The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chris Ashton starts brawl at Welford Road

+42
Heaf
Knowsit17
Manu's Boxing Coach
munkian
JDandfries
Portnoy
maestegmafia
thebandwagonsociety
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Casartelli
nathan
robbo277
Cymroglan
B91212
Baggy42
maverickmak
greybeard
niwatts
ME-109
Glas a du
brennomac
Comfort
yappysnap
HammerofThunor
hawalsh
TJ1
Rory_Gallagher
Geordie
LordDowlais
Dubbelyew L Overate
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
R!skysports
Time For Trumpton
geoff998rugby
formerly known as Sam
caoimhincentre
Standulstermen
beshocked
LondonTiger
red_stag
mckay1402
Metal Tiger
46 posters

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Chris Ashton starts brawl at Welford Road - Page 4 Empty Chris Ashton starts brawl at Welford Road

Post by Metal Tiger Mon 05 Dec 2011, 9:52 am

First topic message reminder :

A seperate thread away from the main Tigers V Saints game post to discuss in more detail the incident provoked by Chris Aston.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0dcme2wCGBs#!

For those who haven't seen/heard the incident yet... Alessano Tuilagi makes a break down the wing (crumbie side) and hands off Chris Ashton. Chris Ashton grabs hold of Tuiagis hair as he goes bay and swings him to the ground, then taking a firm grip on his dreadlocks, drags him across the pitch into touch.

Tuilagi is less than happy. As he stands up he gives Ashton a dig in the ribs.

I think it was Matt Smith (?) runs in to try and split them up.

Courtney Lawes runs in and starts swinging.

Players from both team pile in to join or sperate (depending on your point of view I suppose).

Geordan Murphy jumps in and launches a couple back at Courtney.

Tom Wood runs across the park and delivers a flurry of punches into the melee.

The ball boy who is stood watching a little too close gets swallowed up the brawl and lucky not to be injured.

Officials finally restore order.

Barnes in a shocking & disgraceful decision red cards Tuilagi (the victim of Ashtons foul & dangerous play) and then red cards Tom Wood (fair enough decision I thought).

Ashton walks away unpunished and (alledgedly from some of the supporters in the Crumbie, although I didn't see this) grinning & winking at the crowd.

This should go before the citing panel this week and lengthy bans for Ashton, Lawes & Wood. Most likely Murphy too. But will Alessano also pick up a ban for reacting to Ashtons attack in the way he did? Unfair to be sure, but likely.

Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Chris Ashton starts brawl at Welford Road - Page 4 Empty Re: Chris Ashton starts brawl at Welford Road

Post by maestegmafia Tue 06 Dec 2011, 10:38 am

beshocked wrote:Of course it has to do with nationality. You and LordDowlais are Welsh. You mention the Scarlets team (a Welsh side).

It is that type of superpatriot presupposition that ruins your posting credibility.

It is not because we are Welsh read the other posts on the the many threads on Saints behaviour, most complaints about Saints behaviour are from Englishman based on the Saints behaviour in the Aviva not against Welsh teams.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Chris Ashton starts brawl at Welford Road - Page 4 Empty Re: Chris Ashton starts brawl at Welford Road

Post by beshocked Tue 06 Dec 2011, 10:47 am

Maestegmafia please point out these Englishman. If you do I will concede my point. Yes there has been some Irish complaints too but not any English I have seen.

I think Leicester fans can be the most aggreived but do you see any complaints from them?

I have posting credibility? Nice of you to think I do.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 06 Dec 2011, 11:56 am

Metal Tiger wrote:
Ashton, while a very talented winger and one of Englands top try scorers does stupid things from time to time and needs to sort his head out as he is arrogant. But there is a culture of 'needle' at Saints anyway...

OzT wrote:Then again would like to know what the rest of Northampton side thinks of their more flamboyant teamates. Are they behind Ashton and Hartley everytime they pul a stunt and gets the oppos backs up, or do they think drat, here we go again? I would suspect they have the full backing of their team mates and management

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 06 Dec 2011, 11:57 am

beshocked wrote:Maestegmafia please point out these Englishman. If you do I will concede my point. Yes there has been some Irish complaints too but not any English I have seen.

I think Leicester fans can be the most aggreived but do you see any complaints from them?

I have posting credibility? Nice of you to think I do.

We are too busy blaming everything on the Ospreys and Venteer

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 06 Dec 2011, 12:01 pm

Wow stop. This is not a Wales v England wummathon thread!

I don't care who started it, or which crappy illogical points have been made by whom.

GIVE OVER!

NOW LETS HAVE A NICE DECENT DEBATE ABOUT HOW LONG ASHTON SHOULD BE BANNED FOR.

I say it should be 4 months at least, however will be surprised if they go for more than 2 months.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 06 Dec 2011, 12:03 pm

It'll be a couple of weeks probably

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 06 Dec 2011, 12:14 pm

I apologise maestegmafia you were right about Metal Tiger. Is OzT English?

Peter seabiscuit surely you can't blame Venter anymore? He's behind the scenes now.

Glas a Du I think Ashton should get 3 weeks as should Wood,A.Tuilagi,Lawes,Agulla and Murphy. Maybe overly harsh on A.Tuilagi but he did connect with Ashton in some manner.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 06 Dec 2011, 12:17 pm

Ashton surely must get more for kicking it all off? Also I think from your list its only Woods and Tuilagi that have been cited in addition to Ashton.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 06 Dec 2011, 12:20 pm

Ashton didn't punch anyone. Yes he kicked it off but is pulling hair as bad as throwing punches?

Yes I know only woods and Tuilagi are cited but the other two Tigers should too.

Watching greybeard's footage it's really surprising that Murphy isnt cited.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Tue 06 Dec 2011, 12:20 pm

I bet he gets a couple of weeks only

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 06 Dec 2011, 12:29 pm

Watching greybeard's footage it's really surprising that Murphy isnt cited

I expect team bans for Wood and Alesana to make up for the likes of Murphy, Agulla and Lawes input to the melee. Alesana threw Ashton into the hoardings but nout else I could see, expect him to get two weeks because of the input from Geordan and Agulla. I'd expect Wood to get the same as he definitely ran in with the intention of throwing punches (at least three) and for Lawes' involvement. Ashton will get probabley 3 weeks because that sort of idiotic play makes the sport look bad and Ashton is without doubt a serious talent that is in the media eye.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 06 Dec 2011, 12:33 pm

If no-one had got a yellow card Ashton would have been the only one cited. It was a scuffle with some players flailling about a bit. The worst thing was the thing that started it. The only reason they got reds was because of what happened the year before and the only reason Woods and Tuilagi are cited was because they had reds.

I still don't see what Lawes did to urine so many people off. Seems to just be going to grab Tuilagi. Given what happened the year before I don't blaim him.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Tue 06 Dec 2011, 12:35 pm

Lawes - ran from a distance away and threw punches

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 06 Dec 2011, 12:39 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
Watching greybeard's footage it's really surprising that Murphy isnt cited

I expect team bans for Wood and Alesana to make up for the likes of Murphy, Agulla and Lawes input to the melee. Alesana threw Ashton into the hoardings but nout else I could see, expect him to get two weeks because of the input from Geordan and Agulla. I'd expect Wood to get the same as he definitely ran in with the intention of throwing punches (at least three) and for Lawes' involvement. Ashton will get probabley 3 weeks because that sort of idiotic play makes the sport look bad and Ashton is without doubt a serious talent that is in the media eye.

So Murphy,Agulla and Lawes get off scot free? A great precedent. Basically you're saying it's okay guys. Punch as many times as you want as only half the perpetrators will be made accountable for their actions.

Murphy is Leicester's captain - he is meant to be a role model. He should know better. I like him as a player and a person but if he goes swinging and almost takes out a ball boy he should be banned.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 06 Dec 2011, 12:44 pm

beshocked wrote:Yes he kicked it off but is pulling hair as bad as throwing punches?

Tuilagi was tackled by the hair and then when on all fours and was pulled along the ground.

1 Hair pulling is classed as dirty and ungentlemanly.
2 Tackling by the hair is very painful for the tacklee.
3 dragging a guy who's on all fours by his hair and whilst he's defenceless is cowardly
4 he's been done for unsporting conduct so these are just the sort of things they will be looking at rather than the physical nature of the violence.
5 everything else that went on was caused by this
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Tue 06 Dec 2011, 12:46 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:If no-one had got a yellow card Ashton would have been the only one cited. It was a scuffle with some players flailling about a bit. The worst thing was the thing that started it. The only reason they got reds was because of what happened the year before and the only reason Woods and Tuilagi are cited was because they had reds.

I still don't see what Lawes did to urine so many people off. Seems to just be going to grab Tuilagi. Given what happened the year before I don't blaim him.

Is Alesani Manu's keeper Thunor?
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 06 Dec 2011, 12:47 pm

Aren't there questions to be answered by the Tigers as to what Manu was doing in their touchline area?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 06 Dec 2011, 12:51 pm

beshocked wrote:I apologise maestegmafia you were right
No worries, like i said you have credibility mate...!

beshocked wrote:Glas a Du I think Ashton should get 3 weeks as should Wood,A.Tuilagi,Lawes,Agulla and Murphy. Maybe overly harsh on A.Tuilagi but he did connect with Ashton in some manner.

None of them will get a week if anything.

A lengthy ban would serve nothing in the RFU's eyes, as Beshocked posted earlier and he is right MOST English posters and many other Irish, Scots and Welsh don't see this sort of play as any more than a bit of afters, niggly and silly hand bag stuff.

I disagree and think that some players show a lot of spite and enjoy, relish this kind of behaviour.

In my opinion any player, of any nation, with the attitude that playing with spite is an important part of the sport should face consequences until they learn better. Banning them for a good period or a hefty fine might teach them to grow up and get on with letting their play do the talking...! Which is what the fans of the sport want to see. not leg, hair eye or whatever pulling and punching each other as a result.

The resultant bans for this behaviour should also hurt the clubs that players who misbehave represent. Every club has a code of conduct, some up hold it a hell of a lot better than others.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Tue 06 Dec 2011, 12:53 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Aren't there questions to be answered by the Tigers as to what Manu was doing in their touchline area?

Not really, if he didn't do anything he has an easy defence of "I wanted to make sure my brother didnt make the same mistake i did"

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Tue 06 Dec 2011, 1:04 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Aren't there questions to be answered by the Tigers as to what Manu was doing in their touchline area?

As,

Manu was not banned or anything. Just injured/saved for ASM.

Perhaps Cockers should have pegged him down like a tied goat though.

Oh for the exuberance of youth...

Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 06 Dec 2011, 1:24 pm

beshocked wrote:Of course it has to do with nationality. You and LordDowlais are Welsh. You mention the Scarlets team (a Welsh side).

Sam absolute gem about how Welsh fans should be more supportive of Saints. thumbsup

It wouldn't surprise me if the RFU was being dodgy to suit their own interests. They are corrupt and incompetent anyway.

It is in the RFU's interests if Leicester and Saints players don't get lengthy bans. They want the English sides to perform well in the HC.

If you substituted Quins and Sarries for Leicester and Saints it would be the same result.

Beshocked, I am very offended that you could accuse me of being against somebody because of their nationality. I did not mention and still haven't mentioned any names in any of my posts and you make assumptions about me without even knowing me. Should all the Argentinians during the world cup be treated the same because of the uproar caused by Lawes during their game ? I only mentioned the scarlets game because it was the last Northampton game I watched. I also saw them at Bridgend when they played the Ospreys kids and they were nothing but dirty in that game also. Some of my closest friends are English and I always go back and fore to Twickenham with them to watch the six nations and I return the favour when the game is in Cardiff. I can tell you without a shadow of doubt that I am not anti English. What I am is though is anti dirty player and anti tantrum throwing. All you have done on these posts is try to defend how Northampton go about their business, so you must deem their behaviour as acceptable steam I garauntee you that before the season is out and more than likely in the next few games we will see Northampton again covered in bad press because of the way the conduct themselves on the pitch. Which brings me back to the question that nobody seems to know or want to answer, What in the hell are the coaches teaching them during training and what Is Jim Mallinder instilling into these players during their team talks ? There is a strong case in England for Jim Mallinder to become the next England top man, God help if he is as the press would have a field day if the whole of the England team behaved like Northampton. Again I can only express my dissapointment in the fact that Beshocked has accused me of this. Headscratch

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Tue 06 Dec 2011, 1:35 pm

Dowlais,

Is the press you talk of the Western Mail?

I agree that Ashton, Hartley and Lawes have transgressed the laws too often over the past year. But what goes around comes around.

Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 06 Dec 2011, 1:35 pm

LordDowlais wrote:

Sam absolute gem about how Welsh fans should be more supportive of Saints. thumbsup

It wouldn't surprise me if the RFU was being dodgy to suit their own interests. They are corrupt and incompetent anyway.

It is in the RFU's interests if Leicester and Saints players don't get lengthy bans. They want the English sides to perform well in the HC.

If you substituted Quins and Sarries for Leicester and Saints it would be the same result.

Beshocked, I am very offended that you could accuse me of being against somebody because of their nationality. I did not mention and still haven't mentioned any names in any of my posts and you make assumptions about me without even knowing me. Should all the Argentinians during the world cup be treated the same because of the uproar caused by Lawes during their game ? I only mentioned the scarlets game because it was the last Northampton game I watched. I also saw them at Bridgend when they played the Ospreys kids and they were nothing but dirty in that game also. Some of my closest friends are English and I always go back and fore to Twickenham with them to watch the six nations and I return the favour when the game is in Cardiff. I can tell you without a shadow of doubt that I am not anti English. What I am is though is anti dirty player and anti tantrum throwing. All you have done on these posts is try to defend how Northampton go about their business, so you must deem their behaviour as acceptable steam I garauntee you that before the season is out and more than likely in the next few games we will see Northampton again covered in bad press because of the way the conduct themselves on the pitch. Which brings me back to the question that nobody seems to know or want to answer, What in the hell are the coaches teaching them during training and what Is Jim Mallinder instilling into these players during their team talks ? There is a strong case in England for Jim Mallinder to become the next England top man, God help if he is as the press would have a field day if the whole of the England team behaved like Northampton. Again I can only express my dissapointment in the fact that Beshocked has accused me of this. Headscratch

Apologies I am not saying that you and Maestegmafia are anti English I don't know you well enough. I am saying that you have a criticism against Saints because as a Welshman you saw them play against one of the Welsh regions - Scarlets and were not pleased with what you saw. I personally feel Saints get unfair criticism but you are welcome to disagree. Yes they deserve some but as much as they get? Debatable.

I think Saints need to rein it in but I think there is an overrexageration of how bad Saints are. Lawes and Ashton are like petulant little children. They need to be disciplined but I don't think the actions of a few players should mean the whole Saints team and management should be tarred with the same brush.

I personally don't want Mallinder as next England coach. I want him to win a major trophy first. In my opinion he is still unproven.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 06 Dec 2011, 1:45 pm

O.k Beshocked, I will accept you apologies, but I am not tarring the whole team with the same brush, what I am saying is, if the whole team are punished because of a few idiots then the more sensible players will make the childish ones walk the line so to speak. Then perhaps if the players that we are all referring to have any shred of decency they will see they are affecting the team then start behaving in a more mature manner. Thus performances will improve and the team spirit will be much higher.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 06 Dec 2011, 1:47 pm

Beshocked....

I wouldnt waste your time...because its England...or an English team...or an English player...it automatically becomes far worse than if it was anyone else.
Nothing they have done hasnt been done before by a host of players....but thats neither here nor there!....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Tue 06 Dec 2011, 1:49 pm

I don't see anything specifically relating to hair pulling so will it go under the generic 'any other acts contrary to good sportsmanship' which has a low end 4 weeks and a high end 11+ weeks. He will be low end if I'm to second guess an RFU panel and probably go for either 1 or 3 weeks.

http://www.ercrugby.com/IRB_Recommended_Sanction_Jan_2011_pdf2.pdf

Just using the IRB doc as a guide really. Interesting that it is strikes that are defined in the offences, not swinging arms. A lot of handbags involved really. Agulla coped more damage from the camera later in the game.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 06 Dec 2011, 1:54 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Beshocked....

I wouldnt waste your time...because its England...or an English team...or an English player...it automatically becomes far worse than if it was anyone else.
Nothing they have done hasnt been done before by a host of players....but thats neither here nor there!....

Goerdie, do you really believe this ? If you do then you truly are a biggot.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 06 Dec 2011, 1:56 pm

nathan wrote:

Not really, if he didn't do anything he has an easy defence of "I wanted to make sure my brother didnt make the same mistake i did"
I like it, nathan, I wonder what other excuses we could come up with?

"I wanted to protect the poor wee ball boy"
"I noticed that one of Alesana's corn rows was crooked and wanted to fix it for him"

Any others?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 06 Dec 2011, 1:57 pm

Maestegmafia I agree. thumbsup

Another point LordDowlais. Every single person has bias. Can anyone genuinely say they are unbiased? Everyone looks through tinted spectacles.

Putting into perspective I am a Saracens fan, one our biggest rivals is Saints but has there be much disciplinary problems between the two sides? No not really. A bit of niggle here and there but not much more.

I just feel Lawes and Ashton get a lot of criticism because of their perceived arrogance. Lawes' cocky and hard man act is seen as something to be derided. Ashton's swan dive and silly antics in NZ are used as ammunition to shoot him down. They are flawed individuals. They have let the media get to them. One thing you can say - they are good players and exciting too. Also they give us topics to discuss!

thebandwagonsociety I wouldn't call that handbags.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 06 Dec 2011, 2:03 pm

LordDowlais wrote:

In real life...no i dont i have a number of very close friends from all over britain and the world......

On this site..yes i do...be it WUMs or whatever.....the facts (proof) is in every thread....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 06 Dec 2011, 2:05 pm

Beshocked, I agree, the both players are very tallented and have the world in their hands due to their abilities. I would not call them arrogant, because to be the best you have to have a certain amount of self belief/arrogance. I would say that they are immature and need to be made to realise that they are lucky to be as gifted as they are and that they should appreciate the oportunities they have been given. Hard work and a firm hand is what they need( only joking about the firm hand ) although you can get my drift. If Ashton wants to do a dive before he scores a try then good for him, carry on, what we do not want are cheap shots and dirty tactics. Also I could not give a monkey what they do outside rugby, as long as they do the business on the pitch.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 06 Dec 2011, 2:05 pm

Come on though chaps, you do both have quite the track record of being ramapantly anti English oin more than just a chummy banter daft joke kind of whay when the mood takes you.

Sure theres plenty of people who will always look at the imagined enemy and try and contcot anotehr reason to hate them at every opportunity, but that doesnt excuse some of the extreme views and ridiculous conspiracy theories not to mention double standards displayed in the thread.

Theres clealry some people developing an irrational dislike of Saints and some of their players, which is kind of sad. Tigers have had that in spades in the past, maybe thats why our fans are given the neighbours a bit more slack even when being on the receiving end.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 06 Dec 2011, 2:06 pm

Murphy is Leicester's captain - he is meant to be a role model. He should know better. I like him as a player and a person but if he goes swinging and almost takes out a ball boy he should be banned..

If you look back it's Wood that sends him into the ball boy. He doesn't swing anywhere near the ball boy, in fact none of the players do. Murphy is a role model and part of that is he looks after his own. I notice Hartley was in the middle of the scuffle as well. As a captain you are drawn into these things, having said that his wind milling did not help anything.

At the Midlands derby the tempers run high as it's a real pressure atmosphere. It's a sell out and the atmosphere is electric, you can feel it in the stands, on the pitch it must be incredible. There's a scrap in most weeks of the season the only difference in this one is how it was started. The independent citing commisioner has gone with it as being a hand bags situation. No one was hurt after all.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Tue 06 Dec 2011, 2:10 pm

It all ended in a bit of a melee, but only because Ashton acted in a bit of a cowards way by dragging someone by their hair. No surprise to see Lawes instantly involved, he really does fancy himself as some sort of hard man.

A truely pathetic act, which hopefuly will get suitably punished!

Last edited by JDandfries on Tue 06 Dec 2011, 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 06 Dec 2011, 2:10 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

In real life...no i dont i have a number of very close friends from all over britain and the world......

On this site..yes i do...be it WUMs or whatever.....the facts (proof) is in every thread....

O.k then Geordie, show me an example of me being anti English on these boards. You are making an assumption of me just because I am not the same nationality as you, I have proof in the quote that you wrote above, therefore I would say that you are a bigot. Also I bet you were all up in arms during the second Lions test against South Africa where they deployed the same tactics as the few mentioned players for Northampton.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 06 Dec 2011, 2:18 pm

beshocked wrote:
I think Saints need to rein it in but I think there is an overrexageration of how bad Saints are. Lawes and Ashton are like petulant little children. They need to be disciplined but I don't think the actions of a few players should mean the whole Saints team and management should be tarred with the same brush.

No i quite agree, I was very surprised to see Wood involved with this weekends antics.

My other point is that, taking into regard what you say about the relationship between Saints and towards your team Saracens. I watched the rather surprisingly one-sided game between Saints and Sarries and as you said in your post, there was little if any petulance.

Though when Saints are under pressure as they were in the first half when they put out their first team against the Ospreys kids in the LV= and really struggled, or against Scarlets where they conceded a try bonus point looking out of shape from the start, or against Tigers who had them on the rails for much of the game the Saints revert to niggly, spiteful nastiness on the pitch.

It worked for them against the young Ospreys team in Bridgend but it did not against the Scarlets or Tigers.

Main point being that it is poor by Saints, they don't need to behave so poorly when under the cosh, they have a great team, exciting players that can really play some fast, aggressive, exciting, rugby.

If I were Mallinder I would tell those concerned to forget the afters and get on with playing the game.

Last edited by maestegmafia on Tue 06 Dec 2011, 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typos)

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 06 Dec 2011, 2:23 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
Murphy is Leicester's captain - he is meant to be a role model. He should know better. I like him as a player and a person but if he goes swinging and almost takes out a ball boy he should be banned..

If you look back it's Wood that sends him into the ball boy. He doesn't swing anywhere near the ball boy, in fact none of the players do. Murphy is a role model and part of that is he looks after his own. I notice Hartley was in the middle of the scuffle as well. As a captain you are drawn into these things, having said that his wind milling did not help anything.

At the Midlands derby the tempers run high as it's a real pressure atmosphere. It's a sell out and the atmosphere is electric, you can feel it in the stands, on the pitch it must be incredible. There's a scrap in most weeks of the season the only difference in this one is how it was started. The independent citing commisioner has gone with it as being a hand bags situation. No one was hurt after all.

He doesn't swing anywhere near the ballboy? Are you serious? Look at 19-20 seconds of greybeard's link on page 2 of this thread. Looks after his own by punching the hell out of the opposition! Look boys and girls this is what you should do if a fight breaks out on a rugby pitch.

A real pressure atmosphere? Every match should be. Hand bags? Nope.

I can understand your bias Sam. It' fine.

Maestegmafia I have seen Saracens beat Saints plenty of times so I don't think it's necessarily that. We have beaten them in most high profile matches. The recent match was different because we were so unbelievably flat whereas Saints were pumped up. Also there was less for us to play for than usual.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 06 Dec 2011, 2:23 pm

Well obviously i didnt watch the lions cos it contained Welsh, Irish and Scots !
Im a bigot dont forget!!!

Rolling Eyes

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 06 Dec 2011, 2:24 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Well obviously i didnt watch the lions cos it contained Welsh, Irish and Scots !
Im a bigot dont forget!!!

Rolling Eyes
grow up

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 06 Dec 2011, 2:26 pm

The Telegraph wrote:The hearing will be at in the Offices of the Judge Advocate General in the Royal Courts of Justice in London and will be chaired by His Honour Judge Jeff Blackett, who will be assisted by Christopher Quinlan QC and Jeremy Summers. As new territory it is difficult to anticipate the length of any potential ban if Ashton is found guilty but two weeks would probably be the maximum.
A ban of any sort, however, would seriously inconvenience Northampton, who have a “must win” Heineken Cup match at Castres on Saturday if they are to retain any further interest in this year’s competition. The Disciplinary committee face a busy afternoon beginning at 3pm when they will deal with Northampton flanker Phil Dowson, who has been cited for a dangerous “tip tackle” on Saracens full-back Alex Goode when they met at Franklin’s Gardens in the Aviva Premiership on Nov 26.
Ashton has been allocated the 4pm slot while an hour later the committee is due to hear the case of a third Northampton player, flanker Tom Wood, who was sent off for his part in the melee which followed the Ashton-Alesana Tuilagi incident.
Tuilagi, himself, is last on and although both potentially face a short ban it would be no surprise to see the red card deemed sufficient in both cases, especially as the players involved subsequently missed over three quarters of the match itself.
Northampton will be hoping for a little leniency from the panel. In addition to Dowson and Wood facing possible bans they already have two injured back row players in Roger Wilson and Callum Clarke as they try to prepare for their trip to Castres. After defeats in their opening Heineken Cup games at Munster, and then home to Llanelli Scarlets, they will effectively be eliminated from this year’s competition if they lose in France.
The likelihood is that Rafter, vastly experienced at the sharp end of elite rugby, will pronounce the citing Grade 1, which means that although there might have been incidents worthy of a yellow card, he saw nothing in the match tape to merit a red card and therefore an official citing and disciplinary procedure.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 06 Dec 2011, 2:31 pm

Well as it's good ol' Jeff Blackett I expect no ban for Dowson,Wood or A.Tuilagi and biscuits all round!

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 06 Dec 2011, 2:41 pm

A real pressure atmosphere? Every match should be.

Then you've clearly never been to one. It's easy to describe these things but until you sit in a cauldron atmosphere like that where all the anticipation stews together then it's hard to imagine.

He doesn't swing anywhere near the ballboy? Are you serious? Look at 19-20 seconds of greybeard's link on page 2 of this thread. Looks after his own by punching the hell out of the opposition!

The way you describe it, it sounds like Geordan attacks the ball boy which is completely untrue. He throws multiple punches (nobody is denying that) but then do several others. It's a rugby pitch it happens. If he gets banned he gets banned if he doesn't then I'm not concerned. I'm more concerned by punching when they are cheap shots, in a melee where the opposition are swinging just as much at you (in this case Wood being the opposition) then it's equal rights.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 06 Dec 2011, 2:46 pm

Sam I have been to plenty actually.

No I am not saying he attacked the ball boy. He was throwing punches close to him and could have accidentally connected with him. Of course you wouldn't be concerned if he isn't banned. Equal rights - yes both of you should be punished.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Tue 06 Dec 2011, 2:46 pm

beshocked wrote:Well as it's good ol' Jeff Blackett I expect no ban for Dowson,Wood or A.Tuilagi and biscuits all round!

Love the biscuits reference beshocked. Laugh
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 06 Dec 2011, 2:50 pm

Sam I have been to plenty actually.

Midlands derbies?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 06 Dec 2011, 2:51 pm

High pressure matches. Big matches.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 06 Dec 2011, 2:53 pm

Bigger matches out there.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 06 Dec 2011, 2:56 pm

There does seem to be a lot of you're on saying that because you're Welsh/English and the player is English/Welsh on here.

It makes it hard to have any kind of debate as everyone always assumes the other is just being bias.

I also think alot posters defend player's action against another poster from a different country just to be 'patriotic'

Most English rugby fans I know think Ashton is talented but a complete jeb end. I'm not allowed to point this out to them though Very Happy

From what little of Saints matches I've seen they do seem to come off as a team of school bullies but again, this is my own opinion. I like Exeter though Chief

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 06 Dec 2011, 2:56 pm

Portnoy wrote:
beshocked wrote:Well as it's good ol' Jeff Blackett I expect no ban for Dowson,Wood or A.Tuilagi and biscuits all round!

Love the biscuits reference beshocked. Laugh

Neigh

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 06 Dec 2011, 2:57 pm

beshocked wrote:Sam I have been to plenty actually.

No I am not saying he attacked the ball boy. He was throwing punches close to him and could have accidentally connected with him. Of course you wouldn't be concerned if he isn't banned. Equal rights - yes both of you should be punished.

Just imagine if he started shoving old women in the crowd Whistle

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next