The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WBA chief has called for rematch between Peterson-Khan

+3
johnson2
Valero's Conscience
The Sweet Science UK
7 posters

Go down

WBA chief has called for rematch between Peterson-Khan Empty WBA chief has called for rematch between Peterson-Khan

Post by The Sweet Science UK Fri 06 Jan 2012, 8:10 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/16450797.stm

Well here we go. Khan's got his rematch. What's everyone's thoughts?
The Sweet Science UK
The Sweet Science UK

http://thesweetscienceuk.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

WBA chief has called for rematch between Peterson-Khan Empty Re: WBA chief has called for rematch between Peterson-Khan

Post by Valero's Conscience Fri 06 Jan 2012, 8:14 pm

Judging by recent events it appears the WBA have no option.

I guess this kills the possible Prescott fight and omits one of the talked about opponents for Manny!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

WBA chief has called for rematch between Peterson-Khan Empty Re: WBA chief has called for rematch between Peterson-Khan

Post by The Sweet Science UK Fri 06 Jan 2012, 8:20 pm

True.

Should be interesting to say the least.

Unless Khan has significantly improved (which I doubt) I think the fight outcome will be very similar.

Khan's boxing IQ just isn't there.

He complained of Peterson coming in with his head low during the fight; so instead of pushing him off why not anticipate it, take one/two steps back and throw the uppercut.
The Sweet Science UK
The Sweet Science UK

Back to top Go down

Post by johnson2 Fri 06 Jan 2012, 10:01 pm

No need for a rematch.

Khan lost and those seriously suggesting that they fixed it on the night at ringside, in front of the cameras must have a screw loose.

johnson2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 06 Jan 2012, 10:03 pm

WBA are bent.....khan is a big money maker ....end of..

forget that slime-licking disgrace of an organisation..

"They'd sell their own Mother to make a deal" and "send her c.o.d"

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 06 Jan 2012, 10:03 pm

johnson2 wrote:No need for a rematch.

Khan lost and those seriously suggesting that they fixed it on the night at ringside, in front of the cameras must have a screw loose.

Dont you think that there sould be an enquiry to clear things up?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 06 Jan 2012, 10:04 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:WBA are bent.....khan is a big money maker ....end of..

forget that slime-licking disgrace of an organisation..

"They'd sell their own Mother to make a deal" and "send her c.o.d"

They're all bloomin bent. Not just the WBA. But not only are they calling for a rematch, but also an enquiry. It could well be (more likely) that they are doing this because Hat Man is an IBF employee.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by johnson2 Fri 06 Jan 2012, 10:08 pm

azania wrote:

I'd like to know what he was doing, more than likely an angry employee who had a gripe because he wasnt involved. To suggest he rigged the card, and then the judge concerned did not shout up immediately is a bit far fetched.

johnson2

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 06 Jan 2012, 10:10 pm

johnson2 wrote:
azania wrote:

I'd like to know what he was doing, more than likely an angry employee who had a gripe because he wasnt involved. To suggest he rigged the card, and then the judge concerned did not shout up immediately is a bit far fetched.

An enquiry will sort that out.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 06 Jan 2012, 10:11 pm

Hat man is a member of the iBF....

Sounds crazy...but hey I can believe it!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 06 Jan 2012, 10:13 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Hat man is a member of the iBF....

Sounds crazy...but hey I can believe it!!!

This is boxing, where the ridiculous is the norm.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 06 Jan 2012, 10:30 pm

Think there should be a rematch based on the closeness of the fight rather than any controversy, it could have gone either way and personally had Khan winning. Pushing aside all the sour grapes from Khan for a second, he have Peterson a shot, lost a close fight so seems only natural for a return bout.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 06 Jan 2012, 10:31 pm

Agreed Ghosty.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 06 Jan 2012, 10:33 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Think there should be a rematch based on the closeness of the fight rather than any controversy, it could have gone either way and personally had Khan winning. Pushing aside all the sour grapes from Khan for a second, he have Peterson a shot, lost a close fight so seems only natural for a return bout.

Dont think it was just sour grapes otherwise GBP would not be pushing so hard. GBP have other boxers they cam make a fortune with. I genuinely believe that GBP believe something wrong happened.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 06 Jan 2012, 10:35 pm

I think it was a one off result that wouldn't be replicated, Peterson fought as well as he could while Khan was very poor, I see comfortable points victory for Khan or even a knockout as he'll want to make sure second time around.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 06 Jan 2012, 10:37 pm

azania wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:Think there should be a rematch based on the closeness of the fight rather than any controversy, it could have gone either way and personally had Khan winning. Pushing aside all the sour grapes from Khan for a second, he have Peterson a shot, lost a close fight so seems only natural for a return bout.

Dont think it was just sour grapes otherwise GBP would not be pushing so hard. GBP have other boxers they cam make a fortune with. I genuinely believe that GBP believe something wrong happened.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with either the scoring or the refereeing so it is perceived to be sour grapes from Khan.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 06 Jan 2012, 10:42 pm

Absolutely.......Contentious....not controversial!!!!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Fri 06 Jan 2012, 10:46 pm

Peterson should vacate the WBA belt and Maidana would become the Super Champion. Then we will see how bad Khan wants that belt back haha
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 06 Jan 2012, 10:49 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:
azania wrote:

There was absolutely nothing wrong with either the scoring or the refereeing so it is perceived to be sour grapes from Khan.

That's your opinion. And I more or less agree with it. But as Shaefer said, "where there's smoke, there usually fire". GBP believe they are on to something hence their big push for this enquiry after their initial complaint was rejected. I dont believe they'd be doing it otherwise. I'll even go as far as state that Khan is an irrelevance in all this. They are not on some moral crusade either, but I believe they think something shouldn't have happened behind the scenes.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 06 Jan 2012, 10:51 pm

Sigh!!! Its all about punishing Khan for some here. This is not just sports news anymore.

And one last time, its not about the decision either. Shaefer is calling for the fight to be changed to a no contest.

If Peterson vacates the belt to avoid Khan, he will devalue himself and his team will be seen as ducking Khan.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 06 Jan 2012, 10:53 pm

GBP can make good money with other fighters but they can't make Mayweather money with them, people overlook quite how much money that can earn through Khan, far more than they can with anyone else.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 06 Jan 2012, 10:59 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:GBP can make good money with other fighters but they can't make Mayweather money with them, people overlook quite how much money that can earn through Khan, far more than they can with anyone else.
Khan is a work in progress for GBP. They've invested a lot in him. Likewise they invested a lot in Ortiz and now Alvarez. I still think this is more than that otherwise they would have accepted the first appeal result. Immediately when that result was given, they appealed immediately. Most would have stopped right there, but they didn't. I wonder why.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 06 Jan 2012, 11:02 pm

All roads lead to Mayweather, Ortiz, Alvarez and Khan were all heading in the same direction Floyd Mayweather.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 06 Jan 2012, 11:13 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:All roads lead to Mayweather, Ortiz, Alvarez and Khan were all heading in the same direction Floyd Mayweather.

A Mayweather fight would have been 18 months away (or 3 Khan fights). Unknown if Floyd would still be active. Anyway, its now a dead duck after the performance he put on against Peterson. No one in their right mind can imagine Khan beat Floyd even if Floyd is on a zimmeframe.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sweet Science UK Sat 07 Jan 2012, 12:55 am

Imperial Ghosty wrote:I think it was a one off result that wouldn't be replicated, Peterson fought as well as he could while Khan was very poor, I see comfortable points victory for Khan or even a knockout as he'll want to make sure second time around.

Really?

Khan can't deal with pressure, cannot fight on the inside and doesn't have the boxing IQ to adapt during a fight and make the right adjustments.

Unless Khan has significantly improved (which I doubt) I don't see anything being comfortable for him.

But on that note I thought the first time I watched it Khan won by a round but haven't watched it back since.
The Sweet Science UK
The Sweet Science UK

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down