The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cardiff Blues vs. London Irish - Heineken Cup Pool 2 Match Discussion

+19
Smirnoffpriest
Mad for Chelsea
Knowsit17
scoi
Artful_Dodger
westernosprey
Heaf
radelven
stnick88
XR
offload
slartibartfast
wales606
BlueNote
bedfordwelsh
LondonTiger
maestegmafia
Coleman
Ozzy3213
23 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Cardiff Blues vs. London Irish - Heineken Cup Pool 2 Match Discussion Empty Cardiff Blues vs. London Irish - Heineken Cup Pool 2 Match Discussion

Post by Ozzy3213 Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:48 am

This weekends Heineken Cup action kicks off on Friday night with Cardiff Blues vs. London Irish at the Cardiff City Stadium. After round one Cardiff sit atop the pool after an excellent away win in Paris, with London Irish third after a disappointing home defeat to Edinburgh.

Cardiff Blues

Squad
Scott Andrews, Marc Breeze, James Corsi, Alex Cuthbert, Chris Czekaj, Bradley Davies, James Down, Gavin Evans, Tau Filise, Leigh Halfpenny, Luke Hamilton, Ryan Harford, Gavin Henson, Dafyyd Hewitt, Sam Hobbs, Tom James, Gethin Jenkins, Deiniol Jones, Lewis Jones, Casey Laulala, Ma'ama Molitika, Richard Mustoe, Dan Parks, Michael Paterson, Andries Pretorius, Richie Rees, Jamie Roberts, Xavier Rush, Ceri Sweeney, T.Rhys Thomas, Paul Tito, Nathan Trevett, Ryan Tyrell, Sam Warburton, Lloyd Williams, Martyn Williams, Rhys Williams, John Yapp.

Last Time Out
The Blues began this campaign with an excellent away win in Paris in round one. That result does appear to have come at a cost, with star centre Jamie Roberts possibly unavailable for this game due to injury. The Blues however will take great confidence from their showing in round one and will know that a home win this time out will put them in a very strong position in the pool.

London Irish

Squad
Darren Allinson, Joe Ansbro, Delon Armitage, Brian Blaney, Dan Bowden, James Buckland, Bob Casey, Alex Corbisiero, Declan Danaher, Clarke Dermody, Bryn Evans, Matt Garvey, Mark George, Jamie Gibson, Alex Gray, Chris Hala'ufia, Leo Halavatau, Shontayne Hape, Paul Hodgson, Tom Homer, Paulica Ion, Adrian Jarvis, Jonathan Joseph, Nick Kennedy, Max Lahiff, Topsy Ojo, David Paice, Faan Rautenbach, Ross Samson, James Sandford, Steven Shingler, Ed Siggery, Jebb Sinclair, David Sisi, Jonathan Spratt, Sailosi Tagicakibau, Adam Thompstone, Richard Thorpe.

Last Time Out
Irish managed to lose a 19-10 lead to be beaten by a point at home to Edinburgh in round one, and in reality it could have been a bigger margin with Tim Visser harshly being disallowed a try by the TMO. Shontayne Hape has also been cited for a tackle on David Denton and with his hearing on Thursday Irish could well lose their first choice 12 for this one as well, which given that it is a must win game for them may prove to be a fatal blow to their chances in the pool.

Summary

On paper this game is Cardiff Blues' to lose. Although they are missing one or two players through injury, Irish are missing almost an entire back division and do not have the same strength in depth as the Blues. Up front the Irish pack will need to perform with a lot more intensity at the tackle area than they did last time out if they are to live with a Blues pack containing Welsh World Cup stars Gethin Jenkins, Bradley Davies and Sam Warburton.

If any Blues fans have any team/injury news please post here and I will do the same for Irish.

How do people see this one going?
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Cardiff Blues vs. London Irish - Heineken Cup Pool 2 Match Discussion Empty Re: Cardiff Blues vs. London Irish - Heineken Cup Pool 2 Match Discussion

Post by Coleman Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:09 pm

I can see it being a close tough game. LI will want to bounce back and get them selfs back in to the mix. The CCS isnt what i would consider a fortress as we dont get the big crowds in. We dont have that 16th man like Munster do. But that being said i do believe we should have the grit to win. I don't see us geting a bonus point though.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Cardiff Blues vs. London Irish - Heineken Cup Pool 2 Match Discussion Empty Re: Cardiff Blues vs. London Irish - Heineken Cup Pool 2 Match Discussion

Post by maestegmafia Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:14 pm

I am not sure Irish have the firepower to be a massive threat but they cant be taken lightly.

Blues need to focus on getting as much out of this game as possible. They should be backing themselves to win and be striving for a bonus point to really set them up for a pool win.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:22 pm

I am a bit concerned by a comment that I heard from Toby Booth yesterday where he said that we must come back with at least an LBP. I cannot see how we would be likely to qualify if we lose this one. Realistically we then have to win all of our remaining four matches and pick up at least two TBP's in the process, whilst all the while hoping that the other teams all beat each other once without picking up bonus points.

For me we have to go out and win the game. At full strength I would fancy us, but I am less confident at the moment as we are already without some key players for us. Having said that, I thought we'd beat Bath at home and we lost, I thought we would get absolutely hammered by Leicester and we came away with a draw, and I thought we would beat Edinburgh and we didn't, so going on that basis and my clear lack of getting predictions ight we may well be in with a chance this week! Wink
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:26 pm

LI have been inconsistent - but I really struggle to see them getting anything from this game.

Having beaten the toughest team in the pool away from home, already this is feeling as if a home 1/4 final is Cardiff's to lose.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:00 pm

Although the scoreboard may not reflect it I think the Blues will win comfortably, for me it would be bigger bonus if they could deny Irish a losing BP.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:55 pm

The last thing we want the Blues to do is underestimate London Irish.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:18 pm

If LIs trip to the Liberty last year is anything to go by their away form in Wales is pretty pedestrian.

They are missing Armitage and Hape, their two big England International stars. But Looks like the Blues are without Robinson according to the BBC

BBC Sport wrote:
Jamie Roberts (knee) is out of Cardiff Blues' Heineken Cup clash against London Irish on Friday.

The Wales centre limped out of his side's stunning 26-20 win at Racing Metro last Friday.

Blues lock James Down, 24, could be out for six months after dislocating and breaking an ankle in Paris.

London Irish could be without England centre Shontayne Hape after he was cited for an alleged high tackle in their 20-19 defeat by Edinburgh.

Hape's hearing will be held in Dublin on Thursday and if he is cleared to face the Blues, will not have to contend with Roberts or the possibility of Gavin Henson making his debut for the region.

The Blues confirmed Roberts will not recover in time for the encounter at Cardiff City Stadium and say recent recruit Henson is unlikey to be fit until their Friday, 2 December Pro12 clash at Leinster.

Henson damaged a wrist in Wales' final World Cup warm-up game in August and signed for the Blues ahead of their European campaign.

Leigh Halfpenny (ankle) and Martyn Williams (broken arm) also remain on the sidelines.

Gavin Evans joined Casey Laulala in the Blues' midfield following Roberts' departure in Paris and the pair could link up again to face the Exiles.

Roberts hopes to be fit to line up for Wales against Australia on Saturday, 3 December at the Millennium Stadium.

Justin Burnell wants better Blues finishing
Roberts was making his first Blues appearance of the season at Racing Metro following his starring role in Wales' World Cup campaign in New Zealand, but lasted only 17 minutes.

However, Down was carried off while Roberts was able to walk away.

Atter added: "James [Down] had to stay in Paris on the Friday night but flew back on Saturday.

"He had an operation at the University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff, by Cardiff Blues surgeon Rhys Thomas on Sunday for a fracture dislocation of his right ankle and is expected to be out for four to six months."

Atter says Roberts' knee has been "a little bit swollen, but it is not thought to be a serious injury".

However, the injury will cause concern to Wales coach Warren Gatland as he plans for their Saturday, 3 December clash against Australia at the Millennium Stadium.

The British and Irish Lions player's absence from the clash with London Irish may have prompted a debut for recent recruit Gavin Henson.

But according to Blues chairman Peter Thomas, who lauded coaches Burnell and Gareth Baber following the triumph in Paris, Henson's wrist injury has yet to fully clear up.

Henson's hopes of bidding for a place in the Wales squad to face the Wallabies are also in doubt because of the duration of his recovery from the injury suffered against England in August.

Wales will be seeking revenge against the tourists following their 21-18 World Cup bronze play-off defeat at Eden Park. The teams also face each other three times next summer when Wales tour down under.

London Irish will be without back-three threat Delon Armitage because of a five-week suspension.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:38 pm

maestegmafia wrote:If LIs trip to the Liberty last year is anything to go by their away form in Wales is pretty pedestrian.

They are missing Armitage and Hape, their two big England International stars. But Looks like the Blues are without Robinson according to the BBC

We have been without Robinson for several years now (much to many peoples dismay), were missing Roberts too...
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:47 pm

Should be a good game, im looking forward to it.

History has shown that the best way to beat the Blues is with a strong forward unit, teams that go too wide tend to lose. Northampton killed us up front last year, Munster frustrate our forwards ever time we play them. Leicester led us for most of a HC semi final, untill their forwards got tired and they opened up to much - result, a penalty shoot-out.

I dont think LI have the forwards to dominate up front, if they get parity then it will be a very open attacking game - but the Blues should be too strong. If the Blues get the upper hand up front then LI will be in big trouble if Warburton, Pretorious, Gethin and Tito are allowed freedom to roam.

Blues likely team.

1. Gethin Jenkins
2. T R Thomas
3. Tau Filise
4. Bradley Davies
5. Paul Tito (c)
6. Michael Paterson (Pretorious hasnt done enough to return yet)
7. Sam Warburton
8. Xavier Rush
9. Lloyd Williams (was key last week)
10. Dan Parks
11. Tom James
12. Gavin Evans (based on him playing last week, Hewitt may still come in though)
13. Casey Laulaula
14. Alex Cuthbert
15. Chris Czekaj (Leigh Halfpenny may return)

16. A Hooker (god know who it will be this week)
17. John Yapp
18. Scott Andrews
19. Andreus Pretorious (with Paterson covering 4,5 without Downs or Deniol)
20. Mamma Molitka
21. Ritchie Rees
22. Ceri Sweeney
23. Daffydd Hewitt (Gavin Evans)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:45 pm

I genuinely have no idea what the likely starting line up for London Irish is. The pack has been so hit and miss, I think the only player actually guaranteed to start this week is Jamie Gibson.

Interestingly Clark Dermody and Bob Casey (current club captain and his predecessor) both played in the A side last week after injury. Neither featured on Saturday, and then both were also left out of the A side last night for the match with Harlequins.

I suspect that was to ensure that there was no risk of them getting injured and they will both feature in the 23 on Friday night, as we have missed a bit of grunt, leadership and experience in the pack.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:41 pm

my surprise was the pace of the Blues backline - if they can keep that tempo then they should win. There seemed a lot of communication going on between the players during the game - which is a feature that has been lacking in Welsh rugby.

Just generally a feeling of better attitude - perhaps this comes with confidence?

Whatever the score lets hope no one gets injured on either side and it's a game with high skill levels.

slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:55 am

The Blues need to get rid of Dan Parks before we can see the best of their backline

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:49 am

maestegmafia wrote:The Blues need to get rid of Dan Parks before we can see the best of their backline

Wonder who they have who can take his place Wink
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:54 am

I can't understand why they opt for him over Sweeney. As soon as Sweeney gets a run of games he is a far superior flyhalf.

The Blues do have a history of purchasing bizarre flyhalfs ever since Robinson.

I think Henson will be no better.

They should have let Parjs go and tried to get a decent youngster instead as a ten.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:01 am

maestegmafia wrote:I can't understand why they opt for him over Sweeney. As soon as Sweeney gets a run of games he is a far superior flyhalf.

The Blues do have a history of purchasing bizarre flyhalfs ever since Robinson.

I think Henson will be no better.

They should have let Parjs go and tried to get a decent youngster instead as a ten.

Agreed. 10 is a big gap in the Blues line up. Even with the various injuries I expect a narrow home win. but the Blues will continue to be a nearly team until they get a decent fly half.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:04 am

Question for the Blues fans. How do you rate Laulala?

I have seen him have the odd storing game, but more often when I have seen him he has appeared to have poor hands and stopped your back three from getting good ball by just running into contact and getting turned over.

Don't really know what to make of him.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:01 am

Don't have a bad word for Casey, often our stand out performer. There have been games where he hasn't been on form but then there's times where he's by far and away our best player (Connacht away recently for example). He's a typical NZer, though. He does take it up to the line and to contact, but often looks for the offload but we don't seem to run the same lines as they do in NZ. raspberry

As for picking Sweeney over Parks...Got to love the attitude re; Parks. The guy gets MoM against Racing Metro and kept us in (and won) the game against Connacht with his penalties and convertions before that and he still gets slated.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:25 am

Ozzy3213 wrote:Question for the Blues fans. How do you rate Laulala?

I have seen him have the odd storing game, but more often when I have seen him he has appeared to have poor hands and stopped your back three from getting good ball by just running into contact and getting turned over.

Don't really know what to make of him.

Laulaula is brilliant at reading the game, he is the man who gets our back3 going (often the ball bypasses Parks and Laulaula is left to distribute on attack). He does run into contact, but doesnt get turned over that easily, he is deceptively strong and has a brilliant offload. When on form he is our most important back, with Laulaula playing im not too worried about lossing Roberts.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by stnick88 Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:44 am

Likely Irish team for me...

1 Corbisiero
2 Paice
3 Ion
4 Garvey
5 Kennedy
6 Danaher
7 Gibson
8 Sinclair
9 Hodgson
10 Bowden
11 Thompstone
12 Hape (If banned, Shingler)
13 Ansbro
14 Ojo
15 Homer

16 Lahiff
17 Buckland
18 Rautenbach
19 Evans
20 Thorpe
21 Samson
22 Jarvis
23 Spratt

Think Hodgson will be brought in for his defensive skills. Danaher was rested last week so will be back and is an important player for us, brings leadership which we hugely lacked last week. As does Hodgson. Ojo should be fit after narrowly missing out last week and provides some pace and is a linebreaker which we lacked last week. Hape and Shingler lacks pace in the centres so Ansbro at 13 gives me more confidence. Ran some good lines v Edinburgh. Hopefully Hape wont be banned as he has looked good. Shingler is a decent replacement though.

We are most definitely underdogs, but our away record is decent this season (won at Northampton, drew at Leicester and only lost by 3 points at Gloucester) and I think it could be a close one.

stnick88

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:48 am

stnick

any news on why Dermody and Casey didn't feature for the A team on Monday night. Wondering if they are in contention for this week.

Praying that Topsy is fit and Ansbro plays at 13 this week.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:05 am

Morning all

less than 36 hours to kick off now, getting excited.

Word on the street is that Topsy will be fit, which is good news for us.

Am guessing that the team will be announced around lunchtime today.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:14 am

If Topsy is fit, i think i'll ring the Hilton Cardiff and tell them he's on his way Wink

Last edited by gcBlues on Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:52 am

Yeah, he'll need somewhere to rest after running in a couple of tries during the game. Wink

Also looks like Demody, Paice and Danaher will be back in the 23 this week as well.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:15 am

Ozzy3213 wrote:Yeah, he'll need somewhere to rest after running in a couple of tries during the game. Wink

Also looks like Demody, Paice and Danaher will be back in the 23 this week as well.

Ill get the hospital to prepare some blood transfusions...has he seen the size of the back 3 he is up against?
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:20 am

As big as they may be, they can't hit what they can't catch Wink

Looking like

15. Homer
14. Ojo
13. Ansbro
12. Shingler (Hape if not banned)
11. Thompstone
10. Bowden
9. Not quite sure, sweating on fitness of Allinson.

1. Corbisiero
2. Paice/Buckland
3. Ion
4. Kennedy
5. Garvey
6. Danaher
7. Gibson
8. Sinclair
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:28 am

Ozzy3213 wrote:As big as they may be, they can't hit what they can't catch Wink

Looking like

15. Homer
14. Ojo
13. Ansbro
11. Thompstone
10. Bowden

1. Corbisiero
2. Paice/Buckland
3. Ion
4. Kennedy
5. Garvey
6. Danaher
7. Gibson
8. Sinclair

Well Alex Cuthbert is like George North, only he can ride horses too

Tom James isnt slow either.

Pity Jamie Roberts isnt fit...he loves tackling.

Anyway,
Corbs vs Filise is where LI need to look to attack in the scrum (but Filise looked good last week)
Our scrum is usually a weakness, but with Gethin fit (for once) I can see up getting an advantage on you THP.
LI scrum didnt do great against Edinburgh and your replacements were poor - in the last 20 we will have 2 international props to come on, Yapp and Andrews, I suggest your coach doesnt rush changes in the front row this week Wink

Ill be interested to see how Shingler does at 12, he looked decent at 13 and can also play 10 and 15 (LI seem to be creating the next Hook for Wales)

Is Hape out then? That is useful since we are missing Roberts defence in the 12 channel.

I REALLY hope Allison plays against L.Williams Wink
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:35 am

wales606 wrote:
Ozzy3213 wrote:As big as they may be, they can't hit what they can't catch Wink

Looking like

15. Homer
14. Ojo
13. Ansbro
11. Thompstone
10. Bowden

1. Corbisiero
2. Paice/Buckland
3. Ion
4. Kennedy
5. Garvey
6. Danaher
7. Gibson
8. Sinclair

Well Alex Cuthbert is like George North, only he can ride horses too

Tom James isnt slow either.

Pity Jamie Roberts isnt fit...he loves tackling.

Anyway,
Corbs vs Filise is where LI need to look to attack in the scrum (but Filise looked good last week)
Our scrum is usually a weakness, but with Gethin fit (for once) I can see up getting an advantage on you THP.
LI scrum didnt do great against Edinburgh and your replacements were poor - in the last 20 we will have 2 international props to come on, Yapp and Andrews, I suggest your coach doesnt rush changes in the front row this week Wink

Ill be interested to see how Shingler does at 12, he looked decent at 13 and can also play 10 and 15 (LI seem to be creating the next Hook for Wales)

Is Hape out then? That is useful since we are missing Roberts defence in the 12 channel.

I REALLY hope Allison plays against L.Williams Wink

You are kidding with the scrum comment right??? It was the one area where we dominated Edinburgh, even with them having two thirds of the Scotland front row. The only time we didn't was after Booth's routine substitution of the props around the hour mark. I suspect that this week our prop replacements may be Dermody (capped All Black) and Rautenbach (former Springbok), who should manage to cope with Yapp and Andrews ok.

Shingler has done a job, but he is most definitely not a 13. He is a good 12 though, and will be reasonably happy with him there should Hape not be available.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:09 pm

Cardiff Blues 15 Chris Czekaj 14 Alex Cuthbert 13 Casey Laulala 12 Dafydd Hewitt 11 Tom James 10 Dan Parks 9 Lloyd Williams

8 Xavier Rush 7 Sam Warburton 6 Michael Paterson 5 Paul Tito (c) 4 Bradley Davies 3 Taufa'ao Filise 2 T Rhys Thomas 1 Gethin Jenkins

16 Marc Breeze 17 John Yapp 18 Scott Andrews 19 Maama Molitika 20 Josh Navidi 21 Richie Rees 22 Ceri Sweeney 23 Gavin Evans

Same team as last week, only Hewitt starts at 12 over Evans who is prefered on the bench as he can cover wing.

Pretorious is strangely absent? - Navidi and Molitika prefered over him (seems very odd as be was our player of the season last year and although he had a bad 20mins last week, he has only just come back from injury)

Without Deniol and Down we have no lock cover, so we have 2 backrow player on the bench with Paterson covering lock.

Navidi could get his first chance in the HC, although I doubt Warbs will be subbed he could come on at 6 with Molitika at 8 for Rush.

A pity that Halfpenny isnt fit yet.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:13 pm

Blues website wrote:Cardiff Blues will hope to feel the benefit of their TV advertising campaign along with the return of their Rugby World Cup heroes and a fantastic win against Racing Metro in Paris, when they take on London Irish this Friday, 18 November, 8pm kick off, in their Round 2 Heineken Cup match.
The TV advert, which is broadcast at peak hours on S4C including during the channel's Heineken Cup coverage, is an all action affair and features a mix of up and coming young players, some more familiar Blues stars and the six Wales Rugby World Cup players: Sam Warburton, Jamie Roberts, Leigh Halfpenny, Lloyd Williams, Gethin Jenkins and Bradley Davies.

The six stars were made available for press interviews the week they returned to training with the Blues, allowing fans to read their thoughts and opinions on the World Cup as well as the forthcoming Heineken Cup matches. In addition, their image has been used to advertise the London Irish match online as well as on bus screens, posters in pubs, S4C's website and there will be a special signing session with some of the World Cup players on Thursday, 4.30pm to 5.30pm, at the Stadium Superstore.

The Blues also have fantastic offer for season ticket holders for the match, who are able to purchase additional tickets for family and friends for Friday's match for only £10. (maximum of two ticket). There's also an offer for Cardiff Blues Stadium Card holders who can claim £5 off their match tickets.

Family tickets, for two adults and two children, are also on general sale priced at only £24 for seats in the Family Stand.

Looks like we could have a decent crowd for the game. Hopefully we will get 15k+ with the WC enthusiasm.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:19 pm

London Irish has made six personnel changes and two positional changes from the side that played against Edinburgh last weekend for tomorrow evenings Heineken Cup round two game against Cardiff Blues at the Cardiff City Stadium (kick-off 8pm).

Clarke Dermody returns to captain the side in a front row that contains David Paice at hooker and Faan Rautenbach at tighthead prop. Declan Danaher comes in at blind side flanker. Steve Shingler moves from outside to inside centre where he will be partnered by Joe Ansbro who moves into the centre from the wing. Topsy Ojo will start on the wing.

London Irish head coach Toby Booth said: “Both sides play entertaining rugby so it should make for a great spectacle. We know what is required of us tomorrow evening. We will go there to be competitive and look to come away with a result.”

London Irish team to face Cardiff Blues:

15.Tom Homer; 14.Topsy Ojo*; 13.Joe Ansbro*; 12.Steve Shingler; 11.Adam Thompstone; 10. Dan Bowden; 9.Ross Samson; 1.Clarke Dermody* (Captain); 2. David Paice; 3.Faan Rautenbach*; 4. Nick Kennedy*; 5. Matt Garvey; 6. Declan Danaher; 7.Richard Thorpe; 8. Jebb Sinclair*

Replacements:

16. James Buckland; 17. Alex Corbisiero*; 18.Paulica Ion*; 19. James Sandford; 20. Jamie Gibson; 21. Jonathan Spratt; 22. Adrian Jarvis; 23.Paul Hodgson*

Head Coach: Toby Booth; Attack Coach: Mike Catt; Defence Coach: Justin Bishop

*Denotes International
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:22 pm

Corbs and Ion on the bench? - Not a great prediction then Ozzy Wink

Whats your opinion on this team then - I dont know much about some of these players.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:24 pm

Interesting to see young Shingler at 12...! Looking forward to seeing him.

He has had plenty of game time for the Irish

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:28 pm

I was a little off wasn't I.

In the backs it is the only 10 fit and available players that we have. I just pray that Jarvis doesn't have to come on, as quite frankly he is not very good. I can understand Gibson being benched as he is a young player who has played a lot so far this season, but really he has been our best forward and I think we should have started him and rested him next week.

I think it's right to say that the Blues will be favourites, but as we showed against Leicester, even living off scraps this backline (the only difference to the second half of that game is Ansbro in for Hape) can cut teams open.

Will need big performances from Paice, Kennedy, Danaher and Bowden for us to win the game, and will also need Homer to continue his current kicking form, which is up around the 90% mark.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:28 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Interesting to see young Shingler at 12...! Looking forward to seeing him.

He has had plenty of game time for the Irish

Looks like he wants to be in Wales reckoning -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/15773032.stm
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:34 pm

He's been pretty decent for us to be fair, but I would say he is a fair way off the Welsh squad in all honesty.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:37 pm

He is miles off, especially playing abroad. But it could be good for him to get regular rugby in England until a vacancy arrives for him at a region in Wales. Still a very young player.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:50 pm

How's Shingler's tackling?

He'll have a tough day against Hewitt, he's just non stop

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:54 pm

He's been decent enough in defence to be honest. He appears to be stronger than he looks. What he lacks is a bit of pace. If the Blues try to just smash through the midfield I would say he will be pretty comfortable defending agains that. If they look to try to inject some pace beat him on the outside shoulder, then we will have to see how he goes.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:07 pm

gcBlues wrote:How's Shingler's tackling?

He'll have a tough day against Hewitt, he's just non stop

Hewitt is tough, if only it was Roberts though - then we would know how good his tackling is.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:14 pm

Ozzy3213 wrote:He's been decent enough in defence to be honest. He appears to be stronger than he looks. What he lacks is a bit of pace. If the Blues try to just smash through the midfield I would say he will be pretty comfortable defending agains that. If they look to try to inject some pace beat him on the outside shoulder, then we will have to see how he goes.

Fair enough. I'd say Hewitt does come in on the crash ball but he pops up in all areas and has pretty good feet and pace.

Should make for an interesting evening - i have my tickets king

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:22 pm

Steven Shingler article on BBC

London Irish back Steven Shingler says he is hoping to use Friday's Heineken Cup game against Cardiff Blues to get himself in the Wales reckoning.

The former Scarlets fly-half has played for Wales Under-20s and is hoping to make the move into the senior squad.

The Exiles travel to Cardiff hoping to put behind them last weekend's opening Heineken Cup defeat by Edinburgh

"It'll be nice to go back to Wales and put down a marker," Swansea-born Shingler, 20, told BBC Radio Berkshire.

Shingler signed for London Irish in January, having made four appearances for the Welsh region.

Primarily signed as a fly-half, he has spent much of the season playing at centre and says he is looking forward to going 'home' this weekend.

"It was a big decision to leave Wales and move away from home. Mike Catt (backs coach) is here and I felt I need to move here to reach my goals.

"It is a dream to play international rugby and what you aspire to do. I've not had any contact and I know it is tough to get into the Wales reckoning when you move away but I am playing every Saturday and that is what I enjoy.

"It's worked well (the move) and my form is pretty good and I've had a lot of game time. I've managed to play well enough to keep my place.

"Mike Catt has pushed me and tested new boundaries and it's worked out."

Irish will be hoping to come away from Cardiff with some points following their disappointing opening-game defeat by Edinburgh at the Madejski Stadium.

Shingler added it would be extra special for him to beat the Blues considering his roots to Llanelli and Swansea, saying: "It would be lovely to stick one on them."

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:36 pm

I know he's probably been asked for an interview, but I really wish rugby players would leave talking about stuff until after the game. Go, play, lay a marker down and then talk about how pleased you were at playing well.

If I was a Blues player, the first time I tackled him I would nail him into the turf (legally of course) and as I was getting up would have to give him some banter about laying down markers.

Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:19 pm

Hape has just been banned for 4 weeks.

Utterly ridiculous disciplinary decision.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by radelven Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:14 pm

Has Shingler played at FH for LI yet this season?

I know he's been featuring in the centres because international players haven't been about or there have been injuries, but presumably he'll be a better option than Jarvis on the bench with 22 on his back once Hape, Ansbro & Joseph are all back?

radelven

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:27 am

Ozzy3213 wrote:Hape has just been banned for 4 weeks.

Utterly ridiculous disciplinary decision.

Completely ... And made worse by the fact that the bloke that deliberately elbowed him in the face got just one week .... How did the baffoons come up with that one?

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:51 am

I wonder what the crowd numbers will be like tonight. Hopefully us being on the red button may mean most people won't be able to watch it and actually get off their Harris and make it to the game

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:11 am

gcBlues wrote:I wonder what the crowd numbers will be like tonight. Hopefully us being on the red button may mean most people won't be able to watch it and actually get off their Harris and make it to the game

I expect a good crowd, should be 10k+, hoping for 15k+
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:50 pm

This game is on at the same time as Scarlets vs Northampton Sad - I wanted to watch that one Cry
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:08 pm

Blues all over the breakdown

Parks going for the corner rather than 3pts

It works! Rolling maul over the line

8 - 0

Conversion to come.

Ominous for LI.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next