The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nicky Barmby appointed Caretaker Manager at Hull City

2 posters

Go down

Nicky Barmby appointed Caretaker Manager at Hull City Empty Nicky Barmby appointed Caretaker Manager at Hull City

Post by Kenny Tue 15 Nov 2011, 2:46 pm

NICK Barmby has been backed to lead his home-town club to success following his shock appointment as Hull City's caretaker boss.

Former playing colleagues, managers and pundits say the 37-year-old has always been "destined" to become manager of City

And despite his lack of experience, they say his knowledge of the game, and his legendary status in the city, will give him every chance of success.

"Nick knows the club inside out and he will have the immediate respect of the players because of the impressive CV he has," said former team-mate and City hero Dean Windass.

"I'm not surprised by his appointment because he has a lot of football intelligence. I always knew he would be manager one day because he always liked that side of things."

Barmby will take on the role of caretaker manager of the Tigers today with a view to being handed the role permanently.

His appointment comes as something of a shock as former boss Warren Joyce had been widely expected to take charge.

However, he opted to remain as reserve coach at Manchester United yesterday, leading to City placing Barmby in temporary charge, with a view to the move becoming permanent.

And Iain Dowie, the last caretaker manager at the club between Phil Brown and Nigel Pearson, says Barmby's status as a fans' favourite makes him a good choice.

"What is good for Nick as he faces the challenge is the fact he will be afforded a period of grace because of what he has done as a player in the game and at Hull City," Dowie said.

"He has to make that move from player to manager, but he's already on the coaching staff at Hull and he has an advantage of living in the area."

Mail pundit Peter Swan said: "Barmby may be a surprise appointment but he is Hull City through and through and there is no doubting his football knowledge.

"Hopefully, that will help him take the Tigers to promotion and we all hope he does well and keeps the momentum going at the KC."

City players were informed of Barmby's appointment yesterday and he will take charge of his first game when the Tigers head to Derby County in the Championship on Saturday.

It is hoped Barmby's promotion will provide the continuity to keep City's bright start to the campaign on course. He will be assisted by development coach Stuart Watkiss and another experienced number two, set to be unveiled today.

Barmby will become City's youngest manager since Joyce led the Tigers to the Great Escape in 1998-99 and the first Hull-born boss in the post-War years.

The former England international will fill the void left by Nigel Pearson, who is finally expected to be unveiled as Leicester boss today.

Pearson vacated the City hotseat once the Foxes declared an interest in luring him back to the East Midlands 10 days ago. Although a settlement package took time to be agreed, the final details have now been resolved.

Pearson will take his assistants Craig Shakespeare and Steve Walsh to the King Power Stadium and formally bring an end to his 16-month reign in charge of the Tigers.
scource Hull Daily Mail
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Nicky Barmby appointed Caretaker Manager at Hull City Empty Re: Nicky Barmby appointed Caretaker Manager at Hull City

Post by Guest Tue 15 Nov 2011, 7:02 pm

lol i thought he was still playing Doh

Back to top Go down

Nicky Barmby appointed Caretaker Manager at Hull City Empty Re: Nicky Barmby appointed Caretaker Manager at Hull City

Post by Kenny Tue 15 Nov 2011, 7:05 pm

He is still playing CF , i think he's been appointed to give the board time to see were Hull go next . If Barnby is successful then he will probably get the job fulltime if things start to look dodgy then the board will have had time to access who the right manager will be .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed 16 Nov 2011, 2:09 am

Shocked by this appointment.

Would have preferred an experinced boss Like O'Driscoll for a few years. with Barmby being his assistant then stepping up.

Good luck to him, though with this sqaud he should be alright, who knows we may start playing attacking football for a change.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Wed 16 Nov 2011, 9:49 am

Hope he brings someone with some experience as assistant manager
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 Nov 2011, 10:54 am

its not permanent just yet, so might be trying to find someone with suitable expereince

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed 16 Nov 2011, 4:36 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:its not permanent just yet, so might be trying to find someone with suitable expereince

The way City do things, if he wins a couple of games it will be. I'm not saying it won't work, and good luck to Nick, but with the championship being a close division it seems a risky move.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Wed 16 Nov 2011, 4:39 pm

The talk on Radio Humberside is that they will try and bring Brian Horton in as assistant . Not sure about that
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed 16 Nov 2011, 6:55 pm

KingKenny7Heaven wrote:The talk on Radio Humberside is that they will try and bring Brian Horton in as assistant . Not sure about that

God i hope not, means he'll have been manager or assistant about 10 times dosn't it. Plus i thought he is assistant at Preston, we should go in a completly new direction. And Horton isn't it.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Mon 21 Nov 2011, 2:06 pm

City have appointed ex Southampton manager as first team coach .

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15795809.stm
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down