The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heinekin Cup - Pool 4. Ulster v ASM Clermont Auvergne, Ravenhill Saturday 12th Nov KO 15.40PM (Live on Sky Sports)

+27
MrsP
Notch
Backrower678
George Carlin
Rory_Gallagher
Artful_Dodger
Pot Hale
Gibson
wales606
radelven
Thomond
dublin_dave
asoreleftshoulder
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Dave.
Don Alfonso
funnyExiledScot
Glas a du
WillyGilly
clivemcl
Standulstermen
theshanker
red_stag
Kingshu
1F'sgonnagetya!
rodders
Rava
31 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Who will win Group 4

Heinekin Cup - Pool 4. Ulster v  ASM Clermont Auvergne, Ravenhill Saturday 12th Nov KO 15.40PM (Live on Sky Sports) - Page 3 Vote_lcap0%Heinekin Cup - Pool 4. Ulster v  ASM Clermont Auvergne, Ravenhill Saturday 12th Nov KO 15.40PM (Live on Sky Sports) - Page 3 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Heinekin Cup - Pool 4. Ulster v  ASM Clermont Auvergne, Ravenhill Saturday 12th Nov KO 15.40PM (Live on Sky Sports) - Page 3 Vote_lcap54%Heinekin Cup - Pool 4. Ulster v  ASM Clermont Auvergne, Ravenhill Saturday 12th Nov KO 15.40PM (Live on Sky Sports) - Page 3 Vote_rcap 54% 
[ 22 ]
Heinekin Cup - Pool 4. Ulster v  ASM Clermont Auvergne, Ravenhill Saturday 12th Nov KO 15.40PM (Live on Sky Sports) - Page 3 Vote_lcap24%Heinekin Cup - Pool 4. Ulster v  ASM Clermont Auvergne, Ravenhill Saturday 12th Nov KO 15.40PM (Live on Sky Sports) - Page 3 Vote_rcap 24% 
[ 10 ]
Heinekin Cup - Pool 4. Ulster v  ASM Clermont Auvergne, Ravenhill Saturday 12th Nov KO 15.40PM (Live on Sky Sports) - Page 3 Vote_lcap22%Heinekin Cup - Pool 4. Ulster v  ASM Clermont Auvergne, Ravenhill Saturday 12th Nov KO 15.40PM (Live on Sky Sports) - Page 3 Vote_rcap 22% 
[ 9 ]

Total Votes : 41

Heinekin Cup - Pool 4. Ulster v  ASM Clermont Auvergne, Ravenhill Saturday 12th Nov KO 15.40PM (Live on Sky Sports) - Page 3 Empty Heinekin Cup - Pool 4. Ulster v ASM Clermont Auvergne, Ravenhill Saturday 12th Nov KO 15.40PM (Live on Sky Sports)

Post by Rava Wed 09 Nov 2011, 12:24 pm

First topic message reminder :

Middle of the week and the excitement is growing. They don't come much bigger in Europe than ASM do they? Probably one of the toughest teams to beat either home or away. They have started the season with a bang - currently they are second in the Super 14 - and come to Ravenhill on the back of some of the best form in club rugby.

Ulster will have benefited from the win last week against Connacht and the "fragile" confidence will have been repaired to some extent. The performance, while not exceptional, showed the returning WC players weren't suffering any hangovers with outstanding shifts from talismen Wallace, Ferris, Best and Muller.

Can Ulster keep the season alive with a win? Would a home defeat in Round 1 be disastrous. Who's going to the game? Can Rory Gallagher accept Faloon not playing? Where is Geoff?

The floor is open guys and I will keep this article updated with team news as it comes out.

11 November 2011, 11:39 am

Heineken Cup: McLaughlin names unchanged team

Brian McLaughlin has named an unchanged team for Ulster's opening Heineken Cup Pool 4 match against ASM Clermont Auvergne on Saturday.
Captain Johann Muller and Ireland players Tom Court and Stephen Ferris have all shaken off injuries picked up during last week's 22-3 win over Connacht.
There are two changes among the replacements with only Declan Fitzpatrick returning from injury in place of Adam Macklin and Willie Faloon coming in for Robbie Diack.

New signing John Afoa will make his European debut, just a week after making his first appearance for Ulster. The World Cup winning prop is surrounded by experience up front, with all eight forwards players having been capped at international level.

With Ruan Pienaar injured, Paul Marshall will again be handed the scrumhalf jersey and is partnered at half back by Ian Humphreys. Paddy Wallace and Darren Cave form the centre combination, while Simon Danielli will continue in the relatively unfamiliar fullback role.

Clermont have made good progress in the Top 14 despite having 12 players on World Cup duty in New Zealand. They currently trail Toulouse by just one point after 10 rounds, highlighting the difficulty of the task laying ahead for Ulster.

Brian McLaughlin is delighted to have Muller, Court and Ferris available, allowing him to select the same starting XV for the second consecutive week: "To have the three guys available is a brilliant boost for us, you need your key players on the pitch. We have some people in the squad who are understandably disappointed at missing out, but it shows the quality we have assembled. Continuity is very important and it gives us momentum going into what is a massive game for us."

He continued: "Clermont are an exceptional side, they've proved that with their results in the Top 14. We are going to focus on us, cut out the errors and try to be a bit more clinical when opportunities arise."

Ulster know that to do well in Europe, it is almost a pre-requisite to win your home games. Hooker Rory Best added: "I think people underestimate how much the crowd can lift the players during matches. They really are like a 16th man for us."

Ulster Match Day Squad to face ASM Clermont Auvergne, Saturday 12th November, Ravenhill, kick-off 3.40pm
(15-9): S Danielli; A Trimble, D Cave, P Wallace, C Gilroy; I Humphreys, P Marshall;
(1-8): T Court, R Best, J Afoa, J Muller (capt), D Tuohy, S Ferris, C Henry, P Wannenburg;
Replacements (16-23): A Kyriacou, P McAllister, D Fitzpatrick, L Stevenson, W Faloon, I Porter, N Spence, A D'Arcy

Last edited by Rava on Fri 11 Nov 2011, 1:19 pm; edited 3 times in total
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Heinekin Cup - Pool 4. Ulster v  ASM Clermont Auvergne, Ravenhill Saturday 12th Nov KO 15.40PM (Live on Sky Sports) - Page 3 Empty Re: Heinekin Cup - Pool 4. Ulster v ASM Clermont Auvergne, Ravenhill Saturday 12th Nov KO 15.40PM (Live on Sky Sports)

Post by Backrower678 Sat 12 Nov 2011, 10:23 pm

Val Henry was epic today very very very good but we need that level of performance every week not just in the big games

Backrower678

Back to top Go down

Heinekin Cup - Pool 4. Ulster v  ASM Clermont Auvergne, Ravenhill Saturday 12th Nov KO 15.40PM (Live on Sky Sports) - Page 3 Empty Re: Heinekin Cup - Pool 4. Ulster v ASM Clermont Auvergne, Ravenhill Saturday 12th Nov KO 15.40PM (Live on Sky Sports)

Post by Glas a du Sat 12 Nov 2011, 10:24 pm

Better the big games than not at all.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Sat 12 Nov 2011, 10:26 pm

Standulstermen wrote:I think it is slightly disingenuous to say clermont capitulated. I thought they were undone by a brilliant bit of play. Other than that they were ok albeit Ulster pummeled them for much of the 2nd half. they took it well though

Yeah they just looked clueless in attack, the french commentators were going mental at the stupidity of the Clermont play, and Brock didn't really help. They were very complimentary of the Ulster team, especially ferris, they kept saying it would be great if a top14 team gave him a contract.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sat 12 Nov 2011, 10:27 pm

Unless Ulster win something i think we will lose ferris after next season

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Sat 12 Nov 2011, 10:31 pm

Standulstermen wrote:Unless Ulster win something i think we will lose ferris after next season

If we do lose him, I would hope its not to France, he needs his gametime managed. I doubt he will leave tbh.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 12 Nov 2011, 10:31 pm

I don't think so, I think he'll want to stay. He knows he might not have the luxury of going away and coming back. He's walking an injury tightrope and he'll want to finish his career here.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sat 12 Nov 2011, 10:32 pm

He may want to stay but i think he will want trophies. I hope to be wrong and i hope the IRFU will break the bank to keep him but who knows.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sat 12 Nov 2011, 10:48 pm

Don't even think for a second ASM capitulated an iota. They meant business. Like Toulouse in the HC - they always do. It separates them from the other French sides in the HC.

This is what makes Ulsters win possibly the best one they have had for years. Ye showed immense character, self-belief and total and utter commitment to the cause. Not to mention beating 7 bells of shoite out of them in the process. Best, 1F, and Henry, really went to the well and turned the game. They were fantastic today. It was gripping stuff.

ASM have learned that away LBP's are so vital though. They learned that the hard way.

Great crowd. Mixed with them 3 times when Leinster played them home, away last year and in the QF's the year before. Just so sporting. Real rugby people. Like their pints and having the craic.
The team, the club, the ground and their supporters are magnificent.

As is their Twin-town. Get down there if you can. Ye will have a ball. Stunning scenery too. OK

Well done Ulster. A proud day. clap
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by FitzStephen Sun 13 Nov 2011, 10:01 am

Any news on Ferris' knee?

FitzStephen

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sun 13 Nov 2011, 10:32 am

OK Gibson.

Brilliant atmosphere at Ravenhill in part due to great away crowd.

I thought that was a fantastic effort by Ulster to overturn an 8 point lead against a very good Clermont side.

The pack were awesome against a huge Clermont pack with some great carrying by Ferris, Tuohy and Henry . Some of our back play was pretty poor though, with Danielli and Wallace in particular crabbing across field to the touchlines too much.

Humphreys despite scoring all our points made some howlers and continues his worring form. Our midfield defence was exposed on a couple of occaision.

D'arcy saved our bacon with a brilliant break and perfect pass to humph for a wonderful try and its time to give him the 15 jersey back as Danielli is not a fullback. I'd like to see Spence come back in to shore up that midfield and give us a bit more strike threat and direct running.

A very strange descision to take off both props a with 5 minutes to go and the match on a knife edge. It nearly cost us when our scrum got mangled and conceded a penalty deep in our half. Thankfully we managed to hold on for a great win.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun 13 Nov 2011, 11:04 am

Who would you bring Spence in for? Cave or Wallace? Apparently Cave missed a few tackles against Rougerie..

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 13 Nov 2011, 11:07 am

It was a good decision rodders. Our scrum was on the ropes before they came off because Clermont had replaced their entire front row and their fresh forwards were putting the squeeze on our tired props. Once that strats happening they start missing tackles, and struggling in the loose... brave decision and 100% correct. Even if the scrum didn't turn our way we had two fresh defenders/ball carriers on the pitch.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sun 13 Nov 2011, 11:13 am

Fair enough Notch, I just thought it was a massive risk with a few minutes to go. Our back up props are a big drop of from our starting props.

Rory I'd have Spence in for Wallace. Wallace and Danielli were both very poor. They crabbed the play side ways and we wasted a lot of good attacking opportunities in the 1st half. Our midfield slipped off a few tackles, not sure I'd single Cave out.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun 13 Nov 2011, 11:30 am

I still don't think Spence is a good option at 12.. however I do want him to feature at 13 again. To me Ulster currently have the 2 best candidates for the Irish 13 shirt when BOD goes. Both good and bad, as one of them is going to miss out.

Did Spence get any gametime yesterday?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Sun 13 Nov 2011, 11:34 am

roddersm wrote:
A very strange descision to take off both props a with 5 minutes to go and the match on a knife edge. It nearly cost us when our scrum got mangled and conceded a penalty deep in our half. Thankfully we managed to hold on for a great win.

Prior to the substitutions we had just conceded two pens at the scrum. A very bold brave decision from the coach and proof, if it was needed, that he has faith in the entire squad of players.

Oh, and didn't D'Arcy do Flip well Very Happy
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sun 13 Nov 2011, 11:47 am

OK Fair enough Rava, I stand corrected. Don't recall the two previous penalties.

D'arcy is pure class with the ball in hand. He runs great lines and gives us a new dimension in attack.

Rory no I don't think Spence came on.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by FitzStephen Sun 13 Nov 2011, 12:22 pm

Spence didn't get off the bench. Wallace and Trimble were at fault for the first try when they didn't bring down Byrne, but I actually thought Wallace was excellent yesterday - from the stands anyway. Though he did miss a couple on Rougerie, Cave was great again in defence. I suspect, injuries and weddings aside, we will go the same again against Leicester. I am a big fan of Faloon but Henry did everything we need from a 7 and Wannenburg will be needed to combat Croft in the lineout. Danielli v D'Arcy? Can Fitzpatrick rumble with the big boys in the scrum?

FitzStephen

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Sun 13 Nov 2011, 1:21 pm

FitzStephen wrote:Spence didn't get off the bench. Wallace and Trimble were at fault for the first try when they didn't bring down Byrne, but I actually thought Wallace was excellent yesterday - from the stands anyway. Though he did miss a couple on Rougerie, Cave was great again in defence. I suspect, injuries and weddings aside, we will go the same again against Leicester. I am a big fan of Faloon but Henry did everything we need from a 7 and Wannenburg will be needed to combat Croft in the lineout. Danielli v D'Arcy? Can Fitzpatrick rumble with the big boys in the scrum?

I agree with you on wallace thought he was class yesterday, made one mistake in defence but was faultless besides that, cave was decent as well. Would it be worth a shot throwing Gilroy to fullback and bringing spence in on the wing?

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Sun 13 Nov 2011, 2:29 pm

Ferris will be the big worry. I hope he is wrapped in cotton wool and wheeled onto the plane on Friday. Declan Fitz against Castro? Can't wait Very Happy

Love what D'Arcy did when he came on and won't have a problem if he plays but I personally would stick with Danielli if hes fit.

Wallace and Cave are a good partnership.

Same again, and I think we can get a positive result. Just feel this group will be decided when we go to France in January.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sun 13 Nov 2011, 2:54 pm

For us the next game is the key. If we can scrape a win at Welford Road we could realistically be qualified by the time we play either of the two big teams again. Of course it is a massive ask to do so but the players must sense the opportunity. I dont think Aironi are going to be the pushover they were last season mind you but we need to target 10 points from the double header. leicester have missed a trick not getting the BP yesterday.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sun 13 Nov 2011, 8:33 pm

The next game is massive. We have to get at least a losing bonus point. If we come away with nothing I think our qualification hopes are over.

I'm surprised people think Wallace played well and Danielli was shocking I thought.

Surely D'arcy deserves to start at 15?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sun 13 Nov 2011, 8:36 pm

Definitely Darcy at 15? Why was Danielli there in first place?
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sun 13 Nov 2011, 8:42 pm

OK Stand watched the munster game in the taphouse. Nice spot guinness . Might come down to watch the tigers game next week in there.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 13 Nov 2011, 8:52 pm

Just reviewing the game again;

We were very lucky not to be much further behind at half time, we made error after error. And then , in the second half, I felt we let them off the hook a lot! Funny game.

Wallace and Cave have pretty much put it beyond all doubt that they are our best centres. The pack was magnificent and Chris Henry needs another game like that- what a pain in the hole he is when he feels like it!

Some of the hits that went in were massive- Henry, Ferris, Best, Tuohy all made them hurt with a few big carries as well.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sun 13 Nov 2011, 8:56 pm

So (when everyone fit)

09 Ruan Pienaar
10 Ian Humphreys
11 Craig Gilroy
12 Paddy Wallace
13 Darren Cave
14 Andrew Trimble
15 Jared Payne

21 Paul Marshal
22 Paddy Jackson
23 Nevin Spence
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sun 13 Nov 2011, 9:04 pm

Notch wrote:Just reviewing the game again;

We were very lucky not to be much further behind at half time, we made error after error. And then , in the second half, I felt we let them off the hook a lot! Funny game.

Yeah absolutely Notch thats what it felt like at the time. We were luck Clermont missed so many place kicks. But we were good for the win no doubt. That second have performance was immense.

Henry has been a revelation this season. The guy gives 100% everytime he pulls on an Ulster shirt. Was that Pedries best performance this season too?

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 13 Nov 2011, 9:06 pm

Well, you'd have to swap Terblanche for Payne Stag. Poor Jared Payne won't be seeing any kind of rugby until the 2012/2013 season which is a real shame for everyone.

And Danielli would be well worth a spot on the bench (over Jackson) but yeah- picks itself.

We have a bit of a problem in that Wallace is clearly still better at 12 than Luke Marshall, Nevin Spence or Ian Whitten and is deservedly being picked. A lot of people would like to see new blood in the centres, and we have five good Irish centres, but right now Paddy Wallace is holding down his spot on merit. Hard to make a case for dropping him from the Ulster side, even with our Ireland hats on. I don't think he's got much more to offer Ireland but he's still playing well for Ulster- actually, he's a very important player for Ulster.

So the 12 shirt is a bit of a conundrum still. No-one looks like dislodging D'Arcy and Wallace. Hopefully McFadden can dislodge D'Arcy but I think it will be another year or two for Luke Marshall and Spence isn't a 12 at all.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sun 13 Nov 2011, 9:23 pm

Good man rodders. I thoroughly enjoyed the Munster game it has to be said. what and ending. I think i did Tuohy a bit of a disservice. He was better in the first half than i remembered.

I thought Cave and wallace were at fault for the try but were exemplary other than that.

I have said before and i will say again, Adam D'arcy is involved in soooooo many of our scores it is ridiculous. Danielli may be deemed a safer option but to my mind he is a wasted body in attack. D'arcy picks a line and commits to it at such pace that it is very difficult to defend. I also think his tackling isnt as bad as made out and any misses arent because of cowardice.IMO he is a typical aussie, he puts everything into each hit.

Tuohy in the 2nd half was Biarrtiz-esque. Chris Henry was as good as he has ever played. More of the same please Chris! Just watched a brilliant run from Paddy from our 22 in the 2nd half

Given that Payne is out for the season when Pienaar returns i would go

pienaar
humph
gilroy
wallace
cave
trimble
D'arcy

marshall/porter
Terblanche
Spence

I dont think Marshall should dislodge wallace but as long as he sees decent gametime in the Pro 12 thats a positive.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by FitzStephen Sun 13 Nov 2011, 9:41 pm

D'Arcy made a damn good break but I'm with valjester on this one: Gilroy to Fb and Spence to the wing. Then you've got D'Arcy to come on and save the day again Very Happy

Here's one for you - why we don't have left side/right side kickers. Humph is missing so many from the left hand side - easy ones - so why not get Paddy to curl them in with the right boot?

FitzStephen

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Sun 13 Nov 2011, 11:00 pm

I can't believe anyone would consider playing Gilroy, a rookie, at fullback in one of our most important games for years. I'll concede to D'Arcy playing but I can't see McGlock making any changes unless forced into them by injury.
Si, injuries permitting it will be Declan Fitz for Afoa and the same again all round. Terblanche to carry water maybe, if he gets here this week.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun 13 Nov 2011, 11:30 pm

Gilroy shouldn't be considered a rookie anymore tbh.. in fact he should be looking for international recognition pretty soon. He has played full back before, and can do a good job there. Though I would rather have him on the wing, and Spence coming in at centre after about 60-70 minutes. I think Spence is just as good as Cave, but with the potential to be a lot better. However it is really horses for courses in this case, they are both the best 13s we have in Ireland imo.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sun 13 Nov 2011, 11:48 pm

Gilroy is a rookie - he is 20 years old, has started 1 Heineken Cup match and is only in his 2nd professional season.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 14 Nov 2011, 12:05 am

I thought age has nothing to do with it stag? Wink

This is his second season in full flight rugby and he has made a big impact for Ulster. I would rely on him a lot more than I would D'Arcy. I guess he is as much of a rookie as the likes of North, Tuilagi etc. He will get his chance internationally soon I think.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by FitzStephen Mon 14 Nov 2011, 12:12 am

I feel that Gilroy has a bit more than D'Arcy with the ball in hand, as well as a physicality in defence that D'Arcy has yet to display. Leicester are going to be massive and I am worried enough about Humph's tackling never mind D'Arcy's capabilities too!! Gilroy is a confidant chap who has started a reasonable number of times for Ulster and at 15 he would be more involved than his rather limited impact on Saturday. He will run it back at them just as much as D'Arcy and he seems strong under the high ball. Therefore, i would like to have seen him at 15. Having said all that I expect to see Danielli start there on Saturday and Gilroy on the wing with Spence on the bench.

FitzStephen

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Mon 14 Nov 2011, 12:19 am

To be honest i think that D'arcys massive advantage is that he hasnt been coached in Ireland most of his life. The lines he picks are far better than any of our other back three players. I also dont think he is as weak defensively as is made out. He is our best full back and needs to start.

Throughout the game we were guilty of hitting runners who were running at an angle towards the touchline. It was screaming out for a straight runner and thats what D'arcy gives you along with the acceleration to actually make a clean break. I think he is more dynamic than Danielli as he hits gaps at greater speed. It really is a no brainer for me

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by FitzStephen Mon 14 Nov 2011, 12:29 am

If it is D'Arcy v Danielli, and let's face it...it really is, I would have D'Arcy too. What McL thinks will only be discovered on Friday. The real reason for moving Gilroy to FB was to bring Spence into the line up as I don't think he is going to displace Wallace/Cave. However, I quite like the idea of a Spence/Gilroy/Trimble back three.

FitzStephen

Back to top Go down

Post by Backrower678 Mon 14 Nov 2011, 1:35 am

Im with stand on this, D'arcy has to start for me at fullback he gets a lot of stick IMO and it isnt justified really! His defence is not that bad and the lines he runs are soooooo beautiful, he was such a threat last yeat in attack for us and created so many of our tries!! Re-watched the game from the weekend, by jeez our pack got through some amount of work superb letd take that intensity to Welford Road next week it will be needed

Backrower678

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 14 Nov 2011, 8:53 am

Standulstermen wrote:To be honest i think that D'arcys massive advantage is that he hasnt been coached in Ireland most of his life. The lines he picks are far better than any of our other back three players. I also dont think he is as weak defensively as is made out. He is our best full back and needs to start.

Throughout the game we were guilty of hitting runners who were running at an angle towards the touchline. It was screaming out for a straight runner and thats what D'arcy gives you along with the acceleration to actually make a clean break. I think he is more dynamic than Danielli as he hits gaps at greater speed. It really is a no brainer for me

+1.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon 14 Nov 2011, 10:08 am

Standulstermen wrote:
Throughout the game we were guilty of hitting runners who were running at an angle towards the touchline. It was screaming out for a straight runner and thats what ***** gives you along with the acceleration to actually make a clean break.

Agree with this but our wingers are equally guilty of not making these kinds of runs. We need to vary our back play at bit. It has become predictable. We do have exceptional players capable of breaking through any defence. Maybe its time we looked further afield in terms of coaching staff. Seems we are able to attract players from the top end so why not some specialist coaches.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 14 Nov 2011, 10:15 am

Not really Rava. If the fb runs the ball back towards the touchline he pushes his support players towards the touchline. Danielli did this a number of occaisions in the 1st half. Paddy Wallace was guilty of crabbing towards the touchlines too. There were at least 3 or 4 attacking moves by us at ended up in touch.

I hardly recall Trimble being used though the middle at all. Our back play was extremely lateral and thats why Spence is so important because he straightens the line and creates space. Wallace just takes a step and runs side ways which just pushes Cave towards the touchline.

Cave plays much better along side Spence than Wallace both in attack and defence.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon 14 Nov 2011, 10:19 am

roddersm wrote:Not really Rava. If the fb runs the ball back towards the touchline he pushes his support players towards the touchline. Danielli did this a number of occaisions in the 1st half. Paddy Wallace was guilty of crabbing towards the touchlines too. There were at least 3 or 4 attacking moves by us at ended up in touch.

I hardly recall Trimble being used though the middle at all. Our back play was extremely lateral and thats why Spence is so important because he straightens the line and creates space. Wallace just takes a step and runs side ways which just pushes Cave towards the touchline.

Cave plays much better along side Spence than Wallace both in attack and defence.

Please read what I said!
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Mon 14 Nov 2011, 10:19 am

I wouldnt disagree Rava. Trimble did hit lines on occasion but it was more a case of running back into traffic and bludgeoning a hole. Gilroy was making his first HEC start so i can forgive him for being cautious about leaving his wing.

Danielli for me doesnt have the gas to hit a gap and make the break and doesnt have the dynamism to punch holes. I do believe though that coaching is a massive issue with our backs. We need a new perspective (preferrably an SH one) on lines to hit. You can see the difference in what the SH expect from a 15 in attack. It is something we are lacking up here

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 14 Nov 2011, 10:22 am

Sorry Rava! Brain not working this morning. Doh
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 14 Nov 2011, 10:27 am

In terms of running lines Leinster are just miles ahead of the rest of us in Ireland. The just run wave after wave of big men hitting back towards the inside shoulder at pace. Then offloading or recycling quickly.

The rest of us our obsessed with width and floating the ball along the backline.

Our best attacking positions yesterday came when Ferris, Tuohy or Henry did good carries but rather than building phases and going again we were too quick to spin the ball wide.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Mon 14 Nov 2011, 10:39 am

roddersm wrote:In terms of running lines Leinster are just miles ahead of the rest of us in Ireland. The just run wave after wave of big men hitting back towards the inside shoulder at pace. Then offloading or recycling quickly.

The rest of us our obsessed with width and floating the ball along the backline.

Our best attacking positions yesterday came when Ferris, Tuohy or Henry did good carries but rather than building phases and going again we were too quick to spin the ball wide.

And their coach is from......?

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon 14 Nov 2011, 11:16 am

[quote="Standulstermen"]
roddersm wrote:In terms of running lines Leinster are just miles ahead of the rest of us in Ireland. The just run wave after wave of big men hitting back towards the inside shoulder at pace. Then offloading or recycling quickly.

And their coach is from......?[/quote]

My point exactly. We should be using Ferris and Henry more at 1st/2nd receiver.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 14 Nov 2011, 11:24 am

Just simple stuff rava, use Court, Ferris, Pedrie, Tuouhy, Henry etc to hit the line and drive over the gainline. Touhy was taking out 2-3 defenders every carry. Recycle quickly and go again. If the space appears then move the ball wide otherwise go again. If it goes static and slow then just put the kick into the corner. Thats what the AB's do and it works. Build phases and create mismatches then move the ball.

Theres no need to go wide on 2nd phase when you have really effective ball carriers.

Henry was magnificant on saturday. He'll be knocking on the international door again if he keeps playing like that.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon 14 Nov 2011, 12:21 pm

Rodders I was just saying to Red Stag last night on FB that I think Henry might be pushing for the Jennings spot in the squad. I did forget about Ryan though.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Mon 14 Nov 2011, 12:27 pm

So overall how what does this do for Ulster?It's always a good result to beat Clermont but they still got the BP.How do Ulster fans feel about the group now?

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 14 Nov 2011, 12:37 pm

I think Henry will have to show his form for a bit longer before being called up for Ireland. I didn't get to see him in the HEC match though, was he really that good?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next