The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scarlets 14 v 17 Munster

+51
SecretFly
Jenifer McLadyboy
BlueMuff
munkian
Shifty
Londonwelsh
Portnoy
mankiaow
Standulstermen
LondonTiger
Seagultaf
gelodge
Mickado
dogtooth
Casartelli
Cymroglan
RDW
galwegian101
Knowsit17
valjester
Golden
mckay1402
wales606
BigTrevsbigmac
Dubbelyew L Overate
Artful_Dodger
Turkster
asoreleftshoulder
Welshmushroom
Rory_Gallagher
Smirnoffpriest
overlordofthewest
Morgannwg
Comfort
dublin_dave
rodders
pontylad
geoff998rugby
Sin é
The Great Aukster
MMC
Chunky Norwich
Luckless Pedestrian
Thomond
ME-109
SubsBench
Feckless Rogue
Taffineastbourne
Red Right
maestegmafia
Glas a du
55 posters

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Scarlets 14 v 17 Munster - Page 7 Empty Scarlets 14 v 17 Munster

Post by Glas a du Thu 8 Dec - 21:07

First topic message reminder :

Parc Y Scarlets 10/12/11

In the pre match preamble I asked two questions:
1 will the injury to Howlett make any difference at all?
2 can the Scarlets pack withstand the onslaught they are bound to face and get any sort of decent ball for the Scarlets to get their running game going

They were the wrong questions. In the event Munster chucked it about with abandon (for two or three phases anyway) and Zebo looked quite at home.

The Scarlets had plenty of ball but for the main part were clueless with it.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by Glas a du on Sun 11 Dec - 11:06; edited 4 times in total
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Scarlets 14 v 17 Munster - Page 7 Empty Re: Scarlets 14 v 17 Munster

Post by Artful_Dodger Mon 12 Dec - 12:50

Morgannwg wrote:

Agree with the comments on Scottish and Italian refs, we need to hire some English refs because they can interprit scrums and the break down within the laws. The French officials are usually good. They just don't like Cardiff or the B&I Lions.

Thats what I was referring to, but then you already knew that didnt you....spanner.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 12 Dec - 12:52

munkian wrote:Can you say Glas rather than 'the Welsh' - he's not our spokesman.

I thought you were just sticking up for him about 5 minutes ago?

I would, but the point is that it isn't just Glas blaming the ref for all these things. There are a number of welsh posters guilty of it, and it has become a complete joke.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 12 Dec - 12:57

Only to you. You seem to foaming at the gash about it on most threads, you'll have to change your panties soon Erm

I'm not 'sticking up for him' - you are tarring all Welsh with the same brush.

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 12 Dec - 13:00

Nah I am just having a good laugh at how ridiculous some of these posts have been thumbsup

I don't think I have tarred ALL welsh with the same brush, just the ones who have been blaming the ref everytime something doesn't go their way. Which has happened a bunch of times on this forum, and it always seems to be welsh posters..

See the connection?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 12 Dec - 13:04

And the weather, I'm sure I saw Poite doing a rain dance in the car park before peeing on Ray Gravell's statue in the half time interval. Very Happy

I highlighted PART in my previous point deliberately. Now please read it again. You don't know what Welsh rugby fans were used to before regionalisation. We had decent refs and a decent brand of club rugby. The Clubs were on their backside because there were not enough good players to form a competitive league within Wales with enough games to keep revenues up. With the departure of the English clubs to set up their own leagues in 1990, Welsh club rugby became unsustainable at the top level. The regions were the only option available short of joining the English leagues which was unlikely.

Since regionalisation part of the problem in getting fans in is the product. The quality of rugby in the Magners and Pro12 has not been good enough to draw them in and weak Scottish and Italian refs carry PART of the blame as we tend to get them when facing our strongest rivals.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 12 Dec - 13:06

Might be the same one or two posters, can't really call them a representative demographic though.

I do, however, find the vastly conflicting interpretations of the law by refs to be very annoying - some are also easily swayed by teams too.

Munster happen to be very good at this - I'm not a fan.

Saying that, if the Dragons finally nail down a Captain that isn;t injured and he happens to be able to charm/intimidate refs into making more calls go our way I wouldn't mind either Wink
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Mon 12 Dec - 13:07

Morgannwg wrote:
DOD wrote:
I agree he missed a lot of the scarlets indiscretions....

Anyone else think dod is getting boring now? He comes out with "yeah but they did this and you did that" every week when someone gives an impartial view on a fixture Munster were involved in.

Agree with the comments on Scottish and Italian refs, we need to hire some English refs because they can interprit scrums and the break down within the laws. The French officials are usually good. They just don't like Cardiff or the B&I Lions.

If you mean I give the opposing view then guilty as charged (none of the Scarlets indiscretions of which there were plenty were mentioned here).

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon 12 Dec - 13:08

Artful_Dodger wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:

Thats what I was referring to, but then you already knew that didnt you....spanner.

Listen here muppet boy, you said "So basically the only refs you would be happy with are English...?

But no doubt even then Welsh teams are at a disadvantage cause when they play England they cant have an English ref!!!" - we do not play England or England teams in the pro12. We do in Europe and that is a different panel of officials, from most corners of Europe with one or two from Scotland and none from Italy as far as I am aware. So again, not sure the point you were trying to put across apart form being a moronic toad. I cleary did not write that the only refs I would be happy with were English. Although some do have their inadequacies they do a sound job of interpreting the scrums/breakdown area when compared to their Scottish counterparts.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 12 Dec - 13:09

Morgannwg wrote:
Artful_Dodger wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:

Listen here muppet boy, you said "So basically the only refs you would be happy with are English...?

But no doubt even then Welsh teams are at a disadvantage cause when they play England they cant have an English ref!!!" - we do not play England or England teams in the pro12. We do in Europe and that is a different panel of officials, from most corners of Europe with one or two from Scotland and none from Italy as far as I am aware. So again, not sure the point you were trying to put across apart form being a moronic toad. I cleary did not write that the only refs I would be happy with were English. Although some do have their inadequacies they do a sound job of interpreting the scrums/breakdown area when compared to their Scottish counterparts.

*facepalm*

laughing

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon 12 Dec - 13:11

Would you have preferred spanner? I'm glad someone is this cheerful on a monday though.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 12 Dec - 13:13

Wow,this is making for great reading, 90% of it is horseshit but still!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 12 Dec - 13:13

No no, muppet boy was good thumbsup

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 12 Dec - 13:14

Thomond wrote:Wow,this is making for great reading, 90% of it is horseshit but still!

Thomond - you can blame the ref for that!

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Mon 12 Dec - 13:19

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Thomond wrote:Wow,this is making for great reading, 90% of it is horseshit but still!

Thomond - you can blame the ref for that!

I thought the Irish never blamed the ref? To be sure to be sure.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 12 Dec - 13:21

Wow. You do realise I was being sarcastic/making fun of half the other posts in this thread?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Mon 12 Dec - 13:22

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Wow. You do realise I was being sarcastic/making fun of half the other posts in this thread?

Curses.

No I didn't. Epic Fail.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 12 Dec - 13:23

Chunky, the most high profile case involving Ireland's Rugby Team( let's not talk about the Hand of Frog) and poor refereeing occured this year. The Mike Phillips try, you will find that many were not aggrieved as we did not deserve to win that game and it was our own ineptitiude which cost us the game.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Mon 12 Dec - 13:24

Thomond wrote:Chunky, the most high profile case involving Ireland's Rugby Team( let's not talk about the Hand of Frog) and poor refereeing occured this year. The Mike Phillips try, you will find that many were not aggrieved as we did not deserve to win that game and it was our own ineptitiude which cost us the game.

+1

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Mon 12 Dec - 13:25

Thomond wrote:Chunky, the most high profile case involving Ireland's Rugby Team( let's not talk about the Hand of Frog) and poor refereeing occured this year. The Mike Phillips try, you will find that many were not aggrieved as we did not deserve to win that game and it was our own ineptitiude which cost us the game.

What goes around comes around.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 12 Dec - 13:25

No it wasn't.......it was ROG'S fault! Laugh... Run
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 12 Dec - 13:26

Chunky Norwich wrote:

What goes around comes around.

Exactly, refereeing decisions and general luck even out over a season. So why are you b!tching about Poite?!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Mon 12 Dec - 13:27

Thomond wrote:

Exactly, refereeing decisions and general luck even out over a season. So why are you b!tching about Poite?!

Which posts of mine specifically bitch about Poite?

I have repeatedly said Munster would have won with any referee.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon 12 Dec - 13:27

laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing

Suprised if this doesn't have Rory the clown in stitches. It is actually still mentioned often. Aggrieved would be putting it lightly going by the reactions online and on YouTube, in fact some fans do not accept the game as a legitimate loss. It was a howler by Kaplan and his touch judge though. I can't be sure if Rees knew what he was doing, as he is not the smartest either.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Mon 12 Dec - 13:30

Morgannwg wrote:

laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing

Suprised if this doesn't have Rory the clown in stitches. It is actually still mentioned often. Aggrieved would be putting it lightly going by the reactions online and on YouTube, in fact some fans do not accept the game as a legitimate loss. It was a howler by Kaplan and his touch judge though. I can't be sure if Rees knew what he was doing, as he is not the smartest either.

A similar thing happenned in the Scarlets v Munster HC game about 5 years ago. David Wallace scored from a quick throw in after Priestland's touchfinder went high in the stands.

A quick throw was incorrectly allowed, the try changed the game and Munster won.

Last edited by Chunky Norwich on Mon 12 Dec - 13:31; edited 1 time in total

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 12 Dec - 13:30

Come on Morgannwg, there's no need to be baiting Rory in every post zen

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 12 Dec - 13:31

roddersm wrote:Come on Morgannwg, there's no need to be baiting Rory in every post zen

No, no he can continue, he is right it is giving me a laugh Smile I would love to hear more! As long as he realises it is himself he is embarrassing here thumbsup

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 12 Dec - 13:33

Morgan, Youtube isn't a good source. It's the biggest site for Wums in the Universe. I have never seen it mentioned on here on old 606 or any fans I know. Chunky, was the quick throw law in practice then? I thought it only came in around 08 or so. I was talking in general terms rather than labelling you specifically in my previous post.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 12 Dec - 13:34

I can't believe I read that the irish didn't feel aggrieved about the Phillips try - it's still being mentioned now and at the time and for months after the boards were full of fans berating the ref, Rees, Phillips, the Linesman, the result even Gatland came in for a lot of stick.

It's the same as happens with most teams (such as Wales and Warbs red card) but I def would love to see the irish aggrieved if (in Thomonds opinion) that was not aggrieved

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Mon 12 Dec - 13:37

Thomond wrote: Chunky, was the quick throw law in practice then? I thought it only came in around 08 or so. .

Yes it was, because at the time we were all baffled by the officials decision to play on.

The game was in 2008. Just checked.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 12 Dec - 13:38

Smirnoff when was the last time it was mentioned on here bar me bringing it up?

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 12 Dec - 13:39

Theres a difference between feeling aggrieved and blaming the officials for the result.

I think most Irish posters acknowledge that we had enough opportunities to win that game regardless of the try that shouldn't have been allowed.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 12 Dec - 13:42

Ireland hand chance for revenge in the World cup for Phillip's gamesmanship and it didn't work out.

Best 'o foive is it now lads ? Very Happy

(If my girlfriend read that she would kill me)
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 12 Dec - 13:44

roddersm wrote:Theres a difference between feeling aggrieved and blaming the officials for the result.

I think most Irish posters acknowledge that we had enough opportunities to win that game regardless of the try that shouldn't have been allowed.

If I'm honest I think we should let some of these posters continue to think whatever they think rodders. It is clear they won't be changing their minds anytime soon. It has been a fun ride though thumbsup

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Mon 12 Dec - 13:47

Rory_Gallagher wrote:

If I'm honest I think we should let some of these posters continue to think whatever they think rodders.

Phwew. Thank christ I can think what i want to think. The Mind Police had me worried there.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 12 Dec - 13:48

Yes, but we are not you. If that happened to us you would NEVER hear the end of it.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 12 Dec - 13:49

They're coming to get you Chunky
http://www.qgmindpolice.com/comics/2009-05-29-ComputerSketch.png

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Mon 12 Dec - 13:51

Smile

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon 12 Dec - 13:51

Thomond wrote:Smirnoff when was the last time it was mentioned on here bar me bringing it up?

During the aftermath of Ireland world cup win over Australia. I do not remember the poster, but it sure did go to his head. Started to bang on about Ireland having the best back-row in the world and how their awesome defence conceded only three legitimate tries in the 6 Nations, then made reference back to the word legitimate.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 12 Dec - 13:51

Now who's talking horseshit! Welsh refs are better than the other countries refs, who are awful, how on earth will that ever 'even out'.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Mon 12 Dec - 13:52

Hmm lets see you have Nigel Owens and who else......James Jones??

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 12 Dec - 13:58

Laugh you have to have an exception to prove the rule, and that is what 'Gelboy' is.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 12 Dec - 14:08

Thormond - it was mentioned during the WC, and since I think there was a reference to it on the IRB Rankings thread. Also going back a bit more it's mentioned during the 6N's campaigns since it happend - including this year.

I'm not saying that the irish are the only ones who do this or that they are over the top, as other nations all do the same about particular gripes - but it wasn't the case that an entire nation just held up it's arms and said "fair do's the best side won" and promtly forgot it ever happened.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Mon 12 Dec - 14:09

Afternoon all,

What a weekend in Wales - great craic in "The BeefEater". Nearly want to go back there today because all pints are £1.50 for tradesmen between 6 and 9 but only if your wearing your uniform.....

Anyway here are my thoughts on the match

1. Great win for Munster against a form team. Not many were predicting a Munster win before the match moreover a bonus point was the general concensus.

2. Huge travelling Munster support but surprised that a stadium that holds 14,500 wasnt a complete sell out.

3. Zebo - dont know whether its cause I was drunk or he a had a completely mixed game but can somebody clarify did he play well or badly???

4. Niall Ronan - thought he was immense and the try was the icing on the cake.

5. POC and ROG - can we build the statues outside Thomond now....

6. BJ - what a signing. For me the single reason we failed to qaulify last year was getting hammered in the scrum in Toulon and against the Ospreys home and away.

7. The bench really really made a big impact.

All in all two great away wins that now has us in the driving seat for home quarter final when hopefully we will have Jones and earls back

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon 12 Dec - 14:11

Smirnoffpriest wrote:I can't believe I read that the irish didn't feel aggrieved about the Phillips try - it's still being mentioned now and at the time and for months after the boards were full of fans berating the ref, Rees, Phillips, the Linesman, the result even Gatland came in for a lot of stick.

It's the same as happens with most teams (such as Wales and Warbs red card) but I def would love to see the irish aggrieved if (in Thomonds opinion) that was not aggrieved

I can see why you would link these 2 events in your head ok.

A situation where the one of the best refs in Rugby makes the right call (perhaps slightly harsh, but right) which is acknowledged as right by the player concerned.

Is exactly the same as.

A total clown of a assistant ref who should not be reffing the u13s gets a call abut as wrong as can be, and the ref makes a decision based on it.

Do you believe in creationism also? Very Happy

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 12 Dec - 14:15

BlueMuff, Zebo did brilliant for that chip over the top from ROG but can't remember him doing that much else of note.... Headscratch Did he struggle a wee bit against Lamont?

Pretty much agree on all your points though. BJ and Niall Ronan were outstanding.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon 12 Dec - 14:15

BlueMuff wrote:
3. Zebo - dont know whether its cause I was drunk or he a had a completely mixed game but can somebody clarify did he play well or badly???
Very gifted player who's brain is not yet running quick enough for rugby at this level.

Positionally questionable. Probably has it easier at club level where his pace can make up for a lot.

Experience should help him become a much better player. You can coach most of the stuff he is missing, and I think that was his first HC game. Deffo his 1st start.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Mon 12 Dec - 14:18

BlueMuff wrote:
6. BJ - what a signing. For me the single reason we failed to qaulify last year was getting hammered in the scrum in Toulon and against the Ospreys home and away.

Agree - motm performance, I knew he would come good for Munster, he just doesnt lose in the scrum to anyone, still one of the best scrummagers in the world when it comes to technique. Picked up an injury though so hope its nothing that will keep him out for long.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 12 Dec - 14:21

Can't wait to see more from Zebo. He is a real talent and I hope to see him progress. He is only 21, so he has plenty of time.

Ronan is playing very well atm for Munster. As I have said, if Wallace returns and Ronan still is playing as he is, Wallace should play 6. I believe Wallace is just as good at 6 or 8 as he is at 7.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Mon 12 Dec - 14:22

roddersm wrote: Did he struggle a wee bit against Lamont?

I think he was up against Liam Williams not Lamont.

I personally hope Zebo faces North next weekend. Should be a different prospect. Zebo's got gas and raw talent though. Could come good.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 12 Dec - 14:25

Appologies yeah I couldn't quiet remember, think he missed a couple of tackles but maybe I'm just making stuff up now.... Headscratch ...yeah he's got potential alright.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next