The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Record for dismissals in the same manner.

+4
Beer
Stella
Fists of Fury
kiakahaaotearoa
8 posters

Go down

Record for dismissals in the same manner. Empty Record for dismissals in the same manner.

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 12 Dec 2011, 1:55 pm

Martin got the opener Hughes out in exactly the same manner in every innings of this two-match series. He got him to nick the ball to the slips and every time Guptill caught it. That´s 4 dismissals in a row in exactly the same way.

Any idea of how that stands in the record books? I guess it could´ve happened in a three match series and bowling or lbw would be a lot easier than having the ball go to to the same player each time. But to me astounding nevertheless.

Any other examples would be greatly appreciated.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Record for dismissals in the same manner. Empty Re: Record for dismissals in the same manner.

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 12 Dec 2011, 1:57 pm

It is incredible isn't it, and really highlights the glaring flaw in Hughes' game at the moment.

I'd love to know, in fact I may tweet Benedict and see what he says!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Record for dismissals in the same manner. Empty Re: Record for dismissals in the same manner.

Post by Stella Mon 12 Dec 2011, 2:07 pm

I suspect that Gower would have been caught in the slips on quite a few occasions. Not sure in what series these would have happened though.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 12 Dec 2011, 2:08 pm

By the same player though Stella?

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 12 Dec 2011, 2:10 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:By the same player though Stella?

Yeah, I don't know, sorry. I was hoping that another poster may shed some light Smile
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Mon 12 Dec 2011, 2:11 pm

Not quite close enough, but didn't Courtney Walsh get Athers with 3 slower balls in one series when Athers ducked?

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 12 Dec 2011, 2:12 pm

Haha fair enough mate. It´s not easy. I´ve heard of plenty of dismissals in the same manner with a team siffing out a batsman´s weakness. But it´s another thing to be the same player catching the ball each time. Guptill was at second slip as well so it´s not like the wicketkeeper catching it.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 12 Dec 2011, 2:13 pm

I imagine there might have been a few "c Jayawardene b Muralitharan" dismissals in a row somewhere along the line?

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 12 Dec 2011, 2:13 pm

That´s not bad King Beer. Certainly funny. That´s a top order´s batsman´s nightmare being undone by a slow ball and made to look stupid.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Mon 12 Dec 2011, 2:17 pm

I'm sure i remember them being quite unique dismissals, especially the look on Ather's face when he realised he'd been done again.

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by indianfan Mon 12 Dec 2011, 2:58 pm

Yuvraj singh has got kevin pietersen 6 time in a row LBW or bowled

indianfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 12 Dec 2011, 3:00 pm

Not in a row though, CF.

I.e. KP got out to other people inbetween those wickets.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 12 Dec 2011, 3:09 pm

The more I think about it, the more difficult I think it is to be out to the same bowler being caught by the same fielder in every innings in a series. I think that has to be a record in itself.

Batsmen have been dismissed in a similar manner and even to the same bowler. But not always being caught by the same guy. I´ve tried looking for it but can´t seem to find anything. Saw a top 10 list on most weird dismissals which might be worth posting by itself though.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 12 Dec 2011, 3:14 pm

A few candidates to look at:
Gooch being dismissed by Alderman. IIRC, it was either bowled or LBW to Alderman's in-swinger/straight ball

Gower caught at 2nd slip - could be off just about any bowler.

Gatting timed out coming back late from Lunch or Tea Smile

Derek Randall / Inzamam Ul Haq's battng partners being run out...

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 12 Dec 2011, 3:19 pm

McCullum out to an ill-advised shot.

Ryder being out to an ill-advised shot.

Taylor out to an ill-advised shot.

I could go on but it´s irrelevant. The thing is it could be against any bowler.

But a nice list all the same dummy half.

Any honourable mentions to a player whose weakness has been discovered and has been out to the same shot or same way in any series.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 12 Dec 2011, 3:25 pm

Peter Richardson was out caught behind a large number of times in the 1956 Ashes Test. Gil Langley the catcher I think. Praps someone can confirm this.
Richardson did make a few runs in that series, though.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 12 Dec 2011, 3:31 pm

Just looked it up - Richardson out caught behind in each of his eight Test innings in that series. Maddox was the keeper at Leeds and Manchester.
Quite remarkable. Not sure something like that - over a long series, or even over a three-Test one - has happened since or before.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 12 Dec 2011, 3:32 pm

Can we nominate Steve Waugh from his first Ashes series - was not out I think 3 innings in a row.

Kia
Is there a slight technical deficiency in NZs batting?

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 12 Dec 2011, 3:46 pm

Having just checked back, Gooch was only out LBW to Alderman 3 times in 5 matches in 89 (plus one C&B, presumably off a leading edge - although a 6 test series, GG stood down from the 5th test).

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 12 Dec 2011, 3:48 pm

dummy_half wrote:Can we nominate Steve Waugh from his first Ashes series - was not out I think 3 innings in a row.

Kia
Is there a slight technical deficiency in NZs batting?

Slight is not the word. Major is. But more importantly a major problem in temperament.

Good word sirfredperry. That is amazing over 8 innings.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Mon 12 Dec 2011, 3:51 pm

I thought it was Thorpe not Atherton who couldn't handle Walsh's loopy pie?

Atherton must have been out Ct Healy B McGrath a few times, but surely not 4 in a row.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 12 Dec 2011, 4:01 pm

"Atherton must have been out Ct Healy B McGrath a few times, but surely not 4 in a row."

Heck, most of the England side of the late 90s / early 00s were out that way a fair few times. Only thing was they also got out to Warne, Gillespie and Lee.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Mon 12 Dec 2011, 4:06 pm

True true. But Atherton did have his genuine problems with McGrath. Having said that, it always made me laugh when a commentator would say "Atherton really doesn't enjoy batting against McGrath"; I can't imaginge there were many who did!

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 12 Dec 2011, 4:10 pm

McGrath had Athers on a few occasions in 1997 but there was a not out from Atherton amongst these dismissals.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 12 Dec 2011, 4:14 pm

There was a great moment in the Sky commentary box during the last Ashes.

The camera panned to the commentary box and sat there were Hussain, Atherton, and a certain Glenn McGrath.

Hussain obviously brought up Atherton's struggles with McGrath, and Athers said "I've broken out in a cold sweat just sitting next to him".

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down