The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Road to Wrestlemania 26

+3
Kay Fabe
Samo
Mr H
7 posters

Go down

Road to Wrestlemania 26 Empty Road to Wrestlemania 26

Post by Mr H Thu 15 Dec 2011, 5:15 pm

Was watching a few Youtube videos last night on the Road to Wrestlemania 26, and for me it goes down as one of the best in years. Batista really was superb in his promos with Cena, and the HBK/Taker build up was top top drawer. Although the match was a dud, Bret Hart's return and subsequent fued with Vince was enjoyable too.

My personal favourite Road to Wrestlemania was 1991 for Mania 7. Warrior/Savage, Hogan/Slaughter, Jake/Martel, The Undertaker's emergence. The card itself was stacked. Loved it.

My question is, what's your favourite RTWM?

On another note, an interesting comment by Triple H when presenting HBK with his Slammy for Match of the Year against The Undertaker at Wrestlemania 25. Obviously Hunter and Orton had an excellent build up to their match at Mania, it was brilliant, but the match itself stunk. HHH said when presenting Shawn the award 'If you havent seen this match go out and by the Wrestlemania 25 DVD, i know how good the match was because i had to follow it and i didnt stand a chance'. Basically admitting the match with Orton was a dud after the HBK/Taker epic.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Road to Wrestlemania 26 Empty Re: Road to Wrestlemania 26

Post by Samo Thu 15 Dec 2011, 5:19 pm

Mr H wrote: Basically admitting the match with Orton was a dud after the HBK/Taker epic.

I think ANY match would have been seen as a dud after that. Theres a reason the rebound went on last, there was no way to top it.

Edit: That said, 20 was probably my favourite road. Benoit jumping to RAW, Lesnar getting screwed by Goldberg, the Undertaker promos, brilliant.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 15 Dec 2011, 5:35 pm

The only reason HHH/Orton was a dud was because it was a straight up match, the match was built on hatred and and revenge yet the match simply didn't follow that up, three simple things should have happened that would easily made the match more enjoyable and a better specticle, plus it would have made for a better post Mania story

- The match should have been No Holds Barred to tie in with the hatred of their feud

- Orton should definitely have won, he was as hot as he's ever been at that point

- Orton should have won via a McMahon screwjob, personally I'd have used Kennedy then tied it in with him finally revealing he is the illigitmate son of Vince McMahon

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Thu 15 Dec 2011, 9:10 pm

I think you've hit the nail on the head there Mr H!..... Build up to Wrestlemania 7 was just superb. All the main fueds were perfectly paced.

The Martel Roberts one began before Survivor Series I think it was just fantastic story telling (for an excited 11 year old who'd just discovered this crazy world anyway)...

Perfect vs Boss Man again started months earlier with Boss Man running through the Heenan family to get a shot

Dibase vs Virgil was another slow burner that seeds were sown the year before

Warrior vs Savage just magic from Sherri's seductively begging Warrior for a title shot all the way through to Elizabeth's memorable return

Even the non title tag match LOD vs Power & Glory had an issue (P&G costing LOD tag title shot).... Boy I long for the days when build ups were slow, wins & losses actually meant some thing & titles were worth winning

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Fri 16 Dec 2011, 10:25 am

the-gaffer wrote:The only reason HHH/Orton was a dud was because it was a straight up match, the match was built on hatred and and revenge yet the match simply didn't follow that up, three simple things should have happened that would easily made the match more enjoyable and a better specticle, plus it would have made for a better post Mania story

- The match should have been No Holds Barred to tie in with the hatred of their feud

- Orton should definitely have won, he was as hot as he's ever been at that point

- Orton should have won via a McMahon screwjob, personally I'd have used Kennedy then tied it in with him finally revealing he is the illigitmate son of Vince McMahon

I have said this for a long time. They tried to put on a Wrestling clinique, but the build up didn't warrant it.

Orton should deffo have won, it was heis best run as heel.

My personal favourite build up is WM17. Everything between The Rock & Austin was pure gold.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Fri 16 Dec 2011, 5:01 pm

I have a few

WM18.
WM 20
WM 23
WM 26
WM 28 ?

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by DDT Sat 17 Dec 2011, 12:10 am

I loved the Rocks concerts in the build up to his match with Stone Cold at Mania 19. The Rock was obviously great as a face, but as a heel he was comedy gold, and arguably even more entertaining.

DDT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down