The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

France's fear of losing

5 posters

Go down

France's fear of losing Empty France's fear of losing

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sun 11 Nov 2012, 10:50 am

It was interesting to read PSA's comments on yesterday's win. He said that fear of losing raises the French game. After the humiliation in 2010 the pressure was on France to not repeat such an abject home defeat. France have an annoying tendency to turn up to games they should win and find very quickly a way to lose them. They get points put on them and they may come to life late in the game to score a few because all the pressure is off.

But put them in a game where they think they've been written off or that they might not lose, and suddenly the fear of losing raises their game to exciting new heights. Take last year's RWC. They were written off by the world media and fans alike (I remember being rubbished by many saying the final was going to be a hard fought thing and none of the previous games mattered) but none more so than the NZ media. They almost came out on top and many still feel they did enough to win. The ABs know only too well France's ability to raise their game.

What must be infuriating for a French fan is their inability to keep their standards consistently high. Their record in the 6N is woefully inconsistent at a time when a team with such depth and talent as theirs should be consistently pressing for top spot. NZ has a similar fear of losing but they manage to keep that mentality for most of their games.

I was pleased to see France win yesterday and not just because I had picked them to win in Biltong's thread. I think they have a team that can consistently challenge for the top spot. They have a huge pack, some silky operators in the backs and big men to make the impact on defence and attack. It's a very well balanced side and often what lets them down is not their talent but their mental strength. Too often, as well, they tend to play conservative tactics and play within themselves. That's why yesterday's emphatic result was pleasing for me. Now I'd like to see some continuity along those lines because this French side is capable of those kinds of results on a regular basis. Too often their performances look like a seismograph. Allez les Bleus!

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

France's fear of losing Empty Re: France's fear of losing

Post by Biltong Sun 11 Nov 2012, 11:15 am

Is it really the "fear" of losing?

We spoke about this before about SA, where PDV was questioned about the Boks not expressing themselves and in their case it was the fear of losing.

Not sure that is applicable here.

Perhaps the release of the pressure of the fear of losing?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 11 Nov 2012, 11:15 am

I dont know if you watched the game against the Aussies last night but it was the Frédéric Michalak show. Michalak was the difference between the two sides.

On song like that, he is second only to Dan Carter as the best 10 in the world however, when not, he and France are average.

There may be this fear of loosing thingy but i put Frances inconsistency more down to the selected game plans from the coaches and their inability to change that if its not working.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 11 Nov 2012, 11:17 am

Well Michalack was brilliant for the Sharks this past Super XV season, I think he thrived under Plumtree and has given him a huge boost in confidence
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 11 Nov 2012, 11:20 am

It was really great seeing him control a game for France again. I still rate him over Trinh Duc.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sun 11 Nov 2012, 11:20 am

Michalak was helped by a totally dominant pack. When France haven't got that he has tended to be a bit flaky.

I agree with the post above though - how frustrating it must be for a French fan ?
Though the average French fan can be pretty fickle themselves so maybe it's just a 'French mental' thing?

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sun 11 Nov 2012, 11:40 am

The coach himself said it: Afterwards, France coach Philippe Saint-Andre praised his team: "I'm proud of the players. French rugby is a bit like that, when we're scared we can do great things. Taken from the BBC site.

I agree with him. France and Australia are alike in that aspect I think. Australia have lost to Samoa, Scotland and Ireland (no real shame in that but a number ranked two team in the world should expect to win those matches.) With all their injuries though they still manage 2nd spot in the 4N. Australia were given little chance against Argentina away and found a way to grind out a win. Same in Brisbane. When you write off this Wallaby side then it's very dangerous. England might well fancy their chances next weekend but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they lose to the Wallabies.

I just think there are some teams you shouldn't write off. Australia and France more than any other teams deserve that respect. Say nice things about them and let them talk themselves up. If you say bad things about them and predict a crushing, more often than not you get egg on your face.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sun 11 Nov 2012, 11:42 am

Well its not exactly a bad thing to have! Scotland seem to have a fear of winning, well in 6Ns matches at least Wink

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down