The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

European Tour: Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship

+20
Skydriver
NedB-H
Shotrock
4putt
Diggers
dynamark
EmmDee57
ScottieD18
princedracula
pedro
LadyPutt
Sand
super_realist
1GrumpyGolfer
monty junior
Redrage
John Cregan
kwinigolfer
navyblueshorts
McLaren
24 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

European Tour: Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship Empty European Tour: Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship

Post by McLaren Thu 26 Jan 2012, 11:46 am

Hi Folks

I have no time to write a proper article but it seems odd we have nowhere to discuss this.

Here is the leaderboard

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2012/tournamentid=2012004/leaderboard/index.html

Seems board favourites hateful Tiger and numb skull mcilroy have got off to good starts.

Good to see the worlds best back in the same event and I for one am looking forward to being able to watch this over the weekend.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

European Tour: Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship Empty Re: European Tour: Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 26 Jan 2012, 11:56 am

Certainly a good start from McIlroy (he's a numbskull why exactly?) and compared to the rest of the field, Woods' start looks pretty decent; be interesting to see if he can play good golf and be consistent.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

European Tour: Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship Empty Re: European Tour: Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 26 Jan 2012, 11:59 am

See Westwood is back at level after what looked like a wobbly start. Monty in at -1 as well; wonder if he can string four decent rounds together....
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 26 Jan 2012, 12:02 pm

Very surprised at Kaymer, now +4.

Schwartzel improving every round he plays.

Mac: thumbsup

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 26 Jan 2012, 12:11 pm

I thought Kaymer had sorted his swing changes? Another one who should have left well alone when he was going so well?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 26 Jan 2012, 12:12 pm

Navy, chill my dear friend.

How can you have missed the mcilroy is an idiot threads, I was only playing on that. And please tell me you have notices S_r's most used comment; "the hateful woods"?

Kwini

Schwartzel's swing just looks so good, so much so I am watching youtube video's of it with the intention of trying to copy a few things. Would be no surprise to see him win this week to bounce back after his slight wobble last week.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 26 Jan 2012, 12:17 pm

McLaren wrote:Navy, chill my dear friend.

How can you have missed the mcilroy is an idiot threads, I was only playing on that. And please tell me you have notices S_r's most used comment; "the hateful woods"?
I did miss it (well, its implication anyway) actually Doh.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Thu 26 Jan 2012, 12:39 pm

Good to see Gareth Maybin continuing on from the last event of 2011 where he showed bottle to retain his card.....................

This will be a different test and im sure a Top 20 would leave him felling good about his game in this company.......................

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Thu 26 Jan 2012, 1:30 pm

Martinb Kaymer normally averages -5 per round here, -80 running total for the the last 4 events prior to this year, today it was a +5! Anyone know if he was he injured or ill?

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Thu 26 Jan 2012, 2:06 pm

Redrage,

Kaymer, despite the mechanical, consistent stereotype, is prone to inexplicable inconstiency at times...................

35 putts for Woods today.................having not seen any of his round, it does seem as if this was his problem....................

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 26 Jan 2012, 2:08 pm

John Cregan wrote:...35 putts for Woods today.................having not seen any of his round, it does seem as if this was his problem....................
Anyone know if he was hitting it close and missing or was he hitting greens but leaving himself no realistic birdie chances?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Thu 26 Jan 2012, 2:12 pm

How did Woods play guys? kinda slept in.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Thu 26 Jan 2012, 2:15 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
John Cregan wrote:...35 putts for Woods today.................having not seen any of his round, it does seem as if this was his problem....................
Anyone know if he was hitting it close and missing or was he hitting greens but leaving himself no realistic birdie chances?

By all accounts his pace and reading were a little off. Missed a short one on 18 which I think meant he collected a 3 putt par.

Otherwise his play was pretty good, McIlroy commented that he (Woods) was moving the ball both ways and seemed in control of his golf ball.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 26 Jan 2012, 2:37 pm

Was McIlroy really asked to comment on Woods round?
I would have told them to F*** Off, either that or say, "well he's -2 and I'm -5, work it out for yourself" or "Why don't you tell me about how the World number 24 or 26th played, I 'd be interested to know"

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Thu 26 Jan 2012, 2:38 pm

Just read both Richie Ramseys and Stephen Gallachers column in local paper. Saying that the course has been toughened up a lot and -4 at the end of the week wont be far away from winning.

Cant believe Kaymers round though.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Thu 26 Jan 2012, 2:39 pm

The few holes I saw, his shots to the green were way off, leaving him little chance for birdies. The old temper came out on 8th (his 17th) when he fluffed a chip and had to settle for a par on a par 5.

Highlights at 6pm for 2 hours on Sky Sports 3 for those who had to work/couldn't get up.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Thu 26 Jan 2012, 6:55 pm

Unusual for Tiger not to birdie any par 5's, hopefully he'll get that sorted tomorrow.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 26 Jan 2012, 11:03 pm

What, Kaymer? Shocked
Have you eating something bad?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 26 Jan 2012, 11:41 pm

Is kaymer still obsessed that he needs to develop a right to left ball flight? Or was that just media bull?

You would think all pro's know that you have to be able to shape the ball a different way on almost every shot. When Kaymer won the PGA i think i predicted he would be number one for a very long time. Shows what I know.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri 27 Jan 2012, 7:39 am

Good to be back and following this, some great play out there this morning, but unfortunately Sergio's good run just took a break at the 14th (just watched a clip with his ace yesterday... nice!)

I remember about a year ago when Rory was asked by someone who was the most promissing young player out there, he answered rather modestly... Thorbjorn Olesen.

And there's the 4th birdie in a row for Harrington and a share of 2nd place! Say what you will about him and his par 5 record, I'd still like to believe that there's somethig better about him and his game this begining of the year. But I certainly wouldn't bet on it just yet...

It's a pain in the neck for Lee out there today (allegedely), but the physio seems to have made some difference. And I won't even mention Kaymer...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Fri 27 Jan 2012, 8:31 am

princedracula wrote:Good to be back and following this, some great play out there this morning, but unfortunately Sergio's good run just took a break at the 14th (just watched a clip with his ace yesterday... nice!)

I remember about a year ago when Rory was asked by someone who was the most promissing young player out there, he answered rather modestly... Thorbjorn Olesen.

And there's the 4th birdie in a row for Harrington and a share of 2nd place! Say what you will about him and his par 5 record, I'd still like to believe that there's somethig better about him and his game this begining of the year. But I certainly wouldn't bet on it just yet...

It's a pain in the neck for Lee out there today (allegedely), but the physio seems to have made some difference. And I won't even mention Kaymer...

Physio must have worked 3 birdies in a row for westwood. Olesen does look a fantastic prospect, Roe said this morning hes a proper player. Sky coverage great as always but was a bit surprised it wasnt on at 3.30 am again this morning (oh thats right Tiger wasnt playing then again furious )

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 27 Jan 2012, 9:09 am

Paul lawrie up the top end of a leaderboard again, I wonder what he has changed of late?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Fri 27 Jan 2012, 9:32 am

McLaren,

He has said recently in the local press that he realised last year he was nearing the end of his career and he needed to give it one more big push.

What about Rory's start today? 1 over after 5 with two birdies, one par, one bogey and a double bogey. He plays golf the way Stephen Hendry played snooker - going for every shot. As they say in snooker Rory maybe needs to select his shots better and play the percentages more. Exciting to watch but surely an improvement in course management / shot selection is required.

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by EmmDee57 Fri 27 Jan 2012, 10:37 am

2 shot penalty for Rors for brushing away sand on the fringe. Strangely you're allowed to do it on the green but not on the fringe or fairway.

EmmDee57

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 27 Jan 2012, 10:39 am

I am just following the leaderboard but it seems a strange day for rory?

You would think he would know such a basis rule.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by EmmDee57 Fri 27 Jan 2012, 10:48 am

I think it was Donald who alerted him to his wrongdoing. Almost bounced back with an eagle at 10th after a huge drive and a brilliant 3 wood into the green.

Tiger is looking a bit peed off. His driving isn't good today, too many missed fairways.

EmmDee57

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 27 Jan 2012, 11:07 am

EmmDee57 wrote:I think it was Donald who alerted him to his wrongdoing. Almost bounced back with an eagle at 10th after a huge drive and a brilliant 3 wood into the green.

Tiger is looking a bit peed off. His driving isn't good today, too many missed fairways.

When doesn't he?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri 27 Jan 2012, 11:35 am

Peed off or not, Tiger's playing pretty good today as far as I can see...

Karlsson has a bit of a setback, but having a very good couple of days so far, good to see that.

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Fri 27 Jan 2012, 11:44 am

Just an aside gents .Would any of the guys want to be paired with Woods for saturday.Could be an unwelcome distraction?

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 27 Jan 2012, 11:46 am

Dyna, I wouldn't want to be in the same town as him.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 27 Jan 2012, 11:52 am

Mcilroy seems to be all over the place, up and down the leaderboard all day. Has he made a par out there?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri 27 Jan 2012, 11:53 am

super_realist wrote:Dyna, I wouldn't want to be in the same town as him.
Does that mean you're leaving your home town every 5 years then...? Wink

Rory keeps yo-yo-ing about, but have to admire him for getting back into it every time...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Fri 27 Jan 2012, 11:57 am

My view is two sided I wouldnt want it but if it happened and I did well enough then it would be a positive.
There I sound like one of them mind guru fellas.Available at reasonable rates

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri 27 Jan 2012, 11:58 am

Rather quietly in the background, two Italians are having the best rounds of the day... Forza Chico&Matteo! Hope I won't jinx them...

Another birdie and Woods moves to 2nd place. Let the hype begin....

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 27 Jan 2012, 2:08 pm

I watched some of the golf today, Woods is looking a lot more comfortable on the course, seems to be a lot happier and settled with his swing. Shaping up nicely for the weekend, be nice to see Lukey find a bit of something extra though.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri 27 Jan 2012, 8:21 pm

Matteo hardly getting a mention after his brilliant best round of the week today. Ayway, he showed that he can still do brilliance, and hopefully now he can prove over the weekend that he can still do consistency as well. Would be great to see him combining these two features once again...

Gareth Maybin, also not mentioned too much in the media, but according to some (himself included), his great bogey-free 36 holes so far (the only one in the field, I guess) may not be just an 'accident'. He switched to a new driver before the tournament and at least according to TaylorMade: Gareth Maybin: Tests R11S Driver & RBZ FW, picks up 20+ yards, "best driver I've ever hit", straight in the bag, 68 (-4) day 1. Good marketing anyway... we'll see if he can keep it going at that level over the weekend...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri 27 Jan 2012, 8:25 pm

Sergio and Padraig playing together (again) tomorrow!!
It's been a while... Wink

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by 4putt Sat 28 Jan 2012, 1:44 am

navyblueshorts wrote:Certainly a good start from McIlroy (he's a numbskull why exactly?)

Navy, I think he answered your question yesterday. Very Happy

4putt

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sat 28 Jan 2012, 8:06 am

Some seriously low scores in the desert this morning. Gonzo (-7 after 13) and Bjorn (-6 after 9) just two of the most prolific birdie scorers out there. Tiger and Rors just birdied the first hole as well. Is Sergio again slightly 'uncomfortable' when playing with Harrington? He started with a bogey.
Moving day....

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sat 28 Jan 2012, 10:34 am

So, Tiger shares the lead at -8, but it's a very crowded top of the leaderboard. No less than 50 players within 6 shots off the lead!
Super round from Peter Hanson today as well!

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 28 Jan 2012, 10:56 am

Is this the Tiger effect, no-one wants to take the lead?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 28 Jan 2012, 11:04 am

OK chaps, Lawrie's gone to -12, Woods has followed him, we can all make a birdie/eagle; it's safe now.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sat 28 Jan 2012, 11:14 am

Has to be said, he's played beautifully today. Only 2 bogeys after 48 holes and leading on a tough course that he hasn't played before... it's pretty impressive. Rory not having as good a day and he's done well to be 2-under so far...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Sat 28 Jan 2012, 11:39 am

Tiger the first man to ten under and in to the lead Cool

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 28 Jan 2012, 11:46 am

Kwini

Did lawrie really get to -12, I only just got up and seem to have missed the action.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Sat 28 Jan 2012, 11:50 am

The best Lawrie has been is 9 and briefly held the lead on his own

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 28 Jan 2012, 11:50 am

Mac,
NO!!!! Can't imagine where I got that from, -9 I think. Oops.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 28 Jan 2012, 11:58 am

When was the last time we saw a molinari that far up the leaderboard?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sat 28 Jan 2012, 12:30 pm

Not the Tiger effect Kwin ... Tiger WANTS to take the lead. We'll see for how long, but by anyone's measure a fine 3rd round effort against a highly-ranked field.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 28 Jan 2012, 12:36 pm

Shotrock,
That's what I mean. Used to happen over here all the time when Woods was at his best, everyone else would capitulate.
Unless Sunday sees some wind, that's exactly what the Europeans look like doing.
Zach Johnson has a lot to answer for!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next