The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sky announce F1 HD Channel

+2
Critical_mass
Fernando
6 posters

Go down

Sky announce F1 HD Channel  Empty Sky announce F1 HD Channel

Post by Fernando Fri 25 Nov 2011, 4:25 pm

Sky Sports is to launch a dedicated channel for its new in-depth Formula 1 coverage, taking viewers under the skin of the sport.

Starting in March 2012, Sky Sports F1 HD will get Sky customers closer than ever, with more action, analysis and information - on their TV, online and mobile devices - throughout the season.

This new home of Formula 1 will be the only place to enjoy live coverage of the whole Grand Prix season, including all practice and qualifying sessions and every race in the calendar.

From its launch, Sky Sports F1 HD will give viewers:

EVERY RACE LIVE: From March to November, every moment of each race will be live in HD, without the interruption of adverts.

LIVE PRACTICE AND QUALIFYING: Every practice and qualifying session for each Grand Prix will be shown live on one channel, Sky Sports F1 HD.

THE FULL SEASON IN-DEPTH: Over nine months, viewers will have a wealth of programmes with in-depth interviews, archive action and weekly magazine shows.

EXTRA LIVE CONTENT: Through Sky's interactive service, fans can follow the action through on-board cameras, go behind the scenes with the teams in the pits, and follow race data, to take them further inside the sport.

The dedicated channel will be provided at no extra charge to all Sky TV customers who take both Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 2 or the HD pack of channels. It will be found at 408 in Sky's on-screen guide, after a scheduled move of the Sky Sports channels. Sky Sports viewers without the Sky+ HD pack will receive a standard definition version.

Sky Sports F1 HD viewers can also follow the action wherever they are with all live coverage on Sky Go, through online, mobile or tablet devices, at no extra charge.
SKY SPORTS F1 HD
Launches March 2012
Click here for more info

Announcing the new channel, Barney Francis, Managing Director of Sky Sports, said: "Formula 1 followers are hungry for more and we want to give them the ultimate experience. It's not just every minute of every race but a channel devoted to Formula 1.

"We can now tell the whole story of the season, from every Grand Prix, from start to finish. Formula 1 will get the full Sky Sports treatment. We have big plans for live shows and a rich line-up of Formula 1 programmes; getting to the drivers, exploring the technology and lapping up the drama.

"With a dedicated channel for Formula 1 we can also give all sports fans the depth and breadth of sports they demand every weekend, right through the year."

Jeremy Darroch, Sky's Chief Executive, added: "This brand new channel again proves Sky's commitment to investing in the best content for customers. It will give even more value to Sky customers and create another reason for others to consider pay TV.

"This is another example of the value we are creating for customers through our content leadership. It follows the recent launch of other high-quality new channels like Sky Atlantic and Sky 3D as well as our growing commitment to UK original content in areas such as drama, comedy and the arts."

source: http://f1.sky.com

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Sky announce F1 HD Channel  Empty Re: Sky announce F1 HD Channel

Post by Guest Fri 25 Nov 2011, 5:07 pm

So to confirm its being shown on Sky Sports F1 HD but will be available in a Non-HD Formula 1 channel for existing Sky subscribers without the HD package? I must admit watching the races on non-hd will be difficult to take because the difference in detail and colour is huge. I guess we can still turn over to watch the BBC HD races when they are on (10 races I believe BBC are showing). I guess we will now await the confirmation of the new presenter (Simon Lazenby).

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Fri 25 Nov 2011, 7:01 pm

Id presume if you have a normal sky box you won't see it in HD but if you do have a HD box you will , Jake is staying with the BBC just down to DC and Brundle now

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Fri 25 Nov 2011, 10:07 pm

how much how much how much?

EDIT - oooh channel is free to sky sports customers AND sky HD customers. Thats good news for some of us at least. Means i dont have to fork out for sky sports like i thought i would as i have sky HD.

Last edited by Critical_mass on Fri 25 Nov 2011, 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Fri 25 Nov 2011, 10:09 pm

According to a statement issued by Sky, the new channel will be available at no extra charge to existing subscribers to Sky Sports 1 and 2, or Sky HD and will also be available both online and through mobile devices on Sky Go.

Those fans with a HD subscription will be able to view the action in standard definition. < I don't get this bit

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Fri 25 Nov 2011, 10:15 pm

ah didnt see the last bit. Yeah that doesnt makes sense, but its better than nothing, certainly better than having to pay £40 a month for the sports channel.

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Fri 25 Nov 2011, 10:23 pm

THE FULL SEASON IN-DEPTH: Over nine months, viewers will have a wealth of programmes with in-depth interviews, archive action and weekly magazine shows.

This is the bit that im looking forward to most id presume they can use anything the FOM own?

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Fri 25 Nov 2011, 10:24 pm

Im starting to think this could be better than the BBC coverage.

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Fri 25 Nov 2011, 10:28 pm

Archive action would be ace. I did like the Classic F1 races the beeb put on the red button.

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by Belgarion of Riva Fri 25 Nov 2011, 10:28 pm

I'm looking forward to the SKY coverage as well. If it's anything like the football coverage, then we are in for superb programming.

I heard they've signed MB to the commentary team as well

Belgarion of Riva

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Fri 25 Nov 2011, 10:30 pm

Martin Brundle, ok some of his comments i dont like the biased in them. But putting that to one side he is one of the better commentators. So im happy for him to come across.

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 25 Nov 2011, 10:38 pm

I cant really see what SKY are going to improve in relation to the BBC. There promising much more information and in depth features but everyone knows that the teams are unwilling to reveal their information in detail and will only allow limited access in attempt to gain any advantage on its rivals. I mean even radio messages are now so coded and difficult to understand, this just emphasises my point that I don't think SKY understand. I fear they will come out with all this hype regarding new features but realistically the BBC have uncovered a vast majority of what is possibly available to them.

Steve Rider in-depth interviews will be shocking and archive action is nothing new, just updates people who are new to F1 and have little knowledge of past seasons. Hopefully the magazine shows are slightly better than 'Inside Grand Prix' on Motors TV but we'll have to wait and see.

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 27 Nov 2011, 11:12 am

Good points john. I think any "additional content" will just be more bland, unrevealing interviews with various personnel and maybe stats reviews, for those that like that kind of thing.

I'd agree that the BBC has probably got as far "under the skin of F1" as the teams are willing to allow and would be surprised if Sky's coverage offered anything really new.

Have they confirmed this new channel will be ad-free?
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Belgarion of Riva Sun 27 Nov 2011, 1:40 pm

dyrewolfe wrote:Good points john. I think any "additional content" will just be more bland, unrevealing interviews with various personnel and maybe stats reviews, for those that like that kind of thing.

I'd agree that the BBC has probably got as far "under the skin of F1" as the teams are willing to allow and would be surprised if Sky's coverage offered anything really new.

Have they confirmed this new channel will be ad-free?

SKY have already confirmed there will be no adverts whatsoever during races

Belgarion of Riva

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 27 Nov 2011, 1:55 pm

So does this mean they will not be shown on Sky 1 or Sky 2? Or will they be on Sky 1 or Sky 2 AND on this Sky F1 channel?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sun 27 Nov 2011, 2:18 pm

It'll just be on the sky f1 channel

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sun 27 Nov 2011, 2:28 pm

It's now official Martin Brundle is moving to SKY for the 2012 season

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 27 Nov 2011, 2:34 pm

lol Sky's final at of revenge against the free-to-air laws in this world is complete. I think it may infringe our human rights.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Mon 28 Nov 2011, 10:26 pm

No doubt Sky will make a good job of the coverage. It is just a shame many millions of F1/ motor sports fans will miss out.

I thought that any Sky F1 channel would have been pay-per-view though. If they are going to add the Sky F1 channel to the Sky Sports 1 & 2 package then why not open the channel up to all Sky subscribers?

If by adding the Sky F1 channel to the Sky Sports package Sky increase the price of that package, I don't think those who just watch football, say, will be happy paying more.

If Sky are not going to increase the price of that package and therefore not charge any extra for the F1 channel why not let all Sky customers view the F1 channel and therefore increasing the audience and advertising revenue?

That said I think Bernie Ecclestone should have done more in the deal with Sky to make sure they shown F1 to the widest audience. Sports on BBC/ ITV regularly get around 6 times more than on Sky. So if 6m current watch F1 on BBC, Sky can expect about 1m viewers.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Mon 28 Nov 2011, 10:34 pm

the F1 channel will be free to Sky HD views who dont have sky sports... thats the impession im under.

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 28 Nov 2011, 10:37 pm

Correct OK

Also for people with freeview its rumored to be £10 a month like espn

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Mon 28 Nov 2011, 10:40 pm

£10 a month aint too bad (ok its not free like on the BBC, but its time people start to accept this is going to happen).

I hope thats existing customers and not new customers, you know what companies are like.

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Mon 28 Nov 2011, 10:44 pm

existing sky customers i meant

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 28 Nov 2011, 11:00 pm

all sky customers

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Mon 28 Nov 2011, 11:08 pm

Cool!

You have sky Fernando?

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 28 Nov 2011, 11:17 pm

indeed i do thumbsup

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Mon 28 Nov 2011, 11:40 pm

On their website it states that Sky F1 will be free to Sky Sports subscribers and Sky HD subscribers.

So I presume those like me who have Sky but not Sky Sports or Sky HD will have to purchase the F1 channel separately.

I'm not to sure how many people who don't already have Sky Sports will be purchasing it.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down