The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

British boxing 2011 - what went wrong??

+16
coxy0001
Seanusarrilius
manos de piedra
Imperial Ghosty
88Chris05
azania
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
d260005p
OasisBFC
DaveVDK
Adam D
AlexHuckerby
Rowley
School Project
trottb
Waingro
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

British boxing 2011 - what went wrong?? - Page 2 Empty British boxing 2011 - what went wrong??

Post by Waingro Mon 19 Dec 2011, 6:36 am

First topic message reminder :

Well lets be honest this had been a terrible last few months for British boxers it seems to just be getting worse and worse. We have had many of our fighters robbed for titles the Chisora fight was one of the worst robberies I have seen and now Froch has lost his title in a close fight with Ward that leaves us with just one world champion now who is Cleverly. There is more bad news to come Khan who as we all now lost to Peterson in a fight which he won imo has not been given an immediate rematch by the IBF. Imo this shows that they did want Khan to be champ there should have been a rematch. Khan can still appeal the decision to the State commission and the WBA which was the other belt so hopefully he can do this and maybe get his WBA title back or the decision overturned they did that for the Hopkins fight so why not Khan?? It seems like the rest of the world do not want British champs!! This has been a bad year for British boxers but on the bright side the only way is up for 2012!!Lets hope Froch, Khan and Haye can get rematches next year and the chance to win their titles back I think they can do it if these choose new tactics. We also have quality fighters like Brook who looks to be world class and should be a world champ and guys like Macklin, Murray and Chisora who have shown they are world class but harshly did not win titles these guys will get more opportunities next year hopefully. These guys all have lots to be proud of so lets get behind them for 2012! It is sad to see many people are turning on Froch just because he lost and saying he is not that good. This guy is a quality fighter who has done everyone proud imo he has always tried to fight the best and its just a shame he was not at his best for his fight with Ward but nobody can deny he gave 100% he just got the tactics wrong like Haye did. I hope people will not turn against him like they did with Haye I have read some comments on Frochs twitter page from fans saying he let them down and he lost them money from betting these are not real fans imo and Froch should not listen to them I hope true fans will stay behind him for next year where I think he can become a champ again. So lets not get to down about this year and look to the future and get behind our guys for 2012 and hope for some great fights!

Waingro

Back to top Go down

British boxing 2011 - what went wrong?? - Page 2 Empty Re: British boxing 2011 - what went wrong??

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 20 Dec 2011, 9:33 am

I never give 10/10 rounds, there isn't a point, I don't think I've seen a judge award a 10/10 round in the last ten years or so. I think they actually get told to try and not award 10/10 rounds anymore.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

British boxing 2011 - what went wrong?? - Page 2 Empty Re: British boxing 2011 - what went wrong??

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 20 Dec 2011, 9:38 am

I'm not above giving 10-10 rounds (I had the fifth as exactly that the other night, for instance) but try to avoid them if I can. I think in three minutes of boxing, it's almost impossible to think that one of the fighters won't at least show a little more quality in their work or land at least marginally cleaner punches, even if it is by a small amount.

117-112 Ward was my take, and that was being kind to Carl I have to say. Rounds 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8 and 11 to Ward if my memory is holding up, rounds 9, 10 and 12 to Froch with the fifth even.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 20 Dec 2011, 10:03 am

88Chris05 wrote:I'm not above giving 10-10 rounds (I had the fifth as exactly that the other night, for instance) but try to avoid them if I can. I think in three minutes of boxing, it's almost impossible to think that one of the fighters won't at least show a little more quality in their work or land at least marginally cleaner punches, even if it is by a small amount.

117-112 Ward was my take, and that was being kind to Carl I have to say. Rounds 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8 and 11 to Ward if my memory is holding up, rounds 9, 10 and 12 to Froch with the fifth even.

your forgetting calzaghe v hopkins chris, had to be one of the tightest fights ive seen with no quality whatsoever

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 20 Dec 2011, 10:14 am

compelling and rich wrote:
88Chris05 wrote:I'm not above giving 10-10 rounds (I had the fifth as exactly that the other night, for instance) but try to avoid them if I can. I think in three minutes of boxing, it's almost impossible to think that one of the fighters won't at least show a little more quality in their work or land at least marginally cleaner punches, even if it is by a small amount.

your forgetting calzaghe v hopkins chris, had to be one of the tightest fights ive seen with no quality whatsoever

You must have missed Hop's wonderful ability and skill at spoiling.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 20 Dec 2011, 10:19 am

az, big fan of b-hop but not his finest hour that night. ive seen his great defence and spoiling skills. that night it was simply hugging and throwing himself on the floor

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachine Tue 20 Dec 2011, 10:33 am

Spoiling is horrible to watch.

Glad Bhop lost. Any boxer who spoils is showing the darker side of boxing that already gets enough bad press. My moron friend who does MMA claims that boxing is "men hugging and headbutting by accident"

Yes, I've already put him to sleep on that, seeing as MMA is much more homo-erotic, however what if none boxing fans see something like Bhops spoiling and base their opinion on that?

JabMachine

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 20 Dec 2011, 11:24 am

Difficult though as sometimes the only way for a fighter to win is by spoiling, for example how on earth would B-Hop have beaten Pascal if he wasn't able to spoil? He would have lost hands down due to gassing completely.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Tue 20 Dec 2011, 12:52 pm

JabMachine wrote:Spoiling is horrible to watch.

Glad Bhop lost. Any boxer who spoils is showing the darker side of boxing that already gets enough bad press. My moron friend who does MMA claims that boxing is "men hugging and headbutting by accident"

Yes, I've already put him to sleep on that, seeing as MMA is much more homo-erotic, however what if none boxing fans see something like Bhops spoiling and base their opinion on that?

laughing

Post of the day (so far). Even beats Waingro arguing that a not close fight, where the British boxer was "schooled", was, in fact, close.

Frankly, it is my assertion that the extra rules of boxing make it a better spectacle. I've done Judo for 19 of the 23 years of my life - and I'm not a fan of MMA. I appreciate the skill - for sure. Jon Jones is one of the best athletes I've seen. But I'd still rather tune in to teleshopping than watch most of the fights.

oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by ThunderFist Wed 21 Dec 2011, 2:56 pm

Waingro wrote:Well lets be honest this had been a terrible last few months for British boxers it seems to just be getting worse and worse. We have had many of our fighters robbed for titles the Chisora fight was one of the worst robberies I have seen and now Froch has lost his title in a close fight with Ward

Close fight? What fight were you watching? It was anything but close. Man, I read a lot on here, dont post hardly at all but I had to log in because Ive read so much nonsense from you waingro.

You're walls of text hurt my eyes aswell.

Right, now Ive got through the first line I'll read the rest...

ThunderFist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2