The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

European Tour - Abu Dhabi HSBC Tour Championship

+18
Skydriver
Shotrock
NedB-H
incontinentia
dynamark
Roller_Coaster
GPB
navyblueshorts
SmithersJones
pedro
McLaren
twoeightnine
kwinigolfer
Doon the Water
hend085
super_realist
mystiroakey
princedracula
22 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

European Tour - Abu Dhabi HSBC Tour Championship Empty European Tour - Abu Dhabi HSBC Tour Championship

Post by princedracula Thu 17 Jan 2013, 5:49 am

Although most of the discussions and headlines coming from Abu Dhabi so far have been about events that have very little to do with the European Tour's new season, such as the Ryder Cup captaincy and Rory's new golfing gear, there is still a pretty decent golf turnament taking place this week over there. And talking of headlines, even though there seem to be only one topic of conversation when it comes to this year's golf tournament proper,i.e. the much hyped Rory vs Tiger mega-duel, there was something else that caught my eye this early morning, and that was Dufner's comments that he is considering taking European Tour membership this year..."I think it makes you a little bit of a better player to come over here and experience golf in different places against different golfers". Good on you Jason, I like this guy more and more every day...

As for the Rory -Tiger duel, no idea who's gonna win it (probably Nike), or if the winner will even be one of them, all I hope for is that these two 3-million dollar men will put on a good display of their A-golf game and live up to all that hype (to be fair, both of them played pretty well last year here). Other than this, the Abu Dhabi tournament 7-year history has been dominated by two players: Casey who won it twice and is/was usually doing very well in the desert, and especially by Martin Kaymer who's record here is quite incredible, with three wins and a runner up finish in the space of four years between 2008-2011. And as we know, both of them have been more or less completely out of form the last year or so, but have been showing some signs of a turnaround towards the end of last year. Another player who fits the same sort of patterns (did well here in the past, out of form for quite a while and showing signs of recovery lately) is Stenson, and judging by the look of the early leaderboard, he's looking pretty determined right now to add a win to the two runner up spots he earned here in the past. Unfortunately, no real signs of a turnaround in form yet from last year's popular winner, Robert Rock, after famously beating Tiger on the final stretch (probably the day when Woods came up with his favorite 'joke': 'Is that your real hair?").

Other things that I'd like to keep an eye on this week would be the Oosthuizen vs Rose duel for #4 in the world (even though the south african is not playing in Abu Dhabi), two of the best players who could potentially upset the top three OWGR status-quo this year, plus hopefully a confirmation that Harrington's putting and his oveall game in general are on the up. Also, I hope for a good week and a good result for Jason Dufner (not just because he's been saying the right things). But apart from all this, I wouldn't be surprised and wouldn't mind to see a new and not so expected winner emerging this week, just like RRock was last year. And as the first 'big league' event of the year, I'm hoping for a great tournament overall to set us up nicely for an even greater 2013 season...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

European Tour - Abu Dhabi HSBC Tour Championship Empty Re: European Tour - Abu Dhabi HSBC Tour Championship

Post by mystiroakey Thu 17 Jan 2013, 8:08 am

rors is plus 3 after 17- probally out of this allready!!

Backed rose and casey each way..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

European Tour - Abu Dhabi HSBC Tour Championship Empty Re: European Tour - Abu Dhabi HSBC Tour Championship

Post by super_realist Thu 17 Jan 2013, 8:14 am

NIne chins not impressing either.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 17 Jan 2013, 8:16 am

holding it together at -1 , not playing well though. but good grinding from 9 chin

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 17 Jan 2013, 8:19 am

Look out for Thorbjorn Olesen this year. Looks the real deal.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 17 Jan 2013, 8:24 am

you love a scandinavian dont ya..

If I am gonna go for one mainland european to really shine this year its gonna be colsaerts- however i dont think he could ever maintin consitancy..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 17 Jan 2013, 8:27 am

Scandi's and South Africans, particularly early season are always worth each way.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 17 Jan 2013, 8:29 am

yep id agree with saffas for sure.. very good early season

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 17 Jan 2013, 8:33 am

Oosthuizen and Schwartzel for The Masters should be good value.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 17 Jan 2013, 8:36 am

I think there odds are pretty low allready- probally around the 30 mark.. but not a bad bet

I am still gonna back a couple of english in each major this year- maybe add a couple of outsiders that i can hopefully lay later on if they do ok.

I have a feeling that donald is gonna tone down his scheduling abit and concentrate harder on the majors..

I also think that rors has an ideal game for augusta and its just a matter of time- but his odds are shockingly low

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 17 Jan 2013, 8:39 am

Agreed, Rors isn't worth a bet at those odds, neither 9 chins. The value is in each way on people around the 20/1 - 80/1.

I cleaned up on Schwartzel at 90/1 the other year.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 17 Jan 2013, 8:46 am

nice..

I cleaned up on donald in 2011.. laid him at evens almost every event after backing him at about 20's

obviously would have made the same each way as well though.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 17 Jan 2013, 8:50 am

out of the americans i think duffers impresses me the most tbh. but the question marks are is he a flake!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Thu 17 Jan 2013, 9:48 am

i fancy Coetzee to win a couple of times this year. Paul Casey is another one that could win a few times too- particularly if he will be concentrating on the European Tour

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Thu 17 Jan 2013, 11:22 am

Two of my favourites continue in good form Howller and Michael Campbell.
I agree with SR [never] Olesen is the one to watch this year.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 17 Jan 2013, 11:25 am

I backed coertzee abit last year- good player- however he seems really angry!!

not sure if thats gonna hold him up to well

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 17 Jan 2013, 11:46 am

ROSEYYYYYY..

Fingers Crossed

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 17 Jan 2013, 12:33 pm

I'm hoping this year sees the return of Eddie Molinari to the World stage. Should be fit by now and is capable of flashes of brilliance.
Slow start today though.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 17 Jan 2013, 12:41 pm

Kwini are you gonna do your predictor this year?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Thu 17 Jan 2013, 1:06 pm

Nice to see that Howell has had a good start. I think he's a lovely guy who is great on Sky but feel it would be a real waste if he goes that way rather than down the playing route. Only one round though.

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 17 Jan 2013, 1:54 pm

It seems nike equipment is as duff as super realist always had us believe.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 17 Jan 2013, 2:02 pm

mysti,
I don't think so; it was a lot more work last year than I expected, especially towards the summer events, and it seemed enthusiasm waned as people felt as if they were dropping out of contention.
If I could think of another format I might change my mind, but 99% sure I won't be doing it.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 17 Jan 2013, 2:03 pm

thats a shame- what about just majors then?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 17 Jan 2013, 2:03 pm

Olesen had a dissappointing week last week in Saf. But he could be the real deal.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu 17 Jan 2013, 2:07 pm

McLaren wrote:It seems nike equipment is as duff as super realist always had us believe.

Stats for Rory certainly make it look that way. 5/14 fairways, 12 greens, 31 putts. 2 Doubles including one on an 8 iron par three.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 17 Jan 2013, 2:08 pm

Seems like the European Tour has lost Rich Beem this year. Unfortunately we'll have to endure seatfiller Hamilton one more year. What about Micheel? Does his exemption last thru 2013?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 17 Jan 2013, 2:25 pm

I have just seen serial hacker Michael Campbell shot a better round than nine chins this morning. Laugh

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 17 Jan 2013, 2:27 pm

blast from the past.. i saw him qualify for the us open at walton heath before he won it!!

good to see him possibly earning a few quid this week

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 17 Jan 2013, 3:29 pm

Tiger Woods chunks a drive all of, maybe, 120...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKVyPtoCvvo

Almost makes me feel better about my driving.....
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 17 Jan 2013, 3:36 pm

I hope Rory yelled across to him,
"Is that all you got?"

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 17 Jan 2013, 3:36 pm

made my day that.

I thought it was a sky not a top though

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 17 Jan 2013, 3:38 pm

Abu Dhabi HSBC TOUR Championship?

Not huge crowds in Abu Dhabi to watch #1 and #2 in the World (and #28) and very few people watching any else.

Its a wonder how HSBC can justify paying so much money to bring these two players to the tournament.

Missing this year that played last year: Luke, Westy, GMac and Sergio.

Great rounds from Justin and Donaldson.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 17 Jan 2013, 4:10 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:I hope Rory yelled across to him,
"Is that all you got?"
Laugh Now that would have been funny!

mystiroakey wrote:made my day that.

I thought it was a sky not a top though
Fat, very fat. Definitely not a top. Think the clubhead just bounced into the ball after hitting the ground a good 6" behind the ball. I remember seeing Retief Goosen top a tee shot maybe 100 yards up the opening par 4 in some event and having a good laugh with the crowd about it. Mind you, he laced a 3-wood onto the green and walked off with a nice 2-putt par anyway!
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu 17 Jan 2013, 4:14 pm

Rory: "How'd you do that?"

TW: "You'll learn."

Rory: "F**king hope not!"

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 17 Jan 2013, 4:16 pm

Tiger- i can still shoot level par even with them shots- whats your excuse?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu 17 Jan 2013, 4:31 pm

Roller_Coaster - I'm simply rubbish. Sorry Tiger good point, well made! Crying or Very sad

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 17 Jan 2013, 4:46 pm

Tiger - thats ok roller. whats your wifes name by the way?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Thu 17 Jan 2013, 4:50 pm

Didn't Jason Day do something similar in Kapalua a couple of years back then smacked his driver/3 wood on to the green and made par? I remember a load of of the other pros were very impressed.

Tiger made bogie though.

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 17 Jan 2013, 10:45 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:Tiger Woods chunks a drive all of, maybe, 120...

Take 1 of the new Swoosh commercial?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Fri 18 Jan 2013, 8:35 am

Rock withrawn 'feeling unwell'shame not a happy ending

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 18 Jan 2013, 8:43 am

rock feeling unwell- got the sh!tes i take it!!

poor lad--

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 18 Jan 2013, 9:13 am

Nine Chins +3, Projected Cut +3 Yahoo laughing Laugh Whisky

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 18 Jan 2013, 9:23 am

My 21/1 on rose is looking pretty tasy at the moment!1 Very Happy

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 18 Jan 2013, 9:52 am

Delighted to see Soren Kjeldsen on form too.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 18 Jan 2013, 10:04 am

pedro wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:Tiger Woods chunks a drive all of, maybe, 120...

Take 1 of the new Swoosh commercial?
Laugh Might work though. Maybe they could pitch it that his chunked drive was with a previous driver and then show him (hopefully) rip one down the middle with one of their new Coverts. "The new Nike Covert Tour driver....250 yards longer."
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Fri 18 Jan 2013, 10:08 am

Interesting to see that following a couple of duck hooks yesterday Rory had swapped from the VR Pro fairways to the Covert today, despite claiming it was him not the club.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 18 Jan 2013, 10:09 am

Tiger is going home.. poor lad..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 18 Jan 2013, 10:50 am

smithers, maybe Nike offered Rory an additional 3m if he would swap to the Covert? And as Rory already left his integrity at the Abu Dhabi National Bank, he probably accepted the deal.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 18 Jan 2013, 11:18 am

mystiroakey wrote:rock feeling unwell- got the sh!tes i take it!!

poor lad--
Hair in the food?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 18 Jan 2013, 11:20 am

I love his hair dude.. He allways looks good does rock. I reakon he is a player

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next