The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heinekin Cup - Pool 4. Ulster v ASM Clermont Auvergne, Ravenhill Saturday 12th Nov KO 15.40PM (Live on Sky Sports)

+27
MrsP
Notch
Backrower678
George Carlin
Rory_Gallagher
Artful_Dodger
Pot Hale
Gibson
wales606
radelven
Thomond
dublin_dave
asoreleftshoulder
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Dave.
Don Alfonso
funnyExiledScot
Glas a du
WillyGilly
clivemcl
Standulstermen
theshanker
red_stag
Kingshu
1F'sgonnagetya!
rodders
Rava
31 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Who will win Group 4

Heinekin Cup - Pool 4. Ulster v  ASM Clermont Auvergne, Ravenhill Saturday 12th Nov KO 15.40PM (Live on Sky Sports) - Page 4 Vote_lcap0%Heinekin Cup - Pool 4. Ulster v  ASM Clermont Auvergne, Ravenhill Saturday 12th Nov KO 15.40PM (Live on Sky Sports) - Page 4 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Heinekin Cup - Pool 4. Ulster v  ASM Clermont Auvergne, Ravenhill Saturday 12th Nov KO 15.40PM (Live on Sky Sports) - Page 4 Vote_lcap54%Heinekin Cup - Pool 4. Ulster v  ASM Clermont Auvergne, Ravenhill Saturday 12th Nov KO 15.40PM (Live on Sky Sports) - Page 4 Vote_rcap 54% 
[ 22 ]
Heinekin Cup - Pool 4. Ulster v  ASM Clermont Auvergne, Ravenhill Saturday 12th Nov KO 15.40PM (Live on Sky Sports) - Page 4 Vote_lcap24%Heinekin Cup - Pool 4. Ulster v  ASM Clermont Auvergne, Ravenhill Saturday 12th Nov KO 15.40PM (Live on Sky Sports) - Page 4 Vote_rcap 24% 
[ 10 ]
Heinekin Cup - Pool 4. Ulster v  ASM Clermont Auvergne, Ravenhill Saturday 12th Nov KO 15.40PM (Live on Sky Sports) - Page 4 Vote_lcap22%Heinekin Cup - Pool 4. Ulster v  ASM Clermont Auvergne, Ravenhill Saturday 12th Nov KO 15.40PM (Live on Sky Sports) - Page 4 Vote_rcap 22% 
[ 9 ]

Total Votes : 41

Heinekin Cup - Pool 4. Ulster v  ASM Clermont Auvergne, Ravenhill Saturday 12th Nov KO 15.40PM (Live on Sky Sports) - Page 4 Empty Heinekin Cup - Pool 4. Ulster v ASM Clermont Auvergne, Ravenhill Saturday 12th Nov KO 15.40PM (Live on Sky Sports)

Post by Rava Wed 9 Nov - 12:24

First topic message reminder :

Middle of the week and the excitement is growing. They don't come much bigger in Europe than ASM do they? Probably one of the toughest teams to beat either home or away. They have started the season with a bang - currently they are second in the Super 14 - and come to Ravenhill on the back of some of the best form in club rugby.

Ulster will have benefited from the win last week against Connacht and the "fragile" confidence will have been repaired to some extent. The performance, while not exceptional, showed the returning WC players weren't suffering any hangovers with outstanding shifts from talismen Wallace, Ferris, Best and Muller.

Can Ulster keep the season alive with a win? Would a home defeat in Round 1 be disastrous. Who's going to the game? Can Rory Gallagher accept Faloon not playing? Where is Geoff?

The floor is open guys and I will keep this article updated with team news as it comes out.

11 November 2011, 11:39 am

Heineken Cup: McLaughlin names unchanged team

Brian McLaughlin has named an unchanged team for Ulster's opening Heineken Cup Pool 4 match against ASM Clermont Auvergne on Saturday.
Captain Johann Muller and Ireland players Tom Court and Stephen Ferris have all shaken off injuries picked up during last week's 22-3 win over Connacht.
There are two changes among the replacements with only Declan Fitzpatrick returning from injury in place of Adam Macklin and Willie Faloon coming in for Robbie Diack.

New signing John Afoa will make his European debut, just a week after making his first appearance for Ulster. The World Cup winning prop is surrounded by experience up front, with all eight forwards players having been capped at international level.

With Ruan Pienaar injured, Paul Marshall will again be handed the scrumhalf jersey and is partnered at half back by Ian Humphreys. Paddy Wallace and Darren Cave form the centre combination, while Simon Danielli will continue in the relatively unfamiliar fullback role.

Clermont have made good progress in the Top 14 despite having 12 players on World Cup duty in New Zealand. They currently trail Toulouse by just one point after 10 rounds, highlighting the difficulty of the task laying ahead for Ulster.

Brian McLaughlin is delighted to have Muller, Court and Ferris available, allowing him to select the same starting XV for the second consecutive week: "To have the three guys available is a brilliant boost for us, you need your key players on the pitch. We have some people in the squad who are understandably disappointed at missing out, but it shows the quality we have assembled. Continuity is very important and it gives us momentum going into what is a massive game for us."

He continued: "Clermont are an exceptional side, they've proved that with their results in the Top 14. We are going to focus on us, cut out the errors and try to be a bit more clinical when opportunities arise."

Ulster know that to do well in Europe, it is almost a pre-requisite to win your home games. Hooker Rory Best added: "I think people underestimate how much the crowd can lift the players during matches. They really are like a 16th man for us."

Ulster Match Day Squad to face ASM Clermont Auvergne, Saturday 12th November, Ravenhill, kick-off 3.40pm
(15-9): S Danielli; A Trimble, D Cave, P Wallace, C Gilroy; I Humphreys, P Marshall;
(1-8): T Court, R Best, J Afoa, J Muller (capt), D Tuohy, S Ferris, C Henry, P Wannenburg;
Replacements (16-23): A Kyriacou, P McAllister, D Fitzpatrick, L Stevenson, W Faloon, I Porter, N Spence, A D'Arcy

Last edited by Rava on Fri 11 Nov - 13:19; edited 3 times in total
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Heinekin Cup - Pool 4. Ulster v  ASM Clermont Auvergne, Ravenhill Saturday 12th Nov KO 15.40PM (Live on Sky Sports) - Page 4 Empty Re: Heinekin Cup - Pool 4. Ulster v ASM Clermont Auvergne, Ravenhill Saturday 12th Nov KO 15.40PM (Live on Sky Sports)

Post by rodders Mon 14 Nov - 12:42

asoreleftshoulder wrote:So overall how what does this do for Ulster?It's always a good result to beat Clermont but they still got the BP.How do Ulster fans feel about the group now?

Well the win keeps us in the group. Allowing Clermont the bonus point is not ideal but I'd have taken any sort of win before the game and to come back from 8 points down against a team of that quality was exceptional I thought.

I'm still not confident about getting out of the group but if we can get at least a point next week and then get maximum points against Aironi then I'd be pretty happy with that. A win against the tigers next week would be awesome though.

Rava last weekend was a very good one for Irish rugby I think. It showed we have some excellent forwards around. POM and Donnacha Ryan were excellent for Munster. Didn't see the Leinster game but it's great to see players putting their hands up like Touhy, POM and Henry.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Heinekin Cup - Pool 4. Ulster v  ASM Clermont Auvergne, Ravenhill Saturday 12th Nov KO 15.40PM (Live on Sky Sports) - Page 4 Empty Re: Heinekin Cup - Pool 4. Ulster v ASM Clermont Auvergne, Ravenhill Saturday 12th Nov KO 15.40PM (Live on Sky Sports)

Post by Artful_Dodger Mon 14 Nov - 12:44

asoreleftshoulder wrote:So overall how what does this do for Ulster?It's always a good result to beat Clermont but they still got the BP.How do Ulster fans feel about the group now?

I think we have to be aiming to finish on 20 points minimum.

10 points from the Aironi games which is definitely not a given. 5 points from Leicester and Clermont respectively ie; beat them both at home (half done) and get at least a point away.

Very very tough, but I think we are well in this having beaten Clermont at home.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by HURLEY_BURLEY Mon 14 Nov - 12:55

Ulster as always look formidable at home. Have to say (after Leinster of course!) that Ulster are the province that I most enjoy watching. I love the style of rugby they play.
And watching Ferris in action is always fun.
The key to your season IMO will be the match next weekend away to Leicester.
If you can push on and get a win there, then you are in a fantastic position in the group.
You have the players and Leicester are only now getting their season going so it is an opportunity no doubt - albeit a tough one.
Best of luck in that - I for one will be rooting for you.

HURLEY_BURLEY

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon 14 Nov - 15:21

Chris Henry has been as good as any back row player in Ireland this season. He is very obviously behind a few others in terms of International selection and it will be difficult to force a way in there. I do think it will be difficult to ignore him though if he maintains his excellent start to the season. I'm talking squad selection here, with maybe a chance of getting a trip to NZ in the summer.
Rory I don't think the International squad is picked until January so I wouldn't write his chances of a squad place off too easily.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Mon 14 Nov - 15:30

I disagree Rava. I think he has been poor enough although in fairness behind a very weak front five (particularly front row) in the past. I would conceed he has been ulsters best backrower during the rwc but that is damning with feint praise. last week we saw him get angry and get involved which was great and at the weekend he was like a man possessed.

If he can do that then we could be looking at Ferris, SOB, Heaslip, O'Mahoney, Henry, Jennings in a squad. not sure about leamy seeing as he isnt starting for munster but O'mahoney looks the part at present.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon 14 Nov - 15:36

You forgot Leinsters Ryan, Stand.
You disagree with me quite a bit don't you. Wink
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Mon 14 Nov - 16:37

can Henry be converted into an out and out number 7, this is whats needed for Ireland, and to a slightly lesser extent Ulster?

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 14 Nov - 16:38

Isn't he the Wallace type 7 who might complement Ferris and O'Brien?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Mon 14 Nov - 16:50

That would involve dropping Heaslip Glas. Not something I can see happening. When everyone's fit the Irish back row is fez, sob and Jamie. No question.

Henry is going to suffer as he's jack of all trades, master of none.
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 14 Nov - 16:53

Heaslip needs a drop to sharpen him up. He's getting caps now on past glories.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon 14 Nov - 17:21

Glas a du wrote:Heaslip needs a drop to sharpen him up. He's getting caps now on past glories.

He isn't on his own there though Glas in all fairness Whistle
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 14 Nov - 17:28

Oh Mr D'Arcy, your all wet!
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Mon 14 Nov - 17:37

WillyGilly wrote:That would involve dropping Heaslip Glas. Not something I can see happening. When everyone's fit the Irish back row is fez, sob and Jamie. No question.

Henry is going to suffer as he's jack of all trades, master of none.

Henry has the ability to be an outstanding hec player but is just missing that extra bit of quality to push on to be an very good international player.

Heaslip is still the best Irish 8 available by a good bit despite his drop in form. Apparently Wally is looking to be back playing by Christmas which is ridiculous but I suppose he is a robot so you wouldn't put it past him being back in top form by the six nations.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Mon 14 Nov - 17:44

Ah Rava its just degrees of disagreement. If Henry turns up like that for a few weeks running then by God i'll wear a sandwich board of the guy. Heaslip and Bowe are two players who have been undroppable but must be looked at with a raised eyebrow now.

im not touting Henry or POM to replace him just yet and i feel jamie just needs a rest but we have to be ruthless in selection.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 14 Nov - 20:01

Not that long ago Henry was too small/not strong enough for ULSTER nevermind Ireland. Bit early on the international call up guys. And to me, SOB should be the one being developed as a 7 seeing as he is actually the one who will be playing there. Heaslip will be the one in trouble of losing his shirt, maybe Henry could challenge there (POM is challenging also).

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon 14 Nov - 20:16

Its hardly early for an international call up when he has already played on the Australia 2010 tour. He has played a good few games for the Wolfhounds including as captain in this years game against the England Saxons. As I said earlier he might force his way into the squad, maybe ahead of Jennings. In no way did I mean he would displace SOB, Ferris or Heaslip.
I'm not sure how many will make the trip to New Zealand but my money would be on him for a place in the squad at this stage. Thats all.

By the way I will open a new article some time tomorrow for the Leicester game, unless someone else wants to do it this week. thumbsup SUFTUM
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 14 Nov - 20:22

The tour where all our back rowers were injured? He has never ever been considered to be a potential international standard player. Why would he replace Jennings who has been playing very well for Leinster?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon 14 Nov - 20:39

I have an opinion Rory, I think that's a cheap shot as well. He has been in previous squads so therefore he must have been considered to be a potential international standard player. Why shouldn't he replace Jennings? He has been performing very well for Ulster. Or maybe you feel that we shouldn't change things around?
Guys who have the shirts should just keep the shirts ad infinitum?

On your point of developing SOB as a seven, I don't think it will be very long until he has the six shirt. Not sure 1F will last out much longer I'm afraid Sad
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Mon 14 Nov - 20:40

Because Jennings has proven repeatedly that he can't influence a game at international level?

I think we might be getting a bit carried away about Henry. I don't think he'll make it as an international in any meaningful way. But, on the basis of his last few performances, he is dangerously close to being a "proper" seven. His groundwork has been superb, and his link and support work has improved immeasurably. Look at last week - when the ball was intercepted and hoofed down the pitch, who sprinted back and recovered it? When Paddy Wallace made a break from his own 22, who was on his shoulder? Who was the first over the whitewash after iHumph scored? Who won us the last turnover so the ball could be kicked out (amongst several others he was responsible for)? And that heads-down run into the blue against Connacht, and the offload to Wallace...

If this is how Henry is going to perform from now on, he has already achieved an impressive transformation into an archetypal seven, and a damn good one, one for whom further international honours should surface. However, very simply, this may just be a wee purple patch for him.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Mon 14 Nov - 20:44

Rava - I agree Henry has been Ulster's best backrow this year, and IMO he's a very similar player to Jennings in that he's neither an openside nor a blindside - a 6.5. However I also think he's similar to Jennings in that he isn't Test class (not yet anyway).
I'd take him ahead of Jennings in the same way I'd take him ahead of Roger Wilson at 8 because he is just as good but more versatile, however Test starters are seldom chosen because of their versatility - handy squad player to have though.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 14 Nov - 20:50

Rava wrote:
On your point of developing SOB as a seven, I don't think it will be very long until he has the six shirt. Not sure 1F will last out much longer I'm afraid Sad

No Rava!!! Shocked Sad

On Henry. There are 4 backrowers in Ireland who are head and shoulders above the rest: Ferris, SOB, Wallace and Heaslip. All proven world class players. Beyond that there's Jennings and Leamy and perhaps Donnacha Ryan. I would see Henry and POM leading the next bracket, ahead of Dom Ryan, Ruddock and co, pushing Jennings and Leamy and perhaps even Heaslip if his form doesn't improve.

Henry's in great form and its only if he gets a run for Ireland that you could judge if he's international class or not but he's a nailed on starter in a competitive Ulster back row right now.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 14 Nov - 20:53

Rava wrote:I have an opinion Rory, I think that's a cheap shot as well. He has been in previous squads so therefore he must have been considered to be a potential international standard player. Why shouldn't he replace Jennings? He has been performing very well for Ulster. Or maybe you feel that we shouldn't change things around?
Guys who have the shirts should just keep the shirts ad infinitum?

I was genuinely wondering if that was the tour all the backrowers were injured, apologies Rava! I think that is what you are referring to as the cheap shot? 2010 I didn't watch rugby that whole year. I don't think either Jennings or Henry are international standard. Both are stellar club players though.

No I think SOB is a fantastic flanker, whether at 6 or 7. It just depends who is paired with him for balance. And no don't say that Sad

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue 15 Nov - 17:04

roddersm wrote: OK Stand watched the munster game in the taphouse. Nice spot guinness . Might come down to watch the tigers game next week in there.

Rodders it will definitely be on as will all the games that day. Meant to say to you if you are heading down for any of the munster/leicester games let me know as well. The bus trip is decent value (if you dont have to drive home that is devil )

Stag/DOD/Sin etc

let me know if you are heading up on 30th december for the game too. I am in contact with the MRSC anyway but we should be putting on some entertainment or food or discount or something on that night after the game.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 15 Nov - 21:26

OK Stand am definitely going to try and get to those games so will keep it in mind.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed 16 Nov - 22:30

Jenno for Captain of Ireland. Kidney to do an MJ and respectfully leave.

That would be a great start to the 6-N.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4