The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favourite/Least Favourite Away Grounds?

+7
Good Golly I'm Olly
RinoGattuso
Duty281
Lumbering_Jack
westisbest
NickisBHAFC
hbk48942
11 posters

Go down

Favourite/Least Favourite Away Grounds? Empty Favourite/Least Favourite Away Grounds?

Post by hbk48942 Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:03 am

(you can include Wembley)

just reading on the premier league match thread , they were discussing football grounds and which ones do they like so i thought i would start this , which football grounds apart from your own do you always enjoy going to and which do you hate going to for any reason?

my favourites are

i really liked Wembley when i went in 2011 for the Semi Final , such a great ground.

my least favourites

it has to be Wigan, the home fans usually dont make a sound plus we have only won 1 in the three times i have been there.

hbk48942

Back to top Go down

Favourite/Least Favourite Away Grounds? Empty Re: Favourite/Least Favourite Away Grounds?

Post by NickisBHAFC Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:37 am

Favorite - Peterbrough and Brentford. Simply because they have terrace. Where football should be watched, and the atmosphere is usually amazing. When you score as well, it's just mental!

Worst - Wolves. Place is a sh*t whole, ground is falling apart. Fans are silence and rude. Stewards are beyond belief. In short, rubbish.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Favourite/Least Favourite Away Grounds? Empty Re: Favourite/Least Favourite Away Grounds?

Post by westisbest Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:49 am

I'm basing mine more on the away day, and not just the ground itself.

Favourite - probably go with Fulham.
Great bars, always have had a laugh.
Been there 3 times, ground itself is ok.

Worst - will go with Fratten Park.
Been there fair few times, as not far, but what a st hole of a ground.
Walls full of graffiti, such a squeeze when you get into the ground.
Toilets to small, therefore stupid lines, same with food.

Wouldn't go if i didn't live near by.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:54 am

Favourites

Tough one really. Facilities wise Man City is ok, although pricy. Not the best view for away fans. If we take into account the wider area then Fulham is ok, as is Chelsea.

Worst

Stoke. They place is a total sh!t hole. Horrible fans and thugs for stewards. The place offers nothing.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:00 am

I've always had a soft spot for Banbury, in truth.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by RinoGattuso Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:11 am

Best - St James' Park - Newcastle, Just a great stadium with a decent atmosphere, best stadium i've been in except Ibrox.

Worst - Rugby Park - Kilmarnock, i don't think i need to explain, total Poopie, decent pies though.

RinoGattuso

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:21 am

Glad to see St James' park up there. It's local to the city centre and you'll find most of the bars are very accommodating to away fans up for a bit of banter.

How did you find the view from level 7? I used to have a season ticket right next to the away fans and personally loved the view.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:24 am

Best - Really liked The Hawthornes actually, stewards are nice, you get a decent view, surrounding area isn't great, but it's generally quite friendly.

Worst - White Hart Lane. Seats are too cramped, stewards don't let you do anything, rubbish view, not nice
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:28 pm

Best - Meadow Lane - Ground is ok, but the Nottingham night life was better. Villa Park - Sh.te area but a lovely ground to watch Football.

Worst - Selihurst Park - crap view, from where I was, and the area isn't the best.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:37 pm

Villa Park, really? Awful place. Awful ground. Awful fans. One of my least favourite away days.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:46 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:Villa Park, really? Awful place. Awful ground. Awful fans. One of my least favourite away days.
Ground is superb for watching, but then again I am use to lower league grounds. The area isn't the best, granted, but Birmingham itself is ok for a day/night out.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:07 pm

Villa Park is a lovely ground, the area isn't but the ground itself is really nice.

St James' Park is probably my favourite. A fantastic ground, top class facilities in a lovely city.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:40 pm

NickisBHAFC wrote:Worst - Wolves. Place is a sh*t whole, ground is falling apart. Fans are silence and rude. Stewards are beyond belief. In short, rubbish.
I like this kid Laugh

Mine is Selhurt Park. Wooden seats, foxes nobbing in the stands, terrible food, miserable locality. Crud football.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:44 pm

Azzy Mahmood wrote:
NickisBHAFC wrote:Worst - Wolves. Place is a sh*t whole, ground is falling apart. Fans are silence and rude. Stewards are beyond belief. In short, rubbish.
I like this kid Laugh

Mine is Selhurt Park. Wooden seats, foxes nobbing in the stands, terrible food, miserable locality. Crud football.
Least you only had away games there Sad 
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:52 pm

Oh yeah, I'd hate to actually go every week Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:54 pm

Our attractive, flowing, Brazil-like football made up for the poor ground!!!

I'm pleased we aren't there anymore.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:56 pm

I still like the mental image of 25,000 United fans squeezing into the ground alongside the 1,200 Palace fans.

Boundary Park is a dump too, apologies to any Oldham fans that have to go there.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:59 pm

The Womble wrote:Our attractive, flowing, Brazil-like football made up for the poor ground!!!

I'm pleased we aren't there anymore.
Milton Keynes now Wink 
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:48 pm

Stella wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:Villa Park, really? Awful place. Awful ground. Awful fans. One of my least favourite away days.
Ground is superb for watching, but then again I am use to lower league grounds. The area isn't the best, granted, but Birmingham itself is ok for a day/night out.

Villa Park, ground is great, obviously never been in the away end, around the ground granted is poor.

Fans, we go have our moaners(as does every team), but on the whole we are good fans, especially on away days.
Not sure how you can say the ground is poor, but each to their own i guess.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by hornbloweroafc Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:58 pm

Azzy Mahmood wrote:I still like the mental image of 25,000 United fans squeezing into the ground alongside the 1,200 Palace fans.

Boundary Park is a dump too, apologies to any Oldham fans that have to go there.
I do agree it is a dump but it's our dump Wink We have 3 stands (should start building the new stand Jan 2014, hopefully) and our best stand (Rochdale Rd End) is mainly for the away fans. Plus its like a morgue due to the moaners! Thinking about it now, why do I go every week? Headscratch 

Best ground been to in recent times is Anfield - 6000 latics fans on a friday night, booze all day and took the lead (we ended up losing 5-1 but that doesn't matter as we sung all night). "Where's your famous atmosphere?"

Worst is a tough one but I'll go with Chesterfields old Saltergate (toilet was a wall behind the stand). Blackpool a few years ago when we played them in play offs and we was sat on a bit of scaffolding on one side of the pitch.
hornbloweroafc
hornbloweroafc

Back to top Go down

Post by hbk48942 Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:10 am

Prenton Park was ok when i went but there wasnt a lot of car parking spaces and not a lot to do around the ground.

hbk48942

Back to top Go down

Post by hbk48942 Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:35 am

Wembley is better than what some people say it is.

hbk48942

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:12 am

hbk48942 wrote:(you can include Wembley)

just reading on the premier league match thread , they were discussing football grounds and which ones do they like so i thought i would start this , which football grounds apart from your own do you always enjoy going to and which do you hate going to for any reason?
I used to like the old Wembley too.  Sure, by the late 90's, it was a dump and needed pulling down, but it held the very soul of English football.  It had the ghosts of great players and great occasions.   It had folklore and yes, it was the scene of THAT world cup final.  

I went to old Wembley a number of times. I watched England's world champions getting rolled over by a Jim Baxter inspired Scotland in 1967.....
I watched  Kevin Keegan work his sublime one-two with Trevor Brooking to split the Scottish defence wide open in 1979, and Glenn Hoddle sidefoot the ball into the roof of the net from 20 yards on his England debut vs Bulgaria in the same year...  I was amongst the Hammers fans when Bobby Moore play AGAINST West Ham in an FA Cup Final in 1975.... and sang Three Lions with 80'000 other delirious Englishmen as England demolished the Dutch during Euro 96, and of course, that never to be forgotten play off final between Sunderland and Charlton in 1998.   Just some of the sixteen or so games I saw at the old Wembley, but very special memories.

New Wembley is a fantastic stadium with superb facilities, but it is sterile.  It doesn't hold the beating heart of English football like old Wembley did.   Nothing has happened at new Wembley yet to give it an aura.   No white horse..... no Stanley Matthews winning the cup final almost single handedly from a seemingly lost cause.... no Ricky Villa slaloming through the Man City defence to score the greatest cup final goal of them all.... and no Bobby Moore, wiping his hands so he won't get the Queen's gloves dirty before she gives him the world cup.... carried shoulder high with Jules Rimet glinting in the summer sunshine.... and Nobby dancing.....

When new Wembley has gravitas like that, it will be a great stadium.  Until then, it's just another football ground.
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down