The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Khan vs Peterson - WBA order immediate rematch

+30
milkyboy
tunes666
Imperial Ghosty
Lance
Demon Racer
Waingro
lightsout
oxring
ONETWOFOREVER
The genius of PBF
Mind the windows Tino.
HumanWindmill
KingMonkey
TopHat24/7
Rowley
johnson2
Steffan
BoxingFan88
two_tone
huw
The Galveston Giant
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
AlexHuckerby
azania
manos de piedra
ShahenshahG
lovely_london
hampo17
Union Cane
Valero's Conscience
34 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Khan vs Peterson - WBA order immediate rematch - Page 2 Empty Khan vs Peterson - WBA order immediate rematch

Post by Valero's Conscience Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:19 am

First topic message reminder :

IBF meeting next week to decide on the matter.

Question, if IBF don't order immediate rematch do you think Peterson will only put WBA belt on the line as a safety measure so that if he loses he still retains a title?

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Khan vs Peterson - WBA order immediate rematch - Page 2 Empty Re: Khan vs Peterson - WBA order immediate rematch

Post by oxring Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:38 am

azania wrote:So dont comment on it if you find it so boring. I mean I find talking about pre 1910 boxing very boring so I never post on those subjects Whistle

The year is retreating. You wrote off Joe Louis before Windy first got hold of you.

We'll make a sensible fellow of you yet Az.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Khan vs Peterson - WBA order immediate rematch - Page 2 Empty Re: Khan vs Peterson - WBA order immediate rematch

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:32 am

rowley wrote:Neither have I union, started watching it but saw Shane Ritchie on the credits and lost interest, and indeed the will to live, will have to try again though.

I watched it it was alright, nothing special though.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:42 am

oxring wrote:
azania wrote:So dont comment on it if you find it so boring. I mean I find talking about pre 1910 boxing very boring so I never post on those subjects Whistle

The year is retreating. You wrote off Joe Louis before Windy first got hold of you.

We'll make a sensible fellow of you yet Az.

Impossible.

Oh hang on.......! Erm

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:27 am

The genius of PBF wrote:Never seen Khan make adjustments...The fight will be close again.

I'd back Peterson to win.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:29 am

Does this decision by the WBA for a rematch have precedence? They are ordering the rematch because of "questionable" decisions by the referee and possible interference with the judges.

Perhaps for the money men it would be best that the IBF uphold the win decision, such that Peterson could keep the IBF belt and relinquish the WBA belt.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:34 am

Nore Staat wrote:Does this decision by the WBA for a rematch have precedence? They are ordering the rematch because of "questionable" decisions by the referee and possible interference with the judges.

Perhaps for the money men it would be best that the IBF uphold the win decision, such that Peterson could keep the IBF belt and relinquish the WBA belt.

The WBA ordered a rematch simply because the fight will gross a lot of money and that means more sanctioning fees. Them trying to act honourably is like asking Tyson to be a judge in a beauty contest.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:42 am

Its basically a big time promoter pressurizing a weak sanctioning body into a rematch by deflecting attention away from what happened in the ring to a minor, and seemingly irrelevant anomaly.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by lightsout Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:06 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:Peterson can improve his game but he is not a big puncher. If the fight is close again they will give it to Khan.

Well said that man, the arrogance of Khan is boundless, he's bigging himself up to beat PBF but has had to take two batterings against maidana and now peterson, he lost the maidana fight if not on points the fight should have been stopped as he took punishment for over a minute and half with replying once....as his Dad said 'at least we know my son can take a punch now' or maybe even several hundred power punches in the same fight would be more accurate....world class.....great attitude after the peterson fight as well ......priceless.......makes me feel for his fans as they're left with having to blindly come up with multiple explanations and reasonings for what is Khan's total lack of class while under pressure in the fight and the loss that came as a result of his poor performace and then all the excuses afterwards..........Khan you need to retire you've reached your limits now or do the intelligent thing and step back into the ring so we can all watch you get battered again.....I'll be watching.

lightsout

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:17 pm

I am glad the WBA have done the right thing and ordered a rematch hopefully the IBF will do the same. They need to make sure the fight is in a neutral venue this time. I think Khan will win the rematch if it is in a neutral venue they need to avoid washington. If Khan wins he should fight Bradley or Brook but if he loses he should think about retiring he has said he wants to retire in three years so if he lost that could be the end of his career.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:20 pm

What do people think the chances are of there being a rematch clause in this bout? A best of three rubber if you will, exercisable only by the loser of course.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:23 pm

If Khan wins I do not think there should be a rematch why should Khan fight Peterson again after he got lucky in washington. I think Khan will show that the decision in washington was a hometown decision and beat Peterson quite easily so there will be no need for another rematch. Khan should fight Brook or Bradley after not give Peterson a rematch if he wins.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:24 pm

lightsout wrote:
ONETWOFOREVER wrote:Peterson can improve his game but he is not a big puncher. If the fight is close again they will give it to Khan.

Well said that man, the arrogance of Khan is boundless, he's bigging himself up to beat PBF but has had to take two batterings against maidana and now peterson, he lost the maidana fight if not on points the fight should have been stopped as he took punishment for over a minute and half with replying once....as his Dad said 'at least we know my son can take a punch now' or maybe even several hundred power punches in the same fight would be more accurate....world class.....great attitude after the peterson fight as well ......priceless.......makes me feel for his fans as they're left with having to blindly come up with multiple explanations and reasonings for what is Khan's total lack of class while under pressure in the fight and the loss that came as a result of his poor performace and then all the excuses afterwards..........Khan you need to retire you've reached your limits now or do the intelligent thing and step back into the ring so we can all watch you get battered again.....I'll be watching.

Fascinating in its sheer stupidity. Let me see. He wants to fight Floyd. So he is arrogant. I look at that as ambitious and credit to him (or any other combat sportsman who wants to challenge the best).

He "lost" the Maidana fight? Unbelievable. That he stood up to those punches and came firing back at the end proves without a shadow of a doubt that the ref called it right.

His Dad was absolutely correct. And you prove him correct by saying that he took several power punches and never went down. Great chin. Amazing chin in fact. Brilliant and well said Lightsout for giving Khan credit for the sturdyness of his chin.

Tell me a boxer who doesn't complain after being on the wrong end of a close decision. They moan forever. Some even state it in their autobiography.

Why should he retire? He'll pick up another $2m Big Ones for his next fight. Should he win, the sky's the limit. And if he fights Floyd.....sheesh, he will hit the jackpot in terms of money.

I bet Khan will be happy you will watch hoping to see him lose. You're paying him. Enjoy. I'm sure Khan will enjoy spending the money you're going to give him...hoping to see him lose.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:25 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:What do people think the chances are of there being a rematch clause in this bout? A best of three rubber if you will, exercisable only by the loser of course.

A rematch clause would be useless if either boxer wins comfortably.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon Racer Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:48 pm

If I was Petersen, Khan's terrible behavior has ruined a once in a lifetime performance. If the IBF uphold the original decision, and do not demand a rematch, I would ditch the WBA belt without hesitation.

If Petersen wants to beat Khan again, I'd name my terms as rematch will be in DC. Take it or leave it.

Demon Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:46 pm

Demon Racer wrote:If I was Petersen, Khan's terrible behavior has ruined a once in a lifetime performance. If the IBF uphold the original decision, and do not demand a rematch, I would ditch the WBA belt without hesitation.

If Petersen wants to beat Khan again, I'd name my terms as rematch will be in DC. Take it or leave it.

And if Khan says no, Peterson loses a big payday against a fighter he can beat. A rematch is Peterson's best option. If he dumps the belt, he'd be seen as a ducker and his purses will reflect that. You seem to believe that Peterson is a 'name'. He isn't without Khan.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by lightsout Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:18 pm

azania wrote:
lightsout wrote:

Fascinating in its sheer stupidity. Let me see. He wants to fight Floyd. So he is arrogant. I look at that as ambitious and credit to him (or any other combat sportsman who wants to challenge the best).

He "lost" the Maidana fight? Unbelievable. That he stood up to those punches and came firing back at the end proves without a shadow of a doubt that the ref called it right.

His Dad was absolutely correct. And you prove him correct by saying that he took several power punches and never went down. Great chin. Amazing chin in fact. Brilliant and well said Lightsout for giving Khan credit for the sturdyness of his chin.

Tell me a boxer who doesn't complain after being on the wrong end of a close decision. They moan forever. Some even state it in their autobiography.

Why should he retire? He'll pick up another $2m Big Ones for his next fight. Should he win, the sky's the limit. And if he fights Floyd.....sheesh, he will hit the jackpot in terms of money.

I bet Khan will be happy you will watch hoping to see him lose. You're paying him. Enjoy. I'm sure Khan will enjoy spending the money you're going to give him...hoping to see him lose.

errrrrrrrrrr so you think watching your man Khan getting battered without replying is a good thing and proves he's a great fighter and that the ref was right to let the fight go on.......what would have happened if Khan had gone down and died in the ring as has happened on so many ocassions with the ref looking on...... the ref has a duty of care to every fighter that gets in the ring and Khan was left to take some power punches from one of the hardest hitters at the weight with out protecting himself and you think that's a good thing.......... infact you say 'brilliant' .........I think you need to question why you're watching the sport......when have you ever seen PBF get himself into such a total mess that he's just stumbling around the ring praying for the bell to sound?????? Khan had his back to Maidana on so many occasions ........anyway.........what was I saying about his fans coming up with crazy explanations in my first comment .......job done.......and you really think that I stay up and pay the PPV for a Khan fight ........ afraid not.

lightsout

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:44 pm

My man Khan? Read the thread before coming on with silly remarks first please. The fact is that not only did he survive the round, he was coming on strong in the final 30 seconds of that round and won the following round. Why do you want fights to end prematurely. His eyes were not glazed to indicate the fighter had nothing there. His legs went walkabout but he regrouped and won. Wonderful display of survival.. He copied Holmes and Hearnes there.

The fact that he didn't go down renders that argument pointless.

The difference is that my point is sypported by 99.9% of boxing fans. Even Khan haters. Yours is supported by the blindly delusional Khan haters.

I've never seen PBF get into that state. That's because he's the best boxer around now. I#ve seen Hearns, Holmes (heard of them) Hatton and many more hold on for dear life (like he's my wife as Hearns said) and come nack to win. Mark of a great boxer and champion to conquer adversity and prevail dont you think?

You said:

Khan you need to retire you've reached your limits now or do the intelligent thing and step back into the ring so we can all watch you get battered again.....I'll be watching.

Even if you watch it in a pub and buy drinks, you'll be paying Khan. If you dont buy drinks, you may get thrown out of the pub my friend.....so buy a round for your mates and give Khan more money.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by lightsout Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:49 pm

azania wrote:
Demon Racer wrote:If I was Petersen, Khan's terrible behavior has ruined a once in a lifetime performance. If the IBF uphold the original decision, and do not demand a rematch, I would ditch the WBA belt without hesitation.

And if Khan says no, Peterson loses a big payday against a fighter he can beat. A rematch is Peterson's best option. If he dumps the belt, he'd be seen as a ducker and his purses will reflect that. You seem to believe that Peterson is a 'name'. He isn't without Khan.

I think you've got that the wrong way round somehow, Khan's nothing at the moment.......no belts and only the hope of a rematch......what's he got to play with???? you tell me ???? Peterson can name the purse split the venue etc etc etc and Khan has to either except it or do what ....where's his next fight...... who wants to fight a man with nothing to offer....I suppose he can fight for the vacant WBA but it won't be against Peterson ....he'll be fighting Manny for mega bucks soon ......what's he want with Khan....are how the tables turn ehh look where Khan was last year offering Peterson chicken feed to come over to the U.K and fight.....clever move to have to in the end goto D.C and fight a man in his own back yard....clever stuff.

lightsout

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:50 pm

i think peterson won the fight fairly, but it was close and i have no problem with khan getting his rematch. but it will be a tough fight for amir and with the odds ive seen about i think peterson might be good value

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by lightsout Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:28 pm

lightsout wrote:
azania wrote:
lightsout wrote:

errrrrrrrrrr so you think watching your man Khan getting battered without replying is a good thing and proves he's a great fighter and that the ref was right to let the fight go on.......what would have happened if Khan had gone down and died in the ring as has happened on so many ocassions with the ref looking on...... the ref has a duty of care to every fighter that gets in the ring and Khan was left to take some power punches from one of the hardest hitters at the weight with out protecting himself and you think that's a good thing.......... infact you say 'brilliant' .........I think you need to question why you're watching the sport......when have you ever seen PBF get himself into such a total mess that he's just stumbling around the ring praying for the bell to sound?????? Khan had his back to Maidana on so many occasions ........anyway.........what was I saying about his fans coming up with crazy explanations in my first comment .......job done.......and you really think that I stay up and pay the PPV for a Khan fight ........ afraid not.

O.K so you now admit that PBF and Khan are in different leagues, now we're getting somewhere, I'm never going to get a Khan fanatic such as yourself to look at Khan's recent performances as anything but as you say 'brilliant' ....... do you really think the majority of boxing experts and fans think the same?????

And ohh yes and to take you up on the point you so cleverly raise about 'Hearns' have you seen him recently????, now that is an advert for not out staying your welcome in the top flight and getting out while you can still string sentences together in a timely fashion not realllllllllllllllllllly slowllllllllllllly like Hearns can only manage now, that is called brain damage and not as you like to put it..................'Mark of a great boxer and champion to conquer adversity and prevail dont you think?' .....................no, no, no that's just plain and simply years and years of going round with brain damage in retirement because you had your brain smashed around inside the skull so many times it swelled up and as a result you cannot function as a 100% person anymore due to the resulting damage caused by taking punches while not protecting yourself properly, you really do have a problem with your view on boxing as a sport............... taking lots and lots of damage and then coming back from it does not make you a great boxer or as you say 'brilliant' it just makes you a cabbage.........understand...............why........... because the damage has already been done that's why and it doesn't matter if you come back and win you put yourself at serious risk because the ref didn't protect you and then you take the damage away with you to your next fight because the damage accumulates over time.........and when you cannot think straight and have to slow right down to beable to talk it's actually too late......the art of boxing and that is what I love to watch........ the art of it is to beable to land punches on your opponent and not receive any in return....have you anymore really clever comments to make?????

lightsout

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:34 pm

What is with the full stops?
Do they not teach kids how to write proper sentences nowadays?

Not a chance in hell should the fight against Maidana have been stopped and you should possibly watch any Hearns interview from early on in his career, he's always talked like that.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:40 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:What is with the full stops?
Do they not teach kids how to write proper sentences nowadays?

I agree with you on that one IG.......................................... It is a bit weird reading a post with all those dots on...........................................

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:42 pm

Makes it so difficult to read but maybe that's the point, covering up what is actually written.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:11 am

DAVE667 wrote:No value in re-matching Khan, Union? Have a word lad. It wasn't as if he won it widely on the cards. Without the deductions, Khan wins.

Makes sense to rematch and see whether or not A/ Khan can adapt to Petersen's pressure and B/ Petersen can win without the benefit of his opponent having points taken.

Or see if Peterson benefits from Khan not being permitted to push him and away all night long and hold his head down because he cant fight on the inside...
If Khan did not push him away and hold his head down, Peterson would have landed more, this is why points are taken away.

Last edited by tunes666 on Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:26 am; edited 1 time in total

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:25 am

So for me this is proof Golden Boy and Khan think they are bigger than boxing.

A close call and so far no evidence whats so ever of foul play apart from speculation and lots of press..

They are trying to bully Peterson into a rematch.. If I was Peterson I would put out a big statement saying he is going to fight this and that he should be permitted to arrange his fights as a champ should.

Maybe he should ditch the WBO belt and offer that Maidana gets a rematch with Khan seeing as Khan did not rush into giving him a rematch?

Even though Khan was holding him all night and Maidana got a point taken away from reacting to that...? and Maidana had a argument that he won that fight... He also did not give Barrera a rematch when he lost unfairly... and even McCloskey for that matter..

This opens a big Can of Worms...

Unless the WBO has proper evidence then its a sign that Golden Boy are dictating the sport and are there for the real problem...

If the IBF do not bend for GB, then he should throw away the WBO belt announcing that they wont be bullied by GB and Khan can fight another contender for it.. and then do what he likes and offer Khan a rematch when its no their terms as that's what happens when you are champ.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:07 am

Do think there's a big big difference between the Maidana, McCloskey and Barrera fights to the Peterson one, in the first three there was only ever going to be one legitimate winner and he won, against Peterson he could have got the decision.

Maidana had no argument for winning their fight, he did very well in one round which was preceded by round after round of Khan dominance. The Khan and Peterson fight was very close and could have gone both ways, combined with the technically correct but strange points deductions a rematch seems logical but can't say I agree with how they have gone about it.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:58 am

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Do think there's a big big difference between the Maidana, McCloskey and Barrera fights to the Peterson one, in the first three there was only ever going to be one legitimate winner and he won, against Peterson he could have got the decision.

Maidana had no argument for winning their fight, he did very well in one round which was preceded by round after round of Khan dominance. The Khan and Peterson fight was very close and could have gone both ways, combined with the technically correct but strange points deductions a rematch seems logical but can't say I agree with how they have gone about it.

khan barrera was a disgrace, should definately be a no contest. not saying it was khans fault but the doctor clealy knew what he was doing. not the first time ive seen a doctor do a warren fighter a huge favour though.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:01 am

I agree but a fight with Barrera meant little at that point anyway so a rematch was never going to be a realistic possibility.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:32 am

azania wrote:

In my eyes if Khan turns down a rematch he will be seen as a ducker even if the terms state the fights in DC. They were Khans terms last time and he decided to fight there. He's not in the driving seat now so the silly demands people have stated in the past about dealing with him would have to stop, but that's not going to happen. Peterson became a name by beating Khan and so has the right to call the shots, the WBA should be ashamed, on what grounds are they ordering a rematch. A rematch makes sense but not like that.

The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:35 am

Khan should not fight again in washington the place has not held big tme boxing in over 20 years now people know why. The fight should be in Vegas where it would sell wel but Khan needs to avoid washington and Peterson needs to realise he should fight somewhere more neutral.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:59 am

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Do think there's a big big difference between the Maidana, McCloskey and Barrera fights to the Peterson one, in the first three there was only ever going to be one legitimate winner and he won, against Peterson he could have got the decision.

The Maidana fight was also very close and Khan should have also had a point deduction, rather than letting him get away with holding and deducting a point off Maidana for using his head in frustration..

The Barrera fight was a joke and they let Berrera fight with one eye covered in blood before calling the fight early to the judges... Berrera started the fight ok and the fight clearly should have been called a no contest when it was apparent the cut (which was caused by a head but) was an big issue.

McClosky fight, admittedly Khan looked like he was starting to win the fight and grind MK down, but in the early rounds he looks rubbish and could not land, McClosky was tricky, and was robbed of a few more rounds to see what he could do... Khan team was very happy to end a messy fight where he did not look good at all... funny how the reff stepped in so quick, I guess the advantage of being with GB... All of these fights, had it been the other way around then Khan and GB would have kicked up a Huge stink. Khan is a very good boxer, but not as good as their demands imply.

The Peterson fight was fair, it was a very close fight and a rematch is a good idea, but the way Khan and GB have claimed it as their right and as if it was down to foul play they lost is simply bad looser's and disrespect to the sport of boxing.

Last edited by tunes666 on Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:01 am; edited 1 time in total

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:01 am

Very one sided way of looking at things.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:01 am

The Washington thing was just something he said in the heat of the moment, it's not a big boxing place, he won't be getting invited back to the Whitehouse that's for sure, and to think he had invited the president to watch him.

Vegas would be the best option but they should favour Petersons more aggressive style in the close rounds.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:46 am

Lance wrote:i think peterson won the fight fairly, but it was close and i have no problem with khan getting his rematch. but it will be a tough fight for amir and with the odds ive seen about i think peterson might be good value

Agreed. I had it 113-112 to Peterson with the deductions, 112-113 Khan without. Close fight, neither man can say they won convincingly. The various cack Team Khan have come up with so far is all technicalities and slight fishiness at worst. I'd like to see a rematch based on the quality and closeness of the first fight, but also a rubber if Khan wins as you can be sure as hell he won't offer Peterson a rematch otherwise.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:51 am

Waingro wrote:Khan should not fight again in washington the place has not held big tme boxing in over 20 years now people know why. The fight should be in Vegas where it would sell wel but Khan needs to avoid washington and Peterson needs to realise he should fight somewhere more neutral.

What was the last fight in DC and what was result? Was there any controversy? Can you list a selection of previously highly controversial fights in DC?

In short, do you have anything to back up your claim about why DC hasn't had boxing in 20 years or are you just too daft to establish your own thoughts and have to gobble up the nuggets of idiocy that tumble from Khan's mouth everytime he opens it?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:05 am

Wht wasnt the fight in the Mandaley Bay where Khan normally fights?

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:54 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:
In short, do you have anything to back up your claim about why DC hasn't had boxing in 20 years or are you just too daft to establish your own thoughts and have to gobble up the nuggets of idiocy that tumble from Khan's mouth everytime he opens it?

thats one of this rotatable questions. imo.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:56 am

Jones Jr vs Hopkins?

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:33 am

Khan and Maidana should fight an eliminator for a shot at the champ.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by lovely_london Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:24 am

I don't understand why a rematch has been ordered. So far it seems a rematch has been ordered because some guy was talking to the judges during the fight.

Seems a little extreme to order a rematch on that.

lovely_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:48 am

Think it has more to do with apparent harsh refereeing which swung a close fight in favour of Peterson, a rematch is the fairest thing but not because of any controversy but because of the closeness of the fight.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by lovely_london Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:20 am

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Think it has more to do with apparent harsh refereeing which swung a close fight in favour of Peterson, a rematch is the fairest thing but not because of any controversy but because of the closeness of the fight.

if they want a rematch that's fine but to have it ordered is extreme.

will david haye get a rematch ordered with klitschko because the ref said it was a knock down when klitschko never punched him?

lovely_london

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:29 am

Didn't change the outcome of the fight there.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:43 am

lovely_london wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:Think it has more to do with apparent harsh refereeing which swung a close fight in favour of Peterson, a rematch is the fairest thing but not because of any controversy but because of the closeness of the fight.

will david haye get a rematch ordered with klitschko because the ref said it was a knock down when klitschko never punched him?

The simple reason for it would be that the points deductions made the difference, it's not unheard of governing bodies ordering rematches after controversial fights, lets forget about all the tosh Khan and his team have spouted for a moment because it was a controversial result.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:27 am

You mean Harsh in that he was Warned over and over again not to push, but still pushed him about 2 meters away... or that Peterson was given a knock down in the first round when it was a push by Khan?

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by lovely_london Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:29 am

Imperial Ghosty wrote:
lovely_london wrote:

The simple reason for it would be that the points deductions made the difference, it's not unheard of governing bodies ordering rematches after controversial fights, lets forget about all the tosh Khan and his team have spouted for a moment because it was a controversial result.

he got deducted points for pushing. he was warned many times not to push so don't see how he can complain.

lovely_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:38 am

tunes666 wrote:

You mean Harsh in that he was Warned over and over again not to push, but still pushed him about 2 meters away... or that Peterson was given a knock down in the first round when it was a push by Khan?

Putting aside your personal dislike for him for one second, the deductions were by the letter of the book but they were still harsh, without them he wins a unanimous decision hence the enforced rematch.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by lovely_london Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:03 am

Imperial Ghosty wrote:
tunes666 wrote:

Putting aside your personal dislike for him for one second, the deductions were by the letter of the book but they were still harsh, without them he wins a unanimous decision hence the enforced rematch.

I think this loss to Peterson has messed up Khan big time. he was on course for a mayweather showdown but now with mayweather possibly fighting Manny and then having a jail sentence i don't see how he will fight Khan.

Also check your inbox.

lovely_london

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:39 pm

Would fancy Khan to win a re-match but can see it being a close fight again. Peterson knows how to he can trouble Khan on the inside and will try to keep the fight in the pocket.
Will be interesting to see the tactics Khan will employ to prevent this.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:52 am

Amir Khan says the World Boxing Association granted him a rematch against Lamont Peterson because of "multiple irregularities".

They allegedly include "questionable decisions" by referee Joseph Cooper and mystery man Mustafa Ameen's "apparent intrusion into the scoring process".

Khan lost his WBA and IBF titles to Peterson in December after he was docked two points by Cooper.

He also alleged Ameen "interfered" with a WBA ringside official.

In a statement, Golden Boy Promotions and Khan Promotions* said: "Peterson's split-decision victory over Khan in Washington DC has been riddled with controversy as a result of a plethora of anomalies in connection with the bout, including:

referee Joseph Cooper not counting a knockdown of Peterson and deducting two points from Khan for pushing (something for which points are almost never deducted), both of which ended up having a direct impact on the outcome of the fight;

the ringside appearance of an unauthorised individual in Mustafa Ameen who apparently handled official scoring slips, seemingly communicated with fight officials throughout the fight and appeared to be photographed posing with a celebrating Team Peterson in the ring following the fight;

and possible differences between the score sheet of the WBA and those of the IBF and the District of Columbia Boxing and Wrestling Commission."

The statement added: "Acting under its authority pursuant to WBA Rule C.26, the WBA concluded that the bout's outcome was impacted by referee Joseph Cooper's questionable failure to credit Khan with a knockdown in round one and his questionable decisions to deduct points from Khan in rounds seven and 12.

"As further cause to order the rematch, the WBA also pointed to Mr Ameen's apparent intrusion into the scoring process as well as possible discrepancies between the score sheets of the two sanctioning organizations and the local athletic commission.

"In its resolution mandating the rematch, the WBA went out of its way to note that, under normal circumstances, it would not disturb the discretionary function of a referee.

"However, in this case, because of the multiple irregularities, it was necessary for it to order the rematch."

Despite the WBA granting a rematch, Peterson could choose not to fight Khan and to relinquish the WBA title instead.

Khan gave his own reaction to the news, insisting he will prove to his fans that his defeat last month was illegitimate.

"I'm pleased that justice has been done and the WBA has ordered an immediate rematch. All we ask as sportsmen is for a fair and level playing field when we compete.

"Lamont Peterson proved in our fight that he is a great competitor and I hope that a second bout will be just as exciting.

IBF APPEAL PANELContinue reading the main story Jack Reiss (referee) of California Sam Viruet (referee) of New York Glenn Feldman (boxing judge) of Connecticut "I want to prove without doubt that I'm the best in the 140lb division by taking care of business in the rematch."

Khan alleges that WBA official Michael Welsh suffered interference at ringside during the fight from Ameen.

The IBF has scheduled a hearing in Newark, New Jersey, on 18 January, but the organisation does not know whether Welsh will attend.

Asif Vali, Khan's business manager, says the IBF should also order a rematch.

"We're not saying something happened, we're not saying something didn't happen," said Vali.

"Mustafa Ameen will explain himself at the hearing and it will be interesting to hear what he says.

"Ultimately, one organisation [the WBA] have ordered a rematch because they feel some irregularities have happened on the evidence of what we've supplied them.

"If the WBA are [offering a rematch] then the IBF should do it as well."

The IBF has also confirmed to BBC Sport the identities of the panel that will hear the appeal.

Jack Reiss of California, Sam Viruet of New York - who are both referees - and Glenn Feldman, a boxing judge from Connecticut, will conduct the hearing.

The panel will have up to 10 days to deliver judgement and, if they allow Peterson to keep the IBF belt, a rematch is less likely.

*In a previous version of this report, the statement from Golden Boy Promotions and Khan Promotions was attributed in error to the WBA.

Fair enough about the knockdown that wasn't counted I suppose, referee made a big mistake by saying it was a slip.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next