The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Insane Achievements of Roger Federer

+16
barrystar
JuliusHMarx
sirfredperry
HarpoMars
Tenez
invisiblecoolers
break_in_the_fifth
lags72
legendkillar
reckoner
noleisthebest
coolpixel
time please
Chazfazzer
wow
bogbrush
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Insane Achievements of Roger Federer Empty The Insane Achievements of Roger Federer

Post by bogbrush Sun 27 Nov 2011, 8:37 pm

It's been an epic career, and perhaps more to come. I know we all know this stuff, but it bears repeating;

6 Wimbledons
5 US Opens
4 Australians
6 WTFs

only when we get to the French do we have to resort to invoking finals to show a staggering record, but when we do that we get 5 - more than many excellent clay court exponents.

Throw in 1 week short of Sampras' weeks at No 1.

Oh, and a run of 10 consecurive Slam finals, and the 2nd best run of 8 too. And those runs were separated by a semi-final, so 18 Slam finals out of 19 events.

And all done by playing with a virtuosity that most observers - including his peers - consider quite exquisite.

Yeah, I'm a fan!
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

The Insane Achievements of Roger Federer Empty Re: The Insane Achievements of Roger Federer

Post by wow Sun 27 Nov 2011, 8:38 pm

bogbrush wrote:It's been an epic career, and perhaps more to come. I know we all know this stuff, but it bears repeating;

6 Wimbledons
5 US Opens
4 Australians
6 WTFs

only when we get to the French do we have to resort to invoking finals to show a staggering record, but when we do that we get 5 - more than many excellent clay court exponents.

Throw in 1 week short of Sampras' weeks at No 1.

Oh, and a run of 10 consecurive Slam finals, and the 2nd best run of 8 too. And those runs were separated by a semi-final, so 18 Slam finals out of 19 events.

And all done by playing with a virtuosity that most observers - including his peers - consider quite exquisite.

Yeah, I'm a fan!

Roger is the best. clap clap clap

wow

Back to top Go down

The Insane Achievements of Roger Federer Empty Re: The Insane Achievements of Roger Federer

Post by wow Sun 27 Nov 2011, 8:39 pm

70 titles and 100 finals Smile

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by Chazfazzer Sun 27 Nov 2011, 8:39 pm

You're forgetting his most amazing achievement - that amazing hair.

In all seriousness, 18 Slam finals out of 19 events is simply incredible.

Chazfazzer

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Sun 27 Nov 2011, 8:42 pm

Just when we think he might be done - what's to say, apart from Bubbly here's to 2012 and whatever it may bring!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by coolpixel Sun 27 Nov 2011, 8:46 pm

Hey BB some good stuff and a good week

coolpixel

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 27 Nov 2011, 8:48 pm

It'll be such a shame when he finally hangs up the racquet, hopefully days like today mean it won't be for a while yet.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by coolpixel Sun 27 Nov 2011, 8:51 pm

Yes none of the current crop really excite me so ...delpo was good but its unlikely that he will gain his mojo back.

coolpixel

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun 27 Nov 2011, 8:55 pm

bogbrush wrote:It'll be such a shame when he finally hangs up the racquet, hopefully days like today mean it won't be for a while yet.

enjoy it while it lasts Smile

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Sun 27 Nov 2011, 8:56 pm

bogbrush wrote:It'll be such a shame when he finally hangs up the racquet, hopefully days like today mean it won't be for a while yet.

I am going to be very sad when Roger Federer will retire and then day Sachin Tendulkar retires. I nearly cried on the day when Lara hung his bat Sad

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 27 Nov 2011, 8:57 pm

Fed's list of achievements are staggering.

Also the 23 consecutive semi-finals in slams and the 30 and still counting quarters.

Played in all slam finals at least 5 times each Shocked

Bravo TMF, long may it continue. For me he has been the most oustanding individual sportsman of this century so far.

ghost

emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Sun 27 Nov 2011, 8:59 pm

I am sure when he does, it will be a year off then straight onto the Champions Tour Very Happy

Seriously, he just seems to love it as much as he ever did with no sign that he finds the tour more onerous, even with young children - just as long as his body holds up, I think he will be around on one tour, or the other!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 27 Nov 2011, 9:01 pm

Oh, also wanna add;

The most match wins in WTF (tied with Lendl)

Most match wins in masters series.

And soon to be, most match wins at slam level (just a few matches behind Connors at the moment).

He has been the most consistent and dominant champion in ALL the big events in the history of tennis.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 27 Nov 2011, 9:02 pm

time please wrote:I am sure when he does, it will be a year off then straight onto the Champions Tour Very Happy

Seriously, he just seems to love it as much as he ever did with no sign that he finds the tour more onerous, even with young children - just as long as his body holds up, I think he will be around on one tour, or the other!

If/when Fed plays on the Champions tour it might start to upstage the main tour Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Sun 27 Nov 2011, 9:06 pm

emancipator wrote:
time please wrote:I am sure when he does, it will be a year off then straight onto the Champions Tour Very Happy

If/when Fed plays on the Champions tour it might start to upstage the main tour Laugh

Absolutely - with Johnny Mac and Fed on the Champs tour - a little bit of seventh heaven for me!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 27 Nov 2011, 9:08 pm

emancipator wrote:

That is not unrealistic.

He will also have to be nobbled to make that tour competitive. Fed is the kind of guy who could be playing really good tennis when he's 60 - what he has won't collapse with age (bit like Johnny Mac in that respect).
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Sun 27 Nov 2011, 9:21 pm

Always seemed a bit of an underachiever to me...

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 27 Nov 2011, 9:24 pm

reckoner wrote:Always seemed a bit of an underachiever to me...
Ironically, up to 23 that is exactly what he was.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by coolpixel Sun 27 Nov 2011, 9:39 pm

" Always seemed a bit of an underachiever to me."

Agreed. For a good 250 odd consecutive weeks he did not move up the ranks. Should be ashamed of himself

coolpixel

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun 27 Nov 2011, 9:42 pm

Where are Nadal fans to spoil the party Cool

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by coolpixel Sun 27 Nov 2011, 9:43 pm

Hey nitb, your man did well given his season. Nothing to be ashamed of. I am sure next year he will do better

coolpixel

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Sun 27 Nov 2011, 9:47 pm

coolpixel wrote:" Always seemed a bit of an underachiever to me."

Agreed. For a good 250 odd consecutive weeks he did not move up the ranks. Should be ashamed of himself

Very Happy

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun 27 Nov 2011, 9:51 pm

coolpixel wrote:Hey nitb, your man did well given his season. Nothing to be ashamed of. I am sure next year he will do better

And not just next year....but let not that ruin your night Laugh

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun 27 Nov 2011, 9:56 pm

Tenez,

we look forward to your post-match musings once your adrenaline levels come down to safe levels Hug

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Sun 27 Nov 2011, 9:58 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Where are Nadal fans to spoil the party Cool

They disappeared long time ago. Only Lydian is left and he too posts very rarely these days.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Sun 27 Nov 2011, 10:03 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
coolpixel wrote:Hey nitb, your man did well given his season. Nothing to be ashamed of. I am sure next year he will do better

And not just next year....but let not that ruin your night Laugh

He's getting ANOTHER egg chamber?!

Shocked

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Sun 27 Nov 2011, 10:05 pm

bogbrush wrote:

Wasn't he 21 when he won Wimbledon in 2003, a month away from his 22nd birthday? He was born in August 1981, so he was 22 in August 2003 by my reckoning, or have I drunk too much vino (again)?

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun 27 Nov 2011, 10:06 pm

I thought I'd bring gifts to the party. this is the last paragraph of the match write-up on tennis.com:

More important for the future, Federer also remains the king of the long haul. While Djokovic and Rafael Nadal, beaten down by the long season, were half-there in both mind and body, the 30-year-old Federer savored and enjoyed every moment of London as if he were winning his first title, rather than playing in his 100th final. He finishes 2011 not as the best player in the world or the champion at its biggest tournaments, but as the last man standing, the last man smiling, the last man crying, the last man winning. You get the feeling that he'll be doing all of those things for some time to come.

—Steve Tignor

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 27 Nov 2011, 10:11 pm

time please wrote:
bogbrush wrote:

Wasn't he 21 when he won Wimbledon in 2003, a month away from his 22nd birthday? He was born in August 1981, so he was 22 in August 2003 by my reckoning, or have I drunk too much vino (again)?

Just me being lazy.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sun 27 Nov 2011, 11:00 pm

The Rafateers never actually came out and rubbed salt in the wounds of Federer fans or clog the boards with 'Nadal' is the GOAT.

So guys show some respect to those not here to speak for themselves.

Please get back to the topic at hand and the phenomena that is Federer.

Thanks

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun 27 Nov 2011, 11:11 pm

legendkillar wrote:The Rafateers never actually came out and rubbed salt in the wounds of Federer fans or clog the boards with 'Nadal' is the GOAT.

So guys show some respect to those not here to speak for themselves.

Please get back to the topic at hand and the phenomena that is Federer.

Thanks

when Nole beat Nadal in Madrid, I posted an article and was obviously elated, had a few of Yahoo smileys, which were REMOVED and I was told to tone down....thin skinned bunch and I don't miss them. they were never interested in tennis, just oogling Nadal, the website is the living proof. Shame there are so few Nadal fans who actually like tennis as well.
Back to the topic.

so what record do you think Federer will break next?

Last edited by noleisthebest on Sun 27 Nov 2011, 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 27 Nov 2011, 11:11 pm

Final warning. Stop posting links to that 'other site'
Next person who does, gets a session in the sin bin.

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 27 Nov 2011, 11:15 pm

First I've heard of a problem with it. What's the history? Lots of other links go ok.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 27 Nov 2011, 11:22 pm

You and your friends leave a forum and set up a site with a forum.
The members on the forum you have left ridicule you, take the 'p' out of you and post links to your site, which enables everyone to see it, and possibly join up to annoy/wum you and cause trouble.
You think thats ok to do?

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 27 Nov 2011, 11:33 pm

Well I didn't know you felt that way about it.

My own opinion is that it's a public forum (the other one) and referencing it doesn't seem immoral in any way. I certainly haven't joined it (I can't imagine wanting to). Up to you though, it's your forum.

For what it's worth, people can feel free to take the "p" out of me any time they like.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Sun 27 Nov 2011, 11:34 pm

Y I Man wrote:You and your friends leave a forum and set up a site with a forum.
The members on the forum you have left ridicule you, take the 'p' out of you and post links to your site, which enables everyone to see it, and possibly join up to annoy/wum you and cause trouble.
You think thats ok to do?

you are making a mole out of a mountain. I quite like woofie's site. I would want to do something for Fed. I don't think anyway is taking the p... out. I admire it and ame might be true for others.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sun 27 Nov 2011, 11:35 pm

I genuinely wasn't aware of the background, so apologies from me as one who has just had a post deleted in which I commented on the site in question.

I'm more than happy to get this warning (and deletion), which I see as a small price to pay to help keep 606v2 as wum-free as possible.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun 27 Nov 2011, 11:40 pm

lags72 wrote:I genuinely wasn't aware of the background, so apologies from me as one who has just had a post deleted in which I commented on the site in question.

I'm more than happy to get this warning (and deletion), which I see as a small price to pay to help keep 606v2 as wum-free as possible.

The point is THERE IS NO BACKGROUND.

A few months ago I stumbled upon that website, thought it was hilarious and posted the link. A few people made reasonable comments and then all was removed.

This is the first time I have seen the reason, so far it was only the threats.

Bogbrush did just like me when I posted the link and received the same "treatment".

Personally, I don't think that "WUMS" would come here because of it, but since I'm not a founder I''ll shut up.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Sun 27 Nov 2011, 11:44 pm

What website is this?

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Sun 27 Nov 2011, 11:47 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
lags72 wrote:I genuinely wasn't aware of the background, so apologies from me as one who has just had a post deleted in which I commented on the site in question.

The point is THERE IS NO BACKGROUND.

A few months ago I stumbled upon that website, thought it was hilarious and posted the link. A few people made reasonable comments and then all was removed.

This is the first time I have seen the reason, so far it was only the threats.

Bogbrush did just like me when I posted the link and received the same "treatment".

Personally, I don't think that "WUMS" would come here because of it, but since I'm not a founder I''ll shut up.

nitb, we dont have to shut up. If the founder deletes posts randomly then lot of us too will move to other forum. We found this after 606 and there might be 606v3 if not ja 606 and even tennis.com and MTL is there too. I dont venture out at MTL too often but if this is the case going to be here then I will stop posting here entirley. I come here because of the posters and not the site.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun 27 Nov 2011, 11:47 pm

break_in_the_fifth wrote:What website is this?
Laugh

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 27 Nov 2011, 11:48 pm

Let's not fall out with YI Man, we have a good forum here. I totally don't grasp the stance on "that forum" but it's a minor point against the rest of what we have here on 606v2.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun 27 Nov 2011, 11:59 pm

bogbrush wrote:Let's not fall out with YI Man, we have a good forum here. I totally don't grasp the stance on "that forum" but it's a minor point against the rest of what we have here on 606v2.

agreed steam

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 28 Nov 2011, 12:01 am

Agree with BB,

YI Man does a great job moderating on here.

We should respectfully comply with his wishes.

It's not like he makes a million demands each week.

ghost

emancipator - universe's foremost diplomat

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Mon 28 Nov 2011, 4:26 am

He is a boon to tennis, I am proud I am born in the same generation of his.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by coolpixel Mon 28 Nov 2011, 8:42 am

very good intervew post yesterday's final.

http://www.ubitennis.com/english/sport/tennis/2011/11/27/627658-roger_federer_2011.shtml

and a quote from that interview. that quote has to be savoured and applied in each one of our own lives.

"I used to be famous for not being consistent. I think this one proves to me that I was able, and proves to maybe many people, that if I can be, then many other people can be successful for a long period of time, as well, because I thought that was a very difficult thing to achieve."

also read his interesting comments about best of 5 sets @ WTF Finals

coolpixel

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon 28 Nov 2011, 9:20 am

Thx for the link CP.

Quotes of interest!

I think I was able to stay calm mentally throughout that third set, because at that point, it's very easy to lose your mind over what just happened.
That is what was most obvious live yesterday and probably the most impressive. He would have achieved less than half without this quality.

Everybody bring in their own ideas, giving their own opinions, because in some way winning solves everything.
When you do lose, a lot of more problems come out. You see a lot more problems than there actually are. It's like in the press room, not everyone can win the tournament, so they say you played poorly because you lost. I don't always agree with that. It's someone on a team that can create that vibe.

Honestly, how many times did I say that for all players? he loses he is crap, he wins he is the best and nothing needs changing. That's not true. Sometimes you are the better player but lose and sometimes the other way around....but then you reach a zone of confidence, when you win almost everything, being best or ...not.

I love this game more than anybody, so I'm not all of a sudden going to wake up in the morning and say I don't like it anymore.
So obvious by his style of play.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Mon 28 Nov 2011, 9:32 am

It's a really interesting interview coolpixel - thanks for sharing!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by HarpoMars Mon 28 Nov 2011, 3:00 pm

Have you guys seen the behind the scenes 'marathon media blitz' on the ATP website where it shows all the things Roger had to do after the win. Well worth a watch...

HarpoMars

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Mon 28 Nov 2011, 3:17 pm

This is really interesting as well Harpo - good PR for the tour, I think

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next