The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dan Lydiate injured

+10
munkian
Morgannwg
TycroesOsprey
welshy824
bedfordwelsh
Taffineastbourne
maestegmafia
Rory_Gallagher
Turkster
wales606
14 posters

Go down

Dan Lydiate injured Empty Dan Lydiate injured

Post by wales606 Sat 12 Nov - 16:40

"Only a 24th-minute injury to Wales flanker Dan Lydiate spoiled a decent day's work in Italy for the Welsh region.

"It's the same ankle he injured in the World Cup, hopefully not too much of a problem and we can get him back on the field quickly," Dragons coach Darren Edwards told BBC Sport Wales .

Asked about Lydiate's prospects of being fit for the Wales-Australia game on 3 December, Edwards was reluctant to assess the chances.

"I'm not sure, as you saw in the World Cup he'll do everything possible to get fit as quickly as possible. We'll scan him when we get back," Edwards added."

Could be a problem if he is injured for the Aus game, R.Jones moves to 6 I guess - but it might unsettle the backrow against Pocock.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Dan Lydiate injured Empty Re: Dan Lydiate injured

Post by Turkster Sat 12 Nov - 16:45

Shame, brilliant player, hope he's fit for Australia, Jamie Roberts too.

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 12 Nov - 17:39

I thought Ryan Jones was outstanding in the Australia game at 8. I hadn't seen him play so well for a long time. He should play 8 with Warburton and Faletau playing flanker.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 12 Nov - 17:44

I agree re Ryan Jones at 8 for Wales... But I would still hope for Lydiate to pull through quickly and without too much problem.

I hope that the injuries to Welsh players resulting in the leaving the field this weekend are due to precautionary measures...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 12 Nov - 17:51

An interesting point I just noticed was that this time last year Wales were in need of backrow cover, as Powell, Jones, Thomas etc were not cutting it. They seemed to lack any sort of world class backrow.

Now you have an abundance of talent in all 3 back row positions;

Lydiate
Warburton
Faletau
Tipuric
Turnbull
Morgan (soon)

I'm sure there is a lot more I have missed out. Not to mention Jones and Thomas etc coming back to form.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sat 12 Nov - 19:06

And no mention of Delve.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 12 Nov - 19:57

Roberts' injruy isn't to bad by all accounts.

Lydiates still waiting to be assessed and hopefully not to bad as I think him, Faletau and Warburton are our best back row combo for a long time, that said Jones has picked his game up.

Also didn't A Jones go off injured? Hope thats not to bad or we are royally screwed again
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Sun 13 Nov - 1:45

Rory_Gallagher wrote:I thought Ryan Jones was outstanding in the Australia game at 8. I hadn't seen him play so well for a long time. He should play 8 with Warburton and Faletau playing flanker.

if lydiate is injured you mean?

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 13 Nov - 8:33

He played 8 when Warburton wasn't available with Faletau playing 7.

If Lydiate is injured then I would just prefer a straight swap with him coming in at No6 leaving Faletau at 8.

If this is the case I hope Gatland uses the bench slot for one of the youngsters as opposed to Powell.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 13 Nov - 10:07

bedfordwelsh wrote:He played 8 when Warburton wasn't available with Faletau playing 7.

If Lydiate is injured then I would just prefer a straight swap with him coming in at No6 leaving Faletau at 8.

If this is the case I hope Gatland uses the bench slot for one of the youngsters as opposed to Powell.

Powell wont be available for Oz
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 13 Nov - 10:22

Good point 606 forgot about that which in one way then is a blessing as hopefully Gats will have looked at Turnbull or McCusker, not JT I hope.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun 13 Nov - 10:35

welshy824 wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:I thought Ryan Jones was outstanding in the Australia game at 8. I hadn't seen him play so well for a long time. He should play 8 with Warburton and Faletau playing flanker.

if lydiate is injured you mean?

If Lydiate is injured for the Australia game, yes.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 13 Nov - 10:36

bedfordwelsh wrote:Good point 606 forgot about that which in one way then is a blessing as hopefully Gats will have looked at Turnbull or McCusker, not JT I hope.

When does Andreus Pretorious qualify? - I wouldn't be surprised if he is involved, he was our player of the season last season and has a great work effort - could really push Lydiate.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 13 Nov - 13:05

There is no need to use former NWQ players like Pretorious when we have enough home grown talent to fill in. Better to give experience to a young Welsh prospect than to close the door on our hard working talent like McCusker, Turnbull, Tuperic, even Shingler needs to be considered soon too.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Sun 13 Nov - 14:42

If lydiate is out of the game then I see it as a straight swap with McCusker. Similar type of players and it leaves the balance of the backrow unchanged.

Tight Head for ne is the big worry if Adma is out. Mitchell wont be available in Exeter and Paul James has a bust thumb. That means we have to look at Gardiner or Andrews for the game. Maybe even Roller Skates Thomas. Rolling Eyes

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 13 Nov - 14:56

Rhys Thomas has been playing very well recently, I dot think he would let us down.

Joe Rees looks great for the Ospreys too. Gardiner and Andrews are not setting the world alight, yet.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Sun 13 Nov - 15:04

Yeah I agree maes he has been playing well but he just doesnt inspire me with confidence. Fortunatly Aus are no great shakes in the scrum so it shouldnt cause problems on our own ball if Adam is out but it takes away an area of dominance we could have had.

Its why we desperatly need another tighthead with Mitchell to guve us backup.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun 13 Nov - 18:29

JT is playing well to my suprise. If Danny stays injured then I'd expect to see him and Ryan Jones back in the match day squad. Would have made me shiver before seeing their names on the team sheet but I can't argue with their good form.

Aaron Jarvis actually looks better than Craig Mitchell too. Only one may be available to us for the December game and it is unlikely to be the one playing in England.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 14 Nov - 9:40

Morgan,

For me if JT is involved it would be a huge step backwards, I would rather see McCusker or Turnbull given a crack.

As for T/Head then depsite slating him in recent times then I would pick Thomas over Andrews.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 14 Nov - 9:45

bedfordwelsh wrote:Morgan,

For me if JT is involved it would be a huge step backwards, I would rather see McCusker or Turnbull given a crack.

As for T/Head then depsite slating him in recent times then I would pick Thomas over Andrews.

It appears to me that players you rate as poor seem to immediately slip in to the form of their lives. Huw Bennett a good example.

Please can you write an indepth thread on the also rand and dross of the welsh qualified Celtic league players, it might give them a bit of a kick up the backside.

They obviously listen to you.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 14 Nov - 9:50

mm,

If only it was that easy but will have a go, any particular individual you want me to name lol.

I don't think anyone expected Bennett to produce the form he did during the WC though.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 14 Nov - 9:54

Apparently Faletau has a brother who is even bigger than him - anyone seen him play ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 14 Nov - 9:56

bedfordwelsh wrote:mm,

If only it was that easy but will have a go, any particular individual you want me to name lol.

I don't think anyone expected Bennett to produce the form he did during the WC though.

Bennet's throwing was gash in the Galacticos Ospreys game steam
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Mon 14 Nov - 15:15

munkian wrote:Apparently Faletau has a brother who is even bigger than him - anyone seen him play ?
Isnt he a bit older but plays in the Welsh premiership?
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 14 Nov - 16:27

bedfordwelsh wrote:mm,

Bar Gatland maybe?

Same can be said for Charteris, turning his regional form in at international level, Ryan Jones looking refreshed, North and Roberts exuberant, Phillips measured, skilled and an attacking weapon...!

Gatland and co worked some magic, along with your persistent slating of them all...

Please carry on, the more players you can find that are Welsh qualified and off form the better.

Though please would stay away from any conversations about either the other six nations teams or the Aussies, we play the lot over the next 12 months and i dont want them to find any bizarre surges in form...!

Cheers Beds mate

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 14 Nov - 17:15

mm,

I have never slated Gatland, some of the other coaches yes and still not convinced with Howley.

Certainly never slated Roberts or North and have always said Phillips should be in squad at least.

R Jones, ok given him a bit but then again praised him towards end of last season and did say he would be better without captaincy and needed some competition.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 14 Nov - 18:15

It wasnt you... Then there must be someone else who they are reading on here that gives them a kick up the backside...

Carry on the good work Bedford mate, you did great work with Bennett

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 14 Nov - 19:00

maestegmafia wrote:Rhys Thomas has been playing very well recently, I dot think he would let us down.

Joe Rees looks great for the Ospreys too. Gardiner and Andrews are not setting the world alight, yet.

Gardiner hasn't played this year as he's been injured - Looked really good last year but too soon for him to be considered for Wales IMO maybe next season though I do expect big things from him in the future.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 15 Nov - 16:20

AlynDavies wrote:
munkian wrote:Apparently Faletau has a brother who is even bigger than him - anyone seen him play ?
Isnt he a bit older but plays in the Welsh premiership?

He does but I thought he was younger - he's certainly bigger though, hope Dragon's coaches have got their eyes on him thumbsup
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 15 Nov - 16:24

Of more import is when is Toby going to restore his hair to it's former glory?

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 15 Nov - 16:57

I'm sure his winter coat will grow in shortly thumbsup
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by RuckingFlanker86 Tue 15 Nov - 17:34

Josh Faletau is a giant, 6'5 and about 19 stone. Was a lock but he's been playing at prop for a while, he put on alot of weight recently and wasn't as nifty around the park as he was. With the right conditioning, he could be a good lock for the Dragons, but really not sure if he shares Tobys commitment and attitude.

Oh and he's only a year or two older I believe, about 22.

RuckingFlanker86

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Tue 15 Nov - 17:38

Smirnoffpriest wrote:Of more import is when is Toby going to restore his hair to it's former glory?
tf's hair was the difference between 4th and winning

Watching that barnet scream into midfield shared the shoite out of me and i was watching on tv, it mesmerised defenders who had to keep an eye on it as it could have blocked out the sun

but then he shaved that awesome mirkin off, presumably on advice of attack coaches who probably statted it as slowing him up, and looked as if he was about 6, he had bumfluff ffs!

Bring back the barnet Toby and 2015 is a shoo in

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 15 Nov - 18:57

I have to say I am also pro-fro when it comes to Toby! I would say it holds his special powers, but then again he was a monster in the RWC.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 15 Nov - 21:33

He looks so much smaller and less intimidating without it where as he was a certified beast with his mighty fro!

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 Nov - 23:02

Plus the fros were handy for us poor supporters who had to brave the winters. They were a god send on the terraces.

On the upside re Lydiate, his ankle isn't as injured now, but he will be getting it fully healed. I guess Lewis Evans will be Dragons' 6 for a few weeks.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 16 Nov - 8:57

Rev,

Thats a pretty decent replacement to have in my eyes. few seasons ago it was Evans who was catching the selectors eye and would have been involved in Welsh squad if we hadn't had the Heineken cup play off game.

He's been doing pretty good job at 7 as well.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 16 Nov - 17:27

I'm liking the Dragons and Scarlets back rows now - after years of Wales suffering - but the Dragons do seem to have more strength in depth with Toby, Lydiate, G Thomas, Lewis Evans and Coombs with a few youngsters coming through - although actually thinking about it the Scarlets have Morgan, Murphy, Turnbull, McCusker, Shingler, Edwards and Pugh which thinking about it could be said to be stronger if their all on form

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 16 Nov - 18:35

Priest,

Hopefully we will see the likes of:

Faletau and Morgan going head to head and putting pressure on each other for the No8 shirt.

McCusker, Turnbull, Evans and Lydiate all doing same for the 6 and 7 shirts.

Great position to be in and thats without the Blues and O's players taken into the equation.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down