The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stevie and Woods

+9
LadyPutt
super_realist
Davie
ScottieD18
twoeightnine
Maverick
Doc
JPX
erictheblueuk
13 posters

Go down

Stevie and Woods Empty Stevie and Woods

Post by erictheblueuk Tue 08 Nov 2011, 4:26 pm

I'm not looking to rake over what Stevie said, that's covered in other threads.

What I want to know is, why does Stevie seem so bitter to a guy that's made him and rich famous ? If Stevie's wife was amongst the Tiger babes then maybe I could understand it, other than that I just don't get it.

Last edited by erictheblueuk on Tue 08 Nov 2011, 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Stevie and Woods Empty Re: Stevie and Woods

Post by JPX Tue 08 Nov 2011, 4:34 pm

His ego was unable to take getting sacked!

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue 08 Nov 2011, 4:36 pm

Probably because he spent months being idle whilst Tiger was out injured, and then playing with his swing, and then keeping a low profile and not playing. I would imagine he will have been on some form of retainer, but will have seen his earnings drop significantly over the last couple of years. Then Tiger bins him, so guess he was jarred off?

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue 08 Nov 2011, 4:58 pm

Probably because the retainer was bigger than the purses any other player can give him. Oh and he's a sad bitter little man

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by erictheblueuk Tue 08 Nov 2011, 5:52 pm

You guys could be right but If someone put $12m in my pocket, was best man at my wedding, I was his best man at his wedding etc.

I'd like to think I'd be a bit more forgiving knowing about his personal problems, the media stories, marriage breakdown, loss of sponsorships, injury/rehab, swing changes etc.

If he did fire me I hope I'd be able to walk away without burning any bridges. Even if Stevie never worked another day in his life I'm sure there's a best selling "The Tiger Years" book in there somewhere.
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Tue 08 Nov 2011, 5:54 pm

I would imagine that after keeping his head down and sticking by Tiger while everyone and his dog piled in he felt a little hard done by when he was dropped as soon as Tiger started to play again. There can be little doubt that he would have known what was going on so would have probably felt that he deserved some loyalty in return.

While that allows him to be very peed off, acting like a kid is not the way to go either.

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Wed 09 Nov 2011, 9:17 am

Getting sacked after waiting for 18 months for Tiger to return to a full schedule as stated earlier, but probably also a couple of other reasons.

When Tiger's scandal hit the news the media assumed Williams either knew or was even involved. Williams said at the time his wife and Tiger's wife were close friends so you can image the questions he faced from his wife. Williams made it clear at the time he was not involved and knew nothing. I think we have to accept this statement (if he did know or was involved then I think the media would have outed him by now). Williams could have left Tiger at that time and picked up another good bag, but he decided to stay with Tiger. Although I am sure there were other reasons I think loyality to Tiger was part of the decision. 18 months later Tiger shows little loyality back.

Williams has stated he wanted to be there if / when Tiger broke Jack's major record. He was not Tiger's caddy for the first Major but he was for all others. Given Williams should have plenty in the bank, this was probably his main motivation for continuing as a caddy. Although based on reflected glory, Tiger took this dream away from him.

Williams thought he had some level of approval from Tiger for working with Adam Scott during Tiger's injury in the summer. There has been speculation that this was part of the reason for getting sacked as Tiger felt Williams was not being loyal to him.

None of us know the full story but based on the information available I totally understand why Williams is p*ss*d off with Tiger. However, Williams behaviour since being sacked has been dreadfull. Looks more like a divorce than a sacking. Hopeully the recent incident puts an end to the matter.

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 09 Nov 2011, 9:20 am

ScottieD18 wrote:However, Williams behaviour since being sacked has been dreadfull.

As far as I'm concerned, Williams' behaviour has always been pretty suspect - not just since the sacking

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 09 Nov 2011, 9:40 am

Davie wrote:
ScottieD18 wrote:However, Williams behaviour since being sacked has been dreadfull.

As far as I'm concerned, Williams' behaviour has always been pretty suspect - not just since the sacking

Woods also is no angel and is a pretty insufferable person on course.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Wed 09 Nov 2011, 10:15 am

twoeightnine wrote:I would imagine that after keeping his head down and sticking by Tiger while everyone and his dog piled in he felt a little hard done by when he was dropped as soon as Tiger started to play again. There can be little doubt that he would have known what was going on so would have probably felt that he deserved some loyalty in return.

While that allows him to be very peed off, acting like a kid is not the way to go either.

Quite agree OK and now it's time to drop the subject and move on.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Wed 09 Nov 2011, 10:25 am

super_realist wrote:
Davie wrote:

I agree, but was he an insufferable person before becoming Tiger's caddy or did he become insufferable because of working for Tiger.

I find myself inadvertantly sticking up the guy. I guess I just feel some sympathy for his position.

I can recall the early Tiger years. The amount of press and reporters behind the ropes was rediculous and thousands of fans following the other side of the ropes for every round and every shot. Tiger needed a caddy with a big pair of b*lls who would take care of these distractions and allow Tiger to focus on the golf. Williams did a good job in this regard and being popular was not part of the remit.

I would agree that William's ego became over inflated with the reflected glory, but would any of us working that closely with Tiger have went the same way?

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 09 Nov 2011, 10:32 am

I agree, but was he an insufferable person before becoming Tiger's caddy or did he become insufferable because of working for Tiger.

I find myself inadvertantly sticking up the guy. I guess I just feel some sympathy for his position.

Even when he worked for norman he was an idiot known to make stupid remarks. Many times from what i believe Norman reigned him in.

What is there to feel sympathy for, he's made millions carrying a golf bag for the sports most high profile player. He is still making a good coin for another good player and gets more press than he deserves oh how my heart bleeds..

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Wed 09 Nov 2011, 10:49 am

Maverick,

Interesting to hear some of his history with Norman.

He probably is not a nice guy but i still have some sympathy for his current situation.

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 09 Nov 2011, 10:53 am

ScottieD18 wrote:Maverick,

He probably is not a nice guy but i still have some sympathy for his current situation.

What is there to have sympathy for though.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 09 Nov 2011, 10:55 am

ScottieD18 wrote:
super_realist wrote:
Davie wrote:

I can recall the early Tiger years. The amount of press and reporters behind the ropes was rediculous and thousands of fans following the other side of the ropes for every round and every shot. Tiger needed a caddy with a big pair of b*lls who would take care of these distractions and allow Tiger to focus on the golf. Williams did a good job in this regard and being popular was not part of the remit.

I would agree that William's ego became over inflated with the reflected glory, but would any of us working that closely with Tiger have went the same way?

Or here's a thought. Possibly Williams deep down always resented working for a black guy, clearly having to play second fiddle, in fact really performing the role of a very well paid lacky.
Then he gets fired, what a humilation for him, and all that deep rooted resentment and all that racial angst come rusing to the surface to the degree where he has to say Woods is just a black guy which helps him justify his own feelings of hurt and humiliation.
I reckon a few psychologists might go along with my theoryafter his recent bizarre antics . Its probably complete tosh and I dont actually believe it myself but then again everything on here is speculation so its as good a theory as any.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 09 Nov 2011, 10:58 am

I love all this

Perhaps Woods is an alien who unbeknown to us all abducted Williams and, under mind control, told him to be his caddie. The mind control only works for around 10 years, forcing Tiger to let him go and now Williams memories are coming back and he's not happy...............
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Wed 09 Nov 2011, 11:04 am

Williams is a good caddie in the sense that he never went out with 15 clubs in the bag, never got his yardages wrong, never dropped the ball in the lake and so on. He mostly knew the right shot and club for Tiger to hit.

His PR is poor though, but perhaps that isn't high on a golfer's list when choosing a caddie. It only becomes an issue when you are used to be the best golfer in the world, and your life unravels in the full glare of the media.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 09 Nov 2011, 11:07 am

One thing is clear, Williams is not on the correct evolutionary step.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Wed 09 Nov 2011, 11:17 am

Maverick wrote:

Look, I have never liked the guy but I always respected the job he did for Tiger.

When Tiger's private life went public he showed loyality to Tiger and Tiger showed none back. He felt betrayed which caused a rant after Adam Scott won last year then a totally wrong choice of words when he got an award for the very same rant which then resulted in world wide accusations of him being a racist (most would agree this is not the case) and almost losing his career (okay job) as a caddy.

Just seems a bit tragic thats.

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 09 Nov 2011, 11:23 am

ScottieD18 wrote:
Maverick wrote:

Look, I have never liked the guy but I always respected the job he did for Tiger.

When Tiger's private life went public he showed loyality to Tiger and Tiger showed none back. He felt betrayed which caused a rant after Adam Scott won last year then a totally wrong choice of words when he got an award for the very same rant which then resulted in world wide accusations of him being a racist (most would agree this is not the case) and almost losing his career (okay job) as a caddy.

Just seems a bit tragic thats.

Tragic, not really the word I would use. Idiotic perhaps.
The guy is worth multi millions for carrying a bag and doing a bit of minding. Id say that the golfers are overpaid but Williams is by far and away the most overpaid person I can think of pretty much in any walk of life.
He was the one who opened his mouth to provoke ridicule.....not once (which in my view would have been acceptable), but twice, so personally I dont have any sympathy for the bloke.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 09 Nov 2011, 11:31 am

Cannot feel any sympathy for someone who for several years running was listed as the highest earning Kiwi sportsmam in the world. Yet he isn't a sportsmand he is a caddy.

He stuck by Woods, he was paid to and paid well. Name a man who wouldn't have stuck by him for that money.

Woods did what all employers have the right to do, change staff, he would have paid him well for ending his contract. He also is able to sell his story which I believe is already being written for his years with Woods.

He made the comments he did so thats his own fault...

So to summarise we have a multi millionairre who was paid to do a job and stand by his employer and is still earning a good crust, but he happens to be an idiot... Yep i'm lacking sympathy.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down