The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chris Ashton to Sarries?

+8
bobo
HongKongCherry
logansrun38
LondonTiger
Geordie
Ozzy3213
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
formerly known as Sam
12 posters

Go down

Chris Ashton to Sarries? Empty Chris Ashton to Sarries?

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 12 Dec 2011, 10:00 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/16128326.stm

The beeb seem to think it's a possibility. With his best mate Joel Tomkins having signed to play at Sarries and former team mate Andy Farrell on the coaching staff it seems Ashton might feel he was moving back amongst friends. Helped by the RL gimmicks utilised by the current English Champions (music after scores, cheer leaders etc).

Thoughts?

Who would make way at Sarries for him, as he won't be cheap?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Chris Ashton to Sarries? Empty Re: Chris Ashton to Sarries?

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 12 Dec 2011, 10:14 am

And to think people questioned Saracens use of salary cap loopholes Whistle

It would be a big coup for Saracens to land him, and possibly a pity for England if he isnt playing alongside Foden anymore.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon 12 Dec 2011, 10:20 am

Rumours also abound that Foden is stalling on signing a new Saints contract, so he may well be off anyway.

Saracens potential backline next season could be Wigglesworth, Hodgson, Strettle, Farrell, Tomkins, Ashton, Goode.

All English backline, which may go some way to silencing those accusing them of being a South African club in disguise.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 12 Dec 2011, 10:22 am

No Barritt?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 12 Dec 2011, 10:30 am

I assume that they must be dropping their interest in Dan Cole to afford this.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon 12 Dec 2011, 10:31 am

Bench of Spencer, Barritt and Short at a guess. Barritt covers 10,12,13 and Short the back three.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon 12 Dec 2011, 10:32 am

I thought Cole was all but re-signed to the Tigers LT???
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 12 Dec 2011, 10:53 am

Probably, but the club keep these things tight to their chests.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 12 Dec 2011, 11:22 am

The Cole deal is apparently done and just requires finalizing. In good old Tigers style the Mercury have let us know more than the club.

Ashton could be signed as the new 'marquee' player for next season. Seems a waste when they already have Short, Wyles, Strettle and Ransom on their books.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by logansrun38 Mon 12 Dec 2011, 11:49 am

The Marquee player wouldnt apply here

logansrun38

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Mon 12 Dec 2011, 12:07 pm

Ozzy, Foden signed a 2 year contract recently http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/15373640.stm

I'm sure Sarries will just tell us they have excellent negotiators and don't have a wage bill to rival Toulouse! Wink
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 12 Dec 2011, 12:12 pm

The Marquee player wouldnt apply here.

I was thinking that they'd make room within the salary cap by moving a foreign player on a chunky wage into the marquee slot. I think you can do that. It's what some papers were proposing Tigers would do with Castro or Cole in order to free up a good chunk of salary cap.

Maybe Sarries are set to lose one of Wyles, Strettle or Short. They've got Mattock as well but I thought he was just cover for the RWC andwhilst Ransom gained experience in the Championship. Are any of these guys out of contract at the end of the season?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by bobo Mon 12 Dec 2011, 12:14 pm

Ashton will flop without foden. Rather loose ashton and keep foden to be honest.

he is becoming a liability, he is no use to the team starting fights and getting himself suspended

obviously it would be nice to keep him as he is clearly a quality player but saints have plenty of young wingers with a better attitude than he has displayed recently

bobo

Back to top Go down

Post by logansrun38 Mon 12 Dec 2011, 12:16 pm

It cant be an existing foreign player either, so they couldnt start paying Smit as a marquee player from next season.
They are loosing Hougaard (who I believe is on the best paid players in the Prem) and Carstens and probably some long time players such Tagi (cant spell his surname) or Ratuvu so I can see there the money would come from.

logansrun38

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 12 Dec 2011, 12:23 pm

Hougaard's salray was negotiated down a little while back I think. Still he is a drain on resources that they are desperate to offload.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by logansrun38 Mon 12 Dec 2011, 12:30 pm

Londontiger - assuming that you are a Tigers fan - wasnt he the best paid player at Leicester when he was with you?

logansrun38

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 12 Dec 2011, 12:33 pm

The way I see it. Ashton is obviously a very good player who knows where the try line is. Would he fit into the Saracens gameplan? Debatable.

His mindset is not a problem in my opinion. One thing the Saracens management do really well is player welfare. They might neglect the average fans a bit but the players are treated really well. It makes attracting top players much easier. Add that to close proximity to London and a strong side virtually guaranteed of HC rugby and a realistic shot at titles - this makes things tantalising for players.

The pros are he is a very good winger, he scores a lot of tries, he's a player I like. He knows the Northern lads and England boys.

The cons - we are already well stocked in wingers - Maddock,Strettle,Short,Wyles,Tagicakibau (when fit),Ratuvou (when fit) and Watson.
Wing is not a weakness.
He would be expensive - salary cap.
He would be frequently away with England.
Might upset the boat. E.g. if Ashton is paid more than the likes of Burger,Brits and Joubert.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 12 Dec 2011, 12:40 pm

Londontiger - assuming that you are a Tigers fan - wasnt he the best paid player at Leicester when he was with you?.

Not the best but Meyer shelled out some big cash to bring him in. Probabley the best paid back where as Tigers normally reward loyalty so it would be quite the thing for him to have been given a bigger wage than Murphy at the time. The most high paid Tigers are normally always the props.

It cant be an existing foreign player either, so they couldnt start paying Smit as a marquee player from next season

You got a link to the wording of the regs?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Mon 12 Dec 2011, 3:32 pm

As a Saints fan agree with bobo, would much rather keep Foden than Ashton. Would be a loss however, although an idiot he's a very good player. They are talking 300k per year on the Daily Fail's website - that's a big chunck of salary if he isn't going to be the 'marque' player.

If he was to go I would hope the Saints sign another fly-half and strengthen the back row. Anyone know if SOB and Sexton are available Very Happy

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Mon 12 Dec 2011, 3:34 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
Londontiger - assuming that you are a Tigers fan - wasnt he the best paid player at Leicester when he was with you?.

Not the best but Meyer shelled out some big cash to bring him in. Probabley the best paid back where as Tigers normally reward loyalty so it would be quite the thing for him to have been given a bigger wage than Murphy at the time. The most high paid Tigers are normally always the props.

It cant be an existing foreign player either, so they couldnt start paying Smit as a marquee player from next season

You got a link to the wording of the regs?
Amazed he was on so much. Didn't see much of him when he still played in SA - was he that good to command a big salary?

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 12 Dec 2011, 3:38 pm

Hougard was Meyer's blue eyed boy - but I hope he was not paid more than Mauger who was the highest paid at the time (I think).

As to Ashton - Sunday times story suggested Ashton has been offered £200k.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 12 Dec 2011, 3:43 pm

B91212 for the backrow problems couldn't you sign Ben Morgan off Scarlets?

Saints need another fly half with the mighty Myler and Lamb at the club?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 12 Dec 2011, 4:21 pm

Amazed he was on so much. Didn't see much of him when he still played in SA - was he that good to command a big salary?

Meyer was keen to bring a Blue Bulls game plan to Tigers. The powerful scrum and rock solid lineout was already there but a fly half with the ability to slot penalties and drop goals reliabley and smash kicks 60 odd metres wasn't. Goode was gone and Flood signed up but with no back up option. At the time Flood was still very raw and more of a passing option (he stills passes when he should take territory). Meyer decided his protege Hougaard who was looking to leave the Bulls having found Steyn stealing his shirt was the answer. A hefty two year contract was presented as Tigers had been trying (and failing) to lure over Juan Martin Hernandez and so had the cash available.

He was injured for most of Meyer's time in charge which was unlucky and when Meyer left for personal reasons he was the exact opposite of Cockerill's requirements for a front line 10. Cockerill has always tried to play a more French style of game (France was where he started coaching) where pace and power are combined in a brutally efficient manner. Hougaard's tendancies to kick first and pass later didn't match. He was too expensive to keep as a back up 10 so was sold to Sarries (intially Tigers tried to trade him for Alex Goode but that failed) on the basis that Tigers paid the difference in salary on the last year of his deal, which allowed us to bring in Staunton plus with cash to spare.

Sarries two year deal ran out at the end of last season (whilst Hougaard was injured) and he agreed a much smaller one year deal. He's not played since, presumabley still injured.

B91212 for the backrow problems couldn't you sign Ben Morgan off Scarlets?

Doubt he'll leave the Scarlets, despite his father's wishes seems he's set on playing for Wales. Saints only have backrow problems because of injuries. Normally they have Dowson, Wood, Wilson with Clark on the bench and Nutley able to step up and the option of Lawes slotting in at blindside if required. That's not bad in terms of options. I suppose they might chase another in the summer though if I were them I'd clear out 10/12/13 and rebuild there as that's where they are weakest.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Mon 12 Dec 2011, 5:45 pm

LondonTiger wrote:As to Ashton - Sunday times story suggested Ashton has been offered £200k.
Again according to the Daily Mail he is thought to already get 180k, tempted to take the Telegraph over the Mail when it comes to reliability though!

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Mon 12 Dec 2011, 6:03 pm

Still would be tempted for another fly half along with Myler & Lamb. On the one hand you have a guy who can unlock defenses and is very good on the front foot but is weak in defense and kind also may go missing in tight games, and then there is the other option of a steady guy who is pretty strong in defense but won't really trouble top defensive opposition. I guess I'm greedy in wanting a 10 who can do the lot to a decent standard. Can also see Myler leaving if he doesn't get regular starts in the big games.

I think Saints are okay in the centers. Downey is one of the top 12 in the AP at what he does and is crucial to how the Saints generally play and May seems a decent back up. Pisi looks a bit of a find at 13 (although he was signed more as a back up FB) and again Clarke provides decent competition.

Feel a decent number 8 would be a good addition to challenge Wilson and would love to sign Morgan, although I too think he will stay at the Scarlet's and also play for Wales. As shown at the weekend, once Wilson and Dowson are out then there is no number 8 in the squad to back up (by all accounts Manoa should stick to lock although I didn't see the game itself). Wood will be with England during the 6N and Clark was in the Saxons squad in the summer (although ended up missing out due to injury). There is always the chance that Dowson could also get called up if there is an injury crisis in England's back row as a short term option.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by bobo Mon 12 Dec 2011, 6:17 pm

if clubs arent allowed to talk to players until january and theres rumours of contracts and links with saracens flying around.....?

now im not accusing saracens of foulplay but there does seem to be something fishy going on there Whistle

bobo

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 12 Dec 2011, 6:20 pm

Or just supposition

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 13 Dec 2011, 9:26 am

I don't think they are allowed to offer contracts until January but I'm sure agents are driving around the clubs enjoying free lunches and having 'general' discussions.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:28 am

Hmmm I have to say I can see Ashton going to France. Given the reported figures Welsh players are being offered I cant see any English sides matching them (French Clubs) if they show interested.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:35 am

It would end his England career though Mushroom. There's a good number of young English wingers stepping forward at the minute.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:36 am

Welshmushroom why would Ashton wave his international career goodbye?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:43 am

Im sure most of this is coming from his agents anyway trying to force Saints hands on pay

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down