The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Magic Ticket

+2
JDizzle
Hoggy_Bear
6 posters

Go down

The Magic Ticket Empty The Magic Ticket

Post by Hoggy_Bear Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:00 pm

Shamelessly ripping off a column from today's Guardian, if you could chose to watch live any day's play in the history of cricket, which would it be?
Personally I'd go for something from the distant past. Grace scoring the first ever hundred before lunch in 1873 perhaps, or S.F. Barnes taking the new ball at Melbourne on 30th December 1911. Or Hobbs and Sutcliffe batting on a sticky wicket at the Oval on August 17th 1926, or Stan McCabe's 232 at Nottingham in 1938, or Bradman's 309 in a day at Headingly 1930.
So if you could watch live any days play, or any period of play, from the whole history of cricket, which would it be?

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

The Magic Ticket Empty Re: The Magic Ticket

Post by JDizzle Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:13 pm

If my knowledge of who won could be expunged before hand, I would choose Day 4, Edgbaston in the 05 Ashes. I was abroad during that Test match so I never got to see it live and only read about it in the papers over the next days so I would love to be able to see that live without knowing the result.

If it was just for pure cricketing enjoyment, I would choose to see any of Hobbs and Sutcliffe's major partnerships together. As undoubtedly the best opening partnership in history, I would love to have seen them bat together. I am particularly fascinated by Sutcliffe as I think he gets overshadowed somewhat by Hobbs, and for a man averaging 60 in Tests to be overshadowed that is ridiculous. Hobbs must have been a hell of a player!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:49 pm

I would probably go back to my own early days and jet off to see any day of the South Africans walloping the Aussies in that '69 - '70 series. Arrrhhh - Barlow, the Pollocks, Procter, Lindsay, Goddard amongst others plus the world's greatest post war opening test batsman Richards. Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:50 pm

Perhaps the first ever day of test cricket...

or lords first day 05 ashes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:06 pm

MCG first day in '06 for Warnie's 700th... oh wait a sec I was there! king

Would have loved to see Wes Hall bowl live. Any day with him bowling then Sobers batting would have been fine for me.

Any of Bradman's hundreds, but the 309 in a day must have been special.

Would have loved to see all the great South African's in action.

McCabe's hundred in the bodyline series when he hooked, pulled, upper-cut everything Larwood threw at him.

Aus-SA semi-final in the 99 WC I think that would have been fairly special. From Pollock and Donald's opening salvos, to S. Waugh and Bevan's recovery effort, then Donald cleaning up the tail. SA got off to a flyer before a certain SK Warne produced one of the all-time great spells. Then Kallis and Rhodes got the run chase back on track but Warne returned and snared Kallis. Pollock hit a few blows, Klusener was dropped at long-on and looked for all money like he would take SA over the line. Then the mix-up (a euphemism obv.).

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:50 pm

The final day at Headingley in 1981 would be one of them what with Willis steaming in like a madman.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:05 pm

Eng v SA sf '92 - to see the iconic "SA need 22 runs to win off 1 ball" in real-life

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down