The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brew long term Wales contender?!

+18
Harry2899
Gatts
gowales
SubsBench
Luckless Pedestrian
offload
RuckingFlanker86
Comfort
Morgannwg
bedfordwelsh
TycroesOsprey
maestegmafia
Smirnoffpriest
wales606
mckay1402
munkian
Impossible Standards
westernosprey
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Brew long term Wales contender?! Empty Brew long term Wales contender?!

Post by westernosprey Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:25 pm

Darren Edwards thinks Brew can be Shane Williams long term Wales replacement.

There are a few problems:

Brew doesn't perform for Wales
Brew doesn't score tries for Wales
Brew has been DROPPED!!!

Plus there is a long list of established and up and coming wings that can and will do more for Wales than "let down Brew" has.

Halfpenny
North
Cuthbert
Stoddart
Dirksen?
Prydie?
Phillips?

Even bloody Czekaj!

westernosprey

Back to top Go down

Brew long term Wales contender?! Empty Re: Brew long term Wales contender?!

Post by Impossible Standards Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:01 pm

North Plays on the other wing. 1/2p & Stoddart seem to be covering both wing and FB so why shouldn't Brew be involved. I don't see how you can say all those mentioned WILL do more for Wales when they haven't even been tested at international level.

Czekaji, Phillips, Prydie Dirksen....REALLY????
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:31 pm

Oh Look, an anti Gwent Ospreys fan, how refreshing.....

Brew has recently scored several tries for Wales, he ran through a forward to get one of them.

His last several International games for Wales have hardly been a let down.

Now Biggar on the other hand....

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:47 pm

No. Brew should not be considered for Wales again. He doesn't score and gives away stupid penalties because he tries too hard to impress
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:52 pm

He's scored tries in his last two appearances....

He's on the left wing, as is Shane, who hasn't scored a lot of tries recently either.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:35 am

No. Brew should not be considered for Wales again. He doesn't score and gives away stupid penalties because he tries too hard to impress

To be fair he played in some games (Fiji draw at home comes to mind) where the whole team hasn't performed. I guess there's a few who will never appreciate him but seeing what he does for the Dragons week in week out he often out performs other Welsh wingers in domestic games. Like Edwards said he needs a run of games for Wales where he can just go out and play without trying to prove a point. Nobody complained when Mark Jones was starting on the right wing and his try scoring record was quite abysmal!

Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:44 am

munkian wrote:He's scored tries in his last two appearances....

He's on the left wing, as is Shane, who hasn't scored a lot of tries recently either.

laughing

How about the crucial try against Samoa.

Brew has been a let down when he has played for Wales - He failed to impress against the BaaBaas or Namibia. He has a habit of trying to hard for Wales and giving away stupid penalties.

Cuthbert is the way forward (or as he is now known, George North MKII)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:51 am

I'd say Impossible Standards sums it up perfectly. And some of Western Ospreys comments are (again) laughable

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:59 am

I think Brew is a valuable player and his constant good form for the Dragons will keep him in contention for a squad and possibly a starting place.

Gatland and the other coaches will know him well having spent three months together trying to win the RWC so if he has been dropped it is likely because they want to look at other alternatives, Williams and Cuthbert are both good players who deserve a call up as reward for their efforts for their respective regions.

All Brew can do in the meantime is just play well and wait for the next opportunity. We are lucky to have such depth in our outside backs.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:04 am

I agree that Cuthbert is looking a good prospect, and his sevens experience will count for a lot. My point is more that I think given the chance Brew could prove to be a good player for Wales. And when I mean chance, I mean not in a team of second choice players where he receives little ball. He was one of the top try scorers last season which must count for something.
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:10 am

Brew is a powerful winger with a nose for the line. The problem for him in a wales shirt is that he has always been behind Shane so is never assured of a start. He is a confidence player in many ways. At the Dragons he is sure of his position and does the right things. If he gets a run of games in the 11 shirt he could be just as devestating for Wales so discarding him would be really narrow thinking. Unfortunatly for Brew, Cuthbert does look somthing special so he could find himself sidelined again which at 25 would be a shame. Quality player its quite ridiculous to say otherwise.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:28 am

wales606 wrote:

laughing

Brew has been a let down when he has played for Wales - He failed to impress against the BaaBaas or Namibia. He has a habit of trying to hard for Wales and giving away stupid penalties.

You know nothing John Snow.

To be fair that was Halfpenny's try - Shane just finished it.

And most of the Welsh squad were poor in the first half of the Namimbia game - they didn't let go until the 2nd half.

And Brew scored a try pretty much under thier posts - did you actually watch the game ? Erm

When you get into a 22-0 lead, the confidence should grow," says ITV pundit Gareth Thomas. "The wingers Leigh Halfpenny and Aled Brew are working hard, but the forwards aren't really giving them a platform on which to build."
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by westernosprey Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:42 am

Matthew Morgan is the closest player to Shane Williams at the moment in terms of style of running and size but wings in the future need to be big powerful lumps.

Fortunately Wales have a 19 year old giant powerful quick, but also incredibly skillful lump in George North.

westernosprey

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:59 am

munkian wrote:
wales606 wrote:

laughing

You know nothing John Snow.

To be fair that was Halfpenny's try - Shane just finished it.

And most of the Welsh squad were poor in the first half of the Namimbia game - they didn't let go until the 2nd half.

And Brew scored a try pretty much under thier posts - did you actually watch the game ? Erm

When you get into a 22-0 lead, the confidence should grow," says ITV pundit Gareth Thomas. "The wingers Leigh Halfpenny and Aled Brew are working hard, but the forwards aren't really giving them a platform on which to build."

Yes, I did - Scoring against Namibia is not the same as scoring against Samoa. Pretty much every back scored against Namibia.

Halfpenny created the try, but Shane's finishing was superb - he had no right to pick up that ball (on the opposite wing) and run it in, Brew wouldnt - so you cant really compare him to SW.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:18 am

I really dont get the Brew Hate.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:25 am

Said in other post I think Brew has been hard done by being left out of the Australia game but I think he will still be involved come 6 Nations, whether he will be anymore than squad player am not sure.

As long as he keeps doing it for us down at Dave then I will be happy.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:32 am

TycroesOsprey wrote:Brew is a powerful winger with a nose for the line. The problem for him in a wales shirt is that he has always been behind Shane so is never assured of a start. He is a confidence player in many ways. At the Dragons he is sure of his position and does the right things. If he gets a run of games in the 11 shirt he could be just as devestating for Wales so discarding him would be really narrow thinking. Unfortunatly for Brew, Cuthbert does look somthing special so he could find himself sidelined again which at 25 would be a shame. Quality player its quite ridiculous to say otherwise.

I agree. Brew has never been given consistentcy in the Wales selection. As opposed to Biggar, Jon Thomas, Ryan Jones, James Hook... Remember how bad their form was? And you can't say they weren't given a chance because they were handed plenty. Brew hasn't been though, a game here and there at 80 minutes if he is lucky. He's playing for us in his position week in, week out and scores tries. If he gets the chance to string a few games for Wales together from the selectors and is still poor then fair enough, proves that he is just an average player who excels at club level.

p.s. Loved the way you destroyed the 'England rugby embarrassment' on the Shane Williams accolade thread Tycroes. Funny but accurate and to the point.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:37 am

I've always wanted to see what he can do in a run of games in the 6ns for instance in the first team.

His handling does seem to have let him down at times, but his defence and rucking are flanker-ish to be frank. He's quick, powerful and creative, to say otherwise is tosh.

is he 1 of the 2/3 best wingers in wales currently? very debatable.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:03 am

All cocahes both Regional and Internationally ask that players compete, put hand up for selection and demonstrate thatt hey have the hunger for hard work and committment.

Lack of any of those traits cannot be levelled at Brew now he has settled into the Dragons side.

I just hope he gets a run of games to prove (one way or not) whether he can do it, T James has had more chances than Brew and still gets mentioned as possible replacement for Ickle so Brew surely still deserves a shot.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:11 am

That always makes me laugh how much T James is mentioned whenever he puts 2 or 3 good games together - he's played very poorly for Wales on a fair few occasions - shows that he continually uses every muscle except the most important one, and has trouble finishing opportunities. He's certainly played much more poorly for Wales than Brew, and Brew is by far the more consistent regional player - but T James' name keeps coming back whenever possible Wales wingers are mentioned

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by RuckingFlanker86 Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:58 am

I don't really know where most people get their ideas about Brew.

''He has had loads of chances'' - 8 caps, how many off the bench?

''He gives away stupid penalties'' - No recolection of that in a Welsh shirt at all.

''He's past it'' - He's not long turned 25.

''He has done nothing in a Welsh shirt'' - Well, 2 tries in his 8 caps. One of them was running straight through a prop.

I dont really care to be honest, as I'd rather him at the Dragons where he is at least used correctly and appreciated. Just think it's stupid to just bang on about dropping a player who has never really been given a chance and never really done anything wrong because everyone is doing it and it's trendy to do so. How many quality players have been shown up by Brew over the years? Alot.

Oh and my quotes above are age old examples from the old 606 aswell as this one and not just from this post, before the usual suspects start picking holes.

RuckingFlanker86

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:10 am

Flanker,

Couldn't agree more and with the exception of North I doubt any other welsh winger could match Brews workrate.

As much as I want him at dave he deserves international recognition so hope he gets it
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:53 am

Personally I would prefer Tom James for Wales. I know that's contraversial though
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:11 am

why McKay? Brew offers so much more - IMO of course

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:18 pm

Brew might make it - it's up to him to continue to perform so that he can't be ignored. I don't think he has quite the talent of some of the contenders so it will be down to hard work.

I hope he can, at least then we might avoid another show pony Osprey more worried about his makeup. Wink
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:53 pm

wales606 wrote:Halfpenny created the try, but Shane's finishing was superb - he had no right to pick up that ball (on the opposite wing) and run it in, Brew wouldnt - so you cant really compare him to SW.

How can you possibly know that?!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:26 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote:
wales606 wrote:Halfpenny created the try, but Shane's finishing was superb - he had no right to pick up that ball (on the opposite wing) and run it in, Brew wouldnt - so you cant really compare him to SW.

How can you possibly know that?!

He doesn't, he has 'interesting' ideas about rugby and wing play.

Brew has never had run of games for Wales - he's had the odd one with mostly bodged together Welsh sides.

How can people possibly say Cuthbert is the future etc when he's not even played a capped game yet let alone consistently in them.

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by SubsBench Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:27 pm

Firstly you cant compare Brew and Shane. They are totally different types of wings. Secondly, Tom James before Brew, no chance, Brew is a far better wing. Thirdly, Brew has failed to impress me when playing for Wales, especially compared to how he plays for the Dragons. He does seem to be trying too hard and isnt comfortable in the international environment I know there is a big step up from regional to international level but I think he can make that step. He needs time to bed in and become comfortable at the level. Whether he gets enough time is another matter, there are good wings about who could easily leap frog him.

SubsBench

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:43 pm

SubsBench, it could be that Aled Brew is uncomfortable in the Welsh jersey because he knows he's likely to get dropped for the next game whatever he does. Never underestimate the difference it makes to a player when knows he has the coaches' confidence.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:52 pm

Gatland could just be trying out other wings before the 6 nations.

Brew has been in the Welsh coaching setup and the coaches Know his skills.

They couldn't really throw Cuthbert in the 6ns untested.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by SubsBench Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:53 pm

Luckless, I agree, which is why I feel he needs time to bed in. If he was told that the jersey was his for say the 6n then we may see him play like he does week in week out at Dave Parade. That is not really a luxury that can usually be afforded to a player.

SubsBench

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:53 pm

I think people seem to forget that hes never had a decent string of games for Wales. Hes always picked for the crappy games that the whole team plays badly in. Charteris has been in the Wales squad for a long time and has only just established himself and is now worshiped by most Welsh fans. Id like to see him given a few games in a row to see if he can settle.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:04 pm

Brew is like many other players, just doesn't produce for his country. I hope that changes as I would like to see him, Cuthbert and North fight for the wing berths

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry2899 Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:35 pm

Brew! Brew! Brew!
No! No! No!

Harry2899

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry2899 Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:38 pm

Wingers who are better than Brew:

North, Cuthbert, Liam Williams, Halfpenny, Czekaj, Tom James, Cristiano Ronaldo, Gareth Bale - just to name a few!

Harry2899

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:45 pm

Harry2899 wrote:Wingers who are better than Brew:

North, Cuthbert, Liam Williams, Halfpenny, Czekaj, Tom James, Cristiano Ronaldo, Gareth Bale - just to name a few!

You forgot me. I am 6'2, 18 stones and play 3 but I am a better winger than Brew

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:00 pm

So Harry, you don't like physical wingers who hit rucks and score tries?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:32 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote:So Harry, you don't like physical wingers who hit rucks and score tries?

He's scored 2 tries for wales...against a scratch barbarians team and possibly the worst team in the world cup besides Russia.

Not to mention the match against Namibia he was subbed for North...who made a bigger impact in those 20 minutes than brew did in 60. Face it, Brew is not the answer at 11 and never will be. He was horrendous at the Ospreys and even worse at the Blues...he's found a bit of form at the Dragons, great, but he still isn't international quality.

He's terrible in defence, sure he can make the odd big hit here and there when there's a looped pass or an attacker who won't see him...but one on one? He's like a turnstile. I shudder to think what would happen if he lined up against the likes of Habana, Ioane or any other top class internation winger.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by RuckingFlanker86 Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:14 am

Complete myths all of then, MOTM against the Scarlets friday.

RuckingFlanker86

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:04 am

Brew looked good on Friday against the Scarlets reserves (6 first choice backs unavailable) but still ended up on the losing side.

In fact Brew allways looks good for the Dragons, unfortunately he has not looked good for anyone else he has played for, including Wales.

I think that North, Halfpenny, Stoddart are all infront of him. Cuthbert and Liam Williams also both look the part. I fear Brew has a lot to do!

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:07 am

Brew is by no means the finished article, yes he is a lump but he also has a terrible pass and i am not sure he has real pace

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:08 am

I thought Brew looked good for Wales against the baa-baas.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:09 am

Gatland must be a real clown to have taken Brew to the World Cup then, mustn't he?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:18 am

He lacks something. What's his finsihing like. He ballsed up a couple of passes v Scarlets the other day

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:32 am

Brew knows what he's about and gives 110%.Pretty good starting point but when added to his power and pace he is a very useful unit.Given as many games as Huw Bennett he would be an established member of the team.Some people are getting a bit obsessed with bringing in non-shavers.Get a grip.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:44 am

Fair enough but then why is he not in the mix...something must be missing

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:20 pm

Gatts wrote:why is he not in the mix...something must be missing

Either that or Gatland wants to see how the alternatives (Cuthbert) cope with international rugby ahead of the Six Nations.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyOsp Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:10 am

I like watching Brew as a club player, but truth is, he never really looks like he's ready when making the step up to the international game.

Let him have his chance if he's playing well and there's no one else available but to be honest, over these next few years we're going to see the likes of Cuthbert, Robinson and Dirksen come into their own.

Laugh it off if you want but Cuthbert is a beast on the sevens circuit and has been devastating for the Blues, Robinson has impressed everytime i've seen him in a red shirt (u20's) and having a good time in the sevens and Dirksen is already contending for a starting spot down at the Ospreys, despite coming from a country with next to no interest in rugby!

And they're just the one's we know about now..

CurlyOsp

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:19 am

I agree. Brew is like Varndell was. Just couldn't perform on the biggest stage. You have to take your chances when given them and he just hasn't, like Tom James. I like Cuthbert and feel that he, North and Stoddart are a good wing cadre with 1/2 as another option. I don't know Robinson or Dirksen

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:57 pm

Harry Robinson looks a great little player. Hanno Dirksen doesn't look that good from what I've seen of him.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next