The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Let's get rid of the DRAW!!!!!!

+9
horizontalhero
Super D Boon
Steffan
TopHat24/7
88Chris05
Valero's Conscience
Union Cane
azania
TRUSSMAN66
13 posters

Go down

Let's get rid of the DRAW!!!!!! Empty Let's get rid of the DRAW!!!!!!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 22 Feb 2012, 11:19 am

Let's face it the draw is the most pointless exercise in Boxing...nothing is decided and you feel that you have wasted a precious hour of your life (especially if it is a garbage fight) ...It's also a pre-determined ploy from dodgy promoters to keep fighters marketable and get lot's of money for a return fight!!!!

So why not do away with the draw......

If the scores are level we go to punches landed on compubox.....

Hence the crowd and the public are all happy because we have a winner..

LET'S GET RID OF THE DRAW!!!!!!!!! hooray...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Let's get rid of the DRAW!!!!!! Empty Re: Let's get rid of the DRAW!!!!!!

Post by azania Wed 22 Feb 2012, 11:22 am

Compubox doesn't reflect who throws the better shots. 5 pitter patter punches of one power punch that lands cleanly. Which is the more effective?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 22 Feb 2012, 11:25 am

Look it's better than a draw........for me okay!!

nothing is perfect in this world..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 22 Feb 2012, 11:32 am

Look Az I'm willing to put our recent arguments behind us and get back to talking Boxing in the interests of fairplay and this 606 site..

It's all a bit silly..Let's get rid of the DRAW!!!!!! 3610695981

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 22 Feb 2012, 11:35 am

never had any issues with you or anyone. I have strongly held views on many subjects, enjoy pushing the envelope, but always respect the opinions of others (even though if they differ from mine they are wrong Very Happy ). Respect is a two way street.

Peace thumbsup

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed 22 Feb 2012, 11:41 am

Sometimes a draw is the right result though, surely? If neither guy deserves the win, or if neither guy deserves to lose, call it a draw and have the inevitable re-match.

I remember when Gary Lineker played in Japan, if a game was level after 90 minutes they would have a penalty shoot out. In league games. Crackers.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 22 Feb 2012, 11:52 am

Don't think a draw is ever a right result....Any round isn't really ever even is it??..and someone has always landed more punches..

for sure like Az say's the better punches don't always count but hey..Maybe it would lead to better workrates....

Leads to lazy scoring......remember 148-147 duran-Leonard 1..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 22 Feb 2012, 11:59 am

I'd rather a draw than an even fight going to the promoter's cash cow.

Agreed that compubox is misleading as anything other than a jab is deemed a power shot when that 'power shot' could of had less power than a jab!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 22 Feb 2012, 12:04 pm

Yes but a draw often goes to the Promter's cash cow!!!!

Chavez-Whittaker..............

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 22 Feb 2012, 12:15 pm

I agree that the draw is always an annoyance, Truss, but I shudder at the thought of ever using compubox as a way of deciding the outcome of a fight under any circumstance or for any reason! Not my cup of tea, that one.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 22 Feb 2012, 12:30 pm

If it's a draw they should clear the ring, hand each fighter a camera tripod stand and let them fight to the death.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 22 Feb 2012, 12:46 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:If it's a draw they should clear the ring, hand each fighter a camera tripod stand and let them fight to the death
I really hope this rule comes in before Froch v Bute....and Bute is a black belt in 'Tripodarati'

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 22 Feb 2012, 12:54 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Yes but a draw often goes to the Promter's cash cow!!!!

I must admit from memory, more draws seem to be given for dodgy decisions than actual deserved draws!

I like compubox as it's interesting to review and gives an indication how accurate and busy someone has been but don't think it's detailed enough to score a fight.

Obviously if you reviewed the Pac vs Marg compubox stats it would give a clear indication of the winner but can be misleading i.e. if you review the Pac vs JMM 3 fight stats.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 22 Feb 2012, 1:04 pm

I hate to say it (is sobbing as we speak) but I agree with Truss. The draw serves no purpose in a sport where we need winners and losers to progress/deprogress fighters onto the next fight

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Wed 22 Feb 2012, 1:08 pm

The draw is good because we need more 10/10 rounds to avoid the blatant corruption of scoring close rounds always in favour of the home champion.

Take it like this:

Challenger wins 5 rounds clearly
Champion wins 3 rounds clearly.
4 rounds are close and should be awarded 10/10 but they can't do that anymore, so guess what, we'll score tham all to the champion. Champion wins 7-5.

It's absolute rubbish, if anything I would prefer to see a draw than a dodgy SD win for a champ that's just been battered (eg. Campillo v Cloud) and gets all subjective rounds given to him.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 22 Feb 2012, 1:10 pm

Super D Boon wrote:a dodgy SD win for a champ that's just been battered (eg. Campillo v Cloud) and gets all subjective rounds given to him.
Iv only seen highlights so far but from what I seen Cloud was getting well beaten. First and worst robbery of 2012 they reckon

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Wed 22 Feb 2012, 1:11 pm

Steffan wrote:
Super D Boon wrote:a dodgy SD win for a champ that's just been battered (eg. Campillo v Cloud) and gets all subjective rounds given to him.
Iv only seen highlights so far but from what I seen Cloud was getting well beaten. First and worst robbery of 2012 they reckon

Rest assured Steff there will be plenty more robberies to look forward to this year if 2011 is anything to go by!

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Fri 24 Feb 2012, 12:14 am

Sorry Truss, but for me getting rid of the draw is getting rid of a legitimate result. No draws could lead to even more disputed decisions and endless X was robbed against Y arguements. If each guys wins 6 of 12 by 10-9 it must be draw, no going to stats. What I would like to see is the 10 point must system used more effectively- at present really close rounds attract 10-9 scores and so do some rounds where one guys has won by a country mile. Leonard v Hearns 1 is a good example for me. Leonard won his rounds way more conviningly than Hearns won his (in my opinion) but Hearns was ahead as he won more of them. Why not let the 10 point must more accurately reflect what happens in the roundd and see more 10-8 and even 10-7 rounds

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 24 Feb 2012, 2:45 pm

I've been thinking there should probably be more draws. I've seen countless fights where neither man was defeated, but one of them still gets an L in the collumn and we know how valuable the undefeated record is these days.

Look at a fight like Taylor v Hopkins. Taylor got the win, but was Hopkins actually defeated? Fights like that, for what they show us may well be scored even because that's what the fight is. There are fights where you can watch the whole thing, draw no conclusion as to who is superior but one of them still has to lose.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Fri 24 Feb 2012, 3:42 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Yes but a draw often goes to the Promter's cash cow!!!!

Not the best example, as if it went to compubox, I'd guarentee that Chavez threw more leather, not really a judge of who bossed the fight though.

But that withstanding, I don't think it's the worst idea you've had, The fact that a fight could go to copubox would mean you should see more aggression.

But ideally I'd settle for fair judging, win, lose or draw.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Fri 24 Feb 2012, 3:52 pm

Off the top of my head I'm thinking that there were less draws under the 15 round system. I could be wrong though. However, I do remember years ago Don King talking about bringing back 15 rounders because he felt 12 rounds led to more draws. Does anyone have any stats on the amount of draws per fight we've had in title fights since they were cut from 15 rounds to 12 rounds?

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 24 Feb 2012, 3:56 pm

Is more than possible Atila, but guess basic maths suggests 15 rounders or any odd number of rounds would be less likely to end in a draw because if you assume no knockdowns and no drawn rounds has to be a winner over an odd number. There is the possibility though I have got this massively wrong though, was always terrible at maths.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down