The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Khan vs Peterson - WBA order immediate rematch

+30
milkyboy
tunes666
Imperial Ghosty
Lance
Demon Racer
Waingro
lightsout
oxring
ONETWOFOREVER
The genius of PBF
Mind the windows Tino.
HumanWindmill
KingMonkey
TopHat24/7
Rowley
johnson2
Steffan
BoxingFan88
two_tone
huw
The Galveston Giant
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
AlexHuckerby
azania
manos de piedra
ShahenshahG
lovely_london
hampo17
Union Cane
Valero's Conscience
34 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Khan vs Peterson - WBA order immediate rematch Empty Khan vs Peterson - WBA order immediate rematch

Post by Valero's Conscience Fri 13 Jan 2012, 10:19 am

IBF meeting next week to decide on the matter.

Question, if IBF don't order immediate rematch do you think Peterson will only put WBA belt on the line as a safety measure so that if he loses he still retains a title?

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Khan vs Peterson - WBA order immediate rematch Empty Re: Khan vs Peterson - WBA order immediate rematch

Post by Union Cane Fri 13 Jan 2012, 10:22 am

Even if the IBF also order a re-match, I think Peterson will ditch both belts and take the Pacquiao fight.

There's no value for him in re-matching Khan.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Khan vs Peterson - WBA order immediate rematch Empty Re: Khan vs Peterson - WBA order immediate rematch

Post by hampo17 Fri 13 Jan 2012, 10:23 am

I don't see Peterson as the type of guy who would ditch the belts, it would make it seem that he believes he got lucky in the first fight and would get beaten this time.

Obviously something big enough has happened for the rematch to be ordered.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lovely_london Fri 13 Jan 2012, 11:32 am

hampo171 wrote:I don't see Peterson as the type of guy who would ditch the belts, it would make it seem that he believes he got lucky in the first fight and would get beaten this time.

Obviously something big enough has happened for the rematch to be ordered.

Far as I´m aware it is Khan who said the rematch has been ordered.

Anyway I think Peterson would ditch the belts and fight someone else. It´s not about him thinking he got lucky it´s about the fact Khan is trying to ORDEr him to have a rematch.

lovely_london

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 13 Jan 2012, 11:34 am

Doesnt matter - he will be tarred with the coward brush. Unfair but thats the way it is

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Fri 13 Jan 2012, 11:42 am

ShahenshahG wrote:Doesnt matter - he will be tarred with the coward brush. Unfair but thats the way it is

This is true, regardless of all the facts, for Peterson to win a very close fight with known controversies, one of the organisations to order a rematch and then to vacate will not look good.

He should just demand 50/50, he would of got no where near that amount so he will earn big for a rematch.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri 13 Jan 2012, 11:50 am

A rematch with Khan would sell well. The first fight was exciting and the controversy has only added to the value of a rematch I think.

Petersons value and financial power without the belts would be greatly diminished aswell. As a champion he can call shots to a large degree but if he drops the belts then where does that leave him?

Aside from Pacquiao, Khan probably remains his most financially lucrative opponent. I can understand that Khans behaviour would annoy him on a personal level but its business first in boxing and if Khan fronts up the money and the alternative is being stripped then I think Peterson would take the rematch.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Jan 2012, 12:01 pm

No value in re-matching Khan, Union? Have a word lad. It wasn't as if he won it widely on the cards. Without the deductions, Khan wins.

Makes sense to rematch and see whether or not A/ Khan can adapt to Petersen's pressure and B/ Petersen can win without the benefit of his opponent having points taken.

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 13 Jan 2012, 12:12 pm

What I mean is that if Peterson re-matches Khan, he loses.

If he vacates and then fights Pacquiao, he'll end up in exactly the same position but with much heavier pockets.

Given his back story and everything, the film script is already in the can : street kid to world champion etc etc, but it's all about the money rather than the titles from now on, and it could even be both what with Pacquiao being on the slide.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 13 Jan 2012, 12:15 pm

Union Cane wrote:What I mean is that if Peterson re-matches Khan, he loses.
If he vacates and then fights Pacquiao, he'll end up in exactly the same position but with much heavier pockets.

Given his back story and everything, the film script is already in the can : street kid to world champion etc etc, but it's all about the money rather than the titles from now on, and it could even be both what with Pacquiao being on the slide.

I'm not too sure about that. From R2 onwards, peterson was pretty much the better fighter. He adapted whereas Khan couldn't. It looks as though Peterson has more to his game and is a more varied fighter than Khan. Unless Khan develops the ability to keep off pressure fighters, he will lose again. This time more convincingly.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 13 Jan 2012, 12:19 pm

Khan will beat him second time around, almost certain of that.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Fri 13 Jan 2012, 12:36 pm

If Khan won the rematch by a close decision like Peterson did, there is no way he would give Peterson a rematch. We seen the "why should I give him a rematch, I won" after the Maidana fight.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 13 Jan 2012, 12:40 pm

It will be about 117-111 me thinks in the rematch.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 13 Jan 2012, 12:41 pm

If khan wasn't with such a big promoter he wouldn't have got anywhere with this.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Fri 13 Jan 2012, 1:12 pm

Would be interesting to see Peterson's stipulations, perhaps he will have some of the ones Khan should have had.

Rematch clause (why Khans team didn't do this as standard is anyones guess). His choice of Ref, his choice of venue, smaller ring.

Obviously even if a rematch is ordered as champion he should be able to dictate most of this.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 13 Jan 2012, 1:29 pm

I imagine it will be set with the mandatory rules as it's a mandatory rematch, then again I've no idea what goes on behind closed doors.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Fri 13 Jan 2012, 1:38 pm

Khan should quit being a boo baby and take the loss on the chin, was close could have gone either way but for him to be claiming no contest is a joke, have a rematch and see if you can do a better job this time. Good point made earlier about Maidana as well, he demanded a rematch and got told no chance, yet Khan seems to think he is entitled to one and is clutching at any straw possible to get what he wants. Fell sorry for Peterson whatever happens his win will always be questioned now through no fault of his own.

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 13 Jan 2012, 2:14 pm

If he only puts the WBA on the line, surely the IBF goes vacant if he loses?

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 13 Jan 2012, 2:14 pm

Khan should take the loss, I thought he won but I can't complain he was in DC. No contest is utter rubbish, you can't do that to Peterson who fought fair. Loss won't affect him if he wins in the rematch.

Get a rematch and prove he is the better fighter, talk is cheap.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 13 Jan 2012, 2:19 pm

Lets all hate Khan for

1) Having a good promoter
2) Being high profile
3) Lost in a hometown decision
4) Complained about the loss
5) WBA ordering a rematch

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 13 Jan 2012, 2:21 pm

Khan will bust him up this time. Khan late TKO

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Fri 13 Jan 2012, 2:21 pm

azania wrote:Lets all hate Khan for

2) Being high profile

Why feel the need to be so arrogant Az?

People are peed off with the fact that they tried to overturn a close result. That would spell disaster for the future with appeals being set up left right and centre.

Come on now, your better than this! Wink
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 13 Jan 2012, 2:30 pm

Khan still gets far too much hate though on this messageboard. I know everyone loves to slate the fighters from the Isles on here but Khan seems to get it the worse fair do

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 13 Jan 2012, 2:39 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:

2) Being high profile

People are peed off with the fact that they tried to overturn a close result. That would spell disaster for the future with appeals being set up left right and centre.

I have hardly seen such vitriol directed at a british boxer before. The cricicism he gets is way out there somewhere. Much of it unwarranted and uncalled for in my opinion. And yes I can dish out to certain boxers, but I leave it mainly to their boxing ability (Patterson being the exception). GBP set the ball in motion. Khan is not a big enough name to tell them where to go. More importantly, GBP (or any promoter) are not likely to throw away money appealing against a close decision unless there's something going on).

You still seem to be under the impression that the appeal is due to the closeness of the decision. In that case, you are wrong. If that were the case, their initial appeal which was dismissed after 3 days would have resolved everything. No smoke without fire. And not once has Khan criticised Peterson or said that the title should be taken away. Schaefer said so. When Khan was asked, he said he wanted a rematch.

As for my opinion, I hope the appeal is dismissed. I dont like it one bit. But I'm not going to blame Khan for it or for him complaining that he was robbed. All boxers since the first one decided to wear gloves and foght for money have complained about being shafted. Archie Moore to his dying days never forgave the ref who made a poor call in the Rocky fight.

But I reckon much good for Khan and Peterson will come out of it. Both will get career high paydays in their rematch as the controversy has elevated their status. That I believe is why the nonsense is being kept alive. Cheap promo by GBP.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by johnson2 Fri 13 Jan 2012, 2:42 pm

2) Being high profile

Na, he's not.

johnson2

Back to top Go down

Post by lovely_london Fri 13 Jan 2012, 2:43 pm

Steffan wrote:Khan still gets far too much hate though on this messageboard. I know everyone loves to slate the fighters from the Isles on here but Khan seems to get it the worse fair do

But in fairness he is the most supported fighter In Britain now. He may get a lot ofstick but he is t
he most famous boxer in the UK now.

lovely_london

Back to top Go down

Post by johnson2 Fri 13 Jan 2012, 2:44 pm

2) Being high profile

1) A good promoter would tell him to knuckle down and earn a rematch
2) Being high profile makes his mistakes more public, own silly fault
3) Close fight, no hometown decision. Silly to suggest otherwise. Suppose you think Sturm got hometown decisions in his last 2?
4) It is the way he complained. Whinging on like a child. Lost a close fight, get over it.
5) WBA are only ordering because Khan brings in the $$$. If it was the other way round then this never would happen.

johnson2

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 13 Jan 2012, 2:46 pm

johnson2 wrote:

2) Being high profile

Na, he's not.

boxing

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 13 Jan 2012, 2:50 pm

He did not complain about the loss, he appealed, it is a distinction worth making.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 13 Jan 2012, 2:56 pm

rowley wrote:He did not complain about the loss, he appealed, it is a distinction worth making.

Of course. I can just see it now. After the fight Khan steams into GBP's offices and demands to speak to Schaefer and Oscar. He bangs on the desk demanding they appeal. And when the initial appeal was thrown out, Khan got on the phone demanding that they put in a second appeal (at GBP's expense no less).

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 13 Jan 2012, 2:59 pm

Nobody has said he ordered it or indeed instigated it but lets not go through this again he is 100% supportive of it every interview, twitter feed and article about us tells us this is the case. He is long past the point where his actions are heat of the moment frustrations and thus far he has not done the slightest thing to distance himself from what is a ridiculous appeal.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 13 Jan 2012, 3:07 pm

He didn't appeal the decision. GBP did. And of course he would be supportive of it. He's promoted by the world's largest promotional company and is being groomed for superstardom. Do you believe he would distance himself from it? He cant even if he wanted to.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 13 Jan 2012, 3:11 pm

Curse this modern day slavery! Bet all those African slaves of past centuries are really shedding a tear for the terrible suffering of these millionaire boxers, forced to dance to the tune of their promoter masters.

If only there was another way.........

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 13 Jan 2012, 3:14 pm

Course he can, Tyson looked uncomfortable when King started with his long count drivel in Toyko. Appreciate you feel people are being harsher on Khan than he deserves on here but feel free to check my posting history, pre this farce I was often supporting him on here and defending both his record and unfortunate habit of saying stupid things but I'm sorry this appeal is shameful and he emerges from it with zero credit for me, and even if he can't distance himself from it there is a world of difference between not distancing yourself from it and posting videos and photos or men on grassy knolls on your twitter page.

Even if there has been foul play, which a) there almost certainly hasn't and b) almost certainly would not be proved, it will not change what we all saw with our own eyes which was a close fight that could have gone either way. Given this what is the point of an appeal, he was always going to get a rematch as it will sell and the only way Petersen earns better money is in the division above so would have seen him dump the belts anyway.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Fri 13 Jan 2012, 3:15 pm

Not sure what is more tiresome. This load of old rubbish or Floyd vs Pac.

This is dull though, no matter how you look at it and it's Khan's chattering unqualified masses fuelling the fire as always. I have tried to like Khan, I really, really have but I can't be bothered anymore. I hope gets his hands caught in some heavy machinery or something just so all this goes away.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 13 Jan 2012, 3:16 pm

KingMonkey wrote:I hope gets his hands caught in some heavy machinery or something just so all this goes away.

You sound like a lovely person fair do...

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri 13 Jan 2012, 3:19 pm

You beat me to it Steffan. Recent comments on here are very personal, calling Matthew Hatton trash and now someone else saying he hopes Khan gets his hands stuck in heavy machinery.

Never saw comments like this back on 606 and makes you wonder about the mental stability of some posters.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Fri 13 Jan 2012, 3:22 pm

I also agree.

I appreciate that Khan can raise heckles but I really think we need to set the personal stuff aside.

No harm done, yet, but if we're not careful it could head that way.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 13 Jan 2012, 3:24 pm

KingMonkey wrote:I hope gets his hands caught in some heavy machinery or something just so all this goes away.

Didn't do Howard Winstone any harm.

Which reminds me, still haven't watched that film.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 13 Jan 2012, 3:25 pm

Neither have I union, started watching it but saw Shane Ritchie on the credits and lost interest, and indeed the will to live, will have to try again though.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Fri 13 Jan 2012, 3:27 pm

Good grief, stop being so precious. Mental stabilty?? Do me a lemon.

It's not personal, it's a nonesensical, enormous exaggeration at best.

It's as though there are people on the net waiting to leap on the very moment someone steps out of line. I just want this to go away, ok? I don't care if Khan gets mangled, Saj23 gets mown down by a bus, Mystery Man turns out to be Jimmy Lennon Jnr or if Golden Boy files for admin.

It's tiresome, boring and ultimately not about boxing.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri 13 Jan 2012, 3:34 pm

Just because you find it tiresome it's ok for someone to get hit by a bus or in fact harmed in anyway? Dear me, I haven't seen posts like that since D4 was around.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 13 Jan 2012, 3:35 pm

rowley wrote:Neither have I union, started watching it but saw Shane Ritchie on the credits and lost interest, and indeed the will to live, will have to try again though.

Says the world's biggest Danny Dyer fan? You're full of contradictions, jeff.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Fri 13 Jan 2012, 3:38 pm

Wow, Hampo, you appear to have picked whatever you like from my post and get all wound up about it.

Mind the roads on the way home though, f'sure.

Whistle

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 13 Jan 2012, 3:45 pm

rowley wrote:Course he can, Tyson looked uncomfortable when King started with his long count drivel in Toyko. Appreciate you feel people are being harsher on Khan than he deserves on here but feel free to check my posting history, pre this farce I was often supporting him on here and defending both his record and unfortunate habit of saying stupid things but I'm sorry this appeal is shameful and he emerges from it with zero credit for me, and even if he can't distance himself from it there is a world of difference between not distancing yourself from it and posting videos and photos or men on grassy knolls on your twitter page.

Even if there has been foul play, which a) there almost certainly hasn't and b) almost certainly would not be proved, it will not change what we all saw with our own eyes which was a close fight that could have gone either way. Given this what is the point of an appeal, he was always going to get a rematch as it will sell and the only way Petersen earns better money is in the division above so would have seen him dump the belts anyway.

There's a little difference between this and Tyson. Tyson was knocked out. And this isn't about just the scoring also. Close fights which go against one fighter is widely accepted as part and parcel of boxing. Sh.t happens in scoring and there's sod all anyone can or sould do about it. Its not even about the strange decision by the ref.

I'm no expert on body language or how a fighter should behave after he feels that he was robbed. But Khan is no different from any other boxer in this regard. Boxers are selfish people. They only see the punches they land and see when their opponent misses.

Look at my posting history also. I do not support this appeal. But I will not blame Khan for going with it either. It keeps his name in the headlines. I just wish people will see the boxing business for what it is...the most corrupt business on earth bar none. Where the lions are scared of the rats as Holmes put it.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 13 Jan 2012, 3:49 pm

KingMonkey wrote:Not sure what is more tiresome. This load of old rubbish or Floyd vs Pac.

This is dull though, no matter how you look at it and it's Khan's chattering unqualified masses fuelling the fire as always. I have tried to like Khan, I really, really have but I can't be bothered anymore. I hope gets his hands caught in some heavy machinery or something just so all this goes away.

So dont comment on it if you find it so boring. I mean I find talking about pre 1910 boxing very boring so I never post on those subjects Whistle

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 13 Jan 2012, 3:50 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
rowley wrote:Neither have I union, started watching it but saw Shane Ritchie on the credits and lost interest, and indeed the will to live, will have to try again though.

Says the world's biggest Danny Dyer fan? You're full of contradictions, jeff.

Don't mug Dyer off Tina, i've warned you about this before you'll end up getting striped.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri 13 Jan 2012, 3:50 pm

KingMonkey wrote:Wow, Hampo, you appear to have picked whatever you like from my post and get all wound up about it.

Mind the roads on the way home though, f'sure.

Whistle

No not at all mate, just don't see the need for comments like that dude. In all the years I've been involved with 606 I've never had an arguement with anyone.

I'll make sure my helper assists me with the roads though Wink

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Fri 13 Jan 2012, 4:22 pm

Never seen Khan make adjustments...The fight will be close again.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri 13 Jan 2012, 4:31 pm

Peterson can improve his game but he is not a big puncher. If the fight is close again they will give it to Khan.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next