturday 5.35pm at Ravenhill.

Post by rodders Fri 04 Nov 2011, 11:56 am

Standulstermen wrote:
Bad stuff first
Why oh why do we have Danielli at 15 AGAIN!!!! mad
Marshall at 9 was predictable but disappointing mad
Still no Faloon mad

Welcome John!!! Very Happy Very Happy
Welcome back Rory!! Very Happy
Welcome back Stephen!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

+ 100.

Don't think I'll come down for this game. Forgot about the EMA's, the traffic in Belfast must be mental.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Ulster v Connacht Saturday 5.35pm at Ravenhill. - Page 2 Empty Re: Ulster v Connacht Saturday 5.35pm at Ravenhill.

Post by Don Alfonso Fri 04 Nov 2011, 12:03 pm

Oh man.

Stand, I back all your points wholeheartedly, but I'm also delighted to see Cave back.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 04 Nov 2011, 12:06 pm

Agreed Don. We should have too much for connacht but i seriously hope we dont see D'arcy cast aside as soon as Terblanche comes in. If he is the squad i dont think Danielli should be

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Fri 04 Nov 2011, 12:19 pm

Cave will work his magic tomo, mark my words!

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 04 Nov 2011, 12:22 pm

Also read that Pienaar will miss the first 2 heineken cup games. Not our year im thinking

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 04 Nov 2011, 12:27 pm

Pull yourself together stand sir! Ulster rugby is more than the Ruan Pienaar show (maybe not according to bbcni Wink). We can't throw the towel in at the 1st sign of adversity!

SUFTUM!!! guinness

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 04 Nov 2011, 12:32 pm

Its not the first sign of adversity Rodders but if you are telling me that Marshall/iHumph will lead us to 5 points from Clermont and Leicester i have to disagree.

The control that Pienaar gives makes Humph a decent player. Give him Marshall and he looks like the fly half we saw against Treviso. Its not as if i will miss the games but i cant see the heineken being our friend this year.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Fri 04 Nov 2011, 12:36 pm

Intresting that Muller is captain now R.Best is back.

I thought that they though that Muller would be there during world cup and so could be captain for the year, since both went to WC, i thought it would revert back to Rory.

intresting to see who gets captaincy next year?

Pienaar out, lets dream of next year we'll be unbeatable, this year now, given our h-cup pool and dropped league point could soon (not quite yet) become a year for expermenting for next year.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 04 Nov 2011, 12:38 pm

The Heineken cup is never our friend stand. We are Ulster, we have no friends Wink.

IHumph has to learn to take control. Pienaar didn't make him kick those goals or put in those masterclass perfromances, humph did. He has it in him.

Marshall can be a matchwinner or a match loser. Lets hope he has a good day.

I believe we can beat Clermont and the tigers, with or without Ruan.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 04 Nov 2011, 12:43 pm

He puts in those performances when he knows he has the ball presented on a plate in front of him. This season we have seen what happens to him when the service isnt perfect.

I hope you are right. Our comparitive lack of control at 9-10 will put more pressure on the pack. If they can take it we have a chance.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Sat 05 Nov 2011, 10:14 am

Connacht have named a weak team ahead of their first HEC game. Ulster should have no trouble.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sat 05 Nov 2011, 10:54 am

To be honest we need a big performance ahead of Clermont, not just a result.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 05 Nov 2011, 2:24 pm

Kingshu wrote:Intresting that Muller is captain now R.Best is back.

I thought that they though that Muller would be there during world cup and so could be captain for the year, since both went to WC, i thought it would revert back to Rory.

intresting to see who gets captaincy next year?

Nope, it was announced Muller was getting the job on a full time basis a while back. Best doesn't come into it, J. Muller is a born leader and an inspiration. I've no doubt he would have captained the Boks more regularly if he hadn't played at the same time as Smit and Matfield. He captained the Boks against the Lions in 2009- he's far and away the most qualified man for the job.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 05 Nov 2011, 2:28 pm

I personally would prefer Best to captain, as I can see him possibly being the future Irish captain if POC retired at any point Best was still playing.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 05 Nov 2011, 3:49 pm

Nothing to stop Best from being Captain if POC retires though? Best has captained at Pro12 level, Heineken Cup level and Test level. Erm

I mean, the guy is a leader. Muller is a leader. Which one is Captain is unimportant. Leo Cullen is captain of Leinster and O'Driscoll still captains Ireland.

I'm getting excited for this game. Its the one our luck in the Pro 12 will turn on, I can feel it; I think this pack of forwards will be strong if they hit their straps.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 05 Nov 2011, 8:34 pm

Where are all the Ulster fans?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sat 05 Nov 2011, 8:38 pm

Here.

Can I be the first to say that Paul O'Donoghue needs a good slap for that ridiculous dive when Muller touched his back.

Thought the performance from the forwards was very good, Court, Henry and Ferris stood out. Worried about not having Pienaar for either of our opening HC matches against Clermont and Leicester - but its great to get a good win a week away from the HC.

Really hope Ferris isn't out for either of those matches after sort of twisting his ankle. Afoa looked very good in the scrum in his debut.

PS

Anyone else notice how the Ulster players react when someone on the other team touches Johann Muller. Very Happy

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Sat 05 Nov 2011, 8:41 pm

Why did they have that eejit Eddie O'Sullivan on?

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sat 05 Nov 2011, 8:50 pm

Only caught the second half. Relieved we've finally got a win in the board.

Rory Best looked like he had a storming game and Trimble looked very good. Cave looked very good too and must be knocking on the international door.

The pack looked much improved too and IHumph looks to have found a bit of zip.

Danielli was a shambles though. D'arcy offers more in attack IMO. A lot of sloppy handling but the referee had zero control of the breakdown.

We'll need to be a 100 times better next week but a win is a win.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sat 05 Nov 2011, 8:52 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:Anyone else notice how the Ulster players react when someone on the other team touches Johann Muller. Very Happy

You don't mess with the Johann.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 05 Nov 2011, 8:54 pm

Yeah, Muller is our talisman alright!

Ferris was up walking with no strapping on his ankle at the end, and a big smile on his face.

I thought our new man was excellent tonight- our front row were great, Muller was great, Ferris was a level above the rest. We played well apart from Marshall and the enigma Humphreys. Unfortunately the 9 and 10 are pretty crucial!

Our pack were great but we forced too many offloads and our backline looks a few games off really clicking together. That said Wallace did really well and we're lucky we have a guy like him who can take pressure off Humph.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sat 05 Nov 2011, 10:26 pm

Marshall isn't as bad as everyone makes out. Humphreys hasn't been any better. What has been especially disappointing this season though is Gilroy's handling - he knocked on about three times tonight and he has to get that sorted if he wants to play any higher.
Danielli was by far the worst back though but that is not his problem as he is NOT a fullback. McLaughlin more and more seems to me to be totally out of his depth as a team with the amount of domination that Ulster had up front should have won by a street.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 06 Nov 2011, 12:30 am

Danielli played well- entered the line very well and was solid under the high ball.

My main concerns about McLaughlins selection were at 9 and 10 but actually Marshall improved and Danielli played well so I can't fault him.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sun 06 Nov 2011, 8:40 am

Just a couple of examples why Danielli isn't a full back.
There was a deep kick to touch near the Ulster line. Trimble rightly takes a quick throw to SD. Instead of clearing or running up field Simon runs laterally towards Trimble which is naturally where the Connacht chasers were! Totally wrong instinct for someone wearing 15 in a defensive situation.
He may come into the line in attack but he has to realise it is with a view to creating an overlap outside him, i.e. he needs to pass. Ulster had worked a 2 on 1 overlap down the left, but SD ignores Gilroy outside him and has a go himself taking the cover with him. When he ran out of room he then threw a speculative high inside pass that went to no one but could just as easily have been intercepted with no cover behind him.

McLaughlin has to be seriously questioned if he picks Danielli at FB again.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Sun 06 Nov 2011, 9:34 am

Small point to consider. Isn't Gilroy a better option at fb. I don't think he's played there before for Ulster but I know he's played there for Ireland and when he was younger. Or is McL thinking taking him off the wing will dent our attacking ability. Can't see how, as Danielli is just as good on the wing if he's given the chance.

So the nancy boys next week. Awesome league form. But do they travel well? The question marks for me are at 13 and 15. Personally I think he should stick with Cave. Bring Spence on the final 20 when the French are tired and he can punch some holes in their lines. 15 is a different problem altogether. Do you drop Danielli because he's been playing poorly out of position? Too late to bring D'Arcy in? Terblanche? No idea how to call this one.

Oh and one more thing, that was pointed out to me last night. I wasn't actually at the game but was in Belfast quite soon afterwards, a crowd of fans entered the drinking establishment I was in and where arguing loudly about IH. A lot of it was a load of nonsense but a overheard a huge point I hadn't contemplated before. Pienaar's out injured probably till December. IH is shaky and prone to the occasional knock. Paddy Jackson is next in line.
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sun 06 Nov 2011, 10:44 am

My two cents;

1. Court- Looked very decent. Got caught upright carrying a couple of times in the first half but rectified it in the 2nd and deserved his try. Good in the scrum
2. Best- Couple of poor throws aside i thought he was very good
3. Afoa- Good start. looks ok in the scrum and actually drew his man and passed setting gilroy away. Big asset.
4. Muller- Captain fantastic
5. Tuohy- Not sure about him at present. Not really carrying as well as he has done in the past. Didnt do much wrong mind you
6. Ferris- Most talented player on the pitch.
7. Henry- Much better from him in fairness. Liked the fact he got involved in the fracas. he needs a bit of dog in him.
8. Wannenburg- He was ok but is so frustrating to watch going into contact.
9. Marshall- Wasnt as bad as i feared and had a good break. He will be our SH when Pienaar is out but he still isnt the answer long term.
10. Humph- Sublime and ridiculous.
11. Gilroy- I thought he had a good game. Couple of drop passes mayb e but i thought they were speculative at best. Took his try well and looks like he can beat a man.
12. Wallace- Used on the crash ball in the first half which doesnt suit him. Gives a element of control we lacked from halfback. A decent showing.
13. Cave- man of the match for me. He is a pitbull in defence and when we started using him on the crash he actually accelerated into contact which a lot of our players dont. Maybe lacks top end speed but I dont think there should even be a debate about him and Spence at present. He is playing so well.
14. trimble- Not as involved as i would have liked but looks hungry and his defence has improved no end. Massive hit on O'Halloran was great.
15. Danielli- I dont think he played well at all. he butchered one try by crabbing sideways, got caught when trying to run and im not convinced he offers much anymore. If Terblanche comes in at 15 i would drop him from the squad. McL wont though.

Subs; great to see Macklin and McAllister in tandem at the end and they stood up ok. Stevenson was solid. Didnt really notice Diack. Porter had a couple of dodgy passes but i would need to watch it again.

I thought we butchered a few tries in truth and should have easily had the BP. That being said i was pleased with how we dominated particularly in the 2nd half.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun 06 Nov 2011, 11:29 am

I think Cave's skillset would be well suited to playing at 12, rather than Spence at 12. His lack of pace wouldn't be a problem at 12, and he has all the skills needed to be a top quality inside centre:

Defence - Outstanding
Crash Ball - Check
Distribution - Check
Rugby Brain - Check
Kicking - Check

Anybody else agree he could do best at 12?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sun 06 Nov 2011, 11:31 am

I think he is ok at 13 to be honest. Not sure i would say he is great at kicking but he looked impressive on the crash ball last night and we really should be using him more instead of hitting Paddy with it.

I would prefer it if Paddy was not at the bottom of the ruck after the crash ball. I dont think he is massively slow. At the minute i cant think of an Irish 13 playing better than Cave but it depends entirely on how the HEC goes.

he is a beast defensively.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun 06 Nov 2011, 11:34 am

I still prefer Spence at 13 if I am honest, just because he is faster, stronger and better at his direct running. I think of Cave as a smarter player, who is a more silky runner but also deceptively strong. He is actually decent at kicking, just hasn't done it often.

Wouldn't his crash ball skills you just mentioned be best utilised at 12 then? I like a 12 who is both strong and smart, which Cave is.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sun 06 Nov 2011, 11:39 am

You could argue they would Rory but at 12 you are more likely to be crashing into the opposition backrow as opposed to backs and the clearout needs to be perfect. whilst his passing isnt bad at all i dont think it is Wallace or Marshalls standard.

Im not sure i would say Spence is stronger than Cave. he is quicker and possibly more dynamic but im not sure his leg drive in the tackle or his body position going into contact is as good as Cave.

Its all a bit moo anyway as Wallace will remain at 12 so Spence and Cave will fight it out for 13. Spence to my mind has the potential to be better but he needs to win his shirt back when he gets a chance. At the minute Cave is deservedly the man in possession

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun 06 Nov 2011, 12:05 pm

We have to believe that we have turned the corner now. Pienaar's injury whilst worrisome gives the others a chance to gather together and prove to us fans that we are not a one man team. SUFTUM.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 06 Nov 2011, 12:43 pm

Wallace actually played very well, a few of the things he did were pure class, like when he took his man on the outside and spun a beautiful inside pass back to Afoa. On the crash ball he makes good yardage with his footwork but is not really his strength!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sun 06 Nov 2011, 12:52 pm

I agree Notch i thought Wallace was good. he can make yards off the crash ball but i would rather have him alive for the next phase. When they used Cave on the crash he actually made more yards. That being said both he and Paddy accelerated into the contact.

I think our backrow (Ferris aside) are guilty of slowing down and trying to step when facing contact as opposed to putting the head down and driving the legs.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 06 Nov 2011, 1:00 pm

That's why I think Cave should play 12 in our own half, but really it's fine. I think we saw last night those two are our best centre partnership.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun 06 Nov 2011, 1:01 pm

It isn't just our backrow, I saw it a few times in the Leinster/Munster match also. Even O'Brien seems to now prefer taking the ball static and trying to step or something instead of taking the ball at pace. At one point when he did take the ball at pace he made some great ground, he needs to do this every time as he is one of the best carriers in the world.

Back to Ulster though, Wannenburg is starting to just remind me of Powell tbh.. big runner in his first season, found out in the second and now he just runs high into contact. I would prefer Diack at 8, and Faloon at 7 wherever he is.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 06 Nov 2011, 1:05 pm

Henry has to start- very impressive game from him yesterday. Wannenburg adds a lot of value to our lineout and maul though.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sun 06 Nov 2011, 1:23 pm

Henry has earned the spot after last night. i would prefer Faloon to Diack on the bench mind you. As much as i like Pedrie if we are serious about moving forward i think we cant offer him a contract next year. If he and Danielli both go that should free up some cash for a big name 7 (although attracting one may be easier said than done)

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun 06 Nov 2011, 1:56 pm

He did have a great game last night but I am not sure if he is good enough for our HEC matches.. I would still prefer Faloon at 7 and Diack at 8. Henry on the bench.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 06 Nov 2011, 1:58 pm

Why do you think Diack is better than Henry? chin
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sun 06 Nov 2011, 2:03 pm

I think Diack SHOULD be better than Henry. Thats why it is so frustrating watching him.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 06 Nov 2011, 3:03 pm

Henry has a lot more dog in him than Diack, a lot more fight and a lot more toughness. We'll need him to be at his best for Ulster over the next few weeks.

An Ulster backrow of Ferris, Faloon and Henry would be good. But we all know that Mclaughs just doesn't seem to rate Faloon that much, though he's picked him for some big games.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by FitzStephen Sun 06 Nov 2011, 9:50 pm

I totally agree with Notch on the back row - Ferris, Faloon and Henry. It was so easy for Connacht last night. All they had to do was tackle the first man and wait for the next Ulsterman to ruck over. Very predictable stuff. Faloon would have been on the shoulder for an offload.

Cave is the Irish Conrad Smith. Play him at 13

FitzStephen

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Sun 06 Nov 2011, 11:58 pm

Just got to watch the game after working all weekend.

Lots of hustle and bustle - individual errors and knock-ons put paid to a couple of otherwise very good attacks.

Marshall was not that bad at all - although I thought Porter was better at the core scrumhalf skill - passing. But some lovely footwork and good box kicking from Small Paul. Tom Court unusually fired up, Best and Cave excellent, Gilroy also very good -notably in defence as well, dealing with that in-goal cross-field kick from Connacht. Danielli showed more pace than I've seen from him recently. but no decisiveness. Nice touches from Wallace and Trimble at times.

Paddy McAllister is great in the loose - deceptively fast and seriously strong. Thought Macklin showed as well why we are prepared to be patient with his scrummaging - lovely step, good tackling.

iHumph usual problematic self - when he's not missing straighforward penalty kicks or throwing the ball away in front of himself, he's putting in beautiful, well-judged kicks for position or ghosting through defenses.

Agreed 100% on the best back-row. Wannenberg was not good at all -constantly lost us ground with ball in hand, failed to control ball at the back of the scrum. 1F merely very good indeed. As has become usual, showed some lovely off-loading - O'Brien could learn a great deal from him in that department.

Afoa seems to be fitting in well. Tuohy seems to have stalled a little.

The pack showed some aggression, the backs some smart play. Used the choke tackle cleverly. Just a couple of individual errors - not nearly clinical enough. Penalty count much, much better, however.

The bottom line is that I am becoming confident that if we get better/more coaches, we have the players to go somewhere. Unfortunately, that will be next season.

Also, if Deccie didn't come away with big red circles round the names "Cave" and "Gilroy", he doesn't know what he's doing.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon 07 Nov 2011, 9:11 am

Morning guys, sun is shining and we have got the much needed win under our belts.

I've been reading some of the comments and would just add my tuppenceworth.

On Danielli, I felt he had a good game. Ran some good lines at pace and looked more comfortable in defence and his positional play was a lot better.

Darren Cave is a 13. Won't ever play 12 nor should he. Paddy Wallace had his best game for us for a long while and there is Luke Marshall to come in. I think the centres should stay the same for the next game.

Marshall was a bit better this week but I think Porter should get a start soon. Can't see McLaugh doing it this week though.

Our forwards were excellent. Good discipline for a change. Front row a match for anyone. Back row operates well. I agree though that Wannenberg is becoming a bit predictable. Would like to see Diack at 8 between Ferris and Henry.

All in all a better performance and maybe we aren't as bad a we thought given the Scarlets performance at the Liberty Stadium.

Bring on the HC. SUFTUM
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 07 Nov 2011, 9:24 am

FitzStephen wrote:
Cave is the Irish Conrad Smith. Play him at 13

Every time I see Cave I am more impressed. He's such a clever player.

I recall a moment when Ulster were attacking in the Connacht 22 and everything was really flat and static and we were struggling to get over the gainline, just plodding through the phases and getting knocked backwards. Suddenly Cave bursts onto the ball from a bit of depth and breaks the gainline and a bit of momentum comes back to the attack again.

Pure class.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2