The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Floyd Mayweather vs Robert Guerrero on the way...

+13
oxring
The genius of PBF
KingMonkey
88Chris05
davidemore
Rowley
manos de piedra
ShahenshahG
TopHat24/7
The Sweet Science UK
johnson2
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
17 posters

Go down

Floyd Mayweather vs Robert Guerrero on the way... Empty Floyd Mayweather vs Robert Guerrero on the way...

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 10 Jan 2012, 12:16 pm

Undefeated American boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. is reportedly close to finalizing an agreement to fight former lightweight champion Robert "The Ghost" Guerrero, according to The Sweet Science.

Mayweather announced last year that he is making his return to the ring on May 5 and is aiming for the biggest fight possible, leading boxing fans to believe that he will finally face off against fellow pound-for-pound king Manny "Pacman" Pacquiao.

Mayweather fueled those rumors when he released a series of videos on Fight Hype challenging Pacquiao to "sign the contract" for a May 5 fight date.

But negotiations between the two camps fell apart anew when Mayweather was sentenced to 90 days in jail following a guilty plea to a 2010 domestic violence charge.

His sentence was eventually postponed until June, but at that point, he was no longer included in the shortlist of potential opponents for Pacquiao, according to the Filipino's promoter, Bob Arum of Top Rank.

Raymond Markarian of The Sweet Science said that "(a) source with knowledge of the negotiation told me that the two sides were very close to securing a deal that could be announced as early as this week."

Although the fight has not yet been announced, Guerrero is already looking forward to fighting against Mayweather, saying in various interviews that he has studied the American boxer.

"A clash with Mayweather will undoubtedly be the biggest fight of Guerrero's career," Markarian said. "Mayweather's advisor, Leonard Ellerbe, said their camp will announce Mayweather's opponent this week, and the signs are pointing towards Guerrero getting the shot he desires."

Top Rank's Arum has already criticized a potential Mayweather-Guerrero clash. In a Boxing Scene interview, he claimed that the fight "won't do any business at all."

Taken from: http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/01/10/12/mayweather-fight-ghost

Seems this fight almost ready to be announced.

I really wanted to see the Alvarez fight get made but I'll be happy to watch this one as well.

Top Rank have some front bad mouthing ANYTHING Mayweather does at this point considering its their fault this match up is being made in the first place.

Both men stand at 5ft 8" but obviously the subject of The Ghost coming from Lightweight to Welter will be the talking point.

Guerrero has repeatedly called out Floyd over the past 6-12 months and personally I think he is good enough to mix it with any current welter, but Floyd isnt just any welter and I see a 118-110 type score for the Prettyboy.

So whats 606v2's take on this one??

Thanks

Dee
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Floyd Mayweather vs Robert Guerrero on the way... Empty Re: Floyd Mayweather vs Robert Guerrero on the way...

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 10 Jan 2012, 12:22 pm

It's not a fight that is being received well by the fans. It's been getting slated on twitter along with Peterson vs Pacquiao.

Can't see Guerrero troubling Mayweather tbh. He may be the same height but it's a big step up in weight and class. He's coming into the fight off the back of surgery as well.

I think wins by a late stoppage he's a big strong welterweight now.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Floyd Mayweather vs Robert Guerrero on the way... Empty Re: Floyd Mayweather vs Robert Guerrero on the way...

Post by johnson2 Tue 10 Jan 2012, 12:28 pm

Would rather see Floyd figtht Canelo, Berto or Ortiz than bringing up Guerrero who cannot even claim to be the best at LW.

Mayweather wins a complete shut out without any scares on the way. Too much speed and accuracy on his side for Guerrero to make a fight of it.

God I wish Manny would sign to fight him...

johnson2

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sweet Science UK Tue 10 Jan 2012, 12:29 pm

Jesus. I'd rather see Mayweather in with Alvarez or Cotto.

This is a nothing fight and I'd lose a lot of respect for Mayweather (the boxer/businessman) if he does this and I think a lot of other fans would too.
The Sweet Science UK
The Sweet Science UK

http://thesweetscienceuk.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 10 Jan 2012, 12:31 pm

Well I think as Arum is running for the hills with his Manny piggy bank, there isn't much more out there to keep busy with.

Never could see GBP setting Alvarez up for a fight with Floyd at this point. A defeat for Saul would cost them millions.

Outside of that, Guerrero offers as much as a challange as anyone else to be fair. And the lad has been vocal in wanting this fight and fair play he actually has the nuts to take it.

He hasn't came out with the "I'll be ready in 18 months" garbage like Khan or made an issue of the surgery.

Its as good as we can get unfortunately
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by johnson2 Tue 10 Jan 2012, 12:36 pm

Maybe Matthew Hatton could step up to the plate.

About 18/24 months ago boxing and football were neck and neck in terms of my favourite sport. Football, despite its obvious faults, wins it by a country mile now.

johnson2

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 10 Jan 2012, 12:38 pm

Great, Mayweather to fight another blown-up lightweight....

Let me guess, 144 catchweight which PBF will promptly ingnore, take the negligable hit on his purse, and then spank said blown-up lightweight around the ring for 12 rounds. Boring.......

Last edited by TopHat24/7 on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 10 Jan 2012, 12:39 pm

Any gents here handy with cars? am in bit of a bind and time is short

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 10 Jan 2012, 12:41 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:Any gents here handy with cars? am in bit of a bind and time is short

Did you check the turny thingy?
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by johnson2 Tue 10 Jan 2012, 12:45 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:Any gents here handy with cars? am in bit of a bind and time is short

I know my stuff...

I was an apprentice mechanic upon leaving school at 16. Lasted 9 months before I was sacked for some questionable behaviour and a bad attitude.

johnson2

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 10 Jan 2012, 12:47 pm

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=290600317882

can you see that stub on the top left of the pic - going diagnally from the radiator - everytime i try to top up the reserve tank - the water leaks out of there - and the car heats up after 5 minutes. Is that meant to be connected to a pipe or has a cap fallen off?

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 10 Jan 2012, 12:48 pm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-ASTRA-1-7-DTI-ZAFIRA-1-7-DTI-RADIATOR-NEW-/290600317882?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43a920f3ba

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by johnson2 Tue 10 Jan 2012, 12:50 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=290600317882

can you see that stub on the top left of the pic - going diagnally from the radiator - everytime i try to top up the reserve tank - the water leaks out of there - and the car heats up after 5 minutes. Is that meant to be connected to a pipe or has a cap fallen off?

Link doesnt work my friend, gets stuck when loading...

johnson2

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 10 Jan 2012, 12:51 pm

Not a good fight. For all the obvious reasons. If options at 147 are thin he should be looking up not down at this stage. Guerrero isnt even established as the best in his divsion. Marquez was the obvious one and Rios would also have an argument.

Pacquiao v Peterson would also be disappointing. Of the four opponents on the list Peterson would be the weakest.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 10 Jan 2012, 1:03 pm

Hard to see this as anything other than a massive disappointment, Guerrero has that kind of flavour of the month, cool name to throw about type status at the minute but in reality has not really done too much at lightweight to set himself out as anything special at that weight and certainly nothing to suggest he can compete in such company at welter.

For as long as it is not Manny in the opposite corner there is always going to be a sense of disappointment because there are very few fighters at welter or below that you would give more than a 20% chance of beating Floyd, given this would much prefer to see him in with Cotto or Alvarez because at least at light heavy the weight has potential to become an issue.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Tue 10 Jan 2012, 1:06 pm

True Rowley, but there is no way Floyd is going to be making any issues for himself, no way.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by johnson2 Tue 10 Jan 2012, 1:07 pm

I doubt very much Floyd will fight Canelo. He can earn very well against Guerrero and have an easy nights work. Although he would earn more money against Canelo, he may pose him a few problems which Floyd probably cant be bothered to have to deal with.

johnson2

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 10 Jan 2012, 1:08 pm

rowley wrote:Hard to see this as anything other than a massive disappointment, Guerrero has that kind of flavour of the month, cool name to throw about type status at the minute but in reality has not really done too much at lightweight to set himself out as anything special at that weight and certainly nothing to suggest he can compete in such company at welter.

For as long as it is not Manny in the opposite corner there is always going to be a sense of disappointment because there are very few fighters at welter or below that you would give more than a 20% chance of beating Floyd, given this would much prefer to see him in with Cotto or Alvarez because at least at light heavy the weight has potential to become an issue.

Thats Mayweathers specialty these days. Pick a fighter whos reputation is high, market value is high but actual threat level is pretty low.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by johnson2 Tue 10 Jan 2012, 1:08 pm

davidemore wrote:True Rowley, but there is no way Floyd is going to be making any issues for himself, no way.

Exactly emore, exacltly. No way does he fight a tough fighter, no way jose, no way, not a chance, no way, no.

johnson2

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 10 Jan 2012, 1:15 pm

I suppose I should really have known better than to let myself get carried away in the hope of seeing Mayweather against Alvarez / Martinez. Given his recent "sign the contract, Pacquiao" statements I thought he may really be looking to make a statement with his next opponent; Guerrero, good Lightweight though he is, doesn't really do so.

Of course, he could surprise us all. It's probably a little unfair to write him off one hundred percent and totally dismiss his right to fight Mayweather. But unless Mayweather gets old overnight, or is distracted by his upcoming porridge experience to such a degree that his mind just isn't on boxing, I can't really see the danger here, or even the scope for an exciting fight.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 10 Jan 2012, 1:19 pm

Guerrero could surprise everyone and make it a good, close fight, a bit like Marquez did against Pacquaio. But Mayweather will start a fairly massive favourite which isnt really what you want.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Tue 10 Jan 2012, 1:33 pm

Guerrero is a big lightweight though, if he does it properly he can bulk up well for this and not slow down to slug speed. He has looked good in his recent fights but by the time May comes about he'll have been out of the ring for what? A year? That doesn't bode well for me (or the Ghost).

If had had another decent wing since smashing the life out of Katsidis, maybe at LWW, I'd like this more.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 10 Jan 2012, 1:40 pm

KM whilst you may well be right in saying he looks big at lightweight we have to be realistic here and say this is a big ask. Many have argued in the past that when Duran went from light weight to welter to beat Leonard it deserves to be considered one of the best wins in the history of the sport, and not too many would argue with that, and lets be honest Guerrero does not have anywhere near the body of work at light weight Duran did and has shown us nothing to suggest he is anywhere near of that level.

There is a world of difference between looking the part against Katisidis, who lets not forget then got pretty convincingly beat by Ricky Burns and stepping up two weights to beat the best fighter of his generation, the more I think about this the more it has the look of a mismatch, there are not more than a couple of lightweights ever I would fancy to be competitive with Floyd in their first time ever at welterweight and Geurrero sure ain't one of them.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Tue 10 Jan 2012, 1:52 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Great, Mayweather to fight another blown-up lightweight....

Let me guess, 144 catchweight which PBF will promptly ingnore, take the negligable hit on his purse, and then spank said blown-up lightweight around the ring for 12 rounds. Boring.......

The same blown up lightweight that gave your hero Pacquiao a schooling...How can Marquez be a blown up lightweight when he in the eyes of most beat the supposedly best welterweight and pound for pound number one in the world in Pacquiao.

Marquez proved he is no blown up lightweight...Guerrero is a live opponent when's the last time Pacquiao faced one? Mosley and Margarito were clearly shot, he thought Marquez was too and it backfired on him.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 10 Jan 2012, 1:59 pm

The genius of PBF wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:Great, Mayweather to fight another blown-up lightweight....

The same blown up lightweight that gave your hero Pacquiao a schooling...How can Marquez be a blown up lightweight when he in the eyes of most beat the supposedly best welterweight and pound for pound number one in the world in Pacquiao.

Marquez proved he is no blown up lightweight...Guerrero is a live opponent when's the last time Pacquiao faced one? Mosley and Margarito were clearly shot, he thought Marquez was too and it backfired on him.

Exactly
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 10 Jan 2012, 2:02 pm

Guererro is an unispiring opponent regardless of anything to do with Pacquiao.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Tue 10 Jan 2012, 2:06 pm

http://www.boxingscene.com/mayweather-vs-guerrero-experts-give-their-take--46143

Unispiring for you maybe

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 10 Jan 2012, 2:06 pm

manos de piedra wrote:Guererro is an unispiring opponent regardless of anything to do with Pacquiao.

Grow up Manos, it is impossible to discuss or consider the actions of either without relating it directly to the other, and some people on here think you know what you're talking about.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 10 Jan 2012, 2:11 pm

manos de piedra wrote:Guererro is an unispiring opponent regardless of anything to do with Pacquiao.

I agree with you all the way Manos that its not one to get the heart racing, but unfortunately the writing is on the wall that Floyd and Manny are always going to be compared on everything include potential opponents.

I hate it myself but its the way things have become. Guerrero is as much as a threat to Floyd as the 4 fighters that Manny is currently sifting through. I hate to think people are thinking Floyd is dodging Alvarez because to be honest I haven't heard any serious call outs from the Mexican's Team. And Cotto........well 6 months ago, this was seen as a complete mismatch after what happened against Marg 1 and Pacquiao. I don't see whats changed just because of a revenge win against another fighter who has been beaten from pillar to post and was never really that good.

Guerrero sells more than Bradley and Peterson combined and get humilated just as bad. Marquez would get shut out again also. And Khan believes Mayweather is ducking him yet says he won't be ready to fight him for another 18 months when Floyd is in his late 30's and Khan is in his prime. Its a ridiculous state of affairs for Superfights at this time.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 10 Jan 2012, 2:16 pm

The genius of PBF wrote:http://www.boxingscene.com/mayweather-vs-guerrero-experts-give-their-take--46143

Unispiring for you maybe

Yep, and uninspiring in comparison to the potential other fights out there. I doubt any of those experts would have preffered to see Guerrero as an opponent over Alvarez for instance.

But its fine, Im not to interested in getting into it truth be told. Its an ok fight against a fighter thats most likely very good but is unproven above lightweight, not massively proven at lightweight and going up against the best in the world. Guerrero could perform well and surprise people but on paper this fight is no better than ok and is less appealing than several other fights that were out there.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Tue 10 Jan 2012, 2:16 pm

alma wrote:
The genius of PBF wrote:http://www.boxingscene.com/mayweather-vs-guerrero-experts-give-their-take--46143

Unispiring for you maybe

Yeah, cos so many experts were correct picking DeGale vs Groves weren't they?

True I picked Groves to win thumbsup

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 10 Jan 2012, 2:17 pm

alma wrote:

Unispiring for you maybe

Is that supposed to be some kind of comparison?

Or are you just pointing out that upsets occur in boxing in general?

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Tue 10 Jan 2012, 2:27 pm

I mentioned this on the other thread - there's an argument to say that this could well be a Floyd stoppage. Guerrero should have moments - he's a quick southpaw with a decent jab. But I can't see it being any more than moments really.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 10 Jan 2012, 2:59 pm

I personally see this as a competetive fight, I have Floyd winning but maybe Guerrero taking 3 possibly 4 rounds. To me this is a decent fight, most certainly not the couple I would have liked to have seen which would have been Mayweather/Pac or Mayweather/Alvarez however, but I guess it was always unlikely Golden Boy would let him near an up and comer like Alvarez albeit he has a decent chance against Floyd.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Tue 10 Jan 2012, 3:04 pm

Mayweather will win this one, and although not what we want as an opponent, we will all surely be watching?

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 10 Jan 2012, 3:10 pm

davidemore wrote:Mayweather will win this one, and although not what we want as an opponent, we will all surely be watching?

If it's on Primetime again, you can guess again.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 10 Jan 2012, 3:21 pm

alma wrote:
manos de piedra wrote:
alma wrote:

Unispiring for you maybe

Is that supposed to be some kind of comparison?

Or are you just pointing out that upsets occur in boxing in general?

My point was that so-called experts are often wrong, so the fact that 6 have picked Guerrero to win doesn't mean it will necessarily be a competitive fight.

I agree. 6 out of 22 isnt even that many. Not surprisingly most of the experts with hispanic background have gone with Guerrero.

Its an ok fight and dependant on alot of what ifs about Guerrero. There were about 4 fights I would have rather seen made though with a couple of others about the same. Guerrero is still a few fights away from really earning a shot considering what else is out there.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Tue 10 Jan 2012, 3:27 pm

I'm happier with The Ghost over Alvarez if I'm honest. I'd rather Alvarez build up his cv with a few more names before taking on the likes of Floyd because he could (COULD) be the one to topple him. Just not yet.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 10 Jan 2012, 3:45 pm

KingMonkey wrote:I'm happier with The Ghost over Alvarez if I'm honest. I'd rather Alvarez build up his cv with a few more names before taking on the likes of Floyd because he could (COULD) be the one to topple him. Just not yet.

Interesting opinion, but let's keep in mind that Mayweather is nudging thirty-five. Not sure if benefits either of them to wait and wait to make a fight between themselves - unless Alvarez is happy to take on the bigger names when they're on their way back down the other side of the hill, that is.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Tue 10 Jan 2012, 3:48 pm

Alvarez is pretty active, he could come on leaps and bounds by the middle of next year but you're right, any later than that and Floyd will be looking at getting out (again). The timing might be right then but it certainly isn't right now no matter how exciting the prospect is.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 10 Jan 2012, 3:48 pm

Floyd has shown no signs of slowing and even if Alvarez did beat Floyd it wouldn't be at his best weigth class so he would inevitably be marked down for that also.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Tue 10 Jan 2012, 4:00 pm

Oh yeah, you're right, silly me. I doubt anyone will bat an eye in that case and Floyd doesn't give a hoot about his 'O'.

Carry on people, nothing to see here.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 10 Jan 2012, 4:02 pm

Floyd is taking a big risk going up to face Alvarez is all I'm meaning, it most certainly isn't his optimum weight class, an old De La Hoya ran him close there.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue 10 Jan 2012, 6:47 pm

Any opponant other than Manny will dissapoint most fans so Floyd was probably going to get stick whoever he picked.

Floyd hasn't got a vast selection of guys to pick:

-Top Rank/Team Pac are avoiding the fight like the plague.

-Berto/Ortiz are fighting Feb and no guarentee they could be ready for early May.

-JMM is pointless as he's been there and done the job already.

-Bradley and Cotto are Top Rank and Arum won't let any of his guys lose to him (which is what would happen).

-Alvarez, I don't think Alvarez or GBP want this. GBP would want to market him some more as he could be THE star draw of boxing in the future. After his last fight ALvarez mentioned Floyd but since he's been very quiet so don't think he would of taken the fight if offered anyway.

-I'm not saying The Ghost is the best possible challenge but he is a very good fighter with good skills and very good footwork I.e. Not the best style like a slugger like Rios, Maidana and Pac to a lesser extent.

Arum will do his best to slate the fight which although not ideal is surely heavily influenced by Arum petrified to let Floyd fight the guy everyone wants him to and would reject other viable opponants as well!

De La Hoya has been on a constant Twitter barrage against Arum saying he's basically been desparate to make 'the' fight happen and says Arum won't return calls and saying Arum will not make the fight and Pac just hides behind this. If he wanted the fight Pac would say it rather than vaguely mention it at a conference at home and then become a mute during the whole media storm about the fight and potential opponants for both!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 10 Jan 2012, 6:49 pm

Just posted this on the other Mayweather thread but it seems apt here aswell:

Literally 10 minutes ago on Twitter, Mayweather tweeted "Manny Pacquiao I'm calling you out let's fight May 5th and give the world what they want to see". He followed this with "My jail sentence was pushed back because the date was locked in. Step up punk.".

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 Jan 2012, 6:52 pm

Talk is cheap....He wasn't expecting anybody to pick it up and post it on sites like these honest..

Give me strength..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 10 Jan 2012, 6:56 pm

JDizzle wrote:Just posted this on the other Mayweather thread but it seems apt here aswell:

Literally 10 minutes ago on Twitter, Mayweather tweeted "Manny Pacquiao I'm calling you out let's fight May 5th and give the world what they want to see". He followed this with "My jail sentence was pushed back because the date was locked in. Step up punk.".

Probably posted ten minutes after he signed to fight Guerrero

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down