The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'The Fear'

+19
George1507
Davie
navyblueshorts
mystiroakey
Marcus
JAS
ScottieD18
Hibbz
super_realist
Maverick
Doon the Water
MustPuttBetter
Diggers
Mercurio
McLaren
kwinigolfer
Doc
drive4show
barragan
23 posters

Go down

'The Fear' Empty 'The Fear'

Post by barragan Wed 02 Nov 2011, 1:20 pm

Squeaky bum time ... which shot in golf gives you 'The Fear'?

For me, my chipping has been pretty shawdy this season. On the whole it has improved recently, however the shot that constantly catches me out is when there is obvious elevation change infront of me, just a simple chip from a flattish bit of rough into a flattish green - Fluff.

barragan

Back to top Go down

'The Fear' Empty Re: 'The Fear'

Post by drive4show Wed 02 Nov 2011, 1:24 pm

No question for me, a chip off a bare lie. Even worse if there is sand or water to be carried.

Confidence is shot away, I'll do just about anything to avoid that shot including playing to ANY part of the green and settle for 2 putts. It's almost become an automatic bogey for me now Sad

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed 02 Nov 2011, 1:26 pm

For me its got to be the 110 to 150yd over water, don't know why, but possibly because I always splashed out years ago, and its still there on takeaway thumbsdown

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 02 Nov 2011, 1:31 pm

Tee shot over an extended forced carry; the sure knowledge that, if I duff it, I'm playing three with the bum just as squeaky.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 02 Nov 2011, 1:31 pm

Any bunker shot around the green, I am not sure whether my expectation are too high or whether I am just useless but these shots never seem to work out. At best I get to about 20 feet and at worst I end up 50 yards across another hole. They have to be my weakest shots by far.

If I broke my game down into differing elements my handicaps for each section would look like this.

Driving 4
Irons 5
Chipping 5
Pitching 4/5
Bunker play 18
Long putting 10
Short putting 6

I really dread the thought of hitting the beach.

Last edited by McLaren on Wed 02 Nov 2011, 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Wed 02 Nov 2011, 1:35 pm

drive4show wrote:No question for me, a chip off a bare lie. Even worse if there is sand or water to be carried.

Confidence is shot away, I'll do just about anything to avoid that shot including playing to ANY part of the green and settle for 2 putts. It's almost become an automatic bogey for me now Sad

I've recently improved massively with this shot by simply having very, very soft hands. I've even surprised myself at how consistent I've been playing them.

Not long ago, I'd be expecting a skulled ball through the green with one of them shots but I'm actually starting to love chipping now.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 02 Nov 2011, 1:38 pm

Little wedge shots from about 50 yards in with a downhill lie.
Shanktastic for me.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Wed 02 Nov 2011, 1:39 pm

The shot I struggle with and frustrates me the most, which is also regarded by some as the hardest shot in golf, is the 30-50 yard bunker shot.

I always seem to get a brilliant connection and fly the ball 75-80 yards.

Last edited by Mercurio on Wed 02 Nov 2011, 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 02 Nov 2011, 1:40 pm

Fairway bunker shots for me

I find it almost impossible to advance the ball any distance without hitting the lip. If i clip the ball off cleanly it will hit the lip every time!

If it's a medal i usually play out sideways like a greenside shot, making any hole where i go in a fairway bunker an almost guaranteed bogey. Rubbish!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Wed 02 Nov 2011, 1:40 pm

Diggers wrote:Little wedge shots from about 50 yards in with a downhill lie.
Shanktastic for me.

Do you tilt your body so that your shoulders are aligned to the slope and take a club less?

If not, try it. As with all strokes, you must commit to the shot.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed 02 Nov 2011, 1:46 pm

I always find it interesting that quite a number of golfers find bunker shots hard to play.
Once you have the correct technique it is probably the easiest shot in golf.

For me it is the 50 yard flat pitch shot, I have resorted to the rescue if I feel the negative vibes come on.
Rescue= chipper in disguise

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 02 Nov 2011, 1:51 pm

Mercurio wrote:
Shanktastic for me.

Do you tilt your body so that your shoulders are aligned to the slope and take a club less?

Sorry wrote that wrong, meant ball below my feet rather that downhill lie (I like those one). Am only taking my lob wedge so cant club any lower. I do try and get my weight forward so make up for the slop but think its one of those things thats now become a bit of a mental problem.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed 02 Nov 2011, 1:59 pm

Mercurio wrote:The shot I struggle with and frustrates me the most, which is also regarded by some as the hardest shot in golf, is the 30-50 yard bunker shot.

I always seem to get a brilliant connection and fly the ball 75-80 yards.

Exactly, or 10 yds steam

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 02 Nov 2011, 2:05 pm

McLaren wrote:Any bunker shot around the green, I am not sure whether my expectation are too high or whether I am just useless but these shots never seem to work out. At best I get to about 20 feet and at worst I end up 50 yards across another hole. They have to be my weakest shots by far.

If I broke my game down into differing elements my handicaps for each section would look like this.

Driving 4
Irons 5
Chipping 5
Pitching 4/5
Bunker play 18
Long putting 10
Short putting 6

I really dread the thought of hitting the beach.

So is this how you come to your ever fluctuating handicap then Mac you average it out... It's all clear to me now, well as clear as mud.

I'm with Doon on this though, I think to much is made of bunker shots and how they are supposedly impossible. It's surprisingly easy especially once technique is correct and you stop fiddling with it.

I think if you approach any shot with "the fear" then your setting up to fail, and already talking yourself out of making a good attempt at it.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 02 Nov 2011, 2:07 pm

Doon the Water wrote:I always find it interesting that quite a number of golfers find bunker shots hard to play.
Once you have the correct technique it is probably the easiest shot in golf.

For me it is the 50 yard flat pitch shot, I have resorted to the rescue if I feel the negative vibes come on.
Rescue= chipper in disguise

But Doon, once you have the correct technique the flat pitch is one of the easiest shots in golf Whistle
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 02 Nov 2011, 2:15 pm

Mav

Was just a list of how well I think I play each type of shot. Long putting and bunker shots seem to be my downfall. I have a lot of three putts.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 02 Nov 2011, 2:17 pm

I'm not scared of any shot so to speak but my least favourites are putts in excess of 30 feet. In fact I've taken to wedging them off TOC's greens.

I also don't like left to right putts that have a big swing, can never convince myself to hit it hard enough to take the break I need and miss on the amateur side more often than not.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 02 Nov 2011, 2:19 pm

Mac was just pulling your chain.

Three putts though in my experience the issue players have with long putts is pace and putting to the hole instead of putting to something more specific like and area behind the hole.

Good drill for this is one that Dave Stockton teaches, place a couple of tee's 18 inches past the hole and instead of trying to hole the long putt, try to get in to stop in the area between the hole and the tee's (so in the 18 inches beyond it) focusing purely on that area and th epace to get it to stop there be surprised how this really gets your pace spot on and how many times the hole actually gets in the way and the ball drops

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 02 Nov 2011, 2:20 pm

SR the left to right putt the perenial issue for right handers. It's got to be to do with it not being the natural shape for putting when your a right hander. Almost feels like your putting across yourself.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Wed 02 Nov 2011, 2:28 pm

Diggers wrote:
Mercurio wrote:
Shanktastic for me.

Sorry wrote that wrong, meant ball below my feet rather that downhill lie (I like those one). Am only taking my lob wedge so cant club any lower. I do try and get my weight forward so make up for the slop but think its one of those things thats now become a bit of a mental problem.

I'm with you Diggers though I'm not sure it gives me the fear. I'd say this was just an effing difficult shot. Given this situation from say 150-200yds you've at least got the option of hitting a cutty/slicey/fadey thing. From 50yds with a wedge is just a nightmare. You're gonna be setting up towards the hozel to begin with I usually go for the old Hibbz scuff with a seven iron and hope.

Putts of between 18"-30" are worst for me I think. You've done the hard work so not anything left to gain on the hole but everything to lose. Make it down hill right to left as well and I tend to just shut my eyes and hope.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Wed 02 Nov 2011, 2:31 pm

Maverick wrote:SR the left to right putt the perennial issue for right handers. It's got to be to do with it not being the natural shape for putting when your a right hander. Almost feels like your putting across yourself.

That's interesting I prefer left to righters as I feel like you can drop it into the hole where as right to left I feel like I'm forcing it in. Different strokes for different folks as they say.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 02 Nov 2011, 2:35 pm

Panacea or band aid?

Long bunker shots (say 30 yds to 70 yds).

If at all possible (lip and/or lie permitting) I always play these with a chipping or stiff-wristed pitching motion, pick the ball of the sand if possible, with a pw or 9-iron. Never attempt a proper long bunker shot as the misses can be catastrophic.

I probably don't get the ball "up and down" as often as the conventional method, but my misses usually have me putting, and keep me in the hole.

(Agree with s_r, especially on slippery downhill bleeders . . . . . )

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Wed 02 Nov 2011, 2:53 pm

Any time I have to use my 60 degree Vokey wedge. Love the 52 and 56 Vokey wedges and I'm normally regarded as a good pitcher, but this is my second 60 degree wedge and I just can't get use to a club with such loft. I'm considering chaging for a 58 or a 60 with less bounce.

The other fear shot is the 3-4 foot par put after missing the 6-10 foot birdie put.

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 02 Nov 2011, 2:54 pm

I wouldn't have a 60 in my bag, 58 is plenty and the only time I'd use it would be for flop shots and bunkers.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 02 Nov 2011, 2:58 pm

Don't see why people carry 60 degree wedges there really is no requirement in the Amateur game .

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Wed 02 Nov 2011, 3:02 pm

Super,

No problems using for short bunker shots, but the flop shot is a mightmair.

Maverick,

I used to agree with you but the new home course this year has lots of raised greens as it is built on a floodplain so a couple of times per round something more lofted than 56 degrees is required. Just have to practice or try 58 degrees.

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 02 Nov 2011, 3:06 pm

Scottie, flop shots are just like bunker shots with an open face, you just have to commit to the shot and make sure you follow through or you'll bone it across the green.

Even a 58 is a little bit much for pitching and chipping with, you'll probably get much more control and versatility with a 52.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 02 Nov 2011, 3:18 pm

Wouldn't call it fear but the shot I least like to be faced with is a downhill lie at the back of a greenside bunker (with no opportunity to come out backwards) where the green also slopes away to either water or jungle.....snookered!!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Wed 02 Nov 2011, 3:26 pm

I'm fearless.

Don't think there's a shot that I struggle with on a regular basis. When I hit a poor shot I just put them down to being crap, not being scared.

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed 02 Nov 2011, 3:56 pm

Mpb
I know the technique and when I am brave enough to use it I can play the shot, I hit about 3 or 4 gooduns last game. It is a twitchy brain thing, like the yips.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 02 Nov 2011, 4:30 pm

the fear lol- 6 footer for the win- omg the fear(but i am sure thats the same with everyone)

at present my personal fear is driving- will it go 330 yards and staright or will it dissapear

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 02 Nov 2011, 5:02 pm

A 5 off the tee ain't much fun after you've hoiked 2 oob.

Or...another shot to grow the worry worts...what about a drive in a 3-4 club left to right wind with oob all down the right??

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 02 Nov 2011, 5:17 pm

mystiroakey wrote:...at present my personal fear is driving- will it go 330 yards and staright or will it dissapear

Amen to that Brother! Been a bit better recently but really frustrating; especially so as I seem to be bombing it a long way (for me anyway). Here's to next season.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 02 Nov 2011, 5:21 pm

Apart from my current driving (see above), I'd have to go with a greenside chip off a really tight/bare lie where you can't simply hit a bump-and-run i.e. you have some elevation to content with, no green to work with or a hazard to go over. I have a worrying tendency to be overly wary of a thin and consequently duff it mad.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 02 Nov 2011, 5:23 pm

yeah it got to a point were i could only use driver a few times a round(in medals)- not a biggie really mind. just love the feeling of a massive drive .

what does annoy me alot of the time is when i get an average length hitter spraying it just as much yet only being in the rough not in the bondai like me!

but thats life and golf i am way to aggresive since i started back at a club agian this year- however i have got to the point were i know were to miss the shot- i have developed a bail out option(no right or no left swing)- i regulary play of the wrong fairways Rolling Eyes- but better to have a shot than none at all!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Wed 02 Nov 2011, 5:59 pm

Anyone who is struggling with their short game should watch Big Phil's short game DVD. It's brill, and a lot of the tips he gives really work well.

I downloaded it from frostwire as an ISO format, then burnt it to DVD. :cough: all legal of course :cough:

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 02 Nov 2011, 7:38 pm

JAS wrote:Or...another shot to grow the worry worts...what about a drive in a 3-4 club left to right wind with oob all down the right??

I don't need a 3-4 club left to right wind to worry about OOB all down the right mad

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Wed 02 Nov 2011, 8:40 pm

you gotta love the cynics . . . don't get too comfy chaps, the fear will creep up on you eventually!

good advice coming through as always though.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Thu 03 Nov 2011, 7:56 am

300 yards from the green. Uphill, into a howling gale. Sideways rain. Ball in heavy rough.

I never seem to be able to get it onto the green. Sad

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu 03 Nov 2011, 8:45 am

George, once you've mastered the technique that's actually one of the easiest shots in golf Wink
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Thu 03 Nov 2011, 9:43 am

('Yahoo')

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Thu 03 Nov 2011, 4:49 pm

Mines is 150 yards from the middle of the green in a fairway bunker, I usually get it out, but nowhere near the green, have now resorted to taking a 7 or 8 iron depending on the lip on the bunker, and hitting a very easy shot just to try and get within 50 yards of the green and in the fairway

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 03 Nov 2011, 4:54 pm

Question:

What is the fear?
How did you get the fear?
How do you lose the fear?

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Thu 03 Nov 2011, 6:02 pm

My fear is any Iron shot from 60 yards to hybrid distance.

Mav

For me the fear is when i have a shot, i need to use a full iron on, i will first look for any other shot that a hybrid/wood (wether viable or not) can be used, and when no other option is available i will stand over the ball and be praying it goes forward,

the fear is probably more detrimental to the shot than any technique i have

How did i get the fear, simple, just hit to many shots that were awful that i spend all the time thinking of what can go wrong.

Start hitting Irons properly, or at least find some way to think positively

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Thu 03 Nov 2011, 7:39 pm

Mav
I carry a 60 degree wedge, use it mostly as a sand iron, but have managed to play a few flop shots with it over bunkers.

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by Yadsendew Thu 03 Nov 2011, 7:59 pm

My fear is that the Bar will be closed by the time I get in.

.....and, of course, the next shot after the dreaded hosel rocket.

Yadsendew

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 03 Nov 2011, 8:04 pm

that is the real fear the next shot after a tommy tank --- 'The Fear' 55808161

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Thu 03 Nov 2011, 8:16 pm

I love playing my 58 wedge off the fairway. It's very rewarding to hear and feel the thump of the bounce of the club off the turf. It almost sounds like I'm hitting a drumskin.

A full shot with the 58 is 55-60 yards.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by liegerwoods Thu 03 Nov 2011, 9:35 pm

mystiroakey wrote:that is the real fear the next shot after a tommy tank --- 'The Fear' 55808161

i remember reading a post from someone who told us about the guy who got caught crackin one off in the locker room.........i think we found him Shocked Shocked

liegerwoods

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 06 Nov 2011, 7:21 pm

liegerwoods wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:that is the real fear the next shot after a tommy tank --- 'The Fear' 55808161

i remember reading a post from someone who told us about the guy who got caught crackin one off in the locker room.........i think we found him Shocked Shocked

lol- think shhhhh not wyyyy

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down