The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Q&A with Robert 'The Ghost' Guerrero

+4
John Bloody Wayne
Scottrf
Adam D
Fists of Fury
8 posters

Go down

Q&A with Robert 'The Ghost' Guerrero Empty Q&A with Robert 'The Ghost' Guerrero

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 03 Nov 2011, 10:30 pm

Evening guys, here is our Q&A with Robert 'The Ghost' Guerrero.

Spoiler:

Robert holds a professional boxing record of 29 wins (18 KO's), 1 loss, 1 draw and 2 no contests.

For those that are unaware, Guerrero is currently recovering from an injury to his rotator cuff sustained during the build-up to his scheduled bout with Marcos Maidana, and was last seen in the ring dominating Michael Katsidis on his way to a shut-out win. The future is certainly bright for Guerrero, and he looked mightily impressive last time out. Hopefully we will see him back in action soon.

His story is certainly an interesting one. In 2007, his wife was diagnosed with leukaemia, putting his boxing career temporarily on hold in order to look after her, but she has since shown herself to be as great a fighter as her husband when recovering after receiving a bone marrow transplant.

I'm sure you'll all agree that Robert's answers to your questions are excellent, and we thank him for being so open and honest in his responses, as well as giving up his time to take part in this Q&A with 606v2.

Questions

Robert, first of all thanks for agreeing to take part in one of the 606v2 Boxing Q&A's. How is your injury coming along, and when can we expect to see you back in the ring?

RG: The doctor says that my shoulder is far ahead of schedule and that he expects me to be back in the ring by early 2012. I have full rotation in my shoulder and I’m confident I’ll be stronger when I return.

Your proposed fight with Marcos Maidana was one that had plenty of boxing fans around the world excited. Is this a fight that you will be looking to resurrect once you have fully recovered from your injury?

RG: Just to let everyone know how bad I wanted the Maidana fight, I turned down more money to face Morales because I’m here to fight the best for the fans. On the flip note, Maidana wouldn’t get in the ring with me unless he was making an enormous amount of money, a hit that I would’ve taken in my purse. But I took the fight anyway. As soon as my shoulder heals, I’m going to entertain all fights including one with Maidana.

How did you envisage the fight with Maidana going? In your last fight you looked very impressive in shutting out another brawler type fighter in Michael Katsidis, do you think you would dominate the Maidana fight in much the same way, by keeping it at range with your powerful straight punches?

RG: Maidana as opposed to Katsidis is a bigger puncher but with slower feet. Both are dangerous fighters but I feel my boxing skill would prevail with a victory the same way against either of them.

There have been plenty of rumours circulating regarding a fight between yourself and Amir Khan. Do you think this is a possibility at some point in the future or would you be unwilling to possibly have to travel up to the welterweight division for this fight?

RG: You can never believe anything Amir Khan says. One day he says he would rather fight me than Zab Judah only because he thought he was going to get the Bradley Fight. Once that didn’t happen, he went back to sign the contract with Judah after saying he didn’t want to fight him because he’s a runner. Khan, after being knocked out by Prescott has been the biggest runner in boxing. He has no chin so he runs scared when he fights. When they asked me if I would fight Khan I said anytime, anywhere. We both have the same promoter so that fight would be easy to make and he would have made more money fighting me. He chose to fight Judah for less money and got the easy win. Now he’s fighting Peterson. Enough said.

When you were fighting Katsidis did you have a moment where you thought "is this guy made of stone?"

RG: Katsidis is a very tough guy and I knew that going in. I almost had him out of there in the middle rounds but he’s tough as nails. So yeah, I was surprised he lasted that long.

What weight class do you intend to finish up at, and where do you see your best weight class being at the moment? It wasn't long ago you were a featherweight and there is already talk of fights as high as welterweight, that's an awful big jump in weight for anyone.

RG: If you look at history you know that back in the days there were only a few weight classes and today’s welterweights would be fighting middleweights. Shane Mosley never fought at Jr. Welterweight going from lightweight straight to welterweight and he’s had a successful career. If you’re a true fighter then you fight the best within reason. I’ve been blessed to win world titles in three different weight classes with more coming God willing. I have the frame to fight at Jr. middleweight if need be. I’m just looking for the best fights out there.

Amir Khan supposedly accused you of feigning injury and receiving step aside money to allow Maidana to become WBA Champion. Why do you think he made this outlandish statement? It seems pretty classless to make these allegations when a fellow athlete is going through a hard time in their career. Do you think he feels threatened by you?

RG: He makes these outlandish statements that are classless only when he heard I was out of the fight. He was on the record saying he thought Maidana would beat me, and then later said he thought I would beat him. He’s a joke and I believe he’s terrified to fight me. How can you argue that he’s not threatened to fight me…he didn’t sign the contract to fight me in the summer.

You've said that you'd like to face Floyd Mayweather Jr in the near future. What do you think you bring to the table that 42 others before you did not? How would you win this fight?

RG: First of all Floyd is a human being and anyone can be beat on any given day. I can do many things in the ring that most fighter can’t. I can fight inside, outside, box, punch, whatever you want to call it, I can do. Most importantly I believe in my abilities and I’m a hungry fighter. When I say hungry I mean STARVING!

You have obviously been through very difficult times recently with the illness of your wife Casey. It was a very warming story to see that she had found a bone marrow match which allowed her to begin her recovery. How is she now?

RG: I thank my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ for the miracle bone marrow match that saved her life. Matter of fact, the match was found in England. Words can’t describe how thankful I am for her being her today. She’s doing great and I’m able to focus full time on boxing.

It may sound like a bit of a cliche, but did the pain you knew your wife was going through mean that you saw any pain you would receive through boxing minor and irrelevant in the scheme of things - did this make you tougher?

RG: Watching what she had to go through made me think how minute boxing is in the big scheme of life. It definitely made me tougher and appreciate everything I got. I’m grateful for the little things in life.

Do you already have a set number of aims to achieve in the sport before calling it a day, i.e. who you want to fight, which titles you want to fight for and at what weights, or do you just take things fight by fight?

RG: My main goal is to be the best fighters pound for pound and make my mark in history. I want to be remembered as a fighter who never ducked anybody and fought the best. Hopefully I’ll make it to the boxing Hall of Fame one day.

What do you feel are your key strengths as a boxer?

RG: I’m blessed with great feet, so I’m able to avoid punches that most fighters wouldn’t be able too. That is one of many strengths that I propose.

What is the best venue you have fought in?

RG: The Staples Center in Los Angeles is incredible.

What first inspired you to walk into a boxing gym?

RG: I come from a family of boxers. My dad trained my older brothers and I always looked up to them. That’s how it all started.

What frustrates you most about boxing?

RG: What frustrates me most about boxing is when the so called pound for pound fighter don’t fight the best. Fighters need to let their nuts hang and stop worrying about a loss. Sugar Ray Robinson is considered to be the best fighter in the world and he had 19 loses when his career was done. Yeah it was a different structure back in those days but a loss shouldn’t be the end of the world. I consider myself a throwback fighter, one that is willing to fight anyone anywhere.

If you could make any changes to the sport of boxing, what would they be? Whether it be less belts, no catchweights, less divisions, anything you can think of.

RG: I would implement Olympic style drug testing in all championship fights and mandate that the TV networks make the best fight the best. And purses should be based on what draw you bring to the gate. There’re are fighters out who cant draw flies that are making millions. It shouldn’t be that way.

You're of Mexican descent, of which there's obviously been many fantastic fighters from those shores. Has there been a particular fighter (Mexican or not) that you view as your hero?

RG: Salvador Sanchez, Julio Cesar Chavez and Oscar De La Hoya are my favorite fighters.

On your way to a world title shot, which single fight you were in do you feel taught you the most?

RG: My loss to Gamaliel Diaz by far taught me the most in any fight. When you lose for the first time, you can reflect on what you did wrong and never make that mistake again. I avenged my loss in the rematch with a 6 round knockout. Khan, Ortiz, Linares those guys never fought the guys who beat them. I think that says a lot about me as a fighter.

How comfortable do you feel at lightweight? Would you consider fighting Brandon Rios at that weight?

RG: I feel good anywhere from lightweight to welterweight. Brandon Rios is a tough fighter and I would fight him in a heartbeat. I don’t think his team would make that fight and that’s the problem with boxing.

What was your amateur career like?

RG: I had about 120 amateur fights. I was the youngest fighter ever to fight in the Olympic trials here in the states. No one will ever be younger because the birthday fell on the cutoff date. I was 16 years old fighting grown men. I lost to bronze medalist Clarence Vinson, but everyone said I beat him. That’s why I turned pro at age 17, I didn’t agree with the scoring system.

I believe you are a southpaw, Graham Houston disagrees. What do you consider yourself?

RG: I’m a born southpaw.

If there was any boxer from history that you could choose to fight, who would it be?

RG: Roberto Duran, he was considered the toughest fighter in his era.

Is there any past boxer that you tried to model your style on?

RG: No but I look at film on other fighters and implement little things to my style.

If you weren't a boxer, what would you be?

RG: I like cars so maybe a mechanic.

Are there any unorthodox training techniques that you use?

RG: No I’m old school, push-ups, sit-ups and roadwork and a lot of visualization.

Where is the most intimidating place you have fought?

RG: I would have to say when I traveled to Denmark to fight Spen Abazi in his hometown. My back was against the wall and I had to get the knockout to win. It wasn’t that I was intimidated, it was more like I have to win this fight to feed my family.

During and immediately after the fight with Salido did you ever have any suspicions that he may have been trying to cheat you?

RG: My management team thought that before the fight, but I went in there and did my best. When I was hitting him with shots that would crush most fighters, he didn’t budge. I thought something was fishy but continued to fight. It was because he was pissing blood that they found the steroids. If it weren’t for me pounding his body, he would have got away with cheating because the commission wouldn’t of found the drugs with a simple urine sample.

In your spare time outside of boxing, what do you enjoy doing?

RG: I have two children so I like to spend time with them going places. I also like to restore cars.

How would you like to be remembered, once you have retired from boxing?

RG: As one of the best to put on the gloves and someone who never ducked anyone.

And finally, (from our resident web designer), it appears that you do not have a website, do you want one?! ;-)

RG: I’m working on getting one before my next fight. Fans can follow me on twitter@ghostboxing and Facebook.com/ghostfans. www.RobertGuerrero.com goes to my documentary page. To all my fans in England I love you guys and I hope to fight out there someday. I think I can sell out an arena out there if given the opportunity. God bless to everyone.

Many thanks for agreeing to do this Q&A, we really do appreciate your time. All the best for your recovery and your future fights, we're looking forward to seeing you back in the ring.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Q&A with Robert 'The Ghost' Guerrero Empty Re: Q&A with Robert 'The Ghost' Guerrero

Post by Adam D Thu 03 Nov 2011, 10:31 pm

another great Q&A Fists - well done. clap

Thanks to Robert as well!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Q&A with Robert 'The Ghost' Guerrero Empty Re: Q&A with Robert 'The Ghost' Guerrero

Post by Scottrf Thu 03 Nov 2011, 10:38 pm

Excellent, interest read, one of the best ones.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 03 Nov 2011, 10:42 pm

You missed a couple of questions.

Still good, like...

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Thu 03 Nov 2011, 10:49 pm

I like the sound of him he seems a good guy who is not a ducker

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 03 Nov 2011, 10:57 pm

Haha, he really seems to have a dislike for Amir!!!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Thu 03 Nov 2011, 11:00 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Haha, he really seems to have a dislike for Amir!!!

I think he is spot on about Khan the guy talks so much bs always making excuses and calling people out and not fighting them he says he will fight Mayweather or Bradley lol he will prob fight Morales next or Marquez after Pacquioa destroys him

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 03 Nov 2011, 11:14 pm

Seems like a very genuine guy, doesn't he?

Some great answers I thought, very open and honest, and it genuinely seems like he wants to take on the very best, which can only be commended.

He's a very skilful fighter, and I think he'd prove a bit of a tough assignment for anyone.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 03 Nov 2011, 11:29 pm

Yeah really good Q & A fists, seems like a great guy to be honest, spoke frankly about a lot of things. Nice guy.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Fri 04 Nov 2011, 8:50 am

Excellent read that Fists good job mate. Definitely one of the best I have read and seems 100% genuine.

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 04 Nov 2011, 9:26 am

Great Q&A, up there with Martinez for genuineness and affability but he's got an edge there that's good to see. Speaks a lot of sense and I'd love to see him in the ring with Amir. I'd put my money on Amir to win but it'd still be a great fight and more competitive than Amir's last couple of outings. Pity it will inevitably never happen as Khan will move up through the weights just once step ahead of The Ghost I feel.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 04 Nov 2011, 9:32 am

I'd enjoy seeing Guerrero in with Rios.

The Ghost put on a real clinic against Katsidis, and it'd be interesting to see if he could apply the same tactics against someone that is like a young Katsidis and a real live-wire.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 04 Nov 2011, 9:34 am

In the same way Rios is broadly similar to Katsidis, Guerrero is almost a southpaw Acosta. Would be a good fight.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 04 Nov 2011, 11:52 am

I'd probably give Guerrero the edge, just. I feel he has the skill and the pop to keep Rios from mauling him, and after the half way stage this would begin to have a telling effect.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 04 Nov 2011, 11:55 am

I'd call it to Rios myself, get it signed!

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 04 Nov 2011, 12:00 pm

Did you send the Q&A off to Rios yet? If not you can mention Guerrero saying he’d be too scared to fight.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 04 Nov 2011, 12:23 pm

Yeah I sent that one off the other day. Shame, but I will ask him that question regardless when I speak to him, and let you know his response.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down