The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chris Ashton starts brawl at Welford Road

+42
Heaf
Knowsit17
Manu's Boxing Coach
munkian
JDandfries
Portnoy
maestegmafia
thebandwagonsociety
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Casartelli
nathan
robbo277
Cymroglan
B91212
Baggy42
maverickmak
greybeard
niwatts
ME-109
Glas a du
brennomac
Comfort
yappysnap
HammerofThunor
hawalsh
TJ1
Rory_Gallagher
Geordie
LordDowlais
Dubbelyew L Overate
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
R!skysports
Time For Trumpton
geoff998rugby
formerly known as Sam
caoimhincentre
Standulstermen
beshocked
LondonTiger
red_stag
mckay1402
Metal Tiger
46 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Chris Ashton starts brawl at Welford Road - Page 5 Empty Chris Ashton starts brawl at Welford Road

Post by Metal Tiger Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:52 am

First topic message reminder :

A seperate thread away from the main Tigers V Saints game post to discuss in more detail the incident provoked by Chris Aston.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0dcme2wCGBs#!

For those who haven't seen/heard the incident yet... Alessano Tuilagi makes a break down the wing (crumbie side) and hands off Chris Ashton. Chris Ashton grabs hold of Tuiagis hair as he goes bay and swings him to the ground, then taking a firm grip on his dreadlocks, drags him across the pitch into touch.

Tuilagi is less than happy. As he stands up he gives Ashton a dig in the ribs.

I think it was Matt Smith (?) runs in to try and split them up.

Courtney Lawes runs in and starts swinging.

Players from both team pile in to join or sperate (depending on your point of view I suppose).

Geordan Murphy jumps in and launches a couple back at Courtney.

Tom Wood runs across the park and delivers a flurry of punches into the melee.

The ball boy who is stood watching a little too close gets swallowed up the brawl and lucky not to be injured.

Officials finally restore order.

Barnes in a shocking & disgraceful decision red cards Tuilagi (the victim of Ashtons foul & dangerous play) and then red cards Tom Wood (fair enough decision I thought).

Ashton walks away unpunished and (alledgedly from some of the supporters in the Crumbie, although I didn't see this) grinning & winking at the crowd.

This should go before the citing panel this week and lengthy bans for Ashton, Lawes & Wood. Most likely Murphy too. But will Alessano also pick up a ban for reacting to Ashtons attack in the way he did? Unfair to be sure, but likely.

Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Chris Ashton starts brawl at Welford Road - Page 5 Empty Re: Chris Ashton starts brawl at Welford Road

Post by Comfort Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:02 pm

or throwing midget ball boys at old women in the crowd.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Chris Ashton starts brawl at Welford Road - Page 5 Empty Re: Chris Ashton starts brawl at Welford Road

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:03 pm

munkian wrote:There does seem to be a lot of you're on saying that because you're Welsh/English and the player is English/Welsh on here.

It makes it hard to have any kind of debate as everyone always assumes the other is just being bias.

I also think alot posters defend player's action against another poster from a different country just to be 'patriotic'

Most English rugby fans I know think Ashton is talented but a complete jeb end. I'm not allowed to point this out to them though Very Happy

From what little of Saints matches I've seen they do seem to come off as a team of school bullies but again, this is my own opinion. I like Exeter though Chief

What's not to like, Munkian? Wink

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:07 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
The Telegraph wrote:The hearing will be at in the Offices of the Judge Advocate General in the Royal Courts of Justice in London and will be chaired by His Honour Judge Jeff Blackett, who will be assisted by Christopher Quinlan QC and Jeremy Summers. As new territory it is difficult to anticipate the length of any potential ban if Ashton is found guilty but two weeks would probably be the maximum.
A ban of any sort, however, would seriously inconvenience Northampton, who have a “must win” Heineken Cup match at Castres on Saturday if they are to retain any further interest in this year’s competition. The Disciplinary committee face a busy afternoon beginning at 3pm when they will deal with Northampton flanker Phil Dowson, who has been cited for a dangerous “tip tackle” on Saracens full-back Alex Goode when they met at Franklin’s Gardens in the Aviva Premiership on Nov 26.
Ashton has been allocated the 4pm slot while an hour later the committee is due to hear the case of a third Northampton player, flanker Tom Wood, who was sent off for his part in the melee which followed the Ashton-Alesana Tuilagi incident.
Tuilagi, himself, is last on and although both potentially face a short ban it would be no surprise to see the red card deemed sufficient in both cases, especially as the players involved subsequently missed over three quarters of the match itself.
Northampton will be hoping for a little leniency from the panel. In addition to Dowson and Wood facing possible bans they already have two injured back row players in Roger Wilson and Callum Clarke as they try to prepare for their trip to Castres. After defeats in their opening Heineken Cup games at Munster, and then home to Llanelli Scarlets, they will effectively be eliminated from this year’s competition if they lose in France.
The likelihood is that Rafter, vastly experienced at the sharp end of elite rugby, will pronounce the citing Grade 1, which means that although there might have been incidents worthy of a yellow card, he saw nothing in the match tape to merit a red card and therefore an official citing and disciplinary procedure.
On a purely selfish note (as a Saints fan) I would be very happy to see Ashton (deservedly) banned for at least 2 weeks and Wood's red card deemed enough of a punishment. Although any team would miss a player of Ashtons ability (he's one of the top wingers in world rugby regardless of if you like him as a person or not) Northampton have some depth in that position at the moment but the backrow is ultra thin on reinforcements at the moment with Wilson and Clark out and Dowson about to be banned. At least then a backrow of Nutley, Wood and Lawes will at least challenge against Castres.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:12 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
beshocked wrote:Sam I have been to plenty actually.

No I am not saying he attacked the ball boy. He was throwing punches close to him and could have accidentally connected with him. Of course you wouldn't be concerned if he isn't banned. Equal rights - yes both of you should be punished.

Just imagine if he started shoving old women in the crowd Whistle

Was there video evidence of pushing the old woman? No, only alleged.

At least no dwarves were thrown in the duration of the match. No one jumped off a ferry. No tomfoolery. Of course no punching....wait..a..minute.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:14 pm

"those aren't pillLLLOOOOOWS!!!!"
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:19 pm

High pressure matches. Big matches..

Big matches don't necassarily come with a high pressure atmosphere. I've been to a packed Twickers twice and neither time it had the incendary feeling of the Saints vs Tigers game I went to despite the Twickers games meaning considerabley more in terms of silverware. There's something silly like a hundred and thirty years of rivalry played in front of a braying fans in a stadium packed to the rafters. The game was always going to spill over and I'm sure it will at Franklins Gardens next year as well.

Was there video evidence of pushing the old woman? No, only alleged.

Accusations from a national newspaper have been made and so all are guilty and are expecting bans....

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:21 pm

Glas a du wrote:"those aren't pillLLLOOOOOWS!!!!"

Comedy gold.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:22 pm

Sam you watched the video evidence. You can make your own mind up.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:24 pm

thebandwagonsociety wrote:
Glas a du wrote:"those aren't pillLLLOOOOOWS!!!!"

Comedy gold.

I think so.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Metal Tiger Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:31 pm

Sam makes a good point about the athmosphere...

Welford Road was a sell out and Franklin Gardens will also be for the return fixture. Not an empty seat in the house. When you have got 24,000 fans screaming you on it must be absolutely electric to be stood on that pitch and be battered by the wall of noise from the stands.

Twickemham at 80,000 capacity sold out for the final will be what approx. 25 - 30,000 fans of the teams in the final, the other 50,000 people there will be well wishers, club allocations, interested 3rd parties, neutrals & corperate entertainment. So that's less than 50% of the fans cheering on and 50% less athmosphere.

Sell outs alone can raise tensions & expectations, 100% fans screaming on their team, so much so that what may be a minor incident that fizzles out elsewhere, can get really interesting... really quickly in grounds like Tigers, Saints, Glaws, Munster etc.

Sorry Beshocked, I've never accused you of not being passionate about Sarries but I don't think you will ever understand the athmosphere from playing in a 1/2 empty Watford FC.

Come to Welford next time Sarries are up our way and I'll buy you a pint and we can discuss it then OK

Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:32 pm

Yes because of course I only go to matches in Watford. steam

thumbsup

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:37 pm

munkian wrote:There does seem to be a lot of you're on saying that because you're Welsh/English and the player is English/Welsh on here.

It makes it hard to have any kind of debate as everyone always assumes the other is just being bias.

I also think alot posters defend player's action against another poster from a different country just to be 'patriotic'

Most English rugby fans I know think Ashton is talented but a complete jeb end. I'm not allowed to point this out to them though Very Happy

From what little of Saints matches I've seen they do seem to come off as a team of school bullies but again, this is my own opinion. I like Exeter though Chief

Mate...every thread just about descends in to (as my good friend Lord Dowlais would say) Bigotted trash....and 9/10 its between England / Wales WUMs.

If i was Scottish or Irish i would be so bored with it.....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Time For Trumpton Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:42 pm

beshocked wrote:High pressure matches. Big matches.

Bully for you.

Time For Trumpton

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:48 pm

Metal Tiger wrote:Sorry Beshocked, I've never accused you of not being passionate about Sarries but I don't think you will ever understand the athmosphere from playing in a 1/2 empty Watford FC.

Half empty? Half Empty!! We'd give our right legs for half empty Smile

Twickenham has had no real passion, or intensity since they removed the old stands. Once upon a time if you were in the fron row in East or West stand you could pinch the ball of the hooker when he prepared to throw.

Proximity of the crowd does play a part. If the incident had taken place on the other side of the field there is a strong chance it would have kicked off less than it did.

Really intense atmospheres come when the teams are evenly balance, the rivalry dates back at least as long as the oldest spectator, the ground is full, the match is close and it has some importance. If there is a political or religious rivalry then the whole thing is exacerbated.

Most intense atmosphere I have experienced is Barcelona v Real Madrid. I suspect the most intense atmosphere in british club sport is the Old Firm derby in Glasgow.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:50 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
Metal Tiger wrote:Sorry Beshocked, I've never accused you of not being passionate about Sarries but I don't think you will ever understand the athmosphere from playing in a 1/2 empty Watford FC.

Half empty? Half Empty!! We'd give our right legs for half empty Smile

Twickenham has had no real passion, or intensity since they removed the old stands. Once upon a time if you were in the fron row in East or West stand you could pinch the ball of the hooker when he prepared to throw.

Proximity of the crowd does play a part. If the incident had taken place on the other side of the field there is a strong chance it would have kicked off less than it did.

Really intense atmospheres come when the teams are evenly balance, the rivalry dates back at least as long as the oldest spectator, the ground is full, the match is close and it has some importance. If there is a political or religious rivalry then the whole thing is exacerbated.

Most intense atmosphere I have experienced is Barcelona v Real Madrid. I suspect the most intense atmosphere in british club sport is the Old Firm derby in Glasgow.

Well you obviously havent been to a Whitley Bay v North Shields game... Wink Very Happy

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:51 pm

Well LondonTiger I thought the atmosphere was excellent when Saracens beat Saints at FG in the playoff semis 21-19 in the 2009/10 season. It was full. Absolutely buzzing.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:53 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:

Mate...every thread just about descends in to (as my good friend Lord Dowlais would say) Bigotted trash....and 9/10 its between England / Wales WUMs.

If i was Scottish or Irish i would be so bored with it.....

If I were Scottish I would wonder what I was doing on a rugby forum Smile Very Happy laughing

Last edited by munkian on Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fail)
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:53 pm

Besh,

Ignoring religion and politics, it ticked all but one of my criteria - so you would expect it to be pretty damn good.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:57 pm

If I were Scottish I would wonder what I was doing on a rugby forum .

Laugh

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:58 pm

munkian wrote:If I were Scottish I would wonder what I was doing on a rugby forum Smile Very Happy Chris Ashton starts brawl at Welford Road - Page 5 3497602689
Steady ... Chris Ashton starts brawl at Welford Road - Page 5 1078893766

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:03 pm

Whistle
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:08 pm

Chris Ashton starts brawl at Welford Road - Page 5 496889

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:09 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Chris Ashton starts brawl at Welford Road - Page 5 496889

Alright Tuilagi, chill out kiss
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Metal Tiger Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:19 pm

beshocked wrote:Yes because of course I only go to matches in Watford. steam

thumbsup

Sorry mate, I wasn't insinuating you only ever went to Watford FC. I know you are a well travelled and refined gentleman supporter Hug

I guess the point I was trying to make is, as you know, a full house can make a difference. If you've been to FG then you will know what I mean.

No offence London Irish fans but I've been to the Madstad to watch Tigers, It's a very nice stadium and the entertainment they try to get going adds to the nice day out but the place still feels souless & empty. I've never been so bored (and cold for some reason?) in a ground like that.
Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:21 pm

Metal Tiger soulless and empty? You evidently haven't been to Adams Park or Vicarage Road!

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:29 pm

I've never been so bored (and cold for some reason?) in a ground like that..

If you think that's bad never go to watch Hull City play. I went in February and it was the coldest (-3), most miserable afternoon I've ever had. The only laugh I had was the bitter one when they announced the man of the match and the sponsor was a fridge freezer company. The terrible beer was salt in the wound as well. Teach me to go and watch wendy ball though.

Well LondonTiger I thought the atmosphere was excellent when Saracens beat Saints at FG in the playoff semis 21-19 in the 2009/10 season. It was full. Absolutely buzzing..

Take that add age old rivalry with a dash of bad blood from the last game. thumbsup

That was a cracking play off game. Remember being at the Tigers vs Bath one in the other semi and thinking we were watching the wrong one as both teams were being cagey and there was little chance of a try.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:32 pm

munkian wrote:
AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Chris Ashton starts brawl at Welford Road - Page 5 496889

Alright Tuilagi, chill out Chris Ashton starts brawl at Welford Road - Page 5 291114
Laugh

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm

beshocked wrote:Well as it's good ol' Jeff Blackett I expect no ban for Dowson,Wood or A.Tuilagi and biscuits all round!

He has quit some reputation, apparently it will all be over and done with by five, so i imagine port and cheeses to be served as well.

I wouldn't actually expect any less...!

I also don't expect anyone to get banned, harshest possible result will be a week ban. Which I think considering the circumstance is a joke

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:35 pm

Planet Rugby wrote:Northampton risk being without three players for weekend's Heineken Cup clash with Castres after Chris Ashton, Tom Wood and Phil Dowson were summoned before a Rugby Football Union disciplinary hearing.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:39 pm

Dowson's appearance is for an incident in an earlier game tho

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Manu's Boxing Coach Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:01 pm

Ashton is a nasty piece of work and I can see why people dont like him but he is not worth the vilification that he is getting on some of these boards. What he did was wrong but i have read someone calling it "a vicious act" it isnt that, Ashton does have a tendency to try and pull the tackled player into touch and I think he already had hold of Tuilagi's hair which I first thought was held in desperation and in the heat of the moment. He should of stopped but he didnt as he wanted to gain an advantage for his team, it was wrong and he should be cited for it. The supposed wink to the crumbie stand, I have absolutely no problem with He is probably getting some stick from the crowd and a wink is not the worst thing he could do to wind up the opposition crowd.

Many great players are not the nicest people on the rugby pitch and Ashton is one of them who has that determination to get every that every inch by winding up the opposition or pulling someone's hair to get someone into touch, its annoying and wrong but its what makes him the player he is and such a good one at that. Think of Neil Back, Martin Johnson, Lawrence Dalaglio and Paul O'connel not exactly angels on the rugby pitch but what great players they are and were.

Manu's Boxing Coach

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:50 pm

Ashton gets 4 weeks.

No news on what (if any) the others got.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:53 pm

Manu's Boxing Coach wrote:Ashton is a nasty piece of work and I can see why people dont like him but he is not worth the vilification that he is getting on some of these boards. What he did was wrong but i have read someone calling it "a vicious act" it isnt that, Ashton does have a tendency to try and pull the tackled player into touch and I think he already had hold of Tuilagi's hair which I first thought was held in desperation and in the heat of the moment. He should of stopped but he didnt as he wanted to gain an advantage for his team, it was wrong and he should be cited for it. The supposed wink to the crumbie stand, I have absolutely no problem with He is probably getting some stick from the crowd and a wink is not the worst thing he could do to wind up the opposition crowd.

Many great players are not the nicest people on the rugby pitch and Ashton is one of them who has that determination to get every that every inch by winding up the opposition or pulling someone's hair to get someone into touch, its annoying and wrong but its what makes him the player he is and such a good one at that. Think of Neil Back, Martin Johnson, Lawrence Dalaglio and Paul O'connel not exactly angels on the rugby pitch but what great players they are and were.

please don't try and justify pulling someone into touch by their hair....

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:13 pm

It's sad that you are satisfied with such a pathetic sanction given the terrible state if rugby disciplinary procedure. That ban takes him out of the HC double header and the Christmas marches but allows him back in time to warn up for the 6N. Travesty of justice. raspberry
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Manu's Boxing Coach Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:14 pm

nathan wrote:
Manu's Boxing Coach wrote:Ashton is a nasty piece of work and I can see why people dont like him but he is not worth the vilification that he is getting on some of these boards. What he did was wrong but i have read someone calling it "a vicious act" it isnt that, Ashton does have a tendency to try and pull the tackled player into touch and I think he already had hold of Tuilagi's hair which I first thought was held in desperation and in the heat of the moment. He should of stopped but he didnt as he wanted to gain an advantage for his team, it was wrong and he should be cited for it. The supposed wink to the crumbie stand, I have absolutely no problem with He is probably getting some stick from the crowd and a wink is not the worst thing he could do to wind up the opposition crowd.

How did I try to justify his actions I clearly said what he did was wrong. But it doesn't make him deserve the hatred he is getting on these boards. It is probably heightened as it is affecting people's teams directly but I am sure with hindsight people will not be so hateful towards Ashton and just realise that some rugby players push the rules to the limit to achieve success which makes them good players and they do need to be pegged back with citings and so on but it does not mean they deserve to be vilified.

Manu's Boxing Coach

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:19 pm

Manu's Boxing Coach wrote:
nathan wrote:

How did I try to justify his actions I clearly said what he did was wrong. But it doesn't make him deserve the hatred he is getting on these boards. It is probably heightened as it is affecting people's teams directly but I am sure with hindsight people will not be so hateful towards Ashton and just realise that some rugby players push the rules to the limit to achieve success which makes them good players and they do need to be pegged back with citings and so on but it does not mean they deserve to be vilified.

that's the thing though, in this instance he does deserve to be vilified. I'm not talking in general as this thread is about this incident.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:25 pm

Confirmed on the Beeb;

Ashton out for 4 weeks, will miss 2 HC games and 2 Aviva games.

Both Woods and Tuilagi's red's were deemed enough. Not a mention that Tuilagi didn't actually throw a punch.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:27 pm

Couldn't expect more, even though in reality there really needed to be a much sterner penalty to deter others.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Manu's Boxing Coach Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:40 pm

nathan wrote:
nathan wrote:

that's the thing though, in this instance he does deserve to be vilified. I'm not talking in general as this thread is about this incident.

Why does it? Why cant we just accept what he did was wrong and he has been rightly punished for it? Come on he has pulled someone's hair barely going to put Tuilagi's career in jeopardy, he has made himself look like more of an idiot than actually putting someone's health in danger.

Manu's Boxing Coach

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:45 pm

Wow... Four weeks is a pretty serious punishment. I am very surprised.

Can he appeal?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:45 pm

If I was him I would not appeal

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:51 pm

Thats a pretty big statement from the RFU. Fair play

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:52 pm

I am happy with the decision. Tuilagi and Wood also go unpunished. Good call.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:56 pm

nathan wrote:
nathan wrote:

Why does it? Why cant we just accept what he did was wrong and he has been rightly punished for it? Come on he has pulled someone's hair barely going to put Tuilagi's career in jeopardy, he has made himself look like more of an idiot than actually putting someone's health in danger.

When i say he should be vilified, i'm not talking about forever, just talking about this incident. Of course when he's done the punishment i agree we should move on.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:01 pm

Northampton wing Chris Ashton has been handed a four-week ban for "an act contrary to good sportsmanship", the Rugby Football Union has confirmed.

The incident took place in Saturday's Premiership defeat at Leicester as Ashton appeared to drag Alesana Tuilagi off the pitch by his hair.

A touchline brawl ensued and Tuilagi and Northampton flanker Tom Wood were both sent off by referee Wayne Barnes.

Ashton will be free to play again on 4 January.

He will miss Northampton's back-to-back Heineken Cup fixtures against Castres and two Premiership games over the festive period against Bath and Newcastle.

Wood and Tuilagi's red cards for striking were deemed sufficient, meaning they were handed no further punishment.

Northampton forward Phil Dowson will also be sidelined for the two weekends of European action. He was suspended for a dangerous tackle on Saracens full-back Alex Goode in the Premiership on 26 November

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:02 pm

Standulstermen wrote:Thats a pretty big statement from the RFU. Fair play
I agree the RFU are certainly making a stand, they have a terrible reputation for doing little in the way of punishment in regards to England Internationals over the years.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:19 pm

Stupid by Ashton, deserves a month on the sidelines for his trouble. If I was in Tuilagi's shoes I doubt I would have been able to sit still either.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:23 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Standulstermen wrote:Thats a pretty big statement from the RFU. Fair play
I agree the RFU are certainly making a stand, they have a terrible reputation for doing little in the way of punishment in regards to England Internationals over the years.

Really? Thats complete drivel isnt it.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:27 pm

Good calls on the two with the red cards, it's a man's game and punch ups can sometimes be expected, although not cheap shots,just man to man punch ups, and missing the game itself for it is punishment enough, on the other hand though, I did not think Ashton would get a four weeker. But as I have said earlier there is no place in the game for cheap shots and he seems to be up to that kind of mischief a lot lately, so perhaps this is because he is at it all to often and he only has himself to blame. At least Northampton did not loose any more back rowers, so that's something, and now Ashton can think about how he has let himself and his team mates down by not being able to play in the next four games.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:21 pm

Citing commissioner Mike Rafter issued level one citings - the equivalent of a yellow card - to Leicester duo Geordan Murphy and Horacio Agulla and Northampton lock Courtney Lawes for their roles in the mass brawl
The players were not required to appear before the disciplinary panel and can continue playing.

from

http://www.talktalk.co.uk/news/article/ashton-handed-four-week-ban/29772/

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next