The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gloucester's EFS gets RFU charge and plenty of citings.

+5
wales606
Knowsit17
formerly known as Sam
LondonTiger
beshocked
9 posters

Go down

Gloucester's EFS gets RFU charge and plenty of citings. Empty Gloucester's EFS gets RFU charge and plenty of citings.

Post by beshocked Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:04 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/15536817.stm

I am personally very pleased with this. EFS doesn't know when to shut up and must face the consequences.

Good on you RFU clap OK

Yes I know Farrell was very cordial to EFS after the heated Gloucester-Saracens match. EFS started this controversy in his side's AP semi loss to Saracens by provoking Farrell.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/club/8870343/Gloucester-centre-Eliota-Fuimaono-Sapolu-charged-by-RFU-over-Twitter-rants.html

Did anyone see anyone of the citing incidents? Does anyone expect bans to happen?

Farrell has also been charged with a dangerous tackle on Gloucester centre Henry Trinder during last week's match, one of four citings from the game.

Gloucester prop Nick Wood has been charged with a dangerous tackle on Farrell and hooker Darren Dawidiuk with a similar offence against Saracens centre Brad Barritt.

Saracens prop Rhys Gill has been charged with an act contrary to good sportsmanship by putting his hands round the throat of Gloucester's Scotland lock Jim Hamilton.

All four will appear before an RFU disciplinary panel at the Royal Courts of Justice next Tuesday along with London Irish's England full-back who has been charged with a dangerous tackle on Tom Biggs and striking Dave Attwood with his knees during last Saturday's home defeat by Bath.

Worcester winger Miles Benjamin has also been cited for a dangerous tackle on Wasps fly-half Nicky Robinson and he will appear before Monday's tribunal in Bristol.

Sale and Wales No 8 Andy Powell has been cited for a dangerous tackle on Leicester counterpart Thomas Waldrom. A date for his hearing has yet to be decided.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Gloucester's EFS gets RFU charge and plenty of citings. Empty Re: Gloucester's EFS gets RFU charge and plenty of citings.

Post by LondonTiger Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:22 pm

I have no idea what he said on Twitter, and he should know better.

However I do suspect that if Farrell had been sinbinned - as he should have been, and was going to be till Borthwick intervened, things may have been different. That Tim wigglesworth allowed Borthwick's bullying change his mind was dreadful.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Gloucester's EFS gets RFU charge and plenty of citings. Empty Re: Gloucester's EFS gets RFU charge and plenty of citings.

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:29 pm

Have to say I didn't see the Powell on Waldrom one so I would imagine that is probabley a slap on the wrist procedure similar to what Stankovitch got after the game vs Bath.

From memory the Wood one was a high tackle in which he hung on, so maybe a slap on the wrist and low end ban. Can't remember the Dawiduk one very well, the Gill incident was what started the niggle early doors and was a bit stupid but nothing to much in it so maybe a stern word and a one week sit out. Farrell likely to get 2 to 3 weeks after good behaviour has been taken into consideration.

EFS really should have let it go, "what happens on the pitch, stays on the pitch" was the motto I was always brought up on. In fact I was always told it was bad manners to carry on a feud afterwards and you share a drink and move on. EFS has a bit of a reputation for moaning on Twitter so he might land himself in hot water again. Delon Armitage with a double citing as well, his reputation is quickly turning dodgey and he needs a few months of being whiter than white.

Anyone see any of the ones I miss?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:37 pm

As long as the citing officer is consistent I don't mind. I doubt he will though. I expect Farrell to be banned. I haven't seen it but heard about it.

Londontiger Borthwick bullied the ref did he? You said it so it must be true!

I saw the tweets before they were taken off. They were in bad taste. Farrell did likely provoke him but he had every right to. EFS shouldn't haven't taken the hook,line and sinker.

Sam I am not sure how you can say Farrell should be banned for 3 weeks yet a certain player throwing 3 haymakers (admittedly only one connected) only got 5 weeks?

I hope they throw the book at Delon.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:43 pm

Sam I am not sure how you can say Farrell should be banned for 3 weeks yet 3 connecting haymakers only got 5 weeks?

12 weeks reduced to 6 weeks on previous good behaviour and admission of guilt (pretty sure only one connected as well). Likely Farrell will be given between 4-6 weeks reduced by half on previous good behaviour and admission of guilt.

Londontiger Borthwick bullied the ref did he? You said it so it must be true!

Borthwick arrived at pace, very loudly and with lots of gesticulating. I couldn't make out what was said but he was clearly irrate and the ref had to tell him to shut up. The ref had his hand in his pocket prior to Borthwick's arrival. It's worth noting the ref didn't see the incident and gave the penalty on the advice of the touch judge which probabley meant he was unsure of whether to produce a card as the TJ didn't advise either way.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:59 pm

4-6 weeks for a possible yellow card offence? Wow. I know you don't like Farrell but still....

Don't worry I am sure you'll get your wish Sam. The disciplinary panel is a shambles anyway. E.g. Mealamu and Umaga planting BOD into a ground like putting in a new plant and Burger's gouging on the lion's tour.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:00 pm

Is this the nature of the toys flung from the EFS pram this time?

“To young rugby players do not be arrogant. If you want to be tough on the field make sure you back it up off it.#farrell.
“Love it when players talk big on the field in front of the camera. I like to see if they still talk big off the field when no cameras around.
“Raised in New Zealand and Samoa, I’ve never had that s**t before ever. Good luck bro when you tour round my parts.
“What goes on the pitch stays on the pitch?? Don’t use the pitch to showcase your FAKE toughness you Cat s**t.”

Not surprising really. Put EFS on a street corner wearing a hoody and you might just discover he fits in marvellously. Hope his ban gets doubled for this.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:06 pm

EFS is an odd one. I think he likes the limelight too much.

I also think what Farrell said was just after the match so obviously tensions were high.

Does anyone think EFS thinks before posting on his twitter account?

Why didn't Gloucester or anyone ban him from using Twitter?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:11 pm

Farrell should not be banned. It was only a yellow card incident I felt.

However as the challenge was illegal on three counts (but lower end of illegality) being late, high and no use of the arms - the citing panel may see differently.

Other than being a tiny compared to a Tuilagi, it was similar to a challenge Alessana was cited for 2 years ago (I think against Sarries). Worryingly for Farrell, Alessana got two weeks for that I think.

And yes, Borthwick was all over the ref giving him a right earfull. I guess that is his job - but it was an unedifying spectacle.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:13 pm

Londontiger if he's banned. He's banned. All I personally want is consistency from the citing commissioner.

Mark Cueto's reduced ban smacked of favouritism too.

Anyway we'll have to wait and see.

Do bans just mean in the AP or all competitions?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:16 pm

"Does anyone think EFS thinks before posting on his twitter account?"

I doubt he thinks very much at all full stop. How ironic that he finds it in himself to accuse others of mouthing off when, based on evidence of the past three months, that's his own impulse reaction whenever something doesn't go his or his team's way.

You know what they say about the acrobatics of an inflated ego. Though going on EFS's infamous claims, I'm surprised he hasn't yet accused Farrell of being Hitler in disguise.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:20 pm

beshocked wrote:Do bans just mean in the AP or all competitions?

All. So any bans meted out include HC & Amlin.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:25 pm

If he was critical of the referee, wont that instantly enforce his 2 year ban that the IRB deferred?
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by gelodge Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:47 pm

Is the reason that Welsh supporters seem to dislike him more because they feel that his twitter comments during the WC, although directed at the IRB rather than them, devalued their win?

gelodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:53 pm

beshocked wrote:
I hope they throw the book at Delon.

Any particular reason, or just because you don't like him?
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:39 pm

Firstly, I am a big fan of twitter as I use it daily for my business, and I am not as fussed or shocked by what EFS has been tweeting. I completely agree that once you've left the field it should finish, but then by that token Farrell shouldn't be commenting on something months old. Equally, it is rather strange that Farrell can tell him to f*** off and call him a bitch, yet it's EFS rather less expletive retort that is brought up.

We wait to see the outcome of the hearing, but I will be hugely disappointed if this is the last we see of him as the Jeff will have lost a huge talent. Of course, most of that will be his fault and he does need to learn how to protest within the boundaries.

I do want to pick up on 2 points made. Firstly, we can't ban him from using twitter as this is basic freedom of speach. Secondly, I find the suggestion that his ban should be doubled (to 1 year) exceptionally farcical. Is this offense really worse than gouging? Only Attoub's ban has been longer than a year, whereas most are around 12 weeks. I find gouging to be the single worst element in the game today. EFS is a very clean player, he has made some ill-advised comments about players and has criticised the IRB - which most of us would agree, whilst his choice of analogies were very poorly chosen and offensive, actually all were valid points, i.e. rest periods.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:52 pm

gelodge wrote:Is the reason that Welsh supporters seem to dislike him more because they feel that his twitter comments during the WC, although directed at the IRB rather than them, devalued their win?

Who does like him? I haven't seen a representative from any nation bar Samoa condone his actions or show his petulance any sympathy, yet you are somehow able to attach general dislike of EFS solely to the Welsh. Please explain.

For the sake of argument, I'd be embarrassed if he was Welsh and would continue giving him his due criticism for bringing the game into disrepute no matter where he was from.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by gelodge Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:50 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:
gelodge wrote:Is the reason that Welsh supporters seem to dislike him more because they feel that his twitter comments during the WC, although directed at the IRB rather than them, devalued their win?

Who does like him? I haven't seen a representative from any nation bar Samoa condone his actions or show his petulance any sympathy, yet you are somehow able to attach general dislike of EFS solely to the Welsh. Please explain.

For the sake of argument, I'd be embarrassed if he was Welsh and would continue giving him his due criticism for bringing the game into disrepute no matter where he was from.

I didn't claim that he was liked, I said that "Welsh supporters seem to dislike him more". There's certainly a difference between not condoning someone's actions and disliking them though, they are often independent standpoints.

Most people, myself included, think his rants were idiotic and deserving of punishment, but the stronger dislike (hatred at times) and personal attacks seem to primarily come from Welsh quarters.

gelodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:58 pm

No we just think he's a prat and a sore loser, we looked for a Welsh granny or some heritage for him to play for Wales, but we had no luck sadly, so Iv'e no idea where that kind of attitude comes from... Erm
Seriously though I think it was him saying theyd kill Wales with 7 days rest not 4, that annoyed people because the blame really should of gone on their coach for picking their first team verses Namibia 4 days before when their reserves are just as talented and play for very high profile clubs themselves. They gambled and lost, and to say they'd "kill" Wales was very disrespectful, as Wales werent hammered by anyone at the World Cup.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:03 pm

beshocked wrote:4-6 weeks for a possible yellow card offence? Wow. I know you don't like Farrell but still....

Don't worry I am sure you'll get your wish Sam. The disciplinary panel is a shambles anyway. E.g. Mealamu and Umaga planting BOD into a ground like putting in a new plant and Burger's gouging on the lion's tour.

I'd actually prefer him to avoid a ban as I want all the English teams to do well in the hec and sarries need his place kicking skills. Currently the citing commission are coming down hard on dangerous tackles and shoulder charges come under that. What should be two weeks will end up more than that and then be reduced (halved) on the usual basis.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down