The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favourite Run-ins/Outside Interferences

+19
poc.sco
Shot 21 LCFC
UpsideDownFace
ncfc_Tooze
Kay Fabe
Mr H
MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch
Brady12
dyrewolfe
theundisputedY2D2
JamesLincs
Clunge4life
TwisT
VDT
Stan Marsh
imprettyfly
longrangeeffort
I Blame Coco
Don Caboose
23 posters

Go down

Favourite Run-ins/Outside Interferences Empty Favourite Run-ins/Outside Interferences

Post by Don Caboose Wed 7 Dec 2011 - 11:42

Run-ins and outside interferences are a staple of Professional Wrestling. Interfering in a match is one of the simplest ways of building a feud or garnering heat, but what are your favourite run-ins? Here are a couple of mine....

January 4th RAW is WAR - Austin runs in on the Mankind Vs Rock WWF Title match.

This is the infamous Monday Night War moment where WCW announced on Nitro that Foley would be winning the title and people switched over to watch that instead of the awful Fingerpoke of Doom nWo reunion.

No Way Out 2010 - HBK interferes in the Elmination Chamber Match for the WHC.

After repeatedly being refused a Wrestlemania rematch with The Undertaker for several months, HBK returns from a brief hiatus to cost Undertaker the WHC. HBK was so hell bent on getting his rematch, he even handed his arch nemesis Chris Jericho the WHC on a plate.

Don Caboose

Back to top Go down

Favourite Run-ins/Outside Interferences Empty Re: Favourite Run-ins/Outside Interferences

Post by I Blame Coco Wed 7 Dec 2011 - 11:50

Undertaker during the Rock / HHH Iron Man match at Judgement Day.

I Blame Coco

Back to top Go down

Favourite Run-ins/Outside Interferences Empty Re: Favourite Run-ins/Outside Interferences

Post by longrangeeffort Wed 7 Dec 2011 - 11:59

Not sure its technically interference or a run-in...but Austin during the HHH/Rock title match at Backlash. It STILL makes the hairs on the back of neck stand-up! Match is back and forth, ref goes down (i think) and then glass shatters...

People werent sure if Austin would turn up or not and when he did the pop was immense! And when Rocky won the belt ending the McMahon-Helmsley regime the pop was pretty big too..

longrangeeffort

Back to top Go down

Post by imprettyfly Wed 7 Dec 2011 - 12:08

Although not technically a match, but when Austin ran in and stunners EVERY alliance member out of the ring on a monday night Raw...

That was emmense, esspecially when it looked like the "good" wwe were getting beaten up by the "bad" invaders

(bearing in mind i would have been 14 at this point, and still believed in father crimbo... cut me some slack!)

imprettyfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Stan Marsh Wed 7 Dec 2011 - 12:12

ImPrettyFly - you mean when McMahon was begging for the return of the REAL Stone Cold just before the Invasion ppv? Spine-tingling promo and then pop during the match.

Booker turning up at King of the Ring was massive too but the one a few weeks later that should have set the ball rolling was Mike Awesome winning the 24/7 Hardcore title by powerbombing Rhyno on a ladder backstage (during a match with someone else - Holly?). What an introduction that was.

Stan Marsh

Back to top Go down

Post by VDT Wed 7 Dec 2011 - 12:13

Warrior - Wrestlemania 8! Oh my god, its the warriors music!
VDT
VDT
Admin
Admin

https://soundcloud.com/chris-lappin-1

Back to top Go down

Post by imprettyfly Wed 7 Dec 2011 - 12:37

Stan Marsh wrote:ImPrettyFly - you mean when McMahon was begging for the return of the REAL Stone Cold just before the Invasion ppv? Spine-tingling promo and then pop during the match.

Thats it. I think one of the promos was him in a bar before hand debating whether to go back..

BOOM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo5xjgEuA6g

"AUSTIN IS BACK, AUSTIN IS BACK, STUNNER, STUNNER, RIGHT HANDS, STUNNER, TEXAS RATTLE SNAKE, ON FIRE, STUNNER, RIGHT HANDS STONE COLD, STOND COLD IS BACK"

imprettyfly

Back to top Go down

Post by TwisT Wed 7 Dec 2011 - 12:55

I think this was the RAW before Wrestlemania XII. Bret Hart and Diesel in a cage match. The Undertaker pops up through the ring canvas and pulls Diesel down into the abyss.

TwisT

Back to top Go down

Post by Clunge4life Wed 7 Dec 2011 - 13:04

Kane's debut at Bad Blood 97 was hard to beat

Clunge4life

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Wed 7 Dec 2011 - 13:35

austin returns to clean out mcmahons n dx at backlash 2000 (rock v hhh)
kane returns to destroy mcmahons n dx on raw main event 2000
undertaker returns jd2000 causing havoc in the main event between rock hhh

funny how the 3 that have always stuck out came in 2000 involving the rock and hhh. what a year and what a feud that was! was pretty much the rock vs mcmahons and dx with kane involved and then taker taking centre stage once he returned and austin playing his part before feuding with hhh

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Wed 7 Dec 2011 - 13:38

Vince McMahon's run-in at the end of the 2005 Royal Rumble.

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Wed 7 Dec 2011 - 13:45

Probably the earliest and most impressive one I can remember, I think it was a WCW match, mid-late 90s. Can't remember who was actually, fighting, but it ended with a bunch of guys in the ring, all slugging it out. Suddenly the lights go out. When they come back on, Sting is standing in the middle of the ring with a couple of baseball bats and everyone else is on the canvas, either out cold or writhing in pain.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Wed 7 Dec 2011 - 14:12

VDT wrote:Warrior - Wrestlemania 8! Oh my god, its the warriors music!

The absolute daddy of all run ins will never be beaten

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Wed 7 Dec 2011 - 14:14

Triple H returning to screw Austin out of beating Angle for the World Title.

JR's commentary is out of this world

MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Wed 7 Dec 2011 - 14:27

One of my personal favourites in recent years was the Nexus invasion on Raw.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 7 Dec 2011 - 15:16

Brady12 wrote:

And in second place...Miss Elizabeth throwing Sherri out the ring when she turned on Macho King

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by ncfc_Tooze Wed 7 Dec 2011 - 15:26

one that sticks out in my mind is Mankind running in on a segment where paul bearer is asking for undertakers forgivness and using a fireball to blinden undertaker from a raw in april 97.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgbhLAGTAyY

another one from same year and month is when Undertaker and Austin ran in on the cage match between sid and hart on raw, to set up the matches for wrestlemania
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2gM2670K_s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A02sILrNXIA&feature=related

ncfc_Tooze
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by UpsideDownFace Wed 7 Dec 2011 - 18:46

Austin coming out to smash the rock with a chair to give mankind the title is my fave. The pop is incredible when the glass shatters.

UpsideDownFace

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Wed 7 Dec 2011 - 19:22

the-gaffer wrote:
Brady12 wrote:

And in second place...Miss Elizabeth throwing Sherri out the ring when she turned on Macho King

Not one that immediately came to mine but I'll have to agree what a moment!

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Thu 8 Dec 2011 - 10:13

The Undertaker returning as the American Bad Ass during the Iron Man match between The Rock and Triple H.

Also I cant overly remember the details, but Austin had been out of action for a while, Triple H was either in a Stretcher match or an Ambulance match or something like that. You hadnt seen Austin for a while. Triple H opens up the ambulance and WHACK. I marked out. Can anyone remember more details about that?

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Thu 8 Dec 2011 - 13:31

Shot 21 LCFC wrote:Also I cant overly remember the details, but Austin had been out of action for a while, Triple H was either in a Stretcher match or an Ambulance match or something like that. You hadnt seen Austin for a while. Triple H opens up the ambulance and WHACK. I marked out. Can anyone remember more details about that?

Think that one was back in 1999 wasn't it? Was it not part of the set up for the Stone Cold - Triple H match at No Mercy?

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Thu 8 Dec 2011 - 14:06

Yeah it was something like that. I just remember we hadnt seen him for a while (maybe Triple H put him out kayfabe) and he was my favourite at that time, so seeing him jump out the ambulance was brilliant for me back then.

I miss the Attitude Era.

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by ncfc_Tooze Thu 8 Dec 2011 - 14:06

would that be after he was run over?

ncfc_Tooze
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Thu 8 Dec 2011 - 14:10

That was my first thought, but Im sure it was before that...

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by UpsideDownFace Thu 8 Dec 2011 - 14:24

Not a favourite but I remember screaming at the tele when Batista came in and did his best Batista Bomb on HBK at Survivor Series 2003. Team Austin vs Team Bischoff with Austin's job on the line. Great match, one of my favourites to this day.

UpsideDownFace

Back to top Go down

Post by poc.sco Thu 8 Dec 2011 - 14:24

The return of the old stone cold was genius, and promo's made it taht way just as much as the in ring action. Vinnie Mac asking to be stunned hahaha.

another was the debut of Paul Wight, cage match Vinnie Mac and SCSA and he came up through the canvas and knocked SCSA from pillar to post ending wiht him throwing him against the cage wall breaking it and him landing outside winning the match anyways lol.

poc.sco

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Thu 8 Dec 2011 - 15:00

Survivor Series 2001 - Kurt Angle returning to help the wwf and screw Austin

Raw 2010 - The debut of Nexus

I know he diddnt return but at the 2004 rumble when Undertakers music went off and Kane got distracted

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Caboose Thu 8 Dec 2011 - 15:11

UpsideDownFace wrote:Not a favourite but I remember screaming at the tele when Batista came in and did his best Batista Bomb on HBK at Survivor Series 2003. Team Austin vs Team Bischoff with Austin's job on the line. Great match, one of my favourites to this day.

I can't believe I forgot this one. Also one of my favourite matches. Just when you think Michaels is going to pull it out the bag and keep Austin in his job, BLAM! Batista shows up out of nowhere and Austin is gone. The Storytelling in the match is masterful.

Don Caboose

Back to top Go down

Post by UpsideDownFace Thu 8 Dec 2011 - 15:39

Michaels was incredible in that match. So was JR's commentary obviously

UpsideDownFace

Back to top Go down

Post by UpsideDownFace Thu 8 Dec 2011 - 15:42

Another favourite for different reasons. Henry spending about 3 days ripping the door of a cage to get to Batista.

Another one is Lesnar F5ing Goldberg in the 2004 Rumble

UpsideDownFace

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Thu 8 Dec 2011 - 16:04

Shot 21 LCFC wrote:That was my first thought, but Im sure it was before that...

Was it possibly on Smackdown? Maybe before the 6-man at Unforgiven 1999. I think HHH was facing the Big Show, and I vaguely remember sand being involved with Big Show out cold and someone kicking him in the ass which seemed to wobble for ages after!

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Thu 8 Dec 2011 - 16:15

NickisBHAFC wrote:Survivor Series 2001 - Kurt Angle returning to help the wwf and screw Austin

Great choice. Did anyone else find it strange that the next night on Raw they turned Angle heel and Austin face without any explanation?

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Thu 8 Dec 2011 - 17:55

Yes me. Very strange. I was almost angry at the fans for cheering for the traitor Austin and tunring on Angle who had helped WWE out. It still doesnt make sense to this day.

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by imprettyfly Thu 8 Dec 2011 - 18:18

all of the royal rumble entrants in this years, believe it or not, rumble.

they all had to run to the ring...

Sorry

imprettyfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Buzzman Thu 8 Dec 2011 - 18:37

dyrewolfe wrote:Probably the earliest and most impressive one I can remember, I think it was a WCW match, mid-late 90s. Can't remember who was actually, fighting, but it ended with a bunch of guys in the ring, all slugging it out. Suddenly the lights go out. When they come back on, Sting is standing in the middle of the ring with a couple of baseball bats and everyone else is on the canvas, either out cold or writhing in pain.

not holding my breath but anybody able to find a video of this on youtube?

Buzzman

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Fri 9 Dec 2011 - 9:12

Shot 21 LCFC wrote:Yes me. Very strange. I was almost angry at the fans for cheering for the traitor Austin and tunring on Angle who had helped WWE out. It still doesnt make sense to this day.

That's exactly how I felt, even though I still loved Austin I thought it was weak booking.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Caboose Fri 9 Dec 2011 - 10:48

nasisillmatic wrote:
Shot 21 LCFC wrote:Yes me. Very strange. I was almost angry at the fans for cheering for the traitor Austin and tunring on Angle who had helped WWE out. It still doesnt make sense to this day.

That's exactly how I felt, even though I still loved Austin I thought it was weak booking.

I wouldn't put it down to the booking so much as it was the natural order of things.

With WCW gone, there was no reason to cheer Vince anymore. Angle was a natural Heel and once he openly cam across as being in Vince's pocket, he had to switch back to be a Heel. Add the fact that Austin was still getting audible pops at times, especially for the Stunner or saying "What?" and none of the fans had really taken to him as a Heel. It made sense (commercially) that a minor reboot would occur the night after Surivor Series.

On a sidenote, I love the silent interaction Austin and Flair have that RAW over the WWF Title.

Don Caboose

Back to top Go down

Post by ncfc_Tooze Fri 9 Dec 2011 - 10:59

Buzzman wrote:
dyrewolfe wrote:Probably the earliest and most impressive one I can remember, I think it was a WCW match, mid-late 90s. Can't remember who was actually, fighting, but it ended with a bunch of guys in the ring, all slugging it out. Suddenly the lights go out. When they come back on, Sting is standing in the middle of the ring with a couple of baseball bats and everyone else is on the canvas, either out cold or writhing in pain.

not holding my breath but anybody able to find a video of this on youtube?

Id Imagine this would be before the starcade where, sing beat hogan for the title, 97? if that is any help, proberly someone against a member of the NWO

ncfc_Tooze
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Fri 9 Dec 2011 - 11:45

quote]I wouldn't put it down to the booking so much as it was the natural order of things.

With WCW gone, there was no reason to cheer Vince anymore. Angle was a natural Heel and once he openly cam across as being in Vince's pocket, he had to switch back to be a Heel. Add the fact that Austin was still getting audible pops at times, especially for the Stunner or saying "What?" and none of the fans had really taken to him as a Heel. It made sense (commercially) that a minor reboot would occur the night after Surivor Series.

On a sidenote, I love the silent interaction Austin and Flair have that RAW over the WWF Title.[/quote]

I get that it made sense to switch their roles, I was just always baffled that it was done so pi$$ poorly.

It would have made more sense if Austin returned as a face doing something meaningful to get a big pop. I think the way it was done made his run from the night after Survivor Series to the night he took his "ball" home very forgetful.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Caboose Fri 9 Dec 2011 - 12:02

Yeah it was certainly weak and you are right that the WWF should have built to Austin's turn back to the lightside.

They could have booked a storyline where Austin is a complete outcast in the WWF. To the point where even lower carders are mocking him, knowing the rest of the locker room will back them up. Vince also makes it clear that as soon as Austin drops the WWF Title, he is as good as fired. The whole time you could have Flair trying to convince McMahon to keep Austin. Where it would end up I don't know, but Austin would have a legit reason to be reborn as his old DTA self.

Don Caboose

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Fri 9 Dec 2011 - 12:19

Don Caboose wrote:Yeah it was certainly weak and you are right that the WWF should have built to Austin's turn back to the lightside.

They could have booked a storyline where Austin is a complete outcast in the WWF. To the point where even lower carders are mocking him, knowing the rest of the locker room will back them up. Vince also makes it clear that as soon as Austin drops the WWF Title, he is as good as fired. The whole time you could have Flair trying to convince McMahon to keep Austin. Where it would end up I don't know, but Austin would have a legit reason to be reborn as his old DTA self.

It's as simple as that really. All I wanted was a legit reason to back Austin as a face.

Going off topic again...Should The Rock shoulder some of the blame for Austin's heel turn not working out?

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Fri 9 Dec 2011 - 12:25

I'm not sure how The Rock could be blamed. He took his beating @ Wrestlemania, and then the next night on RAW. What more could he have done? The fans weren't ready for an Austin turn, and definitely not in Houston Texas.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Fri 9 Dec 2011 - 12:35

liverbnz wrote:I'm not sure how The Rock could be blamed. He took his beating @ Wrestlemania, and then the next night on RAW. What more could he have done? The fans weren't ready for an Austin turn, and definitely not in Houston Texas.

People always lay the blame on the heel turn not working because there was not enough good enough faces for Austin to fued with (his popularity as well). If The Rock would have stuck around after Mania could it have enhanced Austin's heel gimmick?

I thought Kurt Angle done an excellent job in is fued with Austin and that was the only real time the heel character worked.

I no the injuries to Triple H & Benoit didn't help matters but I always think The Rock & Austin fued could have continued after WM17 had he been around.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Fri 9 Dec 2011 - 13:35

That's really down to management though isn't it? I'm sure they were aware of The Rock leaving after WM 17 so it was up to them to make sure there was a replacement for both him and Austin as the company's top babyfaces. Angle was one option, but they never seemed to be fully behind him and therefore was never over enough to lead the company.

There is really a whole host of reasons why the Austin turn never worked, and it was surprising that many weren't picked up before the trigger was pulled. But for me, one of those reasons, wasn't The Rock. He can't really be blamed for taking a few months out to further his more lucrative and safer career. With WCW just being purchased, it probably would have been best to keep Austin face for the meantime.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Fri 9 Dec 2011 - 13:45

liverbnz wrote:That's really down to management though isn't it? I'm sure they were aware of The Rock leaving after WM 17 so it was up to them to make sure there was a replacement for both him and Austin as the company's top babyfaces. Angle was one option, but they never seemed to be fully behind him and therefore was never over enough to lead the company.

There is really a whole host of reasons why the Austin turn never worked, and it was surprising that many weren't picked up before the trigger was pulled. But for me, one of those reasons, wasn't The Rock. He can't really be blamed for taking a few months out to further his more lucrative and safer career. With WCW just being purchased, it probably would have been best to keep Austin face for the meantime.

Ok, maybe I am being harsh on The Rock. Like you said management should have been better prepared.

I agree with the point that Austin should have stayed face for the time being. His big turn could have been the one at Invasion, it would have made better sense with the history between him & Vince.

The lead up to Invasion would have played out similar to how it did but with Vince begging Austin to be on his side for the first time, Austin refusing for a while until the Raw of The Undertaker's speach. He cleans house like he did then at Invasion BOOM! Austin turns heel for the 1st time but this time it falls into place as he had a great reason.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down