The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WTF - Draw Announced!!

+12
lags72
hawkeye
Jahu
Calder106
barrystar
sirfredperry
Josiah Maiestas
bogbrush
legendkillar
laverfan
Tenez
FedsFan
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

WTF - Draw Announced!! Empty WTF - Draw Announced!!

Post by FedsFan Tue 15 Nov 2011, 12:56 pm

The draw has just been made and is as follows-

Group A
Djokovic
Murray
Ferrer
Berdych

Group B
Nadal
Federer
Tsonga
Fish

Good draw for Murray and Djokovic considering they have a couple of niggling injuries and are not up against any serious contenders. Ferrer and Berdych I doubt would be a real threat. I expect both top seeds to reach the semis undefeated. Murray has done well to avoid his bogeyman, Nadal, who has always been a huge stumbling block when fully fit.

Group B seems the more interesting draw. Federer unlucky to get his greatest rival and Tsonga who has had the better of him this year too. This one to me is a tough one to call. I expect Nadal to make the semis and the second spot to be between Fed/Tsonga as I cannot pick one of them here.

What are your thoughts?

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

WTF - Draw Announced!! Empty Re: WTF - Draw Announced!!

Post by Tenez Tue 15 Nov 2011, 1:03 pm

That's actually the way wanted it.

Though there was 1/2 chance that Nadal and Federer were in the same group, I would not be surprised if it was rigged again to make sure we have our Fedal match.

The reason I am pleased is that in 6 years of their rivavlry, never those 2 played without maximum pressure. There in London they coudl play without having to have detrimental repercussion.

I also wanted to see a Djoko/Murray though I doubt we will have a great match there.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 15 Nov 2011, 1:05 pm

Group A may end up being Murray and Berdych
Group B may end up being Federer and Tsonga.

Nadal is injured, so is Djokovic and Fish.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue 15 Nov 2011, 1:06 pm

Now that is an interesting draw. This is my prediction (Please don't shoot me)

Group A
Djokovic
Berdych

Murray
Ferrer

Group B
Federer
Tsonga

Nadal
Fish

I know it seems far-fetched, by I think Tsonga being Nadal's group is bad for him. Federer is the form man and I think the guy to beat.

I think Murray is struggling and I think a faster court helps Berdych even more. I think Berdych will win their match up.

Semi's

Djokovic v Tsonga

Federer v Berdych

Final

Tsonga v Federer

I will now run and hide!! Run

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 15 Nov 2011, 1:08 pm

Actually this is the most probable way to get a Fedal final.

I guess this is the final match of the group so you probably don't get your zero-pressure match, Tenez.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Tue 15 Nov 2011, 1:10 pm

From a pure Fed fan point of view, this draw seems a nightmare. Its not just Nadal he will have to contend with as he has Tsonga too. Even if Fed brings his AAA game when playing Nadal he always ties himself up in knots. I also think this time round Tsonga may exact some revenge for Sunday's defeat. Its going to be a touch and go situation for Federer.

I cannot see Nadal losing to either player in the group tbh. The only one who could maybe cause a problem is Tsonga but he is not the greatest tactician in my opinion.

As for Djoko and Murray, I think Murray will win. He is in great form and with Djoko's shoulder a major worry Murray should exploit that. Could this be Murray's year though?

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 15 Nov 2011, 1:13 pm

Well there's a shocker putting those two together.... i've just been made aware the draw maker has been given his P45...
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Tue 15 Nov 2011, 1:14 pm

laverfan wrote:Group A may end up being Murray and Berdych

Can we be sure Nadal is injured? We just had that bit of news in the press which is not anything concrete. Djoko on the other hand has actually skipped tournaments and retired injured which is evidence there is a problem. I maybe being very pessimistic here, but I really cannot see Fed in the final. More likely Murray/Nadal?

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue 15 Nov 2011, 1:18 pm

I am amazed of the people thinking the draw is poor for Federer???

I just have this feeling with Murray that he won't stop Berdych. It is the worst draw for Murray. I think Djokovic even if he isn't fully fit still has the defence to soak up Berdych, I don't think Murray can. Murray hasn't had a good year against Djoko and Berdych has beaten Murray this year and has a better H2H. My gut feeling is he won't get through. Would've preferred Murray with Nadal.

I think Federer has a good draw. Nadal hasn't beaten him indoors and Tsonga has the recent scars of the US Open and Paris. Tsonga v Nadal will be corker if it is for who qualifys

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue 15 Nov 2011, 1:23 pm

FedsFan wrote:

Can we be sure Nadal is injured?

Of course. He is always injured. Don't you learn?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 15 Nov 2011, 1:23 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:Well there's a shocker putting those two together.... i've just been made aware the draw maker has been given his P45...

At least we can consign the stupid conspiracy theories to the dustbin. What a relief that is.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 15 Nov 2011, 1:25 pm

BBC seem only to be doing the afternoons for the round-robin part so expect that Murray will NOT be playing in the evenings. Also expect the BBC to say that it has no say in the scheduling !
Not sure if Rafa has ever beaten Rog at the year-end champs, so it could be that the world number two will not make the semis. At least he can't do any worse than 09 when he went setless.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 Nov 2011, 1:26 pm

Nadal's trainer has said that Rafa will have 'optimum' fitness in time for the WTF.

He only felt a slight niggle. I'm sure it's nothing that a little ice and rest wouldn't cure.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue 15 Nov 2011, 1:47 pm

emancipator wrote:Nadal's trainer has said that Rafa will have 'optimum' fitness in time for the WTF.

Does he mean "slam" fitness? That's scary!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue 15 Nov 2011, 1:58 pm

This looks best for Nadal to me - he is well rested (just like last year when he did very well) and his most dangerous opponent is nursing a shoulder injury.

Indoors at the WTF is the one remaining bastion of Fed's in the Fedal rivalry, I can hardly bare to watch their RR match, and if they were to face each other in the final as well it will be behind the sofa for me. As an habitual pessimist on his account I think that the group looks tough for Fed. He's going to have to serve very well (which he has done recently).

Berdych is likely to have one shocker, but as luck will have it probably not against Murray, and if Djoko is truly incapacitated at this level I can see Ferrer scampering out of the group with A. N. Other - probably Murray.

If Nadal gets out of his group I have him as the favourite.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 15 Nov 2011, 2:03 pm

Ferrer to "do" a Davydenko and win it. Stranger things have happened. Betting on the Spaniard might be the only way to make much money.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Tue 15 Nov 2011, 2:04 pm

legendkillar wrote:I am amazed of the people thinking the draw is poor for Federer???

I just have this feeling with Murray that he won't stop Berdych. It is the worst draw for Murray. I think Djokovic even if he isn't fully fit still has the defence to soak up Berdych, I don't think Murray can. Murray hasn't had a good year against Djoko and Berdych has beaten Murray this year and has a better H2H. My gut feeling is he won't get through. Would've preferred Murray with Nadal.

I think Federer has a good draw. Nadal hasn't beaten him indoors and Tsonga has the recent scars of the US Open and Paris. Tsonga v Nadal will be corker if it is for who qualifys

I can see the logic in what you say here. No one should be writing Berdych off against Murray after that Paris match. I think that the order of the matches may be crucial to how the Djokovic/Murray match pans out. That is with Djokovic's bad shoulder how will it hold up against a big hitter like Djokovic if he he to play Murray in his next match (rest day in between I know).

As for Federer. I think probably a good draw. It's not a knockout tournament and even if he were to lose to Nadal (don't think he will) he has 2 other matches to get to the semis where he can't meet Nadal.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Tue 15 Nov 2011, 2:05 pm

oops sorry meant a big hitter like Berdych.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue 15 Nov 2011, 2:11 pm

sirfredperry wrote:Ferrer to "do" a Davydenko and win it. Stranger things have happened. Betting on the Spaniard might be the only way to make much money.

Has Ferrer ever won v a higher seed than him? Davydenko was the opposite, he was kicking players above him but not fighting hard enough versus lower ranked players.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Tue 15 Nov 2011, 2:11 pm

Not a bad draw. Organizers hoping top 4 in SF.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue 15 Nov 2011, 2:20 pm

I think it will be intriguing to watch. This could be the stage for someone outside the top 4 to lay down a marker. For Berdych and Tsonga it is a big opportunity. I think when looking at the last player out of the big 4 to win it Davydenko and he didn't captialise on it. For Berdych and escpecially Tsonga what opportunities. The big 4 look more vulnerable now than ever going into a tournament.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 15 Nov 2011, 2:26 pm

Nadal and Federer in the same group. Pftt! Although its not all bad as we could still get what most want... A Nadal Federer final.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 15 Nov 2011, 2:35 pm

Davy probably did himself in that season. He had a nasty wrist injury, was out for a while and has never threatened to get back up there. Actually saw his WTF final v del Potty in 2009 and he played very well.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Tue 15 Nov 2011, 2:42 pm

Past results don't count. Just because Fed's beaten Nadal indoors does not mean it will happen again as that was a time Fed was cruising and Nadal was hopeless on h/c let alone indoor h/c.

This time its a test of mettle where Fed's concerned. If he wins this year that would be amazing. Nadal has been gearing up for this event. He wants it and is hungry for it and I cannot see him crashing out. His biggest rival is injured and Murray is carrying too much baggage just like Federer.

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 15 Nov 2011, 2:48 pm

As long as both Nadal and Federer win their other matches the result of their group stage match will not count for much. It will be an exhibition.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue 15 Nov 2011, 2:51 pm

hawkeye wrote:As long as both Nadal and Federer win their other matches the result of their group stage match will not count for much. It will be an exhibition.

Only if their match is the dead rubber in third, but the chances are that it won't be.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Tue 15 Nov 2011, 2:55 pm

Fedsfan - I agree that Nadal is hungry for this, hence his preparatory rest period. I certainly don't see him crashing out.

For me Nadal comes in as favourite, and as mentioned in another post I've rarely seen the intense look in his eyes as he had 'backstage' at the start of last year's Final .......

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue 15 Nov 2011, 3:05 pm

I think a lot of people are reading too much into the 'break' Nadal has had. I don't make him favourite. He is behind Federer, Djokovic, Murray and even Tsonga for title in my book.

I mean grief if titles were won by 'looks in eyes' Youzhny would've bagged one just for drawing blood in one match.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Tue 15 Nov 2011, 3:14 pm

Very surprised to see you rate Rafa's prospects that low

Yep, agreed re Youzhny. He's one scary guy !! Erm

(but all I meant was that if I saw that look in Rafa's eyes ahead of an er 'exhibition' match it would have me wondering if he had suddenly become mentally unbalanced .....)

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue 15 Nov 2011, 3:21 pm

I rate his prospects low because he is not coming into this with any form at all. US Open and Tokyo defeats and not mention other finals he has last this year. 7 finals I think he has lost this year? I think that is a lot for any player not just of Rafa's stature to take and bounce back from.

It's like I said earlier the top 4 coming into this tournament for me, the first time in ages look vulnerable based on form. Look at Berdych and Tsonga. Both men for me who can upset the apple cart if they the top 4 don't come out guns blazing. There could be the scenario of Murray v Djokovic and Nadal v Federer matches being for qualification. I feel that could really happen.

I think some upsets could be on the cards. I think it was 2009 when Nadal crashed out in the RR.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Tue 15 Nov 2011, 3:27 pm

Fair enough, I can follow your thinking there. Especially on the matter of upsets.

Augurs for an intriguing tourney hopefully ........

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 15 Nov 2011, 3:58 pm

Tenez wrote:
FedsFan wrote:

warning warning Laugh

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 15 Nov 2011, 4:11 pm

1,3,5,7 vs. 2,4,6,8 = Perfect Evens and Odds. Cool

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 15 Nov 2011, 4:17 pm

as a Murray fan I'm actually quite pleased with that, though would have preferred Fish to Berdych. Murray's done OK against Djokovic this year (1-2 with one of the losses a last set tie-break) while despite Tokyo has a poor record against Nadal. Should beat Ferrer fairly comfortably.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Tue 15 Nov 2011, 4:36 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:as a Murray fan I'm actually quite pleased with that, though would have preferred Fish to Berdych. Murray's done OK against Djokovic this year (1-2 with one of the losses a last set tie-break) while despite Tokyo has a poor record against Nadal. Should beat Ferrer fairly comfortably.

The one win was through retirement so really that cannot be counted as a 1-2. That said he had him in Rome and that was the closest Djoko came to losing considering he won in straights against the Clay King. I think Djoko and Murray should be very pleased with their draw. Couldn't be a more straightforward one. Lets not forget Murray could have beaten Berdych in Paris. It was not as if he was playing second fiddle there.

Personally Group B seems to be the more interesting. Nadal is rested and ready to go. Maybe a little rusty in the first RR match and if its against a player like Fish that should be winnable. Perhaps if its against Tsonga, he may have a fight on his hands but again, you don't know which Tsonga will turn up.

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 15 Nov 2011, 4:49 pm

yeah Djokovic retired when losing 6-4 3-0 laughing

sorry but counts as a win in my book...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Positively 4th Street Tue 15 Nov 2011, 5:02 pm

FedsFan wrote:Personally Group B seems to be the more interesting. Nadal is rested and ready to go. Maybe a little rusty in the first RR match and if its against a player like Fish that should be winnable. Perhaps if its against Tsonga, he may have a fight on his hands but again, you don't know which Tsonga will turn up.

Nadal is up against Fish first, and I agree with you that this is he best scenario for him. Federer is the favourite in my book, he's in form and is great indoors. Tall order for Nadal, last year may have been his best chance. Not sure he took time off solely to prepare for this event, I got the impression it was for the Davis Cup just as much.

Positively 4th Street

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue 15 Nov 2011, 5:03 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:yeah Djokovic retired when losing 6-4 3-0 laughing

sorry but counts as a win in my book...

Absolutely - tennis is a physical game and if you are fit enough to start but not fit enough to finish a match you've lost it. Quite rightly that's how the ATP and everyone else treats "RET".
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 Nov 2011, 5:09 pm

I don't buy the idea that Nadal took time off to prepare for the DC, moreso than the WTF.

What nonsense. How much preparation does he need to play two matches on clay in Spain?

With zero preparation he wiped the floor with the french players in the last DC tie.

The Argies are no sterner.

Clearly he wants the WTF. He took time off to prepare for it again just like he did last year. Frankly he'd be stupid not to focus 100% on the WTF, and I don't think he is stupid.

What difference will a further DC have on his legacy? He's already got 2 or 3 and he's been quite happy to give it a complete miss in previous seasons.

Just sounds like preparing the excuses incase things don't go to plan.

Davis Cups and phantom injuries.. Bah! Humbug!

ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Tue 15 Nov 2011, 5:11 pm

Group B playing Sunday. Group A Monday. Was there a draw for that as it will give the Group B semi-finalists a day off before the semis. I know that it has to happen one way or another but am interested to know how it is decided.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue 15 Nov 2011, 5:12 pm

Very good and balanced draw...can't wait, does anyone know who plays on the opening evening session?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue 15 Nov 2011, 5:13 pm

Calder106 wrote:Group B playing Sunday. Group A Monday. Was there a draw for that as it will give the Group B semi-finalists a day off before the semis. I know that it has to happen one way or another but am interested to know how it is decided.

just my luck!!!!! got the ticket For Sunday, please let it not be a Nadal Fish match, PLEEEEEEEEEASEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 Nov 2011, 5:14 pm

Nadal-fish is the evening match.

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue 15 Nov 2011, 5:14 pm

Tenez wrote:
FedsFan wrote:

you forgot the ego, Tenez....

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue 15 Nov 2011, 5:15 pm

emancipator wrote:Nadal-fish is the evening match.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO furious

Please tell me you were joking, please!!!! Otherwise, I am going to combust mad

Last edited by noleisthebest on Tue 15 Nov 2011, 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue 15 Nov 2011, 5:16 pm

Nadal wants the WTF and this maybe as good a chance as he's going to get with Djoko not at 100% - as emancipator points out this is hte second year running when his preparation involves a 6 week rest.

The winner of the Fedal group will probably have the 2nd Semi-Final late on Saturday Evening, something that neither of them would particularly want.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Tue 15 Nov 2011, 5:35 pm

noleisthebest wrote:

Unfortunately not. Check the OOP. You never know, Fish may surprise us all as he did in Montreal Very Happy

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue 15 Nov 2011, 5:40 pm

FedsFan wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:

Unfortunately not. Check the OOP. You never know, Fish may surprise us all as he did in Montreal Very Happy

What have I done to deserve such misery.... Sad

Last edited by noleisthebest on Tue 15 Nov 2011, 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 15 Nov 2011, 5:41 pm

order of play

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue 15 Nov 2011, 5:42 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:order of play
thanks, got it as soon as I posted the question Doh

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next