The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship

+13
Doc
JAS
Tiler76
kwinigolfer
drive4show
BlueCoverman
SmithersJones
MustPuttBetter
navyblueshorts
LadyPutt
super_realist
raycastleunited
theeldestboy
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship Empty Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship

Post by theeldestboy Thu 17 Nov 2011, 9:54 am

From Associated Press and Detroit News

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates — Tiger Woods won't be starting his 2012 season at Torrey Pines. Instead of his traditional PGA Tour start in San Diego, Woods has agreed to play in a tournament in Abu Dhabi.

The former top-ranked golfer will play in the Jan. 26-29 Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship along with current No. 1 Luke Donald and defending champion Martin Kaymer, Abu Dhabi organizers said Wednesday.

The move is somewhat surprising for Woods, taking appearance money for the European Tour event instead of playing what he considers one of his favorite PGA Tour courses. He's won seven times at Torrey Pines as a pro, including his 14th and last major at the 2008 U.S. Open.

Woods has been starting his season at Torrey Pines, when healthy, since 2006. He missed the 2009 and 2010 tournaments because of injuries. His five-tournament winning streak at Torrey Pines ended Jan. 30 when he shot a 75 and tied for 44th. He had never finished outside the top 10 at Torrey Pines, and it was his worst start to his golf season since he turned pro.

In the statement on Woods' website announcing his participation Wednesday, he said he's interested in visiting new places.

"I'm looking forward to 2012 and what I hope will be a great year of golf for me," Woods said. "I've always enjoyed playing in HSBC events around the world, so I have been interested in including the Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship in my schedule for some time."

Adding Woods is a coup for Abu Dhabi in its rivalry with the Dubai Desert Classic, where Woods has been a mainstay for years. Tournament manager Faisal al-Sheikh boasted that the "giants of golf" are coming to Abu Dhabi.

In last February's Desert Classic, Woods tied for 20th

I went to last year’s AD Championship. It’s a fantastic tournament on a beautiful course, and 2nd home to Martin Kaymer. He romped to victory in 2011, his 3rd win in the tournament. 2011 also saw Phil Mickelson make the journey to the Middle East. It was great to watch him in action, a real priviledge. As all 4 major trophy winners were present, I was lucky enough to have my photo taken with the trophys. I’m sure forum rules state that we can’t post pictures but this one’s great, so I’m going to. Blimey, I hear you cry, isn’t theeldestboy young?

Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship 166805_491410195865_721805865_6629595_3694880_n

Other confirmed entrants this year are Jason Day and KJ Choi, and Keegan Bradley is also rumoured to be in the field.

Can’t wait, it’s going to be a cracker!
theeldestboy
theeldestboy

Back to top Go down

Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship Empty Re: Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship

Post by raycastleunited Thu 17 Nov 2011, 11:05 am

tut tut, jeans and trainers on a golf course, I can sense the rage building on the forum!

When I went to the Open earlier this year, it appeared that golf shoes were de rigeur for spectators. Maybe they were just prepared for a late invitation to play.

Good photo by the way!

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by theeldestboy Thu 17 Nov 2011, 11:12 am

raycastleunited wrote:tut tut, jeans and trainers on a golf course, I can sense the rage building on the forum!

When I went to the Open earlier this year, it appeared that golf shoes were de rigeur for spectators. Maybe they were just prepared for a late invitation to play.

Good photo by the way!

Yes, i am already preparing myself for a barage of abuse from the golfing snobs! At the Dubai Desert Classic you'd be forgiven for thinking that half the spectators were taking part! Honestly, people we turning up in golf shoes, golf shorts, golf t-shirt, cap...the only thing they were missing was clubs! I mean, honestly...why? If you go watch the swimming, you don't turn up in speedo's, right, and at the formula 1 last week i don't recall anyone sitting there in full flame-proof overalls and helmet.
theeldestboy
theeldestboy

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 17 Nov 2011, 11:17 am

I'm with you on that Eldest. People wearing golf clothing for spectating is very sad, especially in Dubai where there is no excuse for wearing golf shoes to keep your feet dry. Only thing sadder is grown men wearing football shirts in public especially with names on the back

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Thu 17 Nov 2011, 11:24 am

super_realist wrote:I'm with you on that Eldest. People wearing golf clothing for spectating is very sad, especially in Dubai where there is no excuse for wearing golf shoes to keep your feet dry. Only thing sadder is grown men wearing football shirts in public especially with names on the back

thumbsup laughing Pathetic is the only word that springs to mind.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 17 Nov 2011, 11:28 am

theeldestboy wrote:...If you go watch the swimming, you don't turn up in speedo's, right, and at the formula 1 last week i don't recall anyone sitting there in full flame-proof overalls and helmet.
laughing A very good point.

Re. Woods et al, I wonder how much appearance money he/they are coining in? Am I the only one who thinks appearance money stinks to high Heavens?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 17 Nov 2011, 11:32 am

I wouldn't have thought you were Navy. No need for appearance money in any sport.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu 17 Nov 2011, 11:43 am

LadyPutt wrote:
super_realist wrote:I'm with you on that Eldest. People wearing golf clothing for spectating is very sad, especially in Dubai where there is no excuse for wearing golf shoes to keep your feet dry. Only thing sadder is grown men wearing football shirts in public especially with names on the back

Ha ha, agreed!
It cracks me up when you go into the chip shop in the evening and see 40 year old men in Man Utd shirts with shin pads on and their socks pulled all the way up!! Laugh
Who trains in pads anyway?!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 17 Nov 2011, 11:47 am

There is one thing sadder than grown men wearing football shirts... and that is grown men wearing the skin tight England rugby shirts. Lycra stretched around beer gut is not a good look down the pub.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu 17 Nov 2011, 12:04 pm

I'm sat here in a golf shirt now. Is that sad?
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Thu 17 Nov 2011, 12:32 pm

I'm sat here in a collar and tie, now that's sad...

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 17 Nov 2011, 12:34 pm

I think the Rugby Club dress code of Blazers and Slacks is a very sad look.

It's like a tribute to Nicholas Parson's.

Ridiculous.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by theeldestboy Thu 17 Nov 2011, 12:38 pm

Part of the reason i'm wearing jeans and a sweater in that photo is because, unusually for the UAE, it was pi55ing hard with rain and freezing cold that day!

What you also can't see from the picture is the armed guard stood just out of shot. Apart from the Masters trophy which is a replica (the original always stays at Augusta), these are all the actual trophies, bought by the players themselves. Security was tight!
theeldestboy
theeldestboy

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 17 Nov 2011, 12:41 pm

Eldest, I think the Claret Jug stays in St.Andrews in the R&A or across the road in the museum. Pretty sure the player gets a replica.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by theeldestboy Thu 17 Nov 2011, 12:46 pm

super_realist wrote:Eldest, I think the Claret Jug stays in St.Andrews in the R&A or across the road in the museum. Pretty sure the player gets a replica.

You are technically righ SR. The original Claret Jug is kept on display at the R&A museum. Then there is the "current" trophy which is the "official" Claret Jug awarded to, and carried for 1 year by, the Open winner. Then there are the replicas - ones given to the winner as a memento and those that tour the world on marketing exercises. The one on display in my picture is the "current", owned by Louis Oosthuizen at the time and now in the hands of Dazza.
theeldestboy
theeldestboy

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 17 Nov 2011, 12:50 pm

Crumbs, they must need a full time engraver.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by theeldestboy Thu 17 Nov 2011, 12:52 pm

super_realist wrote:Crumbs, they must need a full time engraver.

I wonder how many times, in the history of any sport, an engraver has started his work prior to the actual end of a competition, only to see the "presumed" winner eventually lose?
theeldestboy
theeldestboy

Back to top Go down

Post by theeldestboy Thu 17 Nov 2011, 12:56 pm

Back to the OP, i am interested in the story of Tiger not starting his season as usual at Torrey Pines. I know they're talking about appearance money but surely that can't be all. It's bnot like he's short of a few bob.

Kwini, any inside scoop on this? Has this sent ripples around the PGA tour? What is the speculation and rumour doing the rounds over there?
theeldestboy
theeldestboy

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu 17 Nov 2011, 1:04 pm

Don't see what's wrong with walking round the course in golf shoes, excuse me if I'm wrong but isn't that what they are designed for?

Wearing flame proof overalls whilst sat in a stand isn't exactly a fair comparison, they are designed for protection in the event of a crash.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 17 Nov 2011, 1:05 pm

In something like the Abu Dhabi thing though when it's dry, hot and not at all dangerous I don't see the point.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 17 Nov 2011, 1:05 pm

drive4show wrote:Don't see what's wrong with walking round the course in golf shoes, excuse me if I'm wrong but isn't that what they are designed for?

Wearing flame proof overalls whilst sat in a stand isn't exactly a fair comparison, they are designed for protection in the event of a crash.

drive, would you wear golf shoes for a walk in the park?

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu 17 Nov 2011, 1:12 pm

No I wouldn't wear golf shoes to walk round the park, that's different. Would you wear football boots to walk round the park? The same one's you'd wear if you were kicking a football around the park?

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 17 Nov 2011, 1:21 pm

eldest,
I'll repeat the quote from pgatour.com, which I posted on my thread and most likely reflects, in deliberately chosen words, Commish Finchem's view on it:

"The move is quite surprising for Woods, taking appearance money for the European Tour event instead of playing what he considers one of his favourite PGA Tour courses."

Emphasis on the "TAKING APPEARANCE MONEY FOR THE E.T. EVENT."

Haven't seen too much editorial comment yet, but it should start rolling in today.

My two cents (seeing as I'm in the U.S.) worth:
1).BIG slap in the face to Dubai and, most especially, to Farmers Insurance who rescued the San Diego stop, and whose Zurich Insurance company also saved the New Orleans tournament from the scrap heap with its generous sponsorship. Finchem and Farmers must be livid.

2).Difficult to believe perhaps, but there's been a ton of speculation about Tiger's cashflow, what with his Elin settlement, huge new lavishly equipped mansion, and decline in mega-sponsorship deals. His design initiatives have seemingly fizzled, at unknown cost, and he's not getting any younger. Perhaps at this stage in his career he wants to stockpile the cash.

It's also a slap in the face to his fellow pros, but perhaps he'll replace San Diego in his early season schedule with Pebble, Phoenix or Riviera. Stranger things have happened but no-one should hold their breath.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiler76 Thu 17 Nov 2011, 1:25 pm

Great pic Eldest! Don't personally why anyone would give two hoots what someone chooses to wear whilst spectating....

Tiler76

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 17 Nov 2011, 1:32 pm

drive4show wrote:No I wouldn't wear golf shoes to walk round the park, that's different. Would you wear football boots to walk round the park? The same one's you'd wear if you were kicking a football around the park?

That's my point. You think it's absurd to wear football boots for a walk in the park. I would only wear football boots to play football, in the same way I would only wear golf shoes to play golf.

This has got me thinking. Does anyone wear golf shoes that aren't black or white? Football boots are now rarely black (eg I currently have a pair of silver slipper-type affairs). Would anybody buy coloured golf shoes?

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 17 Nov 2011, 1:38 pm

I would never wear anything other than black football boots. I think anything other than that just makes you look like a T1t, ditto if you pull your socks over your knees.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 17 Nov 2011, 1:45 pm

super_realist wrote:I would never wear anything other than black football boots. I think anything other than that just makes you look like a T1t, ditto if you pull your socks over your knees.

I used to think that, my full stud boots have always been black, but when it came to buying new astroturf trainers there were no black boots available anywhere. I just don't see them any more. very sad!

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 17 Nov 2011, 1:49 pm

Ray, I recommend Puma King. Best astro shoes I've ever had. They stopped making them for a while but they are back on the market.
Black and similar to the old Mundial of yesteryear.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 17 Nov 2011, 1:53 pm

super_realist wrote:Ray, I recommend Puma King. Best astro shoes I've ever had. They stopped making them for a while but they are back on the market.
Black and similar to the old Mundial of yesteryear.

cheers OK

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 17 Nov 2011, 1:56 pm

That is a surprising move, outside the Majors there are certain events that you expect Woods to play in his limited schedule and Torrey is definitely one of them. If its his own choice its a bold move to cast aside his comfort zone for a new challenge. Maybe it's pressure from sponsors to try and put the global back into global brand, we just don't know do we. Where's our resident Tiger expert when we need him Wink As Kwini says, perhaps he'll schedule in one of the other Californian stops on the Tour.

Eldest did you get my PM on the villa? Are you still interested?

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu 17 Nov 2011, 1:59 pm

Kwini, you may be on the right lines regarding cash flow. Big Appearnce fee plus any winnings all tax free. His 2012 earnings would under normal circumstances exceed this years, as he's been out etc. So a nice tax break foir next year based upon earnings, followed by a year with some earnings made in the UAE and hidden ......

DimTim obvousley peeved about it, Tiger's new management company ......

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 17 Nov 2011, 2:01 pm

Why are people so bothered by what others wear, if you feel comfortable enough wearing something then go for it.

Tigers decision can be money based and nothing else. He needs a bigger schedule wherever he chooses to play.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 17 Nov 2011, 2:07 pm

Mac,
I think you are missing the point. It was a question of why golfers feel the need to wear golf attire when spectating.
After all, people don't wear speedo's to watch swimming, lycra to watch cycling or a singlet and shorts to watch football.

It's almost as if they do it to "prove" they are a golfer.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 17 Nov 2011, 2:11 pm

Or maybe they like wearing that sort of clothing and it is not really up to you to question that. Comfortable trousers and a t shirt should not really cause you so much anguish. It may not be in vogue but who cares other than super?

It would be odd if Tigers new management went chasing the Asian dollar while at the same time McIlroy was aiming for the US dollar.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu 17 Nov 2011, 2:26 pm

super_realist wrote:I would never wear anything other than black football boots. I think anything other than that just makes you look like a T1t, ditto if you pull your socks over your knees.

Ditto ditto ditto

Copa Mundials or World Cups (if in studs which i rarely wore) are the only football foots worth having, and they only come in black - as far as i know and have seen.
Be aware people, if you are wearing boots that are not black, me and everyone else wearing black boots will try extra to kick you that little bit harder! thumbsup

As for the socks over the knees?! Please! I could cope with Henry doing it as he's French, but now you get people trying to copy John Terry doing it?! It just doesn't work!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu 17 Nov 2011, 2:35 pm

ray

guess I didn't make myself clear. The point about wearing golf shoes to walk round a golf course is that you are using them for what they are designed to do. Football boots are not designed as walking shoes.

Golf shoes are designed to provide grip when walking on wet/muddy/uneven surfaces, much safer than wearing trainers which are more likely to slip.

You often hear or read about spectators at golf events that have slipped and injured themselves. Laugh at me all you want for wearing my golf shoes, let me know which hospital you are in so I can send you a get well card Wink

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 17 Nov 2011, 2:41 pm

D4S, All shoes are designed for walking around in.
Golf shoes are primarily designed for PLAYING golf in.

When walking in the park, do you feel poorly shod for not having spikes or soft spikes in?
If you fall/slip whilst spectating on a golf course then there has to be something wrong with your coordination, not your footwear.

I don't care if people wear them to watch golf in, I just think it's completely unnecessary and consequently looks a bit sad.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu 17 Nov 2011, 2:51 pm

When I'm walking around a park in ordinary shoes, I avoid wet/muddy/slippery banks etc and stick to the flat areas.

Not always possible when walking around a golf course!

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 17 Nov 2011, 2:53 pm

I really dont understand why golfers are so obsessed with what other golfers wear? Is it loosing control over blacks and women that has forced you to focus on something like clothing?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 17 Nov 2011, 2:59 pm

Nobody is obsesssed Mac, it's a matter of confusion as to why golfers would choose to dress as a golfer simply to watch when it is completely unecessary. Golf clothes as functional as they are are a rather odd genre of attire. Would you turn up to work in a pair of white trousers, big buckle, spiked shoes and a turtle neck t shirt? No, everyone would think you were a kn0bhead. Now a golf course is the natural home of this somewhat odd style of clothing, but why would you wear it when you don't have to.
Would you dress in Tennis whites to go to Wimbledon?

On one hand people complain about the dress code of clubs, but the moment they can get on the course without having such a dress code enforced, they voluntarily don their very best golfing threads. All seems a bit odd.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu 17 Nov 2011, 3:21 pm

The "issue" with golf clothing is that with the exception of shoes, the rest of it is pretty much everyday clothing ie. chinos, polo shirts, pullovers etc.
That is the reason that so many people wear "golf clothing" when attending a golf event.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 17 Nov 2011, 3:32 pm

Exactly my point D4s, and even if that was not the case I don’t understand why super is so enthusiastic about putting his point across as if it either mattered or he could change something?

Does anyone know if Tiger has any link to HSBC?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 17 Nov 2011, 3:38 pm

drive4show wrote:The "issue" with golf clothing is that with the exception of shoes, the rest of it is pretty much everyday clothing ie. chinos, polo shirts, pullovers etc.
That is the reason that so many people wear "golf clothing" when attending a golf event.

Ok, but if I see you spectating with plus fours and a flat cap, I'll be the one laughing at you Wink

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 17 Nov 2011, 3:39 pm

McLaren wrote:Exactly my point D4s, and even if that was not the case I don’t understand why super is so enthusiastic about putting his point across as if it either mattered or he could change something?

So you've never walked down the street and thought " What the hell are they wearing that for?"

McLaren wrote:Does anyone know if Tiger has any link to HSBC?

With the exception of Keizo, I would have thought you were the person best placed to answer that. Laugh

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu 17 Nov 2011, 3:41 pm

super_realist wrote:
drive4show wrote:The "issue" with golf clothing is that with the exception of shoes, the rest of it is pretty much everyday clothing ie. chinos, polo shirts, pullovers etc.

Ok, but if I see you spectating with plus fours and a flat cap, I'll be the one laughing at you Wink

If you see me spectating in that gear, I'll buy you beer for a week! Laugh

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by No1yankee Thu 17 Nov 2011, 3:42 pm

LadyPutt wrote:

I saw a guy the other day with TREBLE on his manchester united jersey. Doh

No1yankee

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Thu 17 Nov 2011, 3:48 pm

super_realist wrote:If you fall/slip whilst spectating on a golf course then there has to be something wrong with your coordination, not your footwear.

I tripped over a TV cable at St. Andrews in 2005 - can't remember what I had on my feet that day.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Thu 17 Nov 2011, 3:51 pm

generally not fussed about what others wear, as i'm not a particularly saavy dresser myself - i would say that white belts are a bit naff though.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Thu 17 Nov 2011, 3:55 pm

I like to wear football boots to watch golf...

I think golf shoes are the best footwear for viewing golf. Most courses have natural slopes as grandstands and such. Walking across those in trainers and even some boots would be torture. What baffles me are the folk walking about town and even about the office with hiking boots on... eh?! Erm

Hopefully Tiger adds Riveria to his schedule next year.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 17 Nov 2011, 3:57 pm

I imagine Keizo sits in his parent's front room with black trousers and a red shirt on for the final round of tournaments when watching on TV. Laugh

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next