The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If A 606v2 Golf Weekend Was Arranged Would You Attend?

+19
SmithersJones
Shotrock
ScottieD18
JohnnyH
Doon the Water
navyblueshorts
dynamark
mystiroakey
drive4show
No1yankee
MustPuttBetter
Diggers
JPX
Davie
Mercurio
super_realist
Maverick
1GrumpyGolfer
Doc
23 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Fancy It

If A 606v2 Golf Weekend Was Arranged Would You Attend? Vote_lcap67%If A 606v2 Golf Weekend Was Arranged Would You Attend? Vote_rcap 67% 
[ 18 ]
If A 606v2 Golf Weekend Was Arranged Would You Attend? Vote_lcap33%If A 606v2 Golf Weekend Was Arranged Would You Attend? Vote_rcap 33% 
[ 9 ]

Total Votes : 27

Poll closed

If A 606v2 Golf Weekend Was Arranged Would You Attend? Empty If A 606v2 Golf Weekend Was Arranged Would You Attend?

Post by Doc Wed 09 Nov 2011, 3:44 pm

It's been talked about and it's been tried in the past, but with no luck. Plenty have actually arranged some local meets and had a good time. Given enough time, I think a great long weekend can be arranged for the spring, and some good deals can be had for accomodation and golf. 3-rounds of golf and 2-nights hotel could be a winning combination. Obviously location will be key, so should be somewhere central, but I'm willing to travel anywhere for a bit of craic when golf's involved.

Would be interesting to see how many would be up for this

Doc

Back to top Go down

If A 606v2 Golf Weekend Was Arranged Would You Attend? Empty Re: If A 606v2 Golf Weekend Was Arranged Would You Attend?

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Wed 09 Nov 2011, 3:47 pm

Central location? What's the golf like in Iceland or Greenland?

PS, perhaps you should add Maybe to the poll

Last edited by 1GrumpyGolfer on Wed 09 Nov 2011, 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

If A 606v2 Golf Weekend Was Arranged Would You Attend? Empty Re: If A 606v2 Golf Weekend Was Arranged Would You Attend?

Post by Maverick Wed 09 Nov 2011, 3:48 pm

Provided, I get dates in advance so can work it around business and the hordes of kiddies birthdays, count me in

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 09 Nov 2011, 3:54 pm

Would be up for it so long as it wasn't clashing with big club comps, which in Spring I doubt it would be.
Also, as long as I'm not expected to provide Mac with transport. Only one man would emerge alive from that.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 09 Nov 2011, 3:55 pm

super_realist wrote:Would be up for it so long as it wasn't clashing with big club comps, which in Spring I doubt it would be.
Also, as long as I'm not expected to provide Mac with transport. Only one man would emerge alive from that.

there would only be one man in the car anyway if you did provide transport. Wizards don't qualify as men do they... Whistle

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Wed 09 Nov 2011, 3:57 pm

I'm a 'Yes' subject to the quality of the local hookers and drugs.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Wed 09 Nov 2011, 4:00 pm

Surely he could take a broomstick or fireplace?

Thinking about a central location if Venice is included then that puts us on USA East coast so I'm sure Kwini and I would be up for it.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 09 Nov 2011, 4:06 pm

Hawkstone Park is a great central location (though a bitch to get to from the south east, having to go all the way around Birmingham)

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 09 Nov 2011, 4:07 pm

Good point a fireplace would be quicker than car anyway.

Merc, good point they need to be of high quality or at least cheap.... Whistle

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Wed 09 Nov 2011, 4:11 pm

Mercurio wrote:I'm a 'Yes' subject to the quality of the local hookers and drugs.

Yeah if the evening entertainment consists of copious amounts of alcahol and a trip to a t*ty bar then I'm in.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 09 Nov 2011, 4:14 pm

Count me on for sure.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 09 Nov 2011, 4:15 pm

I have the first MPB Jnr due in early May so as long as its a good few weeks either before or after (preferrably before) i would be up for it
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 09 Nov 2011, 4:15 pm

I've participated in this sort of thing before on the (now almost defunct) usenet newsgroup uk.sport.golf

In late '99 there were both northern and southern meetups and in the spring of 2000 there was the first north v south challenge held at Hill Valley in Shropshire. The event continued for 10 years with this year being the first year it didn't happen (due to lack of numbers)

I didn't miss any of them, being captain of the North in 2008 (I think) - though I live down south I'm a Northerner at heart and the first year there was an imbalance of numbers so I was asked to play for the region of my birth - and stuck with them after that.

Over the 10 years we played Hill Valley, Abbey Hotel (top of the M40), Hawkstone Park, Patshull Park (also Shropshire I think or maybe south Cheshire), Forest of Arden and a place whose name escapes me at the moment but somewhere in Leicestershire - we talked about it on here a few weeks ago.

The first few years we were getting 28-32 people - by the end we were struggling to get 12. There was one memorable year when some American readers of UK.S.G were coming over to Scotland for a golfing holiday and after one of the Hawkstone Park bashes, several of our group drove on up to St Andrews to meet up and take them on in a transatlantic match! (Shame I couldn't make that)

These things really can work!

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by No1yankee Wed 09 Nov 2011, 4:16 pm

Yes but it depends where and when.What about celtic manor.

No1yankee

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed 09 Nov 2011, 4:17 pm

Lets see how many fancy it and maybe get some suggestions for locations to suit.

http://www.theabbeyhotel.co.uk/info/golf.asp

http://www.whitefieldsgolfclub.co.uk/

http://www.thebelfry.co.uk/

http://www.marriott.co.uk/hotels/hotel-information/golf-courses/cvtgs-forest-of-arden-a-marriott-hotel-and-country-club/

http://www.morleyhayes.com/golf.aspx

http://www.qhotels.co.uk/hotels/telford-hotel-and-golf-resort/golf.aspx

http://www.yourgolftravel.com/ullesthorpe-court-hotel.html

http://www.yourgolftravel.com/stapleford-park.html

http://www.yourgolftravel.com/breadsall-priory.html

Plenty to go at around the midlands area, but open to suggestions

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Wed 09 Nov 2011, 4:18 pm

JPX wrote:
Mercurio wrote:I'm a 'Yes' subject to the quality of the local hookers and drugs.

Yeah if the evening entertainment consists of copious amounts of alcahol and a trip to a t*ty bar then I'm in.

I WAS joking!

Shocked

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed 09 Nov 2011, 4:19 pm

No1yankee wrote:Yes but it depends where and when.What about celtic manor.

I have no objections to CM, but others may have as it's not very central for the guys/gals from up north and Scotland

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 09 Nov 2011, 4:20 pm

I imagine part of the fun is guessing who is who on such a meet.
It's a bit like reading a book when you are on a forum, you have an idea in your head of what people look like.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Wed 09 Nov 2011, 4:20 pm

We need someone with a map of the UK and everyone to give that person their (approximate) location (overseas people are tagged as Heathrow/Gatwick Whistle )

The map is then highlighted with pins and wherever the majority exist, that's your location.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Wed 09 Nov 2011, 4:20 pm

Mercurio wrote:
JPX wrote:

I WAS joking!

Shocked
Oh.......I wasn't Whistle

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 09 Nov 2011, 4:21 pm

I think if we could get the numbers up there is no reason we couldn't do this as an annual thing or have some sort of prize up for grabs..

We could even have a little awards thing after with some one getting the STEVE of the day award for idiocy. Reckon I take it the first time for some foot in mouth action

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 09 Nov 2011, 4:21 pm

Doc - Ullesthorpe Court was the one I was trying to remember. 7 or 8 years ago when I played there but it didn't go down well with a lot of the attendees that year.

Forest of Arden was pants

Abbey Hotel was good accomodation etc and the course seemed to have plenty of potential but the twice(?) we went there it was early in the year after a very wet winter and the course was way behind schedule - also I seem to recall a pretty ropey finishing hole, but not bad apart from that

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 09 Nov 2011, 4:24 pm

super_realist wrote:I imagine part of the fun is guessing who is who on such a meet.
It's a bit like reading a book when you are on a forum, you have an idea in your head of what people look like.

That'd be the fun part wouldn't it. I'm sure we all have our preconceptions of what each other look like and if asked to describe each other likely to be a mile off

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 09 Nov 2011, 4:26 pm

Maverick wrote:
super_realist wrote:I imagine part of the fun is guessing who is who on such a meet.

That'd be the fun part wouldn't it. I'm sure we all have our preconceptions of what each other look like and if asked to describe each other likely to be a mile off

Obviously the guy dressed as a wizard with a pencil bag full of hickories will be easy to spot.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Wed 09 Nov 2011, 4:26 pm

JPX wrote:
Mercurio wrote:
JPX wrote:Yeah if the evening entertainment consists of copious amounts of alcahol and a trip to a t*ty bar then I'm in.

I WAS joking!

Shocked

You must have been married longer than me, then laughing

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Wed 09 Nov 2011, 4:28 pm

Mercurio wrote:
JPX wrote:

I WAS joking!

Shocked

No you weren't Wink

Seriously though, I would rule out Abbey Park, played it and really didn't think much of it.

I think the obvious venue would be the Belfry. It's slap bang in the middle of England so it'd accessible for those in Scotland and the north. I also belive it has a certain establishment known as the Belair nightclub which would satisfy Merc's requirements Wink

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Wed 09 Nov 2011, 4:31 pm

Mercurio wrote:
JPX wrote:
Mercurio wrote:
JPX wrote:Yeah if the evening entertainment consists of copious amounts of alcahol and a trip to a t*ty bar then I'm in.

I WAS joking!

Shocked

You must have been married longer than me, then laughing
Ha ha no in fact I've been back single for 2 weeks now Sad

Sorry, wrong smiley...... Very Happy

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 09 Nov 2011, 4:33 pm

I think the obvious venue would be the Belfry. It's slap bang in the middle of England so it'd accessible for those in Scotland and the north. I also belive it has a certain establishment known as the Belair nightclub which would satisfy Merc's requirements

I've attended that night club, many moons ago, some very forward ladies attending there randy

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 09 Nov 2011, 4:34 pm

Mercurio wrote:
JPX wrote:

I WAS joking!

Shocked

i was in - now not so sure!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Wed 09 Nov 2011, 4:36 pm

I've already had experience of pulling in the Bel Air in 2003.

'Little Miss E Cup', as she became known after the event, had Arsenal playing at home so I ended up with just a badly played tune on the pink oboe which wasn't worth sharing my hotel room single bed for.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 09 Nov 2011, 4:39 pm

What about something Manchester way? It's only a couple of hours away for you Southerners and about 3 and a half hours for us Northerners.

Afterall, the Midlands isn't really the Midlands and Scotland isn't just a stop at the end of the Northern Line

Mind you this Bel Air nightclub is beginning to sound interesting.

Last edited by super_realist on Wed 09 Nov 2011, 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Wed 09 Nov 2011, 4:40 pm

Ullesthorpe golf course is a bit basic kind of forgetable but you could pop round to my local for the evening do.
Belfry would provide the'all round weekend experience'you may be seeking

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Wed 09 Nov 2011, 4:43 pm

How about somewhere Newcastle way? I want to tick a Geordie bird off my list.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed 09 Nov 2011, 4:43 pm

Belfry sounds good to me and the nightclub works too Cool The Brabazon is pants but may get a good deal if we book it early, and it does get wet so pot luck with March conditions. It also has 2 other tracks so could be a winner, although it will probably be expensive. I was organising our company golf day and the belfry was by far the most expensive and we were booking 80-rooms and golf for 100 players, and wouldn't allow shotgun starts, first tee off time 12:30 - stupid

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 09 Nov 2011, 4:46 pm

super_realist wrote:What about something Manchester way? It's only a couple of hours away for you Southerners and about 3 and a half hours for us Northerners.

Wychwood Park (Crewe area, just South of Manchester?) - Never played the course but I've stayed in the hotel on business and it would fit the bill from that side of things (no nightclub though). A DeVere place if I remember correctly

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 09 Nov 2011, 4:46 pm

JPX wrote:How about somewhere Newcastle way? I want to tick a Geordie bird off my list.

Wow. Brave man they'll eat you alive in my experience, well I guess thats the whole point isn't it. Have to say many a good nights out in Newcastle, had to do the walk of shame home from a few geordie lasses house too.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Wed 09 Nov 2011, 4:47 pm

JPX wrote:How about somewhere Newcastle way? I want to tick a Geordie bird off my list.

You do realise this is a GOLF trip?? Whistle

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Wed 09 Nov 2011, 4:48 pm

I used to work on the Quayside in Newcastle. It is great for nights out, but NOT so great for golf.

Last edited by Mercurio on Wed 09 Nov 2011, 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : To insert NOT)

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 09 Nov 2011, 4:48 pm

i love the back 9 at wychwood park- front is abit boring mind- you can get seriously cehap deeals mind

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 09 Nov 2011, 4:49 pm

drive4show wrote:

You do realise this is a GOLF trip?? Whistle

Golf oh, count me out then laughing

Why can't we combine the craic with golf. I'll be on my bestest behaviour.... As long a coach load of nurses don't appear....

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Wed 09 Nov 2011, 4:53 pm

If we are going to have a mass meet-up then we require some rules, so here are a few I've made up.

1) What happens on 606 tour stays on 606 tour.
2) There are no other rules.
3) See rule #1

That should cover it I reckon?

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Wed 09 Nov 2011, 4:57 pm

Maverick wrote:

Wow. Brave man they'll eat you alive in my experience, well I guess thats the whole point isn't it. Have to say many a good nights out in Newcastle, had to do the walk of shame home from a few geordie lasses house too.

That's kind of what I had in mind mav!

I'm starting to get to the difficult end of the list and the Geordie bird is next 'easy win', if you like!

Surprisingly, MILF is the leader in the clubhouse.

Last edited by JPX on Wed 09 Nov 2011, 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added a golfing term!)

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 09 Nov 2011, 4:58 pm

drive4show wrote:If we are going to have a mass meet-up then we require some rules, so here are a few I've made up.

3) See rule #1

Big prizes for a hole in one in either Golf or Apres Golf.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 09 Nov 2011, 4:59 pm

drive4show wrote:If we are going to have a mass meet-up then we require some rules, so here are a few I've made up.

3) See rule #1

What other rules are needed.... oh spare toilet rolls to be kept in golf bags in case of sharting

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed 09 Nov 2011, 5:03 pm

40 odd posts but only 8 voted YES?

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 09 Nov 2011, 5:09 pm

3) See rule #1

Thats good because I reckon if you repeated the story about the bunch of middle aged blokes who had a round of golf, got lagged and then had a curry it might get a tad dull after a while. I suppose there is some mileage in the story as its a bunch of strangers from the internet choosing to all meet up...but Im really not sure thats the sort of thing Id want to be telling my mates about anyway.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Wed 09 Nov 2011, 5:12 pm

Diggers wrote:

3) See rule #1

Thats good because I reckon if you repeated the story about the bunch of middle aged blokes who had a round of golf, got lagged and then had a curry it might get a tad dull after a while. I suppose there is some mileage in the story as its a bunch of strangers from the internet choosing to all meet up...but Im really not sure thats the sort of thing Id want to be telling my mates about anyway.

You have mates?

Headscratch

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 09 Nov 2011, 5:14 pm

Mercurio wrote:
Diggers wrote:

3) See rule #1

You have mates?

Headscratch

A few of them are admittedly invisible but they are still special to me.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed 09 Nov 2011, 5:20 pm

So far we have a round dozen

Doc
Mav
S-R
Merc
Davie
JPX
Diggers
MPB
No1Yank
D4S
Mystioakey
Dynamark

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 09 Nov 2011, 5:26 pm

Realistically if you could get about 16-20 maybes you have a fair chance of pulling off 10-12 people actually turning up which would be a good effort and enough for a good laugh.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next