The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should Stephen Jones Retire From International Rugby ?

+18
TycroesOsprey
Morgannwg
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
gavstar
tooboredtowork
George Carlin
flyhalffactory
Harry2899
Gatts
gowales
Totallybiasedscarlet
Taffineastbourne
maestegmafia
majesticimperialman
dogtooth
Seagultaf
Cymroglan
Londonwelsh
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Should Stephen Jones Retire From International Rugby ?

Should Stephen Jones Retire From International Rugby ? - Page 2 Vote_lcap42%Should Stephen Jones Retire From International Rugby ? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 42% 
[ 16 ]
Should Stephen Jones Retire From International Rugby ? - Page 2 Vote_lcap58%Should Stephen Jones Retire From International Rugby ? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 58% 
[ 22 ]

Total Votes : 38

Should Stephen Jones Retire From International Rugby ? - Page 2 Empty Should Stephen Jones Retire From International Rugby ?

Post by Londonwelsh Sat 26 Nov 2011, 6:29 pm

First topic message reminder :

Stephen Jones will never be every rugby supporter’s cup tea but very few can argue with what the man has achieved in the game. Jones is the record cap holder for Wales and he is joint eighth on the List of rugby union Test caps leaders. Jones is sixth in the list of leading Rugby union Test point scorers, and the second-highest Wales player on the list behind Neil Jenkins. A key member of our 2 Grand Slams and will be regarded as a Welsh rugby great.

That’s why I am disappointed by Stephen’s decision not to retire from international rugby. Stephen should have retired after the World Cup after seeing how much Priestland had come of age in the world cup. I felt this would have been the right decision by Jones had he done this. It would have been so much better for Jones to end his international career on his terms. Now it seems Gatland has ended it for him as he did for Martyn Williams which is sad but as we now know with Gatland there’s no room for sentiment in international rugby.

We have a wealth of talent coming through at 10 with Priestland, Bigger, Hook, Tovey so it’s not as if we have a shortage in that department. Jones playing for Wales would only block the talent coming through.

Also what is gained by Jones continuing for Wales?

Warren Gatland has made it clear that only players who will still be around for the 2015 World Cup will be considered for the Six Nations in the new year. Jones will be 34 next month so obviously he won’t be around for the next World Cup. He’s achieved so much in the game already so what’s the point of sticking around just for a couple of more caps?

I have a lot of respect for Jones and have always thought he never really got the credit he deserved at times. However I have to say thanks for the memories Stephen but do the right thing and retire and let the youngsters have a chance to shine and achieve the same if not more than what you have.

Londonwelsh
Londonwelsh

Back to top Go down

Should Stephen Jones Retire From International Rugby ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should Stephen Jones Retire From International Rugby ?

Post by gavstar Sat 10 Dec 2011, 3:01 am

all our chatter about henson tells us all one thing---as rugby fans we know whats missing in the team , not necessarily henson , but a henson 'playalike'
if he can come back great, if not we need a player like him, lets get searching!!!
young priestland needs help. roberts is his own man (yeah!)
middle of the park we are weak,we need a quick thinker in attack, and organised, reliable in defence. anyone fit the bill welcome!!!

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Should Stephen Jones Retire From International Rugby ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should Stephen Jones Retire From International Rugby ?

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sat 10 Dec 2011, 10:33 am

I'm sure I could give it a go - I'm only about 5 stone over weight but am 6ft 4 and in age grade rugby did used to have some nice handling (for a foward)

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sat 10 Dec 2011, 11:52 am

Should Stephen Jones retire........

No not unless he wants to!

He was superb against the Dragons and in the first half against Ulster, he also played well against the Ospreys. No doubt he is playing better than Biggar and Tovey at present. Hook is also having an unhappy time in France 7 losses in a row, Coach sacked and last week he was not even in the 22.

Gatland should pick the best two available players in each position and back them up with those younger players most likely to make the grade.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2