The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brock Lesner - Book Review

5 posters

Go down

Brock Lesner - Book Review Empty Brock Lesner - Book Review

Post by bretmeharty Thu 15 Dec 2011, 8:26 am

I have just finished reading his book and overall was quite interesting if a little short.

He really didn't go into much detail about his time with WWE, reason may have been that Brock stated this time in his life as a bit of a blur due to downing pills with vodka to try and help with the travel and injurys. He must of mentioned about how every city and hotel room looked the same about 5 or 6 times, he didn't like the travel at all.

I was surprised to read that he didn't have much if any love for the business you would have thought he got into it because of his college days as state champ or maybe he followed it a little or was eager to try it since he had acomplished all that he wanted in the amateur game, but to him it was all about moving up the card solely for that big cheque and all he talked about was how much money he made from it, at one point he said "to other guys performing at MSG or wherever was a big deal but to me I couldn't give a Poopie, I only cared about my cheque" - maybe he was just being honest where others aren't.

There was no real detail about any feuds he had or what guys were like but after getting into the book it didn't really matter. The lawsuits WWE and Brock had with each other was an interesting read along with his bad luck just before trying to start his NFL career and the way he started with UFC was good too.

To sum it up, after reading the book, I have slighty changed my opinion of Mr Lesner and have one thing to say. Of all the guys WWE/Vince could of given a monster push to they g ave it to a guy who really wasn't interested in doing anything for the business or his name within the business, it was all about getting paid then getting out which is the best way to do it I suppose, but since then younger guys have suffered due to WWE's lack of faith in pushing them and as a whole it has had a knock on affect on the business.

Thoughts of anyone who has or has not read it are welcome, be safe. Very Happy

bretmeharty

Back to top Go down

Brock Lesner - Book Review Empty Re: Brock Lesner - Book Review

Post by UpsideDownFace Thu 15 Dec 2011, 8:43 am

Cheers for posting this, didn't realise it was out. Really looking forward to reading it but only interested in the WWE side of things so if he doesn't really go into it, is it worth reading?

UpsideDownFace

Back to top Go down

Post by bretmeharty Thu 15 Dec 2011, 8:50 am

I must admit I mainly got it for the WWE part but it turns out it was only a small part but the fact he talks about his illness in detail is really interesting plus the UFC part as well so I'd say yeah its worth getting,

bretmeharty

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Thu 15 Dec 2011, 10:06 am

i expect its a pretty good read, id be interested in his other stuff apart from wwe myself. i dont think i blame him for having no interest in success in wrestling. he obviously does like wrestling, but it was so obvious to him that wwe isnt really propper wrestling and i expect he knew how long he'd be apart of wwe. i think he saw ufc as a real opportunity show what he could do and i respect him alot of for the punishment that sport does to you.

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by boomdangle Thu 15 Dec 2011, 7:55 pm

I agree perhaps a bit on the short side but i brought it more for his mma side.

He has always came across as incredibly private man so to even be privy to some of his world is a massive thing for him, you can see how he only gives glimpses he doesnt completly bare his soul and that is his choice.

After reading about his legal wrangle with the wwe perhaps there is some sort of clause were he cannot crucify them. Also like you say to do that cuts his nose off despite his face as has always said he would go back for a large pay day......no diffrent to getting mike tyson in, or every time hogan or rock are back for one thing the cash. brock doesnt hide or claim to be a great lover of the business, it isnt a everyday when i was a boy i wanted to wrestle story it was i have a talent for sports and ended up falling into the best paid thing i could get.

If anything this gives him more human and every man feel none of that wwe universe crap.

he hated the travelling and he was top of the card getting the top rooms flights etc so if it's a tough schedule for him imagine how it must be for lower carders. But if they come out and say this is rubbish working conditions they get canned.

I thought it was a good read and does seem to be his actual story not ghost written like many other books.

boomdangle

Back to top Go down

Post by bretmeharty Thu 15 Dec 2011, 10:16 pm

Some good points you make there

Just like for Warrior I have a massive amount of respect for the guys who manage to get out and not be trapped by Vince's lure of the doller because they have nothing.

bretmeharty

Back to top Go down

Post by poc.sco Fri 16 Dec 2011, 12:45 am

agreed with a few point here regarding the book...........

very vague in areas apart from those which you get the impression he truely loves, the NCAA wrestling, wrestling form a generally young age, his family and MMA.

I came away with an overall disappointed with the book feel, but hey again as others have said he is not the kind of person to bare his soul so should have expected this. Comparing it to THE HITMAN it is simply pants, although I would recommend a read but wait till its a good price.

Couple after thoughts:

I think he lacked business sense (fair play he is an athlete, not a businessman) when he walked away and any his lawyer must have been pulling his hair out when he signed an unchecked legal document. But i must say he seems much more upto speed now on that based on whats followed "once bitten twice shy"

Also many say he hated the travelling, are you forgetting........
***SPOLIER ALERT***

Vince got him a private Jet, still wasn't enough.

poc.sco

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down