The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Khan-Peterson Rematch - Bradley to Swoop in?

+7
azania
trottb
owen10ozzy
JDandfries
Fists of Fury
BoxingFan88
Boxtthis
11 posters

Go down

The Khan-Peterson Rematch - Bradley to Swoop in? Empty The Khan-Peterson Rematch - Bradley to Swoop in?

Post by Boxtthis Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:57 pm

A bit of conjecture here, but thought it may be worth discussion.

After Saturday the Khan camp were making a lot of noise about a rematch. Peterson graciously said he'd give Khan his shot. Khan's team are talking like it's a definite (they've been using phrases like "Peterson gave us his word, and we believe him" and are already talking dates). But, I hear that there was no rematch clause at all, and, while Peterson offered a rematch, he didn't offer an immediate rematch. He'll have some serious bargaining power over Khan this time, and knowing how into the negotiations Khan gets, it may be difficult for him to accept the kind of offer Peterson is likely to put forward (remember that Peterson considered Khan to have lowballed him in the first negotiations, and went on to fight Victor Cayo to earn a fraction of the first Khan offer).

So, after the Khan-Bradley unification fight falling through, what do you think the chances are that Bradley will swoop in and set up an all American LWW unification bout with Peterson? I know this would be a rematch, but on Saturdays evidence Peterson looks like a vastly improved fighter from the one who faced Bradley 2 years ago. After Saturday it would be a decent sized fight, and I think the Americans would love to have a undisputed champion now that Pacquiao is no longer considered to be in the 140lb scene any more. Bradley may have been pushing to get involved in the super fight sweepstakes, but most people think he needs another big win or two. A unification win against Peterson might just get him there.

So what do you think? Do we see Khan getting frozen out?

For the record, here's my scorecard for Saturday night's fight:

Khan Peterson

1. 10 8
2. 10 9
3. 9 10
4. 9 10
5. 10 9
6. 10 9
7. 8 10 (Possible Khan)
8. 9 10
9. 10 9
10. 10 9
11. 9 10
12. 9 9 (Possible Peterson)

TOTAL: 113 112

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

The Khan-Peterson Rematch - Bradley to Swoop in? Empty Re: The Khan-Peterson Rematch - Bradley to Swoop in?

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:07 pm

Agree with your scoring of the 7th. I thought Khan won the round and Peterson gets the point for the deduction. I could not stop laughing at Jim Watt 'If there is a point deduction you give the round to the that fighter'... Uh WHAT?

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

The Khan-Peterson Rematch - Bradley to Swoop in? Empty Re: The Khan-Peterson Rematch - Bradley to Swoop in?

Post by Boxtthis Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:49 pm

alma wrote:I did wonder about a Bradley - Peterson rematch. Then working on the assumption that Bradley wins, he can make Khan squirm by offering a rubbish deal, as Khan will have no belts or leverage. At which point Khan calls Bradley all sorts of names on Twitter and then moves up to 147.

Quite a likely scenario actually

Yep I can just see it happening exactly like that!

I've just realised that Bradley was stripped of his WBC title in July/August of this year. Some promoter troubles and some inactivity were the excuses Don Jose barely needed to gift the title to Eric Morales. Sort of takes the shine off of the premise of my All American unification theory. Is Bradley still WBO champion? It'd be a unification bout for all intents and purposes.

Either way, I do see a strong possibility of Khan being frozen out. If I was Peterson, I'd be arranging to get Morales up to Washington to grab a third belt. He'd do well financially from that fight, and I'd see him winning it. Then I'd be after Bradley. Khan has enjoyed his wee spell of dictating terms to others, and he's been pretty smug/superior about it. I can see Karma biting back here.....or maybe he'll just get GB to arrange a fight with Morales straight away and win himself a belt. That's if he can beat Morales. I mean Khan is lightening fast and he's puts on some great shows, but in terms of ring generalship Morales makes him look like a boxing IQ simpleton.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:53 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:Agree with your scoring of the 7th. I thought Khan won the round and Peterson gets the point for the deduction. I could not stop laughing at Jim Watt 'If there is a point deduction you give the round to the that fighter'... Uh WHAT?

Glad someone else picked up on that!! I had a right rant at my TV!!

No..Watt..if the fighter with the deduction won the round aside from that then it is scored 9-9!! What an idiot, time to retire.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:54 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:Agree with your scoring of the 7th. I thought Khan won the round and Peterson gets the point for the deduction. I could not stop laughing at Jim Watt 'If there is a point deduction you give the round to the that fighter'... Uh WHAT?

Yep, I was shouting at the TV at that point. Watt was seemingly sure that the deducted point would mean Khan lost the round even if he somehow miraculously managed to knock Peterson down 15 times. It's ridiculous for an ex-fighter and experienced commentator to have such a poor grasp of the scoring system.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:58 pm

Haha Fists I can just imagine both of us in our own homes independently but simultaneously screaming at an inanimate object.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:00 pm

Haha, I wasn't happy, Watt always seems so anti-UK fighters, now it seems that he is rewriting the rules to assist that!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:05 pm

alma wrote:I did wonder about a Bradley - Peterson rematch. Then working on the assumption that Bradley wins, he can make Khan squirm by offering a rubbish deal, as Khan will have no belts or leverage. At which point Khan calls Bradley all sorts of names on Twitter and then moves up to 147.

Personally, I love that scenario, hope it happens too.

Peterson should re-think his re-match offer...... He should think, he just slagged off my home country and home city, he was an arrogant and ungracious loser, and after what he said about the though of a re-match with maidana, hell, I aint giving him anything!

I'll fight Bradley instead!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:08 pm

Made that point in an earlier thread guys. I had Khan winning the 7th but with the point deduction had it 9-9. And based on the scorecard (released by papers earlier) so did the 1st judge...well actually he had it 10-9 Khan...forgot about the point deduction so immediatly corrected it...to...10-8 Peterson!! flummoxing to say the least,

Unless of course we have missed a rule change that takes the point away from the fouling fighter and gives it the other person!

I will comment on the original question posed in the thread in a while as it is a very intriguing post, just dont have the time at this moment.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:57 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:Made that point in an earlier thread guys. I had Khan winning the 7th but with the point deduction had it 9-9. And based on the scorecard (released by papers earlier) so did the 1st judge...well actually he had it 10-9 Khan...forgot about the point deduction so immediatly corrected it...to...10-8 Peterson!! flummoxing to say the least,

Unless of course we have missed a rule change that takes the point away from the fouling fighter and gives it the other person!

I will comment on the original question posed in the thread in a while as it is a very intriguing post, just dont have the time at this moment.

Disagree there Owen it looked to me as though they had simply put the wrong score in each column. If you look on the 3rd judges as well they also had a hard time adding 10 to 64...

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:56 pm

I wasn't screaming at the TV, I was laughing at his stupidity =D

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:12 pm

Looks like Bradley is thinking along the lines of a rematch with Peterson:

http://www.boxingscene.com/bradley-lamont-forget-khan-make-more-money-here--47232

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:33 pm

Bradley cannot draw flies let alone make money in a rematch. He has a point about getting jobbed in england though. With Ian John Lewis as a judge anything can happen.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayBray Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:48 pm

I don't get it, am I being stupid? If you thought Khan won the round how can you agree with 10-8 to Peterson? Surely if Khan won the round then it would be 9-9 with the deduction?

SugarRayBray

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:59 am

Boxtthis wrote:

I've just realised that Bradley was stripped of his WBC title in July/August of this year. Some promoter troubles and some inactivity were the excuses Don Jose barely needed to gift the title to Eric Morales. Sort of takes the shine off of the premise of my All American unification theory. Is Bradley still WBO champion? It'd be a unification bout for all intents and purposes.

Either way, I do see a strong possibility of Khan being frozen out. If I was Peterson, I'd be arranging to get Morales up to Washington to grab a third belt. He'd do well financially from that fight, and I'd see him winning it. Then I'd be after Bradley. Khan has enjoyed his wee spell of dictating terms to others, and he's been pretty smug/superior about it. I can see Karma biting back here.....or maybe he'll just get GB to arrange a fight with Morales straight away and win himself a belt. That's if he can beat Morales. I mean Khan is lightening fast and he's puts on some great shows, but in terms of ring generalship Morales makes him look like a boxing IQ simpleton.

Morales gets destroyed by Khan or Peterson nowadays, absolutely no question about it.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:17 am

SugarRayBray wrote:

I don't get it, am I being stupid? If you thought Khan won the round how can you agree with 10-8 to Peterson? Surely if Khan won the round then it would be 9-9 with the deduction?

SRB, I think that's exactly what boxingfan88 was saying - he had it 9-9. He had it a Khan round. I had it 10-8, but wrote (possible Khan). I'm pretty sure that's what he was referring to/agreeing with. This all makes perfect sense to us boxing fans on an internet forum - but the whole points deduction thing seems to baffle an experienced fighter and commentator in Watt.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:32 am

AlexHuckerby wrote:
Boxtthis wrote:

Morales gets destroyed by Khan or Peterson nowadays, absolutely no question about it.

Yep, if I'm being honest I absolutely agree with this. I was still on a 'I can't believe how poor a boxing brain Khan has' rant when I wrote this. But, it probably doesn't take away from the fact that Khan is too physically gifted for an old Morales - he'd outwork him for a UD no doubt. In fact, I would be surprised if this is exactly what happens. Peterson not to give Khan his immediate rematch, fight someone else (maybe Bradley), Khan to throw a record amount of toys out of his pram, GB to set up Khan with a fight for Morales WBC belt to get him back in the mix.

As a side point, in reference to the 'why do people dislike Khan' thread, another good supporting point has been his post-fight demeanour. I mean, he's screaming robbery, but it wasn't by any means a clear cut victory for him - could've gone either way. He's screaming about hometown bias, but he arrogantly chose to be the big man and take the fight in DC. He's moaning about the ref, who, while not great in the delivery of his warnings, probably should've penalised Khan for pushing down on the neck. I like to support Khan because his fights are exciting and it's good to have a British champion, but, man, the guy makes it hard to like him.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:35 am

Yeah, to be fair, if I had lost my two titles which I dearly care for in that kind of a way I would be angry and interviewing me straight after when I hadn't had a lot of time to reflect on what had gone down then I would feel as though the world was agaisnt me and I would lash out it in the interview most likely and say some things I don't mean.

As for Morales - Khan I see Morales getting stopped and possibly quite fast.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayBray Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:53 am

Boxtthis wrote:
SugarRayBray wrote:

SRB, I think that's exactly what boxingfan88 was saying - he had it 9-9. He had it a Khan round. I had it 10-8, but wrote (possible Khan). I'm pretty sure that's what he was referring to/agreeing with. This all makes perfect sense to us boxing fans on an internet forum - but the whole points deduction thing seems to baffle an experienced fighter and commentator in Watt.

OK, I've caught up now. Sorry, I was reading this late at night. As for Watt, years ago I used to like his commentary but now he baffles me with some of the things he comes out with.

SugarRayBray

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:03 am

Fair enough, but he's still saying the same things in the cold light of day. It seems to me that he's got a spoiled brat attitude: superior/arrogant when things are going well, hard-done-by/woe-is-me when things aren't.

You get a sense that the boxing community are quite happy to see Khan brought back down to Earth and being derailed from his 'I'm at super fight level and I'm ready for Mayweather' rants.

I'll probably still support him though. Good to have as many UK belt holders as possible.

Could see Khan TKOing Morales through punch accumulation, but not early.

Bah 11am! I better get off here and get some work done!

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:15 am

Personally I just think he will get too much time to sit down on his punches and although Khan doesn't have a huge dig he can finish guys off early if he lands his best shots just don't think Morales has enough speed to keep him off of him.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:18 am

Oh, and I still love Jim Watt he's a hero with a great commentary voice, it's no contest who I want to hear if it's between him and Glenn McRory.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:20 am

Although i'm not Watts biggest fan he makes it clear that he will score it how he thinks the judges will score it, which was a 10-8 round to Peterson.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:47 am

Wasn't someone here banging on about the ten point system the other week and how this nonsense works. I scored a round 9-9 and got dug out for it.

Could be wrong.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:54 pm

Gotta be fair, he has a great commentators voice and really does make the fights exciting. However my favourite commentator is the Colonel Bob Sheridan, some of his performances have been magic.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:55 pm

I don't think the '10 point must system' was in effect for that fight tbh. Therefore you can score it 9-9, probably people who thought they knew more about boxing than they actually do...

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down