The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Damn you Bob Arum!!

+5
manos de piedra
cave_man_KO
Rowley
The Galveston Giant
Daz
9 posters

Go down

Damn you Bob Arum!! Empty Damn you Bob Arum!!

Post by Daz Fri 18 Nov 2011, 9:18 am

Alex Ariza reveals Manny Pacquiao wants Floyd Mayweather for his next bout – Boxing news

Alex Ariza, who is the conditioning trainer of eight-division world champion and the current World Boxing Organisation World Welterweight Champion (Super Champion) Manny Pacquiao, has revealed the Filipino star wants to take on Floyd Mayweather instead of Juan Manuel Marquez just like Freddie Roach.

Therefore, he wants Bob Arum to set up a super-fight rather than a Pacquiao-Marquez for a fourth time.

The Fighting Pride of Philippines, Manny ‘Pac-Man’ Pacquiao recently secured a 12-round controversial majority decision over the Mexican Dinamita, Marquez, in their much-anticipated trilogy bout at the MGM Grand Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.

This fight was basically set up to give both fighters a final chance to settle their differences but since they once again were too close, Pacquiao’s promoter, Arum, now wants a fourth fight between the two even when there is a opportunity to finally set up a fight which people want, Pacquiao versus Mayweather.

Ariza stated Freddie Roach has also told Arum that Pacquiao wants to take on the undefeated American legend, Mayweather, but Arum is not listening to anyone.

Ariza told Fighthype.com, “I mean, he's told that to me himself that he wants the Mayweather fight. He told that to Freddie; he wants the Mayweather fight. I know Manny would like to fight Mayweather.”

“It’s like Freddie says, Manny has to push it and if Bob says he doesn’t care what Freddie said, well, he should care because that’s Freddie’s fighter and Freddie knows what his fighter wants and he wants Mayweather,” explained Ariza.

Mayweather’s camp earlier this month disclosed that Mayweather, who is a five-division world champion and the current World Boxing Council World Welterweight Champion, wants to be in action on May 5 and he wants Pacquiao this time.

So, let’s see if Arum changes his mind sets up a Mayweather fight instead of a Marquez fight again, as Pacquiao-Mayweather bout is certainly one of the most eagerly awaited bouts in the sport and if it happens it will have all the hallmarks of being an absolute classic.

Source: http://blogs.bettor.com/Alex-Ariza-reveals-Manny-Pacquiao-wants-Floyd-Mayweather-for-his-next-bout-Boxing-news-a112354

There seems to be some truth in this - found this article on ESPN:

The latest round of negotiations for the potential megafight between welterweight champions Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. are over before they have even begun.

Leonard Ellerbe, one of Mayweather's advisors, and Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer both told ESPN.com Monday that they were notified that Pacquiao promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank was not interested in coming to the table.

We have been informed that Bob Arum is not interested in pursuing a fight between Mayweather and Pacquiao at this time," Schaefer said.

Mayweather knocked out Victor Ortiz in his return to the ring after 16 months off in September, and Pacquiao eked out a controversial majority decision against rival Juan Manuel Marquez in their third meeting Saturday night at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

That set the table for the showdown that looms as the biggest money fight in boxing history, especially with Mayweather announcing two weeks ago that he planned to return May 5 at the MGM Grand and, according to Ellerbe, wanted to "make the biggest fight possible and everyone knows what that fight is, the little fella (Pacquiao)."

However, that does not appear to be the plan Arum and Pacquiao have, even if they had said they were open to it before the Marquez fight.

Schaefer said the notification came in an email from retired federal judge Daniel Weinstein, the mediator who has worked closely with the sides to settle numerous lawsuits and issues in recent years.

"I am sick and tired of Bob Arum twisting the truth. It's another case of 'yesterday I was lying, today I'm telling the truth,' " Schaefer said, invoking Arum's most famous quote. "The truth of the matter is that we received this afternoon an email from retired federal judge Daniel Weinstein, who has informed us that Top Rank is pursuing a rematch with Marquez and, therefore, is not interested in immediate talks for a possible Mayweather-Pacquiao fight. This is obviously as clear as it can be that they have no intentions of making a Mayweather-Pacquiao fight. Therefore, Floyd Mayweather will have no other choice than to move on and identify and lock in another opponent for his ring return on May 5."

Schaefer said the plan was to use Weinstein to help them make the Pacquiao-Mayweather fight because he is trusted by both sides and intimately familiar with the problems between the rival promotional companies.

"Judge Weinstein is respected by both parties and mediated issues between Top Rank and Golden Boy before, so the plan was to see if he could help facilitate such a fight. Floyd's team really wanted to get this fight done," Schaefer said. "If you just sit down with Arum, he can at any time have one of his fits, one of his 'f--- you' attacks, and the likelihood that he would have a 'f--- you' attack in front of a retired judge seemed less likely than if Arum and me would be alone in a room."

Arum told ESPN.com that he knew nothing about an email and claimed that nobody from his company had communicated anything about making -- or not making -- a possible Pacquiao-Mayweather fight.

But Arum did say, "We are pursuing a fourth fight with Marquez. As far as doing anything definitively, we aren't ready to do anything definitively. When we are ready to make a determination of what we are going to do, we will do it. We are not going to do this in the press. We will do what is in the best interest of ourselves and our client and make a decision when it's time to. If we decide we want to do a rematch with Marquez, there is no reason to sit down with Mayweather. If we want to explore a Mayweather fight, we will sit down with them. But I'm not going to sit down with them just because it's a good show."

Ellerbe was just as upset as Schaefer was.

"In my opinion, you have three cowards -- Bob Arum, (Pacquiao trainer) Freddie Roach and Manny Pacquiao," Ellerbe told ESPN.com. "Now we all know the truth once and for all why this fight hasn't been made. It should be clear to everyone that they don't care what the fans want, especially when Floyd is ready, willing and able to fight Manny Pacquiao now. Floyd said if this isn't clear, he doesn't know what is.

"All along we know why the fight isn't being made. This is the perfect opportunity. Both guys just fought. This is the fight the fans want to see, and it's a disgrace that they are not willing to give the fans what they want. In my opinion, there are three reasons why Arum doesn't want the fight. He knows there is no way that Manny Pacquiao can win, it kills his cash cow, and he wants to do in-house fights where he controls both sides. I said all along why this fight hasn't been made to this point. Manny Pacquiao knows, Bob Arum knows and Freddie Roach knows."

Ellerbe said he and Schaefer would begin exploring potential May 5 opponents for Mayweather.

"We have a number of options, and we will evaluate that and give the fans the biggest fight we can give them," he said. "But before we can get started (on a Pacquiao fight), Top Rank doesn't even want to listen. They're not even interested in Floyd Mayweather. They want no part of Floyd Mayweather. They have no interest in the little fella fighting Floyd. Manny Pacquiao needs to stand up, in my opinion, and tell his promoter that he wants to fight Floyd Mayweather next and stop hiding behind his promoter."

Ellerbe said Mayweather (42-0, 26 KOs) did not watch as Pacquiao (54-3-2, 38 KOs) turned in a shaky performance on Saturday night because he was making a paid appearance at a nightclub in Virginia. Mayweather came out of a 21-month retirement in September 2009 and fought Marquez, dropping him in the second round and winning a near-shutout decision, a far more dominating performance than Pacquiao has had against him in any of their three bouts.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/story/_/id/7235880/floyd-mayweather-jr-aide-says-manny-pacquiao-camp-even-talk-fight

In conclusion - the stubborn awkward money grabbing Arum is stopping this fight going ahead.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Damn you Bob Arum!! Empty Re: Damn you Bob Arum!!

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 18 Nov 2011, 9:28 am

I'm not sure he'll end up fighting either next, i hope so though.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 18 Nov 2011, 9:29 am

Shameful really, it is amusing though because what is often forgotten is promoters work for fighters not the other way round. Bob's job is not to decide who his fighters should fight, certainly not at Manny's level it is to consult with the fighter and then do his damnedest to deliver the fight they want.

There does seem something of a will on both sides to finally make this fight happen. Whilst the fight may have lost a little lustre it is still massive and if it can be made everyone involved should do everything they can to make it finally happen.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Fri 18 Nov 2011, 9:31 am

Hope so Jeff. Is Manny under contract to Arum for a set period? Can he not self promote this fight? He will make millions.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by cave_man_KO Fri 18 Nov 2011, 9:35 am

Pretty much suspected this all along.

This is why I despise Bob Arum, how many lame in house fights have taken place with manny since this fight was first mentioned? Too many for me.

cave_man_KO

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 18 Nov 2011, 9:44 am

The other issue with this is irrespective of what we think of the outcome of the fights it has become apparent over the course of their trilogy that Manny and Marquez will always be close unless Marquez gets old overnight and so if this does not happen is a fourth fight going to offer anything in the way of resolution or closure. Given this if the result is close or controversial does this make a fifth fight necessary? If so the Mayweather fight moves further and further away.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri 18 Nov 2011, 9:46 am

I dont really buy this excuse. If Pacquiao wants the fight and pushes for it then it should happen whether Arum wants it or not. Why would Arum risk upsetting and potentially losing his biggest asset? Especially seeing as hed make a packet from the superfight in any event.

In my view the reason the fight has happened thus far is become the fighters, trainers and promoters on both sides havent really wanted it enough.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 18 Nov 2011, 9:51 am

manos de piedra wrote:

In my view the reason the fight has happened thus far is become the fighters, trainers and promoters on both sides havent really wanted it enough.

Sounds about right, for as long as both can continue to pick up $30m pay days against guys who pose minimal threat, Manny's problems with Marquez aside, where is the inclination to take risks. Remember reading a quote from Lou Di Bella some time ago which made sense. Can't remember the exact figures but he said if Floyd fights someone like Mosley and does 1.5m buys on PPV and splits the pot 80-20 in terms of earnings there is really not much difference than if he does the Manny fight at 2.5 million buys on a 50-50 split. Not how things should be but in terms or risk vs reward you can understand it.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Fri 18 Nov 2011, 9:59 am

rowley wrote:
manos de piedra wrote:

Sounds about right, for as long as both can continue to pick up $30m pay days against guys who pose minimal threat, Manny's problems with Marquez aside, where is the inclination to take risks. Remember reading a quote from Lou Di Bella some time ago which made sense. Can't remember the exact figures but he said if Floyd fights someone like Mosley and does 1.5m buys on PPV and splits the pot 80-20 in terms of earnings there is really not much difference than if he does the Manny fight at 2.5 million buys on a 50-50 split. Not how things should be but in terms or risk vs reward you can understand it.

It's a shame Legacy doesnt come into the formula for these guys.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 18 Nov 2011, 10:04 am

Both guys legacy will be hurt badly if this fight doesn't happen and rightly so. Even though Mayweather has become favourite there will always be doubt.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 18 Nov 2011, 10:06 am

It simply has to happen. I'd even be reluctant for one of them to fight Martinez next, when there is such an obvious challenge at their actual weight.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Fri 18 Nov 2011, 10:07 am

Dazstarr wrote:Hope so Jeff. Is Manny under contract to Arum for a set period? Can he not self promote this fight? He will make millions.

This was my first thought... can't he just LEAVE Arum? It would likely be Pacquiaos last fight anyway. It's like Balti previously said... Manny is the biggest fighter on the planet yet he seems to allow others to make his decisions. Like a good lapdog.

Financially, the fight with Mayweather would benefit everyone involved, so what's the issue?

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 18 Nov 2011, 10:22 am

I think they are scared of losing the money and ranking that would come with a defeat, especially Floyd.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by cave_man_KO Fri 18 Nov 2011, 10:44 am

School Project wrote:
Dazstarr wrote:Hope so Jeff. Is Manny under contract to Arum for a set period? Can he not self promote this fight? He will make millions.

This was my first thought... can't he just LEAVE Arum? It would likely be Pacquiaos last fight anyway. It's like Balti previously said... Manny is the biggest fighter on the planet yet he seems to allow others to make his decisions. Like a good lapdog.

Financially, the fight with Mayweather would benefit everyone involved, so what's the issue?

The issue is that why would manny risk losing this veil of invincibility (if it still exists) that he can smash through anything when he can keep fighting with the odds stacked well in his favour making 20m plus per fight. Also bob arum can keep the fights in house making a stack more money (im sure he needs it...) and one thing that I think hasnt been mentioned enough is the issues between bob arum and mayweather. Simply put I believe if Arum was removed from the equation this fight would have happened.

cave_man_KO

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Fri 18 Nov 2011, 10:58 am

Manny (Arum) thinks he has 3 more fights in him, I think their ideal to maximise earnings is too make the mayweather fight if possible last. The problem as jeff alludes too is the conflict of promotor and manager, Arum acts both (as does fish eyes Frank). Where as for example, goldenboy act as Mayweather's promotor, but not his manager.

i.e the promotor is best suits to fight promotion, the manager to arranging the best fights in the fighters interests, when one person (arum) does both (and has a stable of other fighters) he ends up serving his own interests first.

Its is however hard to break this cycle unless your already well established like mayweather.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri 18 Nov 2011, 11:25 am

Arum's a scumbag but the reason this fight hasn't happened is pretty obvious. Fifteen million or whatever the sum was to fight Clottey? $25 million to fight Ortiz? Silly amounts of money for fights which really haven't been that great. Why risk the gravy train?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down