The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lets be honest!

+12
TopHat24/7
AlexHuckerby
manos de piedra
J.Benson II
John Bloody Wayne
tunes666
BoxingFan88
Rowley
azania
horizontalhero
Gordy
ONETWOFOREVER
16 posters

Go down

Lets be honest! Empty Lets be honest!

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 13 Aug 2012, 9:57 pm

Anthony Joshua lost 2 fights during the Olympics. The first fight against Savon was questionable and the final against a very poor Italian was judged wrongly. Amature boxing is all about accuracy and the Italian landed the cleaner shots. Still well done to the big guy but we have to be honest here don't we.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Lets be honest! Empty Re: Lets be honest!

Post by Gordy Mon 13 Aug 2012, 10:03 pm

They were close fights but Joshua did enough to win them. Lennox Lewis wrote an interesting article on the BBC explaining how Joshua won the first fight. I think people need to get real about him though in terms of how he will do as a pro if he goes pro. He was only winning those amateur fights very narrowly by a point or two at most and the pros is going to be tougher. Fights will be longer and he will not have protective headgear. Audley Harrison won his Olympic gold medal even more easily than Joshua did and look at him. A complete hype job in the pros. I agree with you that people need to be honest about his chances before starting to overhype him and calling him the next Lewis. What he has in his favour in the heavyweight division is terrible at the moment.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Mon 13 Aug 2012, 10:05 pm

Gordy wrote:They were close fights but Joshua did enough to win them. Lennox Lewis wrote an interesting article on the BBC explaining how Joshua won the first fight. I think people need to get real about him though in terms of how he will do as a pro if he goes pro. He was only winning those amateur fights very narrowly by a point or two at most and the pros is going to be tougher. Fights will be longer and he will not have protective headgear. Audley Harrison won his Olympic gold medal even more easily than Joshua did and look at him. A complete hype job in the pros. I agree with you that people need to be honest about his chances before starting to overhype him and calling him the next Lewis. What he has in his favour in the heavyweight division is terrible at the moment.

Well if Lennox said so, it must be true....

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 13 Aug 2012, 10:10 pm

Did anyone see the post fight interview with Lennox and Khan after the Joshua fight. Lennox was asked to explain the amature boxing scoring rules and he was lost for words the man had no clue. I wonder how much the BBC was paying him to be an 'expert' and the guy has no idea what he was talking about.

Khan had to interject and explain for him.

SHOCKING......but extreamly funny.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 13 Aug 2012, 10:10 pm

Don't get diverted.

The first fight with Savon was close. But I thought Savon edged it. I thought he beat the Italian Cop (who beat Price easily) in the final imo.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Mon 13 Aug 2012, 10:13 pm

azania wrote:Don't get diverted.

The first fight with Savon was close. But I thought Savon edged it. I thought he beat the Italian Cop (who beat Price easily) in the final imo.

I had forgotten that- I guess that make Joshua the next Lennox Lewis instead of price.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 13 Aug 2012, 10:14 pm

horizontalhero wrote:
azania wrote:Don't get diverted.

I had forgotten that- I guess that make Joshua the next Lennox Lewis instead of price.

Joshua is better than Lewis, Lewis needed two olympics to win gold. Joshua did it the first time he tried.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon 13 Aug 2012, 10:21 pm

Joshua definitely beat the Italian, I thought he lost against Savon.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Mon 13 Aug 2012, 10:39 pm

I think Joshua would beat Price but lets be real neither of them are the next Lennox Lewis. This is the column Lewis did explaining how Joshua beat Savon.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19089818

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Mon 13 Aug 2012, 11:43 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:and the final against a very poor Italian was judged wrongly.
Try the final against the Defending Olimpic champ who crushed David Price in the semi's. And it was a very close fight.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 14 Aug 2012, 11:49 am

I missed the super heavyweight final, anyone know where I can see a replay? Youtube failed me but I read in a few places it was a blatant robbery. Sometimes things get blown out of proportion though.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Tue 14 Aug 2012, 1:43 pm

I thought he lost to Savon and beat Camarelle in a close fight. His fight in the semi's against the lanky Kazak was also fairly tight.

I find amateur boxing really hard to score though.

The Price/Joshua comparisons are a little misleading as Price fought a far better version of Camarelle than Joshua did. The Italians form has been patchy since Beijing.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 14 Aug 2012, 1:48 pm

I thought he lost to Savon but probably did enough to win the rest (although I think Camarelle blew the final to a large extent).

Savon actually impressed me the most in his one fight but overall I didnt think the quality was great. Its ok for young guys upcoming with alot potential to realise but the likes of Camarelle I though was extremelly poor. No way that guy would last in the pro ranks. He looked prizefighter standard in his semi final.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 14 Aug 2012, 1:56 pm

Cammarelle was at one stage extremely good, I get a feeling he took his foot off the gas since Beijing.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Tue 14 Aug 2012, 2:12 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Cammarelle was at one stage extremely good, I get a feeling he took his foot off the gas since Beijing.

He's been plagued with injuries since Beijing. He was very good for the most part of last decade.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 14 Aug 2012, 4:07 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:I missed the super heavyweight final, anyone know where I can see a replay? Youtube failed me but I read in a few places it was a blatant robbery. Sometimes things get blown out of proportion though.

iPlayer?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 14 Aug 2012, 4:44 pm

unfortunately missed the final, seems like its twice he's beaten camarelle in close fights. someone mentioned that price was stopped prematurely against camarelle last time out... by pro standards yes, but he was getting his behind handed to him on a platter. A better version of camarelle maybe, but this version still got to the olympic final, so from that perspective you have to give joshua credit.

personally, no matter what scoring system you use (other than korean olympics perhaps), i can't see how he got past savon though

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Wed 15 Aug 2012, 12:04 pm

Out of all the British boxers sent he was the worst for me. Lucked out in pretty much all his fights and happened to win in a very low standard of competition. He's a big strong guy but from what I see he is low quality and his size is his only attribute. The Super Heavies at the Olympics have always been a bit ropey but that competition sucked and sucked hard. Its's never nice seeing mediocrity rise to the top. OK

The long jump was very poor too! Sorry wrong sport!

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 15 Aug 2012, 12:53 pm

Performed better in Freddie Evans. At least he turned up to his final fight rather than just waiting 9 minutes to pick up a silver medal.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Wed 15 Aug 2012, 1:13 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Performed better in Freddie Evans. At least he turned up to his final fight rather than just waiting 9 minutes to pick up a silver medal.

agreed

Oh whomever mentioned that about Lennox needing 2 Olympics, I see what you did there. Genius.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 15 Aug 2012, 1:21 pm

JabMachineMK2 wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:Performed better in Freddie Evans. At least he turned up to his final fight rather than just waiting 9 minutes to pick up a silver medal.

agreed

Oh whomever mentioned that about Lennox needing 2 Olympics, I see what you did there. Genius.

Very kind of you, am confident enough in my own wit and erudition to not really need the validation but let's be honest it never hurts does it.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Wed 15 Aug 2012, 1:31 pm

Not at all.

I agree of course, plus Joshua represented the right country all along - I think he'll be bigger than Lewis and have a much better following both sides of the atlantic.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Wed 15 Aug 2012, 5:41 pm

What's this got to do with Freddie Evans

I think all the non medallists Brits were better than Joshua. What I saw of the super heavies makes me think the pro heavy game isn't half as bad as people make out. And to compare this Joshua to Lennox Lewis makes me feel the world has finally gone mad! picard

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Wed 15 Aug 2012, 7:42 pm

Super D Boon wrote:

I think all the non medallists Brits were better than Joshua. What I saw of the super heavies makes me think the pro heavy game isn't half as bad as people make out. And to compare this Joshua to Lennox Lewis makes me feel the world has finally gone mad! picard

Finally! A post that makes sense. I couldnt agree more. I dont know what that guys problem is but he is incapable of debating like an adult.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Wed 15 Aug 2012, 7:48 pm

Yeah, fancy comparing Joshua to Lewis. Both gold medalist, both heavy weights and both British.

What are people thinking.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Thu 16 Aug 2012, 12:08 am

Gordy wrote:
Super D Boon wrote:

Finally! A post that makes sense. I couldnt agree more. I dont know what that guys problem is but he is incapable of debating like an adult.

I'd be careful who you insult here Gordy, TopHat is in my opinion and I'm sure plenty of other posters opinions a very valuable and intelligent poster who has actually got boxing knowledge outside of Lennox Lewis and Sky Sports unlike some I could mention.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 16 Aug 2012, 9:14 am

Gordy wrote:
Super D Boon wrote:

Pot kettle black.....?

Incapable of debating like a adult? This from a man that hasn't replied to a post/question once despite numerous attempts to engage. If you want a debate, reply, and we can enter into adult discourse. I would say intelligent adult discourse but it's clear from your retarded posts you are incapable of that.

I will continue follow you round this website and spam every post you put until you stop being a Muppet. Could be a long time....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 16 Aug 2012, 9:17 am

Super D Boon wrote:

Selby wasn't better either. Looked out of his depth to be honest.

Only 'non-medallist' Brit that looked good, and was terribly unfortunate, was Stalker.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down